• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
One day, I will continue Medaka Box from where I left off.

oH0gIXX.jpg

Ane Log 19

If that's his fetish, then I would compliment him on his fine taste.

I myself, am a fan of the bouncer outfit ever since I got into KOF and picked up King.

PK Gaming

Aoi Hana - END

tumblr_n3fx3mX7Jj1stqsmco1_500.jpg

It's not the type of thing I usually read, but i'm glad I gave it a chance. Aoi Hana was pretty enjoyable! I was honestly expecting a typical girl meets girl story, but was pleasantly surprised to see there was so much more involved. The characters were great, and the plot was intriguing (but extremely flawed, more on that later). I really appreciated how fleshed out the protagonist were characters (their impulsiveness and indecisiveness was completely justified, imo). It added a neat element of realism, and it made it easier to relate to the characters. They do a fairly decent bit of growing too (especially Fumi, good lord), which was nice.

That said, I think I actually enjoyed this manga more in concept more than in execution? It felt like the writing started to deteriorate a little further into volume 4, with the introduction of those new characters. Everything just felt dry and directionless at that point. To say nothing of the million side characters and subplots that were introduced, which generally just felt counter-intuitive to what the author was going for (which was ultimately a "girl meets girl story that would set your heart aflutter). It starts to pick up again when
Akira and Fumi actually start dating, which was great in and of itself (that drunk Christmas scene...), but the author doesn't give them enough screentime.
The spotlight ends up being stolen by the various side characters, such as Kyouko and her fiancee (a really poor plotline) and they straight up hijack the ending with their wedding. The ending is extremely rushed, and I wish the author properly developed it. Though I will say this: the final pages actually did end up setting my heart a flutter.
I was worried she was going to renege on the relationship that's been developed for the entire series, but she didn't and i'm super glad for that.

So to sum it up:

Great concept, super flawed execution. Enjoyable overall.

That feel when the girl you've been lusting after asks you out.

Incidentally, i'm going to blaze through Wandering Son next. I think I've fallen in love with Shimura Takako, haha.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Medaka Box is what you get when the guy that wrote Bakemonogatari decides to write a shonen manga. That shouldn't sound good to you, even if you like Bakemonogatari.

upandaway

Medaka Box is what you get when the guy that wrote Bakemonogatari decides to write a shonen manga. That shouldn't sound good to you, even if you like Bakemonogatari.
You can describe your reasons for hating Medaka Box for weeks and I probably won't be able to see a single damaging sentence in there. That's just how it is. It might even be the same for anything you don't like that I like.

Only because of of how you specifically put things though. If wonzo did it I'd start crying after paragraph.

Soma

I like Bakemonogatari and that sounds great to me.

No surprise that I enjoyed Medaka Box too (except for the last arc which dragged way longer than it needed to be).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, but it's an ironic, self aware shonen

That's what it thinks it is.

You can describe your reasons for hating Medaka Box for weeks and I probably won't be able to see a single damaging sentence in there. That's just how it is. It might even be the same for anything you don't like that I like.

Only because of of how you specifically put things though. If wonzo did it I'd start crying after paragraph.

Uh, what?

Here's my Medaka Box review in a language everyone can understand:

fQnoNXp.jpg

I like Bakemonogatari and that sounds great to me.

No surprise that I enjoyed Medaka Box too (except for the last arc which dragged way longer than it needed to be).

I like the last arc because it kept going when I thought it was about to end. Like it escalated past the point of stuff to escalate.

That's what it thinks it is.

Uh, what?

I am a card carrying member of the Medaka Box Defense Force for life, you cannot sway me
I want to find another manga with such hilarious discussion and insane theorywankers, that's what I look for now

scy

Eh, I liked it for just being dumb silly things happening and over-the-top powers. When it wasn't busy being a dumb battle manga, it was pretty meh though. But I just really like powers and battles going with them. It's why I'll forever love tournament arcs in anything ever.

I dunno I thought the entire series peaked at Kumagawa and Successor arcs so everything after that would've been tough to live up to anyways.

Naze <3

Really, I thought the Successor Arc was the lowpoint of all the post-Kumagawa stuff, although it was good buildup for what came after. Minus Arc was definitely the best but I liked the Jet Black Wedding and the very last arc a lot too, the short epilogue one

Medaka box is "meh" until it becomes a battle manga then is "hmmm...", then there's a couple of "I like this" arcs and then is "why I keep reading this" material except the occasional trolling.

Nisekoi 124

Oh my god Tsugumi, way to rise to the waifu heaven...

Stinky

Hunter x Hunter Not-Hiatus Chapter 1 of 90+ Dont Let Me Down Togashi

Pretty solid intro, should be interesting to see more of the Dark Continent. wonder if its just gonna be Gin and Gon, or is Kurapika gonna return like people are saying. Leorio would be cool. All 4 main characters would be better but that will never happen.

Me and the Devil Blues

Fucking awesome.

Like it way more than Prison School (and I actually really like Prison School), its too bad it was canned.

Sanctuary

Why have I put this off for so long this is so good. The art, theme, characters, story are near perfect.

Not having 5+ Brynhildr chapters to read after getting home feels bad.

Nisekoi 124

Ehhh, I preferred Paula's look. Tsugumi still = my least favourite of the haremites and I doubt bunny girl attire is going to change my mind on her either. With any luck the next chapter'll immediately cut to when the operation's over so we can see something more interesting, like Marika reading a book.

Nickelodeon 35

Well shit.

yeah but that's different

like she's already dead. the part that showed her death was my least favourite part because :(
Man, her death scene was one of my favourite parts of the series (along with Yuuko mk2's antics). Not because I enjoyed seeing her suffer (honest), but because it was so freakin' intense and affecting. Definitely one of the most memorable manga chapters I've read to date.

http://i.imgur.com/1YmklYf.png
Best Medaka Box character aside from the obvious one.

Man, her death scene was one of my favourite parts of the series (along with Yuuko mk2's antics). Not because I enjoyed seeing her suffer (honest), but because it was so freakin' intense and affecting. Definitely one of the most memorable manga chapters I've read to date.

yeah it was really good but it made me sad

like I don't like being sad :( as I said the fact that I didn't like it speaks volumes about how good it was and how well it was done because of how heart wrenching and powerful it was.

it's the good kind of dislike.It was amazingly well done. But I was really sad after :(

bigkrev

I really should start Medaka Box... it's on my shortlist of things I really want to read

Maybe when I'm caught up in One Piece... I'm in the mid 600s so it shouldn't be too bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom