• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Naruto

Fuck everything about this flashback.

One Piece

Nothing really happened and I hope that we don't get a full-blown tournament.

dramatis

Gunka no Baltzar 14

Bothers me a bit that the scanlators are still sort of using the wrong spelling of Baltzar's name even though it's printed in the beginning of the volumes.

This manga makes one feel good about technological progress, even though it's set in a time period close to maybe the late 1800s (?). I don't think I've been so glad for a monthly chapter before—it's the first time where the story progressed and I checked the page number not because I wanted it to be over, but because I was hoping it wouldn't be over so soon.

That said, bike designs back in the day were a bit stupid.

survivor

Banned
So I finished Pluto and Planetes. You guys really should've recommended those sooner. To make it up to me, suggest me something similar. Looking to get more story/character driven as a break from all the Shonen crap I read. Also, bad art makes something really really hard to read.
REAL is one of the best characters driven manga currently ongoing.

Taiyou No Ie 01

Not impressing me sufficiently, dropped.
The manga's biggest strength is the eyes, outside of that it's nothing special.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou v1

Makes me feel good, kind of curious about the state of the world, a keeper.
brofist

JUMP Issue #17
Kuroko no Basket 206 (Cover, Lead CP)
Assassination Classroom 36 (29)
One Piece 702 (695)
Shokugeki no Souma 16 (Center Colour)
Toriko 227 (220)
World Trigger 7
Sporting Salt (Center Colour, Oneshot, 47pg.)
Naruto 624 (617)
Haikyuu!! 54 (Center Colour)
Nisekoi 67 (60)
PSI Kusuo Saiki 43 (36)
Gintama 438 (431)
Sket Dance 274 (267)
Kochikame 1785 (1778)
Beelzebub 197 (190)
Medaka Box 187 (180)
Koisuru Edison 15/16 (1/2) - First Ranking
Cross・Manage 26 (19)
Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san 17 (10)
Hungry Joker 18 (11)

Absent: Bleach

Jump Issue #18
Lead CP: One Piece
Center Colour: Shokugeki no Souma, Nisekoi, Sakuran (One-shot, 21pg.)

Number next to chapter indicates what chapter the rating comes from

Well with all those other series below it, I guess World Trigger ought to at least get lots of chapters, no way it could be lower than Edison, Cross Manage (feels like it could end), Kiruko, and Hungry Joker.

I hope World Trigger gets a color page soon...and I guess yet another week with Assassination Classroom > OP, I think were approaching the tenth time its happened.

Yamada and the seven witches 21 - 27

I think the new girl most likely has the mind reading powers (writer is kind of predictable, imo). Though beyond her this whole trip to the clubhouse has been fun. I hope Miyamura stays that way the whole time, brings much comedy to the plot, and I guess I do want them all to pass these make up exams. Ushio/Yamada backstory was also hilarious in a weird way especially tying up to the present day and having his continued presence and also her on the beach place too.

Akito

How are the colour pages/covers determined by the way? Does it have something to do with the ranking?
They are decided by the editors, the general rule of thumb is the more popular the manga the more frequently it will get color pages/covers but sometimes a manga can get more than the usual amount if the editors for whatever reason want to specifically push it .Kuroko got tons of color pages to push its popularity because it was at times the sole sports manga in Jump, Haikyuu is getting tons of color pages because it's so popular (same with Shokugeki no Soma currently), OP got 3 consecutive covers at 2 different occasions to promote the movies etc.

survivor

Banned
Oh yeah, new Silver Spoon cover, best one so far even though there are no sparkles

http://i.minus.com/iYj6jZimNmlQV.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
"looks at girls on cover"

I think I need to get back to reading Silver Spoon

[quote="BassForever, post: 50684883"]JUMP Issue #17
Kuroko no Basket 206 (Cover, Lead CP)
Assassination Classroom 36 (29)
One Piece 702 (695)
Shokugeki no Souma 16 (Center Colour)
Toriko 227 (220)
World Trigger 7
Sporting Salt (Center Colour, Oneshot, 47pg.)
Naruto 624 (617)
Haikyuu!! 54 (Center Colour)
Nisekoi 67 (60)
PSI Kusuo Saiki 43 (36)
Gintama 438 (431)
Sket Dance 274 (267)
Kochikame 1785 (1778)
Beelzebub 197 (190)
Medaka Box 187 (180)
Koisuru Edison 15/16 (1/2) - First Ranking
Cross・Manage 26 (19)
Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san 17 (10)
Hungry Joker 18 (11)
[/QUOTE]
So the bottom 4 are all recent additions and they are all tanking?

Kurita

Thanks Akito.

And yes survivor. The only recent series that's popular is Shokugeki no Soma.

Can't believe we already reached 40~ chapters of PSI Kusuo Saiki and yet, nobody translates it.

Reknoc

rip Hungry Joker T-T

Speaking of, I recently caught up with Hungry Joker, it's a fun series. The plot sort of reminds me a of D.Grey-Man lite. I like the art, for some reason the main character's laughing face kills me. Shame it probably wont last much longer.

Would also be interested to know why the one-shot was scrapped almost completely.

Mael

Huh why are people surprised that Hashirama is a Uchiha cheerleader?
I mean we even knew that from the begining of the flashback when they were both fighting.

Naito

GE 1-156 END

This one took longer than expected.
So it felt like a longer, padded, contrived version of Molester Man.
I enjoyed the first volume then it, mayhaps, took itself too seriously and went downhill from there.

I found the
switching back and forth of the MC
to be pretty tedious and just a filler.
Perhaps what killed the interest is that Seiji and Yuki were put together too soon and what followed
was wtf material, with clear attempts to add unnecessary angst to the progression.
I'd like to think the author wanted to push a different development for his characters and decided to
let MC have his girl early on. Too bad what followed was, indeed, contrived.

I did enjoy the art though and perhaps it is the only "better" point compared to Molester Man,
but one could say the sketchy art direction of the latter is part of its appeal.

GE started good, turned tedious, ended in a rushed but somewhat positive way.
There could have been worse endings.

Naruto 624

He should have dragged it out at least one more chapter. Ill miss them as they grew up too fast. Enjoyed this flashback a lot and really painted Madara in a whole new light, Hashirama too. Hopefully Hashirama made the right choice.

survivor

Banned
GE 1-156

I enjoyed the first volume then it, mayhaps, took itself too seriously and went downhill from there.

This is how I feel about most of the developments that happened in the first 60 chapters. Every time there is about to be progress, some dumb BS happens and halts the plot from advancing.

Huh why are people surprised that Hashirama is a Uchiha cheerleader?
I mean we even knew that from the begining of the flashback when they were both fighting.

It's not that Hashirama is an Uchiha cheerleader, but mostly Madara's reaction to the event. He went from all happy "yeah, lets unite the world" to "fuck you, I'ma kill y'all" in a couple of panels.

Mael

It's not that Hashirama is an Uchiha cheerleader, but mostly Madara's reaction to the event. He went from all happy "yeah, lets unite the world" to "fuck you, I'ma kill y'all" in a couple of panels.

Ah, I misread that part then...
You're right though the turnaround made no sense whatsoever.
EIther Kishi is a hack or the Uchiha are a bunch of psycho.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 20 - 26 (v4)
tumblr_mjwy74MAdq1qbxqfpo1_400.png

Nice color page and the others with Shinji as well as the one with Toji. I like all the random fun times the cast have especially when Toji, Shinji, and Kensuke first encounter Asuka and then Asuka and Shinji doing the dance routine (still my favorite angel fight), though worked better in the animated portions due to sound and drama.

The manga skipped an angel or has different numbering? I thought there was one or something or another before Isafael (7th angel). Or do I have Rebuild and the manga confused?

Ah, I misread that part then...
You're right though the turnaround made no sense whatsoever.
EIther Kishi is a hack or the Uchiha are a bunch of psycho.

The Uchiha are a bunch of psychos, always were. Which makes Kishi's hard on for them and his hate for women even more questionable.

One Piece

Setup Chapter.

And i wouldn't be surprised if Luffy did care for Ace's fruit, since i placed that as a possibility once it was revealed Dom had it.

Got confirmation on the tourney everyone was predicting and now to see if Luffy does care to enter.

Korosenai

One Piece - B

It mainly gets a B for how hyped it has me for this tournament. Should be great and I cant wait to see how it unfolds.

Mael

The Uchiha are a bunch of psychos, always were. Which makes Kishi's hard on for them and his hate for women even more questionable.

Yeah I never got that either...
Why even bother with female characters if they serve no purposes AT ALL!
They don't even serve as love interest even!

Viking, let's not act like Bleach would have changed anything this week considering it's in flashback and Kubo managed to botch the backstory of Kenpachi in such a spectacular manner.

Soul Eater more than makes up for it

That's a statement I can get behind!

Kusagari

The rest of the Narutoverse must love Konoha.

Every single problem in the series is from their Kages being wusses and not killing people when they should.

Articalys

Dear god this list of upcoming oneshots:

Jump Issue #19 Information
Oneshot by Iwamoto Naoki (Magico)

Jump Issue #20 Information
Oneshot by Aimoto Shou (Hokenshitsu no Shinigami)

Jump Issue #21 Information
Oneshot by Kanou Yasuhiro (Mx0, Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa)
Oneshot by Shiibashi Hiroshi (Nurarihyon no Mago)

Jump Double Issue #22/23 Information
Oneshot by Konomi Takeshi (Prince of Tennis)
Oneshot by Kawashita Mizuki (Ichigo 100%)

Wiseblade

GE 1-156 END

I found the
switching back and forth of the MC
to be pretty tedious and just a filler.
Perhaps what killed the interest is that Seiji and Yuki were put together too soon and what followed
was wtf material, whith clear attempts to add unnecessary angst to the progression.
I'd like to think the author wanted to try a different progression for his characters and decided to
let MC have his girl early on. Too bad what followed was, indeed, contrived.

I did enjoy the art though and perhaps it is the only "better" point compared to Molester Man,
but one could say the sketchy art direction of the latter is part of its appeal.

GE started good, turned tedious, ended in a rushed but somewhat positive way.
There could have been worse endings.
What was your opinion of THE EVENT?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Something tells me with all new series bombing that they're optioning a bunch of pilots, and they're getting established Jump authors in the hopes that one will catch on.

One Piece 702
tumblr_mjwk50TDZB1rwk9gwo1_400.jpg

Fairy Tail has an arc centered around a huge battle in a colisseum of epic proportions...then One Piece has an arc centered around a huge battle in a colisseum of epic proportions too. Its difficult to overlook the fact that he has to be taking lots of inspiration from Fairy Tail. Anyway, the chapter was quite epic, Ace's appearance has been the best thing in ages.

Mael

One Piece 702

Fairy Tail has an arc centered around a huge battle in a colisseum of epic proportions...then One Piece has an arc centered around a huge battle in a colisseum of epic proportions too. Its difficult to overlook the fact that he has to be taking lots of inspiration from Fairy Tail. Anyway, the chapter was quite epic, Ace's appearance has been the best thing in ages.

Wut?

One Piece 702

Hahaha, oh god. Run for your life, DTL. :lol

Akira Amano, and the team behind Bakuman, arent contributing anything?

survivor

Banned

Will keep an eye out for the oneshot by Shiibashi Hirosh for the possibly interesting art.

You'll probably recognise it when you read it. I'd say it's the single most rage-inducing event in the story.
Ok, I really hope I don't embarrass myself and not recognize the EVENT chapter lol

Akira Amano, and the team behind Bakuman, arent contributing anything?
They have pictures for something, but I guess they are not oneshots?

One Piece 702

LOL

Mael

Ace is getting fired up :p

Ok that made me laugh.
Good thing about FT is that this horrible arc is nearing its end.
If it ends with everyone dead like future people saw then good.
Seriously though can we take a bet that this arc will end with Natsu punching the bad guy really hard on the face or something?
And then everyone is happy ever after or something?

Ok that made me laugh.
Good thing about FT is that this horrible arc is nearing its end.
If it ends with everyone dead like future people saw then good.
Seriously though can we take a bet that this arc will end with Natsu punching the bad guy really hard on the face or something?
And then everyone is happy ever after or something?

Honestly FT is the like one of 2 manga where i dislike or feel indifferent about 99% of the cast. The other one is one piece.

One Piece 702

tumblr_lx9ifmGWWf1r25dcg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom