• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Assassination Classroom

Kinda surprised we didn't get a full training chapter, the snipits we saw looked pretty fun. Going to be real curious how they manage to make the class able to pitch effectively though against a skilled team.

Stinky

Magi

Holy shit, this guy is like the magician version of Hitler.

DWt4laq.png

Stinky

You know what would be fun? If you went back a couple of thread and looked at all the people defending Mogamett.

You can empathise with him in a way, dude just wants a magician country without the prejudice they face.

Except for the fact that his prejudice is even worse against non-magicians. The 5th level district is a straight up concentration camp for harvesting magoi.

Wiseblade

You can empathise with him in a way, dude just wants a magician country without the prejudice they face.

Except for the fact that his prejudice is even worse against non-magicians. The 5th level district is a straight up concentration camp for harvesting magoi.

Bu-But the people there get free food and don't have to work! They're living the life!

survivor

Banned
Nobunaga no Chef 2-3

Do people really break down and start crying when they taste good food? I don't know, I just don't see it happening.

Time for war now, cooking on the battlefield should be fun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nobunaga no Chef 2-3

Do people really break down and start crying when they taste good food? I don't know, I just don't see it happening.

Time for war now, cooking on the battlefield should be fun.

Seems more like he broke down from remembering his homeland.

medaka box ..

So so everything was really reversed .. so even "her" can come back from being dead ?

Awesome....
I wonder how they'll make the next arc crazier but i'll bite.

Kurita

I really don't like the actor they picked for Ken
bOxaw7Y.jpg
Au3ID3R.jpg

Yeah he doesn't really look like him...
I thought the first episode was quite enjoyable though since there a few differences with the manga like his encounter with Nobunaga... Seems like Natsu will be used as a sidekick since she was with Ken in the castle. I'll watch the entire series while reading the manga.

Fairy Tail

Hehe. I never even remember that a chapter is out until someone mentions it. I thought for a second that the future person would be Gerard, since he is always there :p Rogue has a similar marking on his face. It seems like Rogue took over Sting since he has both black and white and black hair. I think he is a twin Dragon Slayer now.

Fairy Tail

Hehe. I never even remember that a chapter is out until someone mentions it. I thought for a second that the future person would be Gerard, since he is always there :p Rogue has a similar marking on his face. It seems like Rogue took over Sting since he has both black and white and black hair. I think he is a twin Dragon Slayer now.

I thought it would have been a return of dark mage zeref and his acnologlia.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Niseshit

I love the fact that the generic cuteness bullshit in Nisekoi extends even to Raku's dumb friend, who all of the girls treat as repulsive even though he doesn't look all that fucking different from Raku.

As for shitty Onodera and Raku, does Naoshi realize these characters are supposed to be like 15 or 16 and now in fact 10 year olds?

Azure J

Zenkichi Box 186

Is this literally the first time in the series we've seen some of the actual faculty/teachers in Hakoniwa? Wow. :lol

Got to admit, I'm happy to see Zen man up like that.

Spicy Spies

This was all kinds of fun to read. The artstyle works for such a frantic speed this was going, the story was pretty funny and the characters are all pretty fun. I look forward to more done by this mangaka.

lordmrw

D. Gray Man Volume 14

IdfuPZX.png

Nice wrap up to the battles in the Ark. The entire Ark section is probably my favorite part of D Gray Man so far, really enjoyed it overall. Hoshino keeps teasing a fight with the Earl only to have him run away before it starts, damn it! Oh well. Earl is still a very fun villain at any rate. The new villain from Central introduced seems kinda silly, with the hitler moustache and whatnot. Laying it on a bit thick.

FrdPdxb.png

Lots of mystery introduced this volume as well. Yay. At the end, a new Noah invaded the Black Order. This is where I've heard it starts going bad. Nevertheless, I have the next two volumes sitting behind me. Wonder if I should read the ones after 15/16 considering all the bad things I've read, or pretend they don't exist and make up my own ending.

Sometimes, that's for the best.

Its around volume 19 or 20 that it dips in quality, something like chapter 188 or 189. Trust me you'll know immediately! The art jumps off a cliff and becomes a confusing mess for about 15 chapters before becoming readable again. I think you mentioned wanting to see the exorcist generals fight well then volume 15 and 16 are going to be ridiculous for you.

Shouta

I really don't like the actor they picked for Ken
bOxaw7Y.jpg
Au3ID3R.jpg

Actually, the reason why they picked him was because he had a pretty memorable challenge on another program where he was charged with living a month off 100 dollars. The rent was paid but the utilities and food were on him to figure out.

He hadn't cooked before at all and hadn't lived by himself but got the hang of it and survived on a diet where the main ingredient was onions the entire time, lol. Producers were really impressed with it so they decided to ask him to do this drama.

Big One

Banned
Yeah, except the comparison YOU made involved movies starring Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. You're just moving the goalposts around.
I didn't make a comparison at all, I'm just stating facts here. A ninja movie with those two actors really wouldn't do as well as a movie where both of them are cowboys or pirates, because the themes of cowboys and pirates resonate more with a Western audience.

People in West did NOT grow up hearing stories about ninja/samurai/whatever, they grew up hearing stories about cowboys and pirates. It's ingrained into our culture, and it's why pretty much in the majority of the cases that movies with an Eastern aesthetic fail to grab the attention that a movie with cowboys in it.

Lol. Did you not started reading Naruto like a year, year and a half ago?
I've read and watched the entirety of Naruto Part 1 years ago. What I never read was Part 2 of the series.

What I was trying to get at is that first you said this:

but we have a perfect example of Eastern themed movie that did just as well and it's Kung Fu Panda. So really I don't think the pirates theme is inherently more popular than ninjas, samurais or whatever. In fact, it's probably the other way around, and Pirates actually popularized the pirates era and brought it back to mainstream.
The Eastern aesthetic is only popular with weeaboos. If there was a huge market for samurai and ninja it would've already been touched upon by Hollywood in the vein pirates have.

Maybe if he wishes hard enough, he can retroactively transform the Last Samurai into a huge box office failure
Exceptions are never the rule.

Kurita

Actually, the reason why they picked him was because he had a pretty memorable challenge on another program where he was charged with living a month off 100 dollars. The rent was paid but the utilities and food were on him to figure out.

He hadn't cooked before at all and hadn't lived by himself but got the hang of it and survived on a diet where the main ingredient was onions the entire time, lol. Producers were really impressed with it so they decided to ask him to do this drama.

Ah, didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I didn't make a comparison at all, I'm just stating facts here. A ninja movie with those two actors really wouldn't do as well as a movie where both of them are cowboys or pirates, because the themes of cowboys and pirates resonate more with a Western audience.

People in West did NOT grow up hearing stories about ninja/samurai/whatever, they grew up hearing stories about cowboys and pirates. It's ingrained into our culture, and it's why pretty much in the majority of the cases that movies with an Eastern aesthetic fail to grab the attention that a movie with cowboys in it.

I've read and watched the entirety of Naruto Part 1 years ago. What I never read was Part 2 of the series.

The Eastern aesthetic is only popular with weeaboos. If there was a huge market for samurai and ninja it would've already been touched upon by Hollywood in the vein pirates have.

Exceptions are never the rule.
Right, when you provide a single example its a rule, but when I provide a single counter example its an exception. Gimme a fucking break, man.

Seriously, your entire theory is predicated on Pirates of the Caribbean making money - you argued that an Eastern themed movie with a similarly big star as Johnny Depp wouldn't be popular. Oh, what do you know, the Last Samurai is exactly the exemplar you were referring to and it pulled $500m at the box office. Let's also not forget that Kung Fu Panda pulled like $650m and even Crouching Tiger pulled like $130m domestic despite not even being in fucking English.

You're just making stuff up and dismissing all evidence to the contrary because it doesn't reinforce the things you made up.

Soutaisei Moteron 01

Qjz2zHg.png

Three people want to be popular, so they attempt to make a Let's Get Popular club.

While this has been done to death, the characters are at least interesting and this seems to be more wacky banter between the characters instead of pandering which at least is a new twist.

Big One

Banned
Right, when you provide a single example its a rule, but when I provide a single counter example its an exception. Gimme a fucking break, man.
Pirates isn't a single example, it's just one of many successful pirate themed movies out there.

The success of Pirates really overides everything. All four films are some of the highest grossing movies of all time. OF ALL TIME. That's huge.

Seriously, your entire theory is predicated on Pirates of the Caribbean making money - you argued that an Eastern themed movie with a similarly big star as Johnny Depp wouldn't be popular. Oh, what do you know, the Last Samurai is exactly the exemplar you were referring to and it pulled $500m at the box office. Let's also not forget that Kung Fu Panda pulled like $650m and even Crouching Tiger pulled like $130m domestic despite not even being in fucking English.
And none of those movies have to do with ninja or shinigami, nor did they even make remotely as much as all four Pirates movies.

You got three movies, I got four: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl ($650 mill), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($1,066 mill), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End ($963 mill), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides ($1,043 mill).

Every single one of these prove that a movie with pirates is simply more successful than a movie with any form of Asian aesthetic.
You're just making stuff up and dismissing all evidence to the contrary because it doesn't reinforce the things you made up.
I haven't made up anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom