• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

Junjou Karen na Oretachi da! v1
iUtg4qar58Prf.jpg
Uh, so this is a volleyball manga about a self-centered setter, who got kicked out from his team for being a jerk and a short guy with a super jump. They hate each other's guts but are forced to play together and the new team that they've joined is a former power house.
I swear I've read this story somewhere before.

survivor

Banned
Actually, the reason why they picked him was because he had a pretty memorable challenge on another program where he was charged with living a month off 100 dollars. The rent was paid but the utilities and food were on him to figure out.

He hadn't cooked before at all and hadn't lived by himself but got the hang of it and survived on a diet where the main ingredient was onions the entire time, lol. Producers were really impressed with it so they decided to ask him to do this drama.

That is actually a pretty cool reason for picking him.

Medaka Box: She is gonna cancel her plans and come back. Its almost impossible for her to suddenly leave high school just because she became head of the Kurokami house. Not to mention her Zenkichi won't be coming with her so thats a big NONO.

Fairy Tail: So Rouge is someone that knows Natsu and possessed Raios and gave false information to the princess. Can't wait for the next chapter, maybe Natsu can finally bust out those Lightning Fire techniques of his.

Kenichi: Damn Rimi is screwed as a martial artist but Miu was heavily injured. Where the hell are the Masters? They need Akisame or Kensai fast to offer medical support.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pirates isn't a single example, it's just one of many successful pirate themed movies out there.

The success of Pirates really overides everything. All four films are some of the highest grossing movies of all time. OF ALL TIME. That's huge.

And none of those movies have to do with ninja or shinigami, nor did they even make remotely as much as all four Pirates movies.

You got three movies, I got four: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl ($650 mill), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($1,066 mill), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End ($963 mill), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides ($1,043 mill).

Every single one of these prove that a movie with pirates is simply more successful than a movie with any form of Asian aesthetic.

I haven't made up anything.
Yeah, except each Pirates of the Carribean movie doesn't exist in a fucking vacuum; citing each individual entry of a super popular series of movies to prove that the GENRE itself is popular is not only one of the least-compelling arguments I've ever heard on GAF, its intellectually offensive.

And again, changing it to "ninjas and shinigami" when you yourself brought up the whole "Eastern themed movies aren't popular" is one of the most egregious example of moving the goalposts ever.

I honestly don't think you understand what your underlying argument even is, much less have even a shred of evidence to back up what you are actually saying.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

upandaway

Assassination Classroom

^ had to take a 1 minute time out just to calm down. I don't even know what it is about his faces, but I just can't. I can't.

Angry Grimace

Whatever happened to Food Smut? For some reason I get some sort of legit amusement out of it but I haven't seen it in a while.

upandaway

Huh, I guess it has. I don't remember anything about the last chapter other than Tadokoro in a farmer outfit.
They're off to the training camp! Or the Hunter Exam, however it turns out to be.

Also it's strangely entertaining seeing you actively looking for the next chapter, haha

Angry Grimace

They're off to the training camp! Or the Hunter Exam, however it turns out to be.

Also it's strangely entertaining seeing you actively looking for the next chapter, haha

It's strangely amusing despite being a Japanese teenager's tropefest. At the very least I don't hate every character yet.

upandaway

It's pretty good. I'm a sucker for political intrigue and Berserk has its fair share. I could do without all the rape, though.
You silly Wise-man, I meant if you want suggestions in the same vein as Berserk. I know you like it! Anyway I'll assume yes
This will be embarrassing if I forgot and you're already reading either/both but: Vinland Saga and Ubel Blatt. I'm especially curious for your Ubel Blatt impressions, and it has political whachamacallit, I think?

Also yeah totally try Law of Ueki if that's your mood. I really really like it. Some hardcore usage of possibly the most unconventional shonen powers ever

Angry Grimace

It's pretty good. I'm a sucker for political intrigue and Berserk has its fair share. I could do without all the rape, though.

Sanctuary? I've never read it (on purpose to annoy God's Beard), but he talks about it constantly.

Akito

Junjou Karen na Oretachi da! v2-3 (end)
I guess this is how Haikyuu could have turned out if it was prematurely canceled. Karasuno would play against Shiratorizawa in the second and last match of the entire manga and win in the end because all of the players were trying harder.
I'm glad that it didn't actually happen.

survivor

Banned
New Treasure Island
cE23Epj.jpg

Man, this manga is so racist. I understand it was published 60 years ago, but still, so bad. If the overly racist parts didn't give you a hint that this is an old ass manga then the simple paneling will. Every page is just 4 vertical panels with no variations or complexity. The first 20 pages were also hilarious, such amazing wasteful usage of papers. Maybe the story was considered good by the time of its release but right now it's really basic and simple with even a cliched ending, but still, it was interseting to read something so different.

Have no idea wtf the last 10 or so pages were about. Tezuka kept rambling about random shit.

Berserk Early Thoughts

So as I continue to read Berserk I keep getting more and more "god this seems like Final Fantasy Tactics" or I guess to be fair FFT completely ripped off large chunks of Berserk's plot. The leaf whistle scene, Griffith wooing the princess, the relationship between our two leads, mysterious items that hold the power to bring forth great demons. Just had to get that off my chest it was driving me nuts though I will say both Berserk and FFT are excellent so it's not a bad thing.

Stinky

I haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics (loved Tactics Advance though.. I know, I know, I'm that guy) but I think all of the story elements you mentioned are pretty standard fantasy fare.

I was thinking today about how there is the same dynamic in Akira, Berserk and Naruto where the main character's friend becomes the antagonist. (Less so in Naruto but you get the idea)

I don't think any of them ripped each other off, its just that you can only be so original when writing a manga story.

Gradivus

I haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics (loved Tactics Advance though.. I know, I know, I'm that guy) but I think all of the story elements you mentioned are pretty standard fantasy fare.

I was thinking today about how there is the same dynamic in Akira, Berserk and Naruto where the main character's friend becomes the antagonist. (Less so in Naruto but you get the idea)

I don't think any of them ripped each other off, its just that you can only be so original when writing a manga story.

That's pretty much it. It's the mangaka's job to separate his way of telling"main character's friend becomes the antagonist" story from other mangas using the same idea.

Wiseblade

Guts and Griffith were never really friends though. Griffith even says as much. And isn't the whole point of Akira that Tetsuo felt like an outcast among the gang, and his Psychic power give him the opportunity to act on his resentment? It's more "I can't believe that person I spent so much time with is evil/crazy" Rather than "I must kill my best friend"

First off you have to play Final Fantasy Tactics it's phenomenal. Secondly while I do understand there are very common tropes in these medieval fantasy story lines there are clearly elements that FFT "drew inspiration" from Berserk.

Soushokukei Ism 01-05

LmUfNdk.png

A girl who moves to the country from the city suddenly becomes part of the weird student council. It's a short read with each chapter focused on one member of the student council but still was really good. The characters definitely make the show, each one more wacky than the next, it was pretty enjoyable. It wasn't even that shoujo, at best taking the best parts of shoujo without the drama which was great. Definitely wished this was longer.

Angry Grimace

Agreed on FFT. War of the Lions is available for iPhone,but I just wish it wasn't $15. (not to mention playing FFT on a phone would probably suck since every battle takes a long as fuck amount of time.)

For some reason, talking about this makes me pissed off there was never a sequel to Vagrant Story.

Agreed on FFT. War of the Lions is available for iPhone,but I just wish it wasn't $15. (not to mention playing FFT on a phone would probably suck since every battle takes a long as fuck amount of time.)

For some reason, talking about this makes me pissed off there was never a sequel to Vagrant Story.

I dunno I feel turned based strategy games work well on the Iphone because you can suspend at any time, open the app get a few rounds in, then suspend again and go on your marry way. I don't own WotL for my iPhone (do own Shining Force) because I already have a portable version for the PSP.

Wiseblade

One Piece Vol 13 (reread)

I don't know why, but Luffy joking about trying to leave Little Garden before the Log Pose sets cracks me up far more than it probably should.

Angry Grimace

I dunno I feel turned based strategy games work well on the Iphone because you can suspend at any time, open the app get a few rounds in, then suspend again and go on your marry way. I don't own WotL for my iPhone (do own Shining Force) because I already have a portable version for the PSP.

The PSP version's loading made me fucking furious though.

And yes, when I played the PSX original I did keep my only save file right before the Wiegraf fight with an under-leveled Ramza.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Holy shit, I just learned that Viz is finally releasing the Hoenn volumes of Pokemon Special/Adventures. About god damn time.

The PSP version's loading made me fucking furious though.

And yes, when I played the PSX original I did keep my only save file right before the Wiegraf fight with an under-leveled Ramza.

I know that feel, then I learned the art of tailwind spam and from then on Ramza never was under leveled ever.

Angry Grimace

I know that feel, then I learned the art of tailwind spam and from then on Ramza never was under leveled ever.

I believe I just played it something like 50 times until I was able to get lucky enough to get Ramza to use Shout enough so that I would always get multiple turns over him.

survivor

Banned
Soushokukei Ism 01-05

LmUfNdk.png

A girl who moves to the country from the city suddenly becomes part of the weird student council. It's a short read with each chapter focused on one member of the student council but still was really good. The characters definitely make the show, each one more wacky than the next, it was pretty enjoyable. It wasn't even that shoujo, at best taking the best parts of shoujo without the drama which was great. Definitely wished this was longer.

Awesome, this finally finished getting translated.

Berserk 62-63

Wow I didn't think you could publish this kind of stuff in a normal weekly or monthly magazine, this is pretty explicit stuff they're depicting and I thought Aunt's Tits was graphic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom