• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least I can understand for FT...Or maybe you hate FT because Mashima worked for Oda at some point :p...
I´m indifferent. It does not mean hatred. No, really all the friendship crap in FT turns me off the main characters, and the villains being crap so there are no good characters in that manga. While i find one piece´s characters personalities to be shitty and one dimensional. At least there´s Garp and to a much lesser extent Akainu. Mashina has ruined Gray, Gajeel, and the rest were already shit.

Wiseblade

Naruto 624

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

An idealistic Senju youth lusting after a dismissive uchiha brat. Why does that sound familiar?

Oh yeah, the last 623 CHAPTERS

Mael

I´m indifferent. It does not mean hatred. No, really all the friendship crap in FT turns me off the main characters, and the villains being crap so there are no good characters in that manga. While i find one piece´s characters personalities to be shitty and one dimensional. At least there´s Garp and to a much lesser extent Akainu. Mashina has ruined Gray, Gajeel, and the rest were already shit.

I don't I think that Sygrain/Gerald was not total shit but that got retconned into making him a stupid pupet or something.
Ultear was interesting till we get to know her and now she's shit.
I fail to remember when was the last time we got an interesting character...
OP I think it best to not debate this at the same time :p

That's a false rumor.

Ah? then why the fuck does his style look so close to Oda's then?

fertygo

There's nothing about that since they starting career in almost same time.

But they're both working under Watsuki (Samurai X) once as assistant, its known fact they're very close.

Wiseblade

1) IIRC FT doesn't look too dissimilar to Mashima's earlier work, Rave Master. It could just be the coincidental evolution of his art style.

2) One Piece had already been the biggest Manga in Japan for a while when FT started, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Mashima adapted a similar style try try and draw that crowd.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
No Bleach makes for a terrible week.

It's the only one where something interesting is happening. I wonder how many chapters it will take Oda until he gets to the goddamn point.

Maybe because Oda was an inspiration? Same as how Kongou Banchou had that Dragonball Z thing going on. It happens.

His previous work Rave Master was much much more similar to One Piece though.

Naito

What was your opinion of THE EVENT?

It felt contrived, which is also my overall idea of GE after the first volumes.
It was in the air. Looking back, the whole volume 10 was set up for THE EVENT
considering also the massive foreshadowing Yuasa gave, so 'twas mostly a matter of pages.
I didn't expect it to happen like that, with the "overwrite the memories" thinghy.
At that point I realised that the next volumes would be about angst only, until the very end.
Can't say I was looking forward to it but I managed.

Seiji and Yuki being together is a given and we know pretty early on that it will end like that:
even the title, Good Ending, is a giveaway. You could say "it's not the destination that matters but the journey"
but I'm afraid I can't really apply it to GE, not totally at least. There were times I wanted to skip right to the end:
it started on a solid way, perhaps because it reminded me of Molester Man, but things turned either silly or,
as survivor said best, "BS to halt the development of the characters". Bummer.

Kusagari

1) IIRC FT doesn't look too dissimilar to Mashima's earlier work, Rave Master. It could just be the coincidental evolution of his art style.

The most obvious example:

tumblr_mb4jfzKI041rga65to1_500.jpg

IHaveIce

Banned
One Piece

Yeah nothing much happened, flamingos fighter were shown.. why do villians in OP look most of the time so shitty.

If luffy somehow cares about the fruit it is bullshit and out of character.

Not happy about a tournament arc at all, hope we see more about the blind guy.

And who stole Zoro's sword ?

Also lol DTL, good troll, you know how much Oda loves DragonBall? I'm pretty sure you could say he took it more likely from there as from FT

And I also thought FT guy worked for oda at some point because of the artstyle

fertygo

2) One Piece had already been the biggest Manga in Japan for a while when FT started, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Mashima adapted a similar style try try and draw that crowd.

WHAT?

Come on you making stuff now.

Rave always identical to FT/Current Mashima style.

Mael

But they're both working under Watsuki (Samurai X) once as assistant, its known fact they're very close.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

We don't actually know that he gives a shit yet.

I know I'm just pre reacting.
:p

Maybe because Oda was an inspiration? Same as how Kongou Banchou had that Dragonball Z thing going on. It happens.

His previous work Rave Master was much much more similar to One Piece though.

That was more what I was talking about...
Although it's way cleaner the way Mashima draws now.
Seriously at times Mashima is closer to Oda's art than Kishi is to his own brother!
And btw we ended up with the wrong brother (666 >> Naruto).

I did not know that, good to know. I don´t find the art of Mashima to be similar to Oda. Mashima is a better artist.

To tell the truth I've been pretty disappointed with the 2nd part of One Piece so far. It's still fun but there still hasn't been anything that has been much different from the 1st part. Best 2nd parter still remains Dragonball Z.

Worst is of course Death Note.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
WHAT?

Come on you making stuff now.

Rave always identical to FT/Current Mashima style.

It wasn't always identical. It was a lot rougher (and a bit uglier) when he first started off. Honestly I feel like his story telling has gone down the drain. Rave was average but I still gave enough of a damn to keep reading, I can't say the same about Fairy Tale.

To tell the truth I've been pretty disappointed with the 2nd part of One Piece so far. It's still fun but there still hasn't been anything that has been much different from the 1st part. Best 2nd parter still remains Dragonball Z.

Worst is of course Death Note.

One Piece felt like it was going up and up since like water seven then to Marineford/Goa. It just hasnt felt the same since then.

He needs some arc that is on the same level as like the Pain arc in Naruto, something that will really make the second half standout. Maybe when he starts getting back to Dragon/Revolutionaries and involving those of the world government it will really feel good again.

It wasn't always identical. It was a lot rougher (and a bit uglier) when he first started off. Honestly I feel like his story telling has gone down the drain. Rave was average but I still gave enough of a damn to keep reading, I can't say the same about Fairy Tale.

A bit uglier? He sucked during Rave Master. Some of the anatomy of his characters could rival Rob Liefeld's.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
To tell the truth I've been pretty disappointed with the 2nd part of One Piece so far.
I agree. Considering how fantastically the Pre-Timeskip OP concluded (I mean really, it was AWESOME), I am so disappointed with the New World so far. I still feel like I haven't seen the fruits of the two year training. I still feel this formulaic bs is taking away from the opportunity to explore what's "new" about the New World, and lastly Oda is still adding more unnecessary BS.

I hope it gets back on track soon; I think the best way to do that would be to throw us a non-traditional New World arc a la Baroque Works/Logue Town and shake things up. Bleh.

Is multi-quote busted or is it just me?

I'm surprised at the lack of fighting and outrage this week.

they said it best.

No Bleach this week, so it only makes sense.

No Bleach, nothing happened in One Piece and nobody gives enough of a damn about Naruto to argue about it anymore.

Grimace even threw in the towel for Naruto this week lol

I don't know. For the hate spewed on all sides about the Big 3, they're still leagues above the vile slop that is Fairy Tail.

Yea but because of almost everyone not giving a fuck about FT the intensity of the arguements plus the massive bullshit is not there compared to the big 3

True.

And a lot less vile than some of the other arguments across GAF!

Indeed. Gaming can be a warzone, plus OT as well.

And btw we ended up with the wrong brother (666 >> Naruto).

Second half of 666 was lame imo, except for Ball.

I agree. Considering how fantastically the Pre-Timeskip OP concluded (I mean really, it was AWESOME), I am so disappointed with the New World so far. I still feel like I haven't seen the fruits of the two year training. I still feel this formulaic bs is taking away from the opportunity to explore what's "new" about the New World, and lastly Oda is still adding more unnecessary BS.

I hope it gets back on track soon; I think the best way to do that would be to throw us a non-traditional New World arc a la Baroque Works/Logue Town and shake things up. Bleh.

Yes this. As cliche as I know it can be, I hope that this next arc would be a classic Tournament based one. This way he can flesh out the group's new skills plus Oda really excels in 1vs1 battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom