• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

[Gokinjo] Vol 1 :
gokinjo_01.jpg

Well it started kinda like all shojo, I'm not a fan of the girl MC, she's kinda dumb like a rock at times.
Tsutomu is good although the dynamic with body ko kinda didn't work out like should have.
Yusuke (easy to remember that one :p) is kinda fun and my kind of character.

The art is far from perfect but serviceable, there's plenty of Yazawa insert in it, it felt uncomfortable at first but it's kinda endearing in the end.
Well written and fun (WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp).
I kinda get how Yazawa is a heavy weight in shojo land.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 27 - 33 (v5)

Must have been a brutal wait for folks if Sadamoto had them wait for two years just for one volume. I like how expressive Shinji has been and Rei feels like she is a bit more talkative and concerned with emotions, maybe. The party was really fun all around for everyone involved too becoming a memorable moment.

Had my other favorite Angel fight, the seventh where they catch it from space with the epic AT Field (that bonus material describing it makes it sound so compelling if only more details were known). Going over the events after that and then the blackout to Lilith discovering, I wonder everyone just immediately blanked it out of memory instead of inquiring more.

survivor

Banned
I guess it depends on publication frequency. The weeklies pack about 10 chapters per volume, so they can expect to release about 5 volumes a year. Monthlies pack about 4 chapters a volume, so about 3 volumes a year.

Even HxH averages 2 volumes a year since 2008, so yeah, when Taisho's in its 6th iteration and you're still eligible for nomination, it might be a bit slow. Umimachi seems to have a lot more pages to its chapters though, so maybe the mangaka just keeps a healthier pace.

Yeah, I skimmed one of the volumes raw and it looks like the chapters got standard 40 pages. It's published in a monthly magazine, Flowers, so I guess it is slow to only have 1 volume a year. I wonder if the releases are maybe bimonthly or even 1 chapter every 3-4 months.

Yamada and the Seven Witches 36 - 50

Noa arc isnt as fun as the previous one with the futuresight. Tsubaki was the best new character to involve as he leads to many laughs. Really dont see much benefit in this power of seeing the past as it feels as useless as the telepathy.

survivor

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 19

Most intense chess game ever played.

Tonari no Seki-kun 20

Seki has lost his touch this chapter, but that's what you get for only using your feet.

Tonari no Seki-kun 21

This chapter felt weird especially since it wasn't in the classroom. Last panel of the chapter was good.

Tonari no Seki-kun 22

Someone is watching Yokoi watching Seki? And it was full of lewd misunderstandings? I never expected these sorts of developments.

Tonari no Seki-kun 29

Suddenly, dinosaur fossils. Dunno why there is a jump in the chapters, but it doesn't really matter since this is just an episodic manga.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tonari no Seki-kun 19

Most intense chess game ever played.

Tonari no Seki-kun 20

Seki has lost his touch this chapter, but that's what you get for only using your feet.

Tonari no Seki-kun 21

This chapter felt weird especially since it wasn't in the classroom. Last panel of the chapter was good.

Tonari no Seki-kun 22

Someone is watching Yokoi watching Seki? And it was full of lewd misunderstandings? I never expected these sorts of developments.

Tonari no Seki-kun 29

Suddenly, dinosaur fossils. Dunno why there is a jump in the chapters, but it doesn't really matter since this is just an episodic manga.

The scanners didn't have the right volume when they took over so they just did a future chapter. That said, I wish the release schedule was better.

survivor

Banned
The scanners didn't have the right volume when they took over so they just did a future chapter. That said, I wish the release schedule was better.

Ah I see, at least it's still getting translated.

With all those 3 mins anime appearing in last couple of seasons, I think Seki would be perfect to get adapted into a short anime series. The trolling will be funnier in animated form.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, you're half-way but things won't get any better until the abrupt ending.

Taiyou no Ie 1-18

Light hearted and more enjoyable than GE.
(GE conversation from last page)

Wait, what,
he bangs best girl and....then dumps her later for no good reason.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah I see, at least it's still getting translated.

With all those 3 mins anime appearing in last couple of seasons, I think Seki would be perfect to get adapted into a short anime series. The trolling will be funnier in animated form.

Seki could easily be like Daily Lives of High School Boys. Make it a half hour, adapt three chapters an episode and profit.

Naito

(GE conversation from last page)

Wait, what,
he bangs best girl and....then dumps her later for no good reason.

I'd hardly call Shou the best girl.
My point is that is the break up is mostly an angsty filler. It has always been Seiji x Yuki.
Doesn't help Shou is treated like a meaningless character after the initial scenario.

Psycho Pass - Kanshikan Tsunemori Akane 3
tumblr_mk0s8zJhJ21qbxqfpo4_500.png

Even in the future we still have coverage area issues :( Some of the events felt a bit more gruesome than the anime, I think, though I need to go back and rewatch again after watching the final episode today. Oh well, I liked seeing Kogami again and the cymatic scans stuff is still good as usual as a refresher. This whole incident at the manufacturing plant with the drones was one of the highlights of the anime for me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This alone makes her best girl.

The author consistently shit on her character from start to finish, to the point that she was vaguely into the playboy friend and they were like, yeah, they're not even together, she's probably still pining for MC

Silexx

Hey manga-GAF, I'm going to pop out of lurk-mode for a moment to defend GE. Yeah, I liked it. As in unironically liked it.

Yeah, it's not the greatest story. Yeah, the characters often acted really stupid and just as a way to move the plot,
the "rape me" event, in particular.
But I still got a kick out of it and enjoyed reading a shonen romance that actually dealt with relationships instead of being one convoluted build up to a confession ending.

OK, so not the best defence for this book, but come at me, nonetheless, manga-GAF.

And one little nitpick, but Kei Sasuga is actually a female. She also got death threats in the early run of the series because she dared to make Yukio not a virgin from the start.

survivor

Banned
Hey manga-GAF, I'm going to pop out of lurk-mode for a moment to defend GE. Yeah, I liked it. As in unironically liked it.

Yeah, it's not the greatest story. Yeah, the characters often acted really stupid and just as a way to move the plot,
But I still got a kick out of it and enjoyed reading a shonen romance that actually dealt with relationships instead of being one convoluted build up to a confession ending.

OK, so not the best defence for this book, but come at me, nonetheless, manga-GAF.

And one little nitpick, but Kei Sasuga is actually a female. She also got death threats in the early run of the series because she dared to make Yukio not a virgin from the start.

Fucking crazy ass fans.

I wasn't aware there was also a manga adaptation of Psycho-Pass.
Not sure if I should check it out if it's the same content of the anime, I'm not even a big fan of it..

Its following like most of the manga adaptations of anime, really just covering the same events with barely no changes, I think there was one minor alteration in a scene in chp 2. I think its enjoyable.

Angry Grimace

It wasn't because of Yuki, it was because she implied Shou was getting laid in the backseat in one of the earlier chapters.

Akito

Yeah, it's not the greatest story. Yeah, the characters often acted really stupid and just as a way to move the plot, the "rape me" event, in particular. But I still got a kick out of it and enjoyed reading a shonen romance that actually dealt with relationships instead of being one convoluted build up to a confession ending.

So what if you like GE, to each their own, I'm sure there are even some maniacs out there who dig Rage Town.
;)

Silexx

I see no problem if you enjoyed it - 'tis a good thing I suppose.

I also did like it, for a time, but I changed my idea after the initial interest.
This was my overall impression after reading it through in one take if you're interested.

Totally get what you're saying, good analysis. And for the record, Onani Master Kurosawa and Molester Man completely blow GE out of the water.

It wasn't because of Yuki, it was because she implied Shou was getting laid in the backseat in one of the earlier chapters.

Was it? It's been a while so I'll defer to you on this one.

survivor

Banned
Didn't you just read the summer wars manga?

Yeah, but that was a straight faithful adaptation of the movie so no point in reading it instead of watching the superior movie. I only read it to see if there were any differences and I wanted a refresher of the story, but didn't want to watch the movie again.

Angry Grimace

So what if you like GE, to each their own, I'm sure there are even some maniacs out there who dig Rage Town.
;)

GE had the sense to actually end though. I hate basically every character in KNIM more than I hate any character in GE.

survivor

Banned
The 5 Centimeters Per Second manga is even better in my opinion.

The 5cm per Second manga is good and I love it as much as the movie, but I can't recommend it over Shinkai's version. While for Voices Distant Star, I have no problem saying "read the manga instead of watching the movie".

Akito

The 5cm per Second manga is good and I love it as much as the movie, but I can't recommend it over Shinkai's version. While for Voices Distant Star, I have no problem saying "read the manga instead of watching the movie".
I thought we're only talking about anime to manga adaptions which are good and not necessary better than the original?

survivor

Banned
I thought we're only talking about anime to manga adaptions which are good and not necessary better than the original?

Yeah sorry, I should have clarified my original post. I was thinking more of anime -> manga adaptation where the manga is the definitive version or with enough differences to warrant reading on its own merits and not just because you are fan of the movie.

Brother Shuffle! 1
tumblr_mjz4c1RASA1r4hk1fo1_250.png

Why do all the good series have to be in bi monthly magazines?! Really fun start to this series of switching souls. Older brother Haruki is so mean and such to everyone and even his younger brother Mafuyu, while Mafuyu is so sweet and kind and loves those desserts and makes the best faces. Though when they switched its just so odd the expressions they not make, especially Mafuyu in Haruki. Akiyama is great and am glad that Haruki is falling for him hopefully, cant wait to see where this goes in the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom