• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe I missed out on some HP discussion.

I have to have my say. Book 3 is my favorite with 2 coming a close 2nd. After book 4 the series took a dive imo and 5 was atrocious writing of character. 7's ending was just painful to read. >.>^

One big criticism I have for Rowling is that she cannot do action for shit. So many spells and crap and they were never used, such a disappointment. /end rant

Manga discussion:

Beelzebub: OgaBeel pwns Nasu lol, loved it!

Btoom! 54: Whoa Ryouta got some help, too bad these chapters take so long to come out.

Pokemon: Pokemon Gen 4 is the best, online battles ftw. Treeko is best Grass starter, Charmander is best Fire starter and Squirtle is best water starter.

No I'm making a logical explanation. Mass popularity has absolutely nothing to do with the quality (or lack of) of a work. One Piece has everything it takes to be a massively popular series and more, but unlike the Japanese market it's been treated terribly in the Western market and literally destroyed any chance of it having any exposure.

I don't see why you are making excuses for OP. If its been treated terribly here then it must be treated terribly everywhere else where it isn't popular.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Plus, barely anybody saw that animated Pirates movie recently, and it was actually really good. Just wasn't a draw.

I don't think anyone is actually buying the argument that Pirates of the Caribbean was popular because it was about pirates.

Big One

Banned
So much wrong with this statement. Pirates succeeded because of Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom (coming off the LOTR hype) and Disney. Period. No one goes to see just any movie on pirates, and I'd argue pirates are hardly more popular than cowboys/ninjas/samurai/any other bygone romanticized genre.
I'm not denying the stars weren't draws. Stars are always draws in pretty much every movie. But let me reiterate here: To simply it as that is ridiculous and insulting to the process of movie-making itself.

It isn't just stars that make money, but the production values too. The CG in Pirates for example was very well-done and innovative at the time (particularly in the second movie). Basically the movie had so much money spent on it, so much advertisement, and hype behind all four films that it's built for success.

It isn't just "Oh here's a movie with Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom." becomes an instant success, many factors create a success, and pretty much all of them have to do with mass appeal.

And part of that appeal, is the theme. Anything Eastern isn't even remotely close to the popularity of something like pirates and cowboys to the West. You can't just throw anything on a movie and make instant money off of it, it has to have some aspect of mass appeal.

But that's all irrelevant in the long run. For a product to have actual mass appeal it has to have certain aspects that pretty much anyone can get, and One Piece has those even more-so than Naruto and Bleach does. The problem with One Piece is really the lack of exposure it got compared to these two series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Would have been much better than the shithead we got.

Aizen turning evil is still the most corny fucking reveal ever. I still laugh about him revealing he's evil by fucking slicking his hair back like Gordon Gekko.

Slam Dunk 56 - 67
tumblr_mjopcuylCg1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Excellent cover. Too bad the contents were really terrible. I honestly dont ever like simple fights that are rather pointless and needless in the blood and violence content. The whole affair just felt really dragged out and long and reminded me why I had stopped reading this for a few weeks. Mitsu is just really uninteresting (thought looked cool in the past) and the fights were just boring and a drag to read through. There were decent moments but why was Rukawa knocked out of commission, didnt make sense, as well as Ryota just basically sitting out on the whole thing and crying. Really kind of ruined his character for a bit, hopefully he stays epic on the court, Rukawa redeems himself, and both work with Sakuragi. Im ready for basketball.

Aizen turning evil is still the most corny fucking reveal ever. I still laugh about him revealing he's evil by fucking slicking his hair back like Gordon Gekko.

Its funny he pretty much did a Clark Kent to Superman thing (complete with the glasses lol), but this Superman doesn't give a fuck.

Honestly i would prefer the trolling/scheming stuff compared to the "emo/suffering" stuff thats currently goin on with that other dude.

Angry Grimace

I'm not denying the stars weren't draws. Stars are always draws in pretty much every movie. But let me reiterate here: To simply it as that is ridiculous and insulting to the process of movie-making itself.

It isn't just stars that make money, but the production values too. The CG in Pirates for example was very well-done and innovative at the time (particularly in the second movie). Basically the movie had so much money spent on it, so much advertisement, and hype behind all four films that it's built for success.

It isn't just "Oh here's a movie with Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom." becomes an instant success, many factors create a success, and pretty much all of them have to do with mass appeal.

And part of that appeal, is the theme. Anything Eastern isn't even remotely close to the popularity of something like pirates and cowboys to the West. You can't just throw anything on a movie and make instant money off of it, it has to have some aspect of mass appeal.

But that's all irrelevant in the long run. For a product to have actual mass appeal it has to have certain aspects that pretty much anyone can get, and One Piece has those even more-so than Naruto and Bleach does. The problem with One Piece is really the lack of exposure it got compared to these two series.
It's pretty funny you just type all these huge paragraphs out like its totally backed up by irrefutable market research when in reality you're just throwing out a bunch of completely baseless generalizations off the top of your head like "Anything Eastern isn't even remotely close to the popularity of something like pirates and cowboys to the West."

All I'm saying is that its very convenient that your chosen, totally unsupported explanation happens to be the one in which everyone would have the exact same opinions as you but for some third party malfeasance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

He let down his hair and took off his glasses. His evil reveal was the same as a nerdy but secretly hot girl.

Big One

Banned
It's pretty funny you just type all these huge paragraphs out like its totally backed up by irrefutable market research when in reality you're just throwing out a bunch of completely baseless generalizations off the top of your head like "Anything Eastern isn't even remotely close to the popularity of something like pirates and cowboys to the West."
That isn't a generalization, that's a fact. A movie about ninja staring Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom wouldn't be even remotely close as successful as Pirates of Caribbean. There's a reason everytime a movie is released that has some type of ninja/samurai/kung-fu/Asian base to it, that it's never really successful in the box office.

All I'm saying is that its very convenient that your chosen, totally unsupported explanation happens to be the one in which everyone would have the exact same opinions as you but for some third party malfeasance.
I'm only stating the facts for this situation, I'm not giving any opinions here. There is never, ever a single lining to a franchise's success.

That isn't a generalization, that's a fact. A movie about ninja staring Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom wouldn't be even remotely close as successful as Pirates of Caribbean. There's a reason everytime a movie is released that has some type of ninja/samurai/kung-fu/Asian base to it, that it's never really successful in the box office.

I'm only stating the facts for this situation, I'm not giving any opinions here. There is never, ever a single lining to a franchise's success.

Kung-fu panda wasnt successful?

Angry Grimace

Facts are things that can be verified by reference to reputable sources, not just a really strong opinion held by some guy on the internet. You're making shit up again.

Big One

Banned
So then why can't you say that Pirates is a high budget Disney action film more so than a pirates flick?
You can? I'm confused where you guys are getting this idea I'm saying Pirates is successful primarily because of it's theme.

The only thing I'm stating is that there are multiple factors in how a story becomes a success, not just one.

Angry Grimace

How exactly are box office numbers made-up or not verifiable?

Because the facts in question aren't box office numbers; you're making a comparison of a real movie to an entire genre of imaginary movies and then saying because this delusional fake comparison comes out really well, obviously Pirates are more marketable than ninjas to teenage boys who watch anime.

Big One

Banned
Because the facts in question aren't box office numbers; you're making a comparison of a real movie to an entire genre of imaginary movies and then saying because this delusional fake comparison comes out really well, obviously Pirates are more marketable than ninjas to teenage boys who watch anime.
There are literally hundreds of ninja movies out there, nothing imaginary about that.

untitled20.jpg

Onani Master Kurosawa 5-6

Well that worked out well, though it was pretty obvious the girl was going to find out about him at the end.

Afro continues to be such a great guy. Really glad he's part of the group and hopefully there will be more of him interacting with Kuro.

Beelzebub 196

AKA Nasu's Beatdown Part 2. Final panel was particulary good and I was happy to see (however brief) super milk time again.

Angry Grimace

There are literally hundreds of ninja movies out there, nothing imaginary about that.

Yeah, except the comparison YOU made involved movies starring Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. You're just moving the goalposts around.

survivor

Banned
You can? I'm confused where you guys are getting this idea I'm saying Pirates is successful primarily because of it's theme.

The only thing I'm stating is that there are multiple factors in how a story becomes a success, not just one.
What I was trying to get at is that first you said this:
but we have a perfect example of Eastern themed movie that did just as well and it's Kung Fu Panda. So really I don't think the pirates theme is inherently more popular than ninjas, samurais or whatever. In fact, it's probably the other way around, and Pirates actually popularized the pirates era and brought it back to mainstream.

Angry Grimace

Maybe if he wishes hard enough, he can retroactively transform the Last Samurai into a huge box office failure

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kabu no Isaki 26

All caught up, and like YKK this manga is just super relaxing. There's a real tranquility you can feel from the manga as weird as that sounds. You can really feel the love of planes and flying here too.

Also, the art sometimes can be just beautiful. Not technically amazing but the atmosphere it evokes is just beautiful.

Eusis

I honestly think (pre crysalis) he looked way creepier as just glasses-shaggy-hair-guy
I just liked the idea that they had someone who looked kinda like Bill Gates as the main villain, completely atypical of a (manga/anime) villain. But nope, smash glasses and slick back hair! At least when Phoenix Wright did similar they went completely overboard.

survivor

Banned
Nobunaga no Chef 1
TD2bE9f.jpg

I liked the first chapter. A lot. I mean I still don't care that much for the food aspect (I don't even know most of the ingredients they are naming), but it still managed to make me care about the MC and follow what he did. I hope there won't be any "I know the past so I will use that knowledge to make Nobunaga win his battles" cause that's lame and it sucks. Just focus more on cooking and Nobunaga being awesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nobunaga no Chef 1
TD2bE9f.jpg

I liked the first chapter. A lot. I mean I still don't care that much for the food aspect (I don't even know most of the ingredients they are naming), but it still managed to make me care about the MC and follow what he did. I hope there won't be any "I know the past so I will use that knowledge to make Nobunaga win his battles" cause that's lame and it sucks. Just focus more on cooking and Nobunaga being awesome.

Seems like it's going that way.

Though it looks more like giving Oda an advantage in politics instead of some weird "modern food makes you stronger!" thing.

ST&RS 01-32

58tZVMnl.jpg

I love this cover.

I like this. It's definitely different mostly in the whole end goal of going into space which is a refreshing new concept. The whole examination was pretty fun to read through and I like the art. Of course, after the examination, I definitely see the signs of its getting cancel so hurry the crap up with the plot which was funny to see especially with the shoe-horned new girl and the super sudden finding of the third child. I look forward to seeing how this ends at least now.

Lain

Evergreen:D volume 3 [END]
TAm.jpg

What a pointless ending. OK, this got canned so I guess the author had to rush an ending, but showing that Ryosuke's sister is basically the person behind these Green monsters and a person that doesn't give a fuck about her brother with a 2 pages telephone call between her and the woman in charge of the anti Green unit was lame. Just as lame as the revelation about who the masked woman was. To add insult to injury, nothing has a resolution (well, duh).
Such a waste of money on my part.

upandaway

"oh wow, that's the most pages this thread got overnight that i can remember! let's see what caus- oh"

".....oh"

I will trust this and revisit 2012 at York Shin soon. It is the best arc, afterall.
Yes!
RDB0P4s.png
The new anime got a lot better at Yorkshin and kept being that way. They're at the Razor match in GI right now and it's really really really satisfying, a lot more than the old anime.

Not to mention, with this recent track record of more lenient censorship, they're doing the Ant arc. You gotta jump back, man. You just gotta.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Slam Dunk 56 - 67
tumblr_mjopcuylCg1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Excellent cover. Too bad the contents were really terrible. I honestly dont ever like simple fights that are rather pointless and needless in the blood and violence content. The whole affair just felt really dragged out and long and reminded me why I had stopped reading this for a few weeks. Mitsu is just really uninteresting (thought looked cool in the past) and the fights were just boring and a drag to read through. There were decent moments but why was Rukawa knocked out of commission, didnt make sense, as well as Ryota just basically sitting out on the whole thing and crying. Really kind of ruined his character for a bit, hopefully he stays epic on the court, Rukawa redeems himself, and both work with Sakuragi. Im ready for basketball.

That fight really drags on. Can't believe he really dragged it out throughout an entire volume.

American Football rules though.

Naaahhhhhhhhhhh. It's pretty boring. Then again, I also find soccer boring to watch.

We can never know now, can we, since we don't have anyone making it (damn now I want one.) And plenty of "East" style movie has enjoyed success in Box Office, for example:

Maybe if he wishes hard enough, he can retroactively transform the Last Samurai into a huge box office failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom