• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Now that's funny, because i put the manga on my list just yesterday. I saw Mononoke about two years ago, I think, and it's probably one of my favorite anime. The art style, the story and the setting were very appealing and I wondered how it would come over in the manga. I'd probably rather watch it again, but I don't feel like watching anything right now m

The manga tries to imitate the art style of the anime as much as possible, but it really doesn't work that well. It's just splashes of black ink everywhere cluttering the panels and making it very hard to decipher what's going on when the scenes get very busy.

Ga-rei ~Tsuina no Shou~ 1-4 (END)
Pln0Cv1.png
See, the problem with making references to Ga-Rei Zero is that it just serves to remind me how utterly superior it was compared to this. New characters were awful, thank god for Izuna's reappearance.

I thought most are online web free ones, seemed strange that they would go.
This was a magazine one.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
More like he's a bit too perfect. E: I mean, we're talking about his companions for years, decades even. Not human being would react like that. Even if it's not her fault, there always a huge amount of (irrational) anger, because she caused it after all.

I think this is my biggest complaint in an otherwise near flawless series. Aramaki, while mature and smart enough to realise it wasn't directly Hana's fault, should've at least lashed out at her. It's a natural human response, would've added more depth to the relationship, and portrayed Aramaki in a light different from his usual white knight, perfect boyfriend personality. I sometimes think the author is writing Aramaki as her dream husband, unable to do any wrong.

He's still a great character though, but it was a missed opportunity.

The manga tries to imitate the art style of the anime as much as possible, but it really doesn't work that well. It's just splashes of black ink everywhere cluttering the panels and making it very hard to decipher what's going on when the scenes get very busy.

Stupid question, but does it cover the story arc of Ayakashi or it's own anime series, Mononoke?

I think this is my biggest complaint in an otherwise near flawless series. Aramaki, while mature and smart enough to realise it wasn't directly Hana's fault, should've at least lashed out at her. It's a natural human response, would've added more depth to the relationship, and portrayed Aramaki in a light different from his usual white knight, perfect boyfriend personality. I sometimes think the author is writing Aramaki as her dream husband, unable to do any wrong.

He's still a great character though, but it was a missed opportunity.
Yeah, she might as well stop looking for her BF and just get a room with Amaraki instead.

Kurita

Watched the second episode of Nobunaga no Chef. So good.
I hope we'll see this scene in the manga :
Ken deflacting arrows with his giant pan
:lol

You gonna love it when Guts sacrifice these losers for his new powers!

It's gonna happen and you know it.

You know, I wouldn't even mind it that much, really. Sure, it's a shame about Serpico, but no more magic girl, Puck, brain dead Casca? Might be worth it!

survivor

Banned
Thank you. Have you seen Mononoke? If so, could you recommend me something similar? Basically a supernatural detective story. It doesn't have to be in a historical setting, but I wouldn't mind it either. Good art would be a plus ;)

Manga wise I really can't think of anything that similar to Mononoke. There is Pluto and Getenrou but these are more on the sci-fi mystery side rather than supernatural ones. I suppose there is Skyhigh, but it's not very good. There is also Mushishi and Natsume's Book of Friends with good supernatural aspects, but no detective parts.. If you don't mind the "so bad it's good" type of stories then Un-Go anime is great supernatural detective story and it's made by Bones so it looks good.

I know it's not similar to what you have wanted, but have you seen the other anime made by the director of Mononoke, Kenji Nakamura? In particular, Kuuchuu Buranko is very excellent drama with unique art style about a psychiatrist helping various people with their problems.

Wiseblade

You know, I wouldn't even mind it that much, really. Sure, it's a shame about Serpico, but no more magic girl, Puck, brain dead Casca? Might be worth it!

What.

Even Brain Dead Casca deserves to live. As much as I hate Puck, Farnese and Magic Brat, I wouldn't sacrifice three good characters to get rid of them.

Kuroko

If Sharingan guy loses, i will be be really pissed.

7 seeds 1

I don´t know what´s going on but it seems interesting with different people with different personalities.

Manga wise I really can't think of anything that similar to Mononoke. There is Pluto and Getenrou but these are more on the sci-fi mystery side rather than supernatural ones. I suppose there is Skyhigh, but it's not very good. There is also Mushishi and Natsume's Book of Friends with good supernatural aspects, but no detective parts.. If you don't mind the "so bad it's good" type of stories then Un-Go anime is great supernatural detective story and it's made by Bones so it looks good.

I know it's not similar to what you have wanted, but have you seen the other anime made by the director of Mononoke, Kenji Nakamura? In particular, Kuuchuu Buranko is very excellent drama with unique art style about a psychiatrist helping various people with their problems.

Thank you very much. Pluto is already on my list and I might read it next, after Berserk. I feel like horror and mystery themes are really underrepresented. At least when it comes to good stories. Looking at the art Miura puts out, it really makes me wish he'd do some good horror manga, too. Something like Blame!/Digimortal would be great as well.

And no, I haven't checked out Nakamura's other work and what you just told me sounds really good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just read Koe no Katachi - The Shape of Voice and man... yeah, it's sort of your standard after school special story, but I'd love to read a long running book about a deaf girl trying to cope with her disability.

At the very least, it throws a wrench in the boring slice of life school romance anyway... without going as far into insanity as say, Katawa Shoujo at least.

survivor

Banned
Sickness Unto Death 1-3
za8RWDR.png
JYTFb8o.png

DESPAIR

Talk about setting your tone. Every single page has been about despair. Fuck, they are not even pretending there might be some uplifting moments in the story, it's all DESPAIR. I'm not sure where the story is heading since nothing about the girl's past been explained yet, but I bet it will be full of DESPAIR. I just hope it won't be something silly. Adding supernatural elements to it would make it even better.

Pick up, not pictured here ace attorney 4 which for some weird reason got shipped separately

And before anyone says something, I was missing Ygo 3 and missing Ygo duelist 4, with them I now have Ygo 1-7 and duelist 1-5 + 12-17

Edit: Jeebus I didn't realize how big Iphone pictures looked when you uploaded them lol my bad

Yu-Gi-Oh "Duelist"?

Viz decided to brand the duelist kingdom and battle city arcs as duelist so that fans wouldn't pick up Ygo 1 and go "where the hell is duel monsters?" Same thing they did with the dragon ball manga in the us. Also the final arc is branded Ygo millennium world

Yu-Gi-Oh "Duelist"?

Viz wanted to release the stuff the anime didn't get to at the time, the whole Pharaoh arc but they still had all of Duelist Kingdom and Battle City to release (you know, the actual dueling arcs) and no way they could release vol.1 and voll.30something, so they split it up.

The Pharaoh arc is renamed Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World.

upandaway

Hunter x Hunter

And Uvo kills like all of those by himself in a single night. I get that they were Worfed to highlight how powerful the Spiders are, but Togashi went too far. The Mafia's incompetence reaches the point where you end up wondering how they got to be so influential in the first place.
To be fair they did hire the Zoldycks when they realized they need true muscle. The fact Illumi killed all of the dons so easily was pretty hilarious though. There's like, literally no one ever who's on the same level as the Spiders/Zoldycks/Hunter Org's top people.

I wish they expanded more about the mafia's relationship with Meteor City or just on that place in general. Blew my mind when I found out Gotoh and Canary and even Killua's mom are from there.

survivor

Banned
I just read Koe no Katachi - The Shape of Voice and man... yeah, it's sort of your standard after school special story, but I'd love to read a long running book about a deaf girl trying to cope with her disability.

At the very least, it throws a wrench in the boring slice of life school romance anyway... without going as far into insanity as say, Katawa Shoujo at least.

How bad did Katawa Shoujo get later on? I only managed to play it for like 2 hours before getting bored.

Also in case you didn't know, Koe no Katachi is getting serialized.

Hunter x Hunter

To be fair they did hire the Zoldycks when they realized they need true muscle. The fact Illumi killed all of the dons so easily was pretty hilarious though. There's like, literally no one ever who's on the same level as the Spiders/Zoldycks/Hunter Org's top people.

I wish they expanded more about the mafia's relationship with Meteor City or just on that place in general. Blew my mind when I found out Gotoh and Canary and even Killua's mom are from there.

I'm still waiting for the spiders and Hisoka's true motivations to be revealed. Seriously we know so little about them it's crazy

Wiseblade

Hunter x Hunter

This just proves my point though. Everybody and their mother is one step ahead of the Mafia from beginning to end. If the Mafia had the upper end even once during the whole arc, I would be complaining so much.

Articalys

I hope there are still some other people following Spirit Circle. Unfortunately, it's a monthly series even with a lower page count, so it's going to take forever.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Yamada and the 7 Witches 1-42

Picked this up today and so far this series is pretty damn good. I can see Yamada gathering all of the witches together like his own personal harem but we all know he's gonna get with Shiraishi in the end.

Medaka Box

This is the final arc in the series right? Sure made it sound like it.

Berserk

Berserk

But I thought it turned into Griffith's reincarnation?

That's what I assumed, too.

it did and that where it gets weird with this kid. Is that his own body now fixed after Griffiths return? is it using griffth's for a free ride? etc

I thought so at first too, but I think it just hitched a ride in that behlt now. Just look at what the baby did then watch what the kid does when he appears. I think it's one and the same.

But remember that Griffith saved Caska during the Zodd vs Guts fight unintentionally and after the meeting he thought of the demonchild when he was thinking about what he did, which indicates he did use the body but the child's protectiveness still lingers.

If Muira gets to it , should be interesting

Best comic book I've ever read.
The movie was also awesome. Scott Pilgrim rules.
Everything in this post is right.
what's a comic and what's a manga?
I hate this. Manga is generally speaking just a comic from Japan. The ones from Korea are called manhwa. While the style is obviously different, compared to the US comics, I don't know if you can describe "manga" without the word comic. But I'm sure someone will prove me wrong here.

As for Scott Pilgrim, I see why you'd get the idea, as BLOM said that he drew inspiration from manga for his style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom