• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like reading a sports manga.

Haikyuu or Kuroko?

Baby Steps is better than either, if you haven't read it yet.

And if you like Adachi, Mix is pretty good so far, although there's only like 11 chapters so far (the chapters are like 30-something pages each).

For the third time :p Last season they came back and animated 50 episodes after the 202 episode first run. Then they stopped because it was getting too close to the manga. This new season was reruns + three new arcs. There'll also be a movie this summer. It'll come back eventually. Hopefully they take a long enough break to come back and do like 50 more episodes.

Oh good I got scared for a sec there.

Kusagari

Haikyuu!!
Or Eyeshield 21
Read Baby Steps if you haven't already.
Haikyuu vol 1 is better than Kuroko vol 1 so I'm sure the same will hold true for the rest of the series. So read Haikyuu
Watch the Kuroko anime and read Haikyuu!!

I think I like Haikyuu!! more, everyone on Karasuno feels good to me and gets some attention, Kuroko feels as if only the GoM members and their direct partners are the only ones that matter.

I've already read Eyeshield and am in translation hell with everyone else for Baby Steps.

Guess I'll read Haikyuu first and then get around to the Kuroko anime or manga.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The current opponent in Baby Steps is a total gimmick opponent though.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Final Getsuga Tensho.

My assumption is that Ichigo lost every single cool guy power he had learned from that training since he was pretty much battering Aizen even before he used FGT.
Zangetsu was a cool guy, and he lost Zangetsu, so pretty much.

Also, Ichigo seemed to be battering Aizen (Kubo's rule of cool in effect, also everyone wanted to see Aizen get facepalmed); but in reality not at all. Ichigo exhausted his trump card and Aizen was still regenerating by the time Ichigo already regressed. In reality Ichigo didn't beat him. If not for Kisuke's magic, Ichigo would've got his ass whooped.

Kurita

Sakuragi is just jealous of Rukawa, that's all.
Kuroko is just so bland. And his gimmick of being invisible doesn't really help either.
I mean, it was funny when it was Ishimaru's gimmick in Eyeshield 21 since he was a minor character, but when it's your MC... Heh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zangetsu was a cool guy, and he lost Zangetsu, so pretty much.

Also, Ichigo seemed to be battering Aizen (Kubo's rule of cool in effect, also everyone wanted to see Aizen get facepalmed); but in reality not at all. Ichigo exhausted his trump card and Aizen was still regenerating by the time Ichigo already regressed. In reality Ichigo didn't beat him. If not for Kisuke's magic, Ichigo would've got his ass whooped.

Yeah but Ichigo wasn't even losing the fight at the point that he used FGT. He was totally kicking his ass in his Butterfree form even though everyone else got owned by pre-Metapod Aizen.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah but Ichigo wasn't even losing the fight at the point that he used FGT. He was totally kicking his ass in his Butterfree form even though everyone else got owned by pre-Metapod Aizen.
Yeah, he wasn't losing, but nothing was going to happen other than back and forths (and more Aizen regenerating) unless Ichigo did FGT, apparently. And that didn't work.

Angry Grimace

It'll be hilarious if it turns out he beat Nabae just by really pissing him off too :lol

I don't like the gimmick opponents though. This guy plus "drawing pictures with balls" guy are the only two annoying gimmick opponents so far.

survivor

Banned
Sakuragi is just jealous of Rukawa, that's all.
Kuroko is just so bland. And his gimmick of being invisible doesn't really help either.
I mean, it was funny when it was Ishimaru's gimmick in Eyeshield 21 since he was a minor character, but when it's your MC... Heh.

Oh yeah, the invisibility crap. I would actually believe it more if he turned invisible cause that would make more sense.

What volume are you at in Slam Dunk?

The current opponent in Baby Steps is a total gimmick opponent though.

As a tennis player, the "guy who purposefully pisses you off" feels very realistic to me. Like, I seriously hate his guts right now. It's not even in the same leagues of gimmick as painting guy.

Oh yeah, the invisibility crap. I would actually believe it more if he turned invisible cause that would make more sense.

The gimmicks in Kuroko are really annoyingly stupid. They're not cartoonishly fun like Eyeshield or so ridiculously moronic they become amusing like Prince of Tennis. They're just annoying.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Thanks, these earlier longer chapters really don't bother me because I get sucked into them so quickly, it's just a feeling of "wow a lot has happened where the heck am I? *still the same chapter from the least 3 times I checked* :O "
Yeah, that's how I felt for a while.

You're in for a hell of a ride.

I'm actually about to continue on with Chapter 219 right now.

Thanks, these earlier longer chapters really don't bother me because I get sucked into them so quickly, it's just a feeling of "wow a lot has happened where the heck am I? *still the same chapter from the least 3 times I checked* :O "

the nearest you'll get to that again is reading an entire volume in one sitting but you would know where each chapter begins/end :p

looking forward to seeing more impressions and more members added to the "waiting for more chapters" list :(

Kurita

What volume are you at in Slam Dunk?

Volume 4, need to get some more volumes. I really love it, Sakuragi is such a great character...
He often reminds me of Onizuka...

Akito

Haikyuu 33
The match was great and I appreciate the message that Karasuno are not quite there yet as a team, even though they have such an impressive player lineup.

upandaway

Baby Steps

I don't like the gimmick opponents though. This guy plus "drawing pictures with balls" guy are the only two annoying gimmick opponents so far.
We don't know what his deal is yet to be fair. He seems a bit more tricky that "that annoying guy" to be honest.

And even with the painter dude, in the end he was just a guy who's good at tennis, and Maruo beat him as just a guy who's good at tennis (the most important part of it). It wasn't that annoying.

Yeah, it was irritating at first. I'm now at a point where normal chapters with 20-30 pages are kinda disappointing. :lol

But yeah, you're in for a ride. The early chapters are rather tame. Can't wait for your impressions.

Akito

Haikyuu 34
iRnWlBoarA2vq.jpg
:lol

Nekoma is so similar to yet so different from Karasuno.

Angry Grimace

Which characters are you guys talking about?

Rowling decided to spare a certain character in Book 5 and literally took retribution for it by killing two other important characters for no real reason in Book 7, like 5 years after the fact.

The original draft of Order of the Phoenix had Arthur Weasley succumb to his injuries from the attack by Nagini, but Rowling changed it because she thought the book was too grim with both Sirius and Arthur dying. She then inexplicably took revenge for Arthur's survival by killing both Tonks and Lupin in Book 7 during the Battle of Hogwarts, which occurred off screen and left their son an orphan (she had already killed Tonks's father, as well).

Akito

Haikyuu 36
Kurita you lied to me, Shimizu did something useful and she even got a whole color page for herself. That has to count for something.

Hystzen

Its only terrible if the author is like JK Rowling and has some kind of bizarre mandatory body count for her own characters.

Most the major characters where even killed off page just a quick line saying oh yeah they dead. Such damn awful writing characters that are borderline key to his life just off paged

Angry Grimace

To clarify, I really love the HP series, so I pretty much forgive JKR for anything about the series I didn't like.

survivor

Banned
Yea never understood why she would kill of some of those characters (IIRC she made
a child an orphan near the end
)
Ok you mean
Lupin and Tonks? I was pretty pissed at their death

ok, I see AG explained it. Didn't know about the change

Rowling decided to spare a certain character in Book 5 and literally took retribution for it by killing two other important characters for no real reason in Book 7, like 5 years after the fact.

The original draft of Order of the Phoenix had Arthur Weasley succumb to his injuries from the attack by Nagini, but Rowling changed it because she thought the book was too grim with both Sirius and Arthur dying. She then inexplicably took revenge for Arthur's survival by killing both Tonks and Lupin in Book 7 during the Battle of Hogwarts, which occurred off screen and left their son an orphan (she had already killed Tonks's father, as well).
Didn't know about this change of plan, very interesting.

Which characters are you guys talking about?

Spoilers for Harry Potter 7

Burbage, Tonk's father, Scrimgeour, Hedwig, Mad-eye, Wormtail, Dobby, Crabbe, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Snape, Colin Crevey, Bellatrix Lestrange, and Voldemort

Some of them seem like they were killed just to be killed to create some kind of tension of "oh who's going to live in the end"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom