• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Rurouni Kenshin FINISHED

uLYp4kZ.jpg

What a great series, solid through and through.

Kenshin developed quite a bit throughout this series with loads of backstory and changes to his character as it goes on. While the rest of the cast is very go-along-the-motions, Kenshin on the other hand is truly the star of this series. Such an awesome and detailed character.

At times the action scenes can be hard to follow, especially the scenes where swords are involved. But this improves as the series goes on, resulting in the awesome final battle between Enishi and Kenshin which was the most intense battle this series has to offer.

I think Kaoru should've stayed dead though. But anyway. B+

Favorite characters: Kenshin, Saito, Kenshin's master, Megumi, Shishio
Favorite arc: Redemption arc (not technically an arc, but anyway)
Least favorite character: Kaoru
Least favorite arc: Tokyo arc

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun vol. 1-12 [END]

I was not feeling this at first due to Haru's, eh, extreme weirdness. I later adjusted equilibrium and I came to like it very much.

I feel that "union of two imperfect people" is a romance trope oft neglected in Japanese comic. In this case, the exaggerated flaws of both two leads complement each other really well, leading to enjoyable interactions and great character arcs of equal measures. The comic succeeded in showing not only how and why they like each other, but also how and why the need each other. To see how they interact right at the end filled me with glee, knowing how far they've come.

Oh. And the art style is niiice.

Random thoughts:
1. The silent "and so one year passed by" montage is brutal. Way too fast, way too many feels. How fleeting life is.

The girl finally got a name, yay!. But it's a nickname, boo! (Hattsuan)
And Shizuku's insistence on being deadpan while suggesting and doing silly stuff is just silly, silly.

3. Mabo is the cutest. He should be more popular, dagnabbit.

4. Even after the timeskip, it's not told if Sasayan and Natsume ever got together. I must knooow.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rurouni Kenshin FINISHED

What a great series, solid through and through.

Kenshin developed quite a bit throughout this series with loads of backstory and changes to his character as it goes on. While the rest of the cast is very go-along-the-motions, Kenshin on the other hand is truly the star of this series. Such an awesome and detailed character.

At times the action scenes can be hard to follow, especially the scenes where swords are involved. But this improves as the series goes on, resulting in the awesome final battle between Enishi and Kenshin which was the most intense battle this series has to offer.

I think Kaoru should've stayed dead though. But anyway. B+

Favorite characters: Kenshin, Saito, Kenshin's master, Megumi, Shishio
Favorite arc: Redemption arc (not technically an arc, but anyway)
Least favorite character: Kaoru
Least favorite arc: Tokyo arc

Kaoru wasn't as bad in the anime, she was still pretty bad, but she wasn't sidelined nearly as much as the manga.

Big One

Banned
Kaoru wasn't as bad in the anime, she was still pretty bad, but she wasn't sidelined nearly as much as the manga.
Well one word to describe Kaoru to me is: Bland. The only time we really get to see any development from her is when she got emo over Kenshin leaving for Kyoto which had more to do with Kenshin's arc in the long run than her's to be honest. She's more of a plot device, and as a plot device I think it would've been appropriate for her to be killed by Enishi instead of psyching the readers.

Well one word to describe Kaoru to me is: Bland. The only time we really get to see any development from her is when she got emo over Kenshin leaving for Kyoto which had more to do with Kenshin's arc in the long run than her's to be honest. She's more of a plot device, and as a plot device I think it would've been appropriate for her to be killed by Enishi instead of psyching the readers.
And she got the shonen's female-getting-sidelined syndrome hard, too. She did some impressive stuff at the beginning and during Battle at the Aoiya, but in the end she comes off as being more helpless than Yahiko despite supposedly being his teacher.

At least it's not as bad as Samurai Deeper Kyo's Yuya. Still bitter about that one.

one of the best mango movies is rurouni kenshin: trust and betrayal
While the less said about the other one, the better.

I was not feeling this at first due to Haru's, eh, extreme weirdness. I later adjusted equilibrium and I came to like it very much.

I feel that "union of two imperfect people" is a romance trope oft neglected in Japanese comic. In this case, the exaggerated flaws of both two leads complement each other really well, leading to enjoyable interactions and great character arcs of equal measures. The comic succeeded in showing not only how and why they like each other, but also how and why the need each other. To see how they interact right at the end filled me with glee, knowing how far they've come.

Random thoughts:
1. The silent "and so one year passed by" montage is brutal. Way too fast, way too many feels. How fleeting life is.

And Shizuku's insistence on being deadpan while suggesting and doing silly stuff is just silly, silly.

4. Even after the timeskip, it's not told if Sasayan and Natsume ever got together. I must knooow.

I loveeeeeeee this series. I can't wait to buy them in English from Kodansha even if I hate them so.

Vol.13 is supposed to be an epilogue of some sorts and maybe things get answered there.

Charade

Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e 2

Well that was fast...I thought it was going to take a little while before she started to like him.
And she resembles his past love, of course :D

dumbyugi

Zettai Karen Children 370-374

I don't even care that the translation isn't that good, I'm just glad this is finally getting scanned again. That said the bad translation does make it a little hard to follow. This arc should wrap up all the feather stuff and we can finally move on to the Highschool/final arc. My guess is that Gilliam & the clones will be the final bosses and that Babel and Pandora will finally team up properly to beat them. I would also guess that Hyobu will die at some stage.

Zephyx

Random thoughts:

I need to read the manga. Loved the anime.

kasane

Zettai Karen Children 370-374

I don't even care that the translation isn't that good, I'm just glad this is finally getting scanned again. That said the bad translation does make it a little hard to follow. This arc should wrap up all the feather stuff and we can finally move on to the Highschool/final arc. My guess is that Gilliam & the clones will be the final bosses and that Babel and Pandora will finally team up properly to beat them. I would also guess that Hyobu will die at some stage.

damn i know i know the title but i cant remember anythign about it

make sense since it seems the translations had stopped

Yep.

Tomoe was wayyyyyyyy more interesting than Kaoru. The wrong one died, I say.

kasane

Yep.

Tomoe was wayyyyyyyy more interesting than Kaoru. The wrong one died, I say.

fuck making me remember sad things

but without her dying kenshin wouldnt be kenshin. Also kaoru, is as everybody knows the typical shonen female lead that will help heal the MC`s wounds

Big One

Banned
I just made it to ep2 of the anime, does the series give great focus to Yahiko? hes the best character.
No. You might as well give up if you're expecting Yahiko to have anything significant happen.

Ok just kidding, he wins some battles. Not much, but some. And he has a pretty good end. But he isn't the focus of the manga whatsoever, Kenshin is.

To be honest the only character to get any real character development is Kenshin to be honest. The others have some, but Kenshin is in a constant state of development that makes the manga what it is. So if you're expecting anything else, you're going to be disappointed.

all the other characters are just, "Woah he's pretty badass." or "Woah he's pretty cool dude." or just "Bleh."

What's a good manga that's like a thousand chapters and actually finished?

I keep starting new comics and I hate reading everything in bulk and it not being done.

Stuff I like:

• GTO
  • Sanctuary
  • REAL
  • 7 Seeds
  • Lone Wolf and Cub

Seinen, Josei, no shonen bullshit please or anything where people's eyes are bigger than their hands.

kasane

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";120439681]What's a good manga that's like a thousand chapters and actually finished?

I keep starting new comics and I hate reading everything in bulk and it not being done.

Stuff I like:

• GTO
  • Sanctuary
  • REAL
  • 7 Seeds
  • Lone Wolf and Cub

Seinen, Josei, no shonen bullshit please or anything where people's eyes are bigger than their hands.[/QUOTE]
I`m interested too

i gotta get that list sometime since i remember reading pretty good ones but i can`t remember the names for the life of me

at least list the notable ones

Calvero

Banned
Umimachi Diary vol.4

This manga is so perfect.
This volume focused on Suzu, the evolution of her relationship with Futa... It was amazing. The chemistry between these two keeps on improving. What I like the most about this manga is that every chapter can almost be read like a one shot, with a unique theme every time. I guess that's the advantage of monthly series, you can fit more things into a single chapter.
Every manga fan in France should buy this.

This one looks interesting! But no english version to buy :(

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";120439681]What's a good manga that's like a thousand chapters and actually finished?
Seinen, Josei, no shonen bullshit please or anything where people's eyes are bigger than their hands.[/QUOTE]
I don't typically read 1000 chapter long stuff, sorry. But if you want a good completed seinen manga, try Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. For a good completed josei manga, try Kids on the Slope.

Not entirely sure if these match up with your list, because I haven't read any of them yet.

Big One

Banned
I don't typically read 1000 chapter long stuff, sorry. But if you want a good completed seinen manga, try Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. For a good completed josei manga, try Kids on the Slope.

Not entirely sure if these match up with your list, because I haven't read any of them yet.
I'll be picking up this series once it's officially released in English. Looking forward to it.

As for not reading any of those I'll suggest you change that. Though I personally find Sanctuary to be a bit overrated tbqh but the others are pretty ace.

Which reminds me, I'm currently collecting GTO as my next manga series. The first three volumes were awesome and funny as shit. I just wish Tokyopop was still in business so maybe they could reprint these into a box set or something.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be picking up this series once it's officially released in English. Looking forward to it.

As for not reading any of those I'll suggest you change that. Though I personally find Sanctuary to be a bit overrated tbqh but the others are pretty ace.
I think the biggest crime is that the series hasn't gotten an anime. It's perfect for one.

Yeah I know, I really need to get on it. I have a hard time starting anything longer than like 50 chapters though. I know out of that list, I'd start reading 7 Seeds, because I think FlutterPuffs keeps reccing it.

Big One

Banned
One thing I did like about the Jinchu arc, is that the villain actually had a reason to get into a huge fight with Kenshin. Shishio didn't really have any animosity towards Kenshin, more-so the Meiji government and made him seem more like an anti-hero if anything. But Enishi on the other hand is just pure evil born from tragedy, which was refreshing compared to Shishio's stance. I do think the Kyoto arc is overall better as a sequence of story events as the Jinchu arc felt like it was action sequence after action sequence, but the whole Redemption arc and the tone of the store once Kaoru was killed was done very well. It's just too bad Kaoru had to be kept alive to bring the tone to a more happy one.

Rhapsody

Banned
They're the best couple and they kept on teasing the readers :/
One thing I did like about the Jinchu arc, is that the villain actually had a reason to get into a huge fight with Kenshin. Shishio didn't really have any animosity towards Kenshin, more-so the Meiji government and made him seem more like an anti-hero if anything. But Enishi on the other hand is just pure evil born from tragedy, which was refreshing compared to Shishio's stance. I do think the Kyoto arc is overall better as a sequence of story events as the Jinchu arc felt like it was action sequence after action sequence, but the whole Redemption arc and the tone of the store once Kaoru was killed was done very well. It's just too bad Kaoru had to be kept alive to bring the tone to a more happy one.

Kenshin definitely earned all that happiness though by the end of the series. I can't see Kenshin ever recovering and beating the bad guys if she ever died.

Jinchu's arc with the flashback was great, but the battles were really weak imo
It sort of reminded me of Yu Yu Hakusho on how the ending was handled.

I just recently re-read GTO and it made me realize how much jaded I've become. I went from "I wish I had a teacher like that" to "this person basically teaches students a life of irresponsibility".

I'm pretty sure they'll be 100% confirmed in the wedding chapter
believe
That's the last chapter of the Extra Volume, yes? I am holding off reading that volume until the last chapter appears.

Big One

Banned
Kenshin definitely earned all that happiness though by the end of the series. I can't see Kenshin ever recovering and beating the bad guys if she ever died.

Jinchu's arc with the flashback was great, but the battles were really weak imo
It sort of reminded me of Yu Yu Hakusho on how the ending was handled.
I dunno I thought the actual battle between Enishi and Kenshin was awesome. But the others were kind of eh imo. The Shishio battles were overall much better paced, and all of them had a decent amount of characterization that made me care about the battle itself more than normal.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm pretty sure they'll be 100% confirmed in the wedding chapter
believe
Are there still new chapters to be written? Or is it just chapters yet to be scanlated?
I dunno I thought the actual battle between Enishi and Kenshin was awesome. But the others were kind of eh imo. The Shishio battles were overall much better paced, and all of them had a decent amount of characterization that made me care about the battle itself more than normal.

It's been awhile since I've read it, but I think I thought it was okay due to the final battles being pretty one sided?
And I expected the final attack to be a little different, but it was still interesting.

It was still good though since I like how he didn't try to repeat the Kyoto arc with just different enemies.

into the heartbeat ex 2-3

The extra feels like youd want to ship the two friends more especially how he is laying all over him, but it seems more like its getting Hide and etc back together since the friend is trying match them up. Odd way to do an extra story in a BL.

District Hakkenshi [code:T-8] 32

The cover image changed. Now that they found the girl assumed to be the one the promise was made too, who sent the app? I dont even know if there was any ever involved in the story that could do that. New antagonist?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Stuff I like:

• GTO
  • Sanctuary
  • REAL
  • 7 Seeds
  • Lone Wolf and Cub

Kyou kara ore wa.

Chrono Monochrome 4
BsO4t7cCIAAe6g_.png

So close. I thought Kuromu would get over his weakness, which thanks to the turk he could, but then now a visual weakness, this is just a bit intense. If there is a match next chapter I think he'll be forced to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom