• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its a bit too depressing and honestly felt way too deep, I could stay focused as season 1 kept going on. Unfortunately they also killed off my favorite character...

I never would have guessed that he was your favorite character. Never.

Hint: yes I would have

Not the stuff about Sasuke spitting out his first fireball.

The part I'm thinking of is Itachi goading Sasuke.

I will start 7 seeds marathon on Saturday since i have Easter break next week. It should be fun. I have not marathoned a manga since July when i read Magi. It better be worth it brotkasten :p

Oh yeah, that was played like every other episode.

"You lack...hatred"

th_Picture18.png

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
There are exactly two long flashbacks (greater than 1 chapter) I've ever truly enjoyed:

1) One Piece - Montblanc Norland's adventures of Jaya

2) Berserk - Golden Age arc

Berserk's is easily the best flashback I've ever read. So fucking good.

You guys must really hate Lost.

Nah, it was all a part of its narrative and it's vibe. The show and its story telling premise are built around it, not using it as a crutch.

Code:Breaker 214

Well that was kind of easy to predict, but still it was just shocking all the same. No way they can actually defeat Prime Minister Fujiwara, especially with such incredible power. Though how much longer could the story go on as I cant even see anyone greater than he is to continue the story if they eventually defeat him, unless Heike.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I watched 3 episodes of Shippuden when it started, and then I tried to watch the pain arc when Cruchyroll game me a one month trial.

Never again.

It's hilarious. My wife likes it but I won't watch any filler so we only see like 20 episodes in a given year since they LOVE filler. I mean, they went into a long 10 week filler arc that was completely disconnected from the story, then came back to show Itachi/Nagato vs. Naruto/Bee, and then got up to the part where Naruto fights Zombie Raikage and then went immediately back into more fillers. First they did a moronic filler about Shikamaru fighting the Zombie Sound Four, and then they decided to go back into Part 1 fillers that are entirely disconnected from the story. They do this pretty much constantly. I don't get why they don't just have 24 episodes a year and then break to let the manga get ahead instead of constantly making filler.

Naito

Code:Breaker 214

Well that was kind of easy to predict, but still it was just shocking all the same. No way they can actually defeat Prime Minister Fujiwara, especially with such incredible power. Though how much longer could the story go on as I cant even see anyone greater than he is to continue the story if they eventually defeat him, unless Heike.

All the rare kinds dropped like flies in the last chapters; they were, like, unbeatable the first time around. Not sure what's going on with the story.
Only checking it from time to time because of Heike.

survivor

Banned
It's hilarious. My wife likes it but I won't watch any filler so we only see like 20 episodes in a given year since they LOVE filler. I mean, they went into a long 10 week filler arc that was completely disconnected from the story, then came back to show Itachi/Nagato vs. Naruto/Bee, and then got up to the part where Naruto fights Zombie Raikage and then went immediately back into more fillers. First they did a moronic filler about Shikamaru fighting the Zombie Sound Four, and then they decided to go back into Part 1 fillers that are entirely disconnected from the story. They do this pretty much constantly. I don't get why they don't just have 24 episodes a year and then break to let the manga get ahead instead of constantly making filler.

Out of all the shounen adaptations, only Gintama was smart enough to realize that taking a break and letting chapters accumulate is a good idea.

They can't.

Due to how Japan's broadcasting is set up, taking a break is akin to literally being canceled and taken off the air...permanently.

Only the biggest and most successful shows can overcome it.

Any C-tier, or hell any B-Tier Anime that takes a break pretty much is never coming back on air.

Hence, fillers.

Wiseblade

They can't.

Due to how Japan's broadcasting is set up, taking a break is akin to literally being canceled and taken off the air...permanently.

Only the biggest and most successful shows can overcome it.

Any C-tier, or hell any B-Tier Anime that takes a break pretty much is never coming back on air.

Hence, fillers.

Then why not commission them in seasons, like how TWGOK operates. Far bwetter than either Naruto/Bleach's endless filler or One Piece's glacial pacing solutions.

Out of all the shounen adaptations, only Gintama was smart enough to realize that taking a break and letting chapters accumulate is a good idea.

Part of the reason for that is because Gintama DVD sales are so good compare to other long running shonen shows .

Then why not commission them in seasons, like how TWGOK operates. Far bwetter than either Naruto/Bleach's endless filler or One Piece's glacial pacing solutions.

Simple they make so much money being one air even with fillers .
For shows like that is all about ratings , merchandises so out of site out of mind for the little kids i guess .

Wiseblade

Part of the reason for that is because Gintama DVD sales are so good compare to other long running shonen shows .

I imagine because the Gintama DVDs aren't a chore to watch. Why would I buy the Naruto DVDs when I'm only going to watch half of it? Why would I buy the One Piece DVDs when a volume of the manga covers the same amount of story for a fraction of the price?

upandaway

I imagine because the Gintama DVDs aren't a chore to watch. Why would I buy the Naruto DVDs when I'm only going to watch half of it? Why would I buy the One Piece DVDs when a volume of the manga covers the same amount of story for a fraction of the price?
It's more like because the Gintama anime is really really good. As in, there's really no reason to read the manga over it.

I imagine if any other Jump manga managed to pull that off, they'd have a ton more DVD sales.

Long running anime shows never sell well Gintama is the exception to the rule .
Most people don't fell like buying shows that can end up with hundreds of DVDs which one of the reason .
OP sell good but only in Box sets but the fan base is huge so that not good way to judge either .

Wiseblade

It's more like because the Gintama anime is really really good. As in, there's really no reason to read the manga over it.

I imagine if any other Jump manga managed to pull that off, they'd have a ton more DVD sales.

You know what would make the One Piece anime better? Having good pacing.

You know what would make the Naruto anime better? Having less filler.

Nah they sell because of this:

gintama92.jpg

survivor

Banned

One Piece DVD (Log Collections) sales are comparable to Gintama and the anime is really really bad. How do you explain that?

upandaway

One Piece DVD (Log Collections) sales are comparable to Gintama and the anime is really really bad. How do you explain that?
One Piece has like 10 million more peeps!

Hell that might be the one time where me randomly putting "million" next to a number might be underselling it

retcon: also yes, gintama has the fujosh. lots of a lot of it. i think second only to kuroko right now?

You know what would make the One Piece anime better? Having good pacing.

You know what would make the Naruto anime better? Having less filler.

The problem is the anime is there to sell merchandises , keep the manga in people minds , for ratings etc etc .
Yes all anime does that for there manga \ light novels but sometimes they also want DVD\ Blu Ray sales for long running shonen shows they don't care at all if they sell dvds .
Guess they make more profit just having the show on air than care about people buying it .

Hey guys

should I watch Gintama

Fuck Yes Gintama is awesome it's better than the manga imo .

Gintama has a big fujoshi following?

Yeah at the last Comiket Gintama had the third highest number of doujins among the women's circles behind Kuroko no Basket and Prince of Tennis, and Kuroko got banned because of threats of violence.

Source
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=529220&show=80

Hey guys

should I watch Gintama

Yes, a million times yes. Although you might want to skip to episode 25 or so (whichever one the Death Note parody was).

Nah man he can't skip how he meet some of the major character in the beginning .

I suppose you have to wander through the desert before reaching the promised land.

Why is Prince of Tennis still popular? get better taste fujoshi heads

Why do we still have an active K-ON thread?

OK, K-ON is better than Prince of Tennis, but the point still stands.

And I definitely have to watch it instead of read it?

The voice actors' performances make it much funnier. Plus some of the funniest episodes are the ones where the anime staff is just screwing around trying to fill time.

upandaway

25 episodes for the comedy to sell on you
~40 or whatever for the serious arcs to elevate it to the next level (those one liners man, oh god)

I'm not even sure the entire manga is translated and the anime nullifies its existence even if it is

It's your choice but most people i know like the anime more than the manga.
While the manga good , the anime voice acting , music , good animation makes it's better .
The action arcs also crazy good in the anime like the Yoshiwara in Flames arc .

upandaway

Argh Wise-man we could have totally done it daily back when I was watching it why didn't you say anything!! It's all episodic-land too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom