• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not really a fan of them either and they seem like they are just there so Ishida can be in the spotlight again.

With that there are a handful of them I have some interest in seeing so I should get some entertainment (currently shown ones are no where on that list so they can fuck off)

Almost all of them are pointless no-personality characters that seem like they exist to inhabit some random character designs Kubo made. I mean, the difference between say, Grimmjow or Ulquiorra and virtually any of these guys is pretty big. Sure, you can tenuously tie them to the previous storyline arcs of Bleach, but to repeat myself, its tenuous at best to say these guys have some kind of place in the overall storyline.

That's not true. There have been good chapters of Bleach and worse ones too. Indeed, I will honestly say that these chapters are a large improvement upon all the Hueco Mundo saga chapters. Back then, Kubo would've done this trick but cover only 1 fight at a time. At least now he's trying to cover 3 fights at once and shows that he's still trying to give this arc an improved sense of pacing. The problem is that we've been reading Bleach for 12 years now and thus know all of his tricks and writing style.

You know, Le Vaar revealed that Juha Bach knew about the improved abilities of the captains after they lose bankai. There´s a reason that BG9 was seeking after Soi Fong, and Bazz-B was fighting Hitsugaya. It was to see if Juha Bach´s plans were acurate, or he needs to adjust them. The shinigami will lose this battle as well. This much is certain. No one can touch Juha Bach yet. No one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's not true. There have been good chapters of Bleach and worse ones too. Indeed, I will honestly say that these chapters are a large improvement upon all the Hueco Mundo saga chapters. Back then, Kubo would've done this trick but cover only 1 fight at a time. At least now he's trying to cover 3 fights at once and shows that he's still trying to give this arc an improved sense of pacing. The problem is that we've been reading Bleach for 12 years now and thus know all of his tricks and writing style.

Pretty much. Kubo is going to have to step out of his comfort zone if he wants to surprise us at this point, or bring back Aizen as the true big bad (this wouldn't be surprising, but I really want it to happen).

You know, Le Vaar revealed that Juha Bach knew about the improved abilities of the captains after they lose bankai. There´s a reason that BG9 was seeking after Soi Fong, and Bazz-B was fighting Hitsugaya. It was to see if Juha Bach´s plans were acurate, or he needs to adjust them. The shinigami will lose this battle as well. This much is certain. No one can touch Juha Bach yet. No one.

None of that really has anything to do with what he said.

Pretty much. Kubo is going to have to step out of his comfort zone if he wants to surprise us at this point, or bring back Aizen as the true big bad (this wouldn't be surprising, but I really want it to happen).

Kubo has surprised almost everyone 3 month ago. So much for comfort zone.

None of that really has anything to do with what he said.

It had everything to do with what he said. He said nothing happened yet a lot happened that have implications for the upcoming chapters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kubo has surprised almost everyone 3 month ago. So much for comfort zone.

It had everything to do with what he said. He said nothing happened yet a lot happened that have implications for the upcoming chapters.

You mean when he took a break?

And that's not what he said at all. At no point do the words "nothing happened at all," or anything similar to them, appear. He said the pacing is better but since Kubo is still pulling from the same bag of tricks that it is predictable.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Don't worry, Yhwach and the Wandenreich are just playing in the palm of Aizen's hands. There was no point in that tiny Aizen scene during the initial invasion if not to foreshadow the grand reveal. They've been workin for him from the start. This whole arc is a troll.

It´s not that Bach has predicted that the shinigami will train, he also predicted that their training will be useless against his army, and that´s the difference. He predicted their level after losing their bankai and after their training.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

I like how Bach is apparently some mastermind for assuming the shinigami would improve their other skills after losing Bankai.

Bach using medals to steal bankai make him the ultimate mastermind in Bleach. He rendered the shinigami largely useless. The diversion while he spoke to Aizen make him a mastermind as well.

Yonafunu

It´s not that Bach has predicted that the shinigami will train, he also predicted that their training will be useless against his army, and that´s the difference. He predicted their level after losing their bankai and after their training.

Well yeah, of course it'd be useless. There's no way they'd be able to make up for the loss of a Bankai. I don't think it's that hard to predict.

grandjedi6

Shocker: training for a few days isn't enough to overcome the loss of your bankai, which you trained for hundreds of years.

Bach using medals to steal bankai make him the ultimate mastermind in Bleach. He rendered the shinigami largely useless. The diversion while he spoke to Aizen make him a mastermind as well.

Having magic medals that can steal Bankais, that no one else has or even knew of, doesn't make one a mastermind. It just means they have a magic power that no one knew of.

Hell, the only reason Soul Society was even surprised by the medals was that it contradicted the series' logic for Bankais in the first place.

Almost all of them are pointless no-personality characters that seem like they exist to inhabit some random character designs Kubo made. I mean, the difference between say, Grimmjow or Ulquiorra and virtually any of these guys is pretty big. Sure, you can tenuously tie them to the previous storyline arcs of Bleach, but to repeat myself, its tenuous at best to say these guys have some kind of place in the overall storyline.

And you see Kubo trying to tie them too with the whole Misaki and the Barrier stuff but I just see most of them as mooks/fodder so I hardly give a fuck what they do

I like how Bach is apparently some mastermind for assuming the shinigami would improve their other skills after losing Bankai.

Savvyness goes a long way in shounen :p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
At this point the prospect of Aizen is keeping me more interested in Bleach's current state of terribleness than the snorefest that is One Piece and the horriblefest that is Naruto.

Shocker: training for a few days isn't enough to overcome the loss of your bankai, which you trained for hundreds of years.

And yet, Soi Fong perfected her shunko, and Hitsugaya became a team player in a very short period.

Having magic medals that can steal Bankais, that no one else has or even knew of, doesn't make one a mastermind. It just means they have a magic power that no one knew of.

Strategy 101: Know your enemy, know their strength and weakness and then crush them. Taking the shinigami´s strongest weapon and advantage is the definition of a mastermind.

Hell, the only reason Soul Society was even surprised by the medals was that it contradicted the series' logic for Bankais in the first place.
Lol what? It does not contradict anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't remember, why didn't Bach just kill everyone when he got there the first time

I think he means there isn't any reason to assume Bankai was severable from the zanpakuto in first place.

Angry Grimace

Just wanted to meet Aizen :p

All of that for the boss himself and even Bach was not immune to dat trolling.

But isn't his ultimate goal like killing everyone? Why would he just leave after completely fucking over every shinigami?

I don't remember, why didn't Bach just kill everyone when he got there the first time

His powers were waning. He had to go back to his shadow world. Besides he was concerned about the arrival of the royal guard.

I think he means there isn't any reason to assume Bankai was severable from the zanpakuto in first place.

Szayel espada number 8 suppressed Renji´s bankai by studying his riatsu. Szayel also tried to control Mayuri´s bankai. Mayuri destroyed his own bankai and rebuild it and keeps adding artificial poisons to it. I see these as a precedent that bankai can be manipulated, suppressed by the enemy, so why not bankai can get stolen?

grandjedi6

And yet, Soi Fong perfected her shunko, and Hitsugaya became a team player in a very short period.
...Which still ended up failing to compensate for the loss of their bankai.

And pointing out their ability to perfect alternate means in a few days after not doing so for hundreds of years, doesn't seem to help your argument here.

Strategy 101: Know your enemy, know their strength and weakness and then crush them. Taking the shinigami´s strongest weapon and advantage is the definition of a mastermind.
And whats the alternate here? Not using your magic medals to take people's bankais? That's just being stupid. In this scenario the two options are apparently being stupid or being a mastermind with no inbetween. Using your magic medals does not make you a mastermind and taking away your opponents strongest power is just common sense if its possible.

Yeah, that. Bankai's are just the sword's spirit, so there is no reason why anyone should have expected that the Sternritter's could take the Bankai and sword's spirit but somehow leave the sword itself and its shikai. Even Soul Society thought that was stupid, which is why they originally thought the medals sealed bankais rather than stealing them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But isn't his ultimate goal like killing everyone? Why would he just leave after completely fucking over every shinigami?

His true goal has gotta involve the Spirit King in some capacity. There's probably a lot involved in making that happen.

Szayel espada number 8 suppressed Renji´s bankai by studying his riatsu. Szayel also tried to control Mayuri´s bankai. Mayuri destroyed his own bankai and rebuild it and keeps adding artificial poisons to it. I see these as a precedent that bankai can be manipulated, suppressed by the enemy, so why not bankai can get stolen?

Actually stealing it implies it's distinct from the zanpakutou somehow, not just a state of it. Supressing or manipulating a state is one thing, but a bankai existing as its own entity, separate from the shikai? That in particular is something we've never had hinted, especially when Zangetsu changed forms in Ichigo's inner world when he became Tensa Zangetsu, rather than being a totally different person. It's not like the zanpukutou minus the bankai is just an empty dead sword, that could've been understood, total theft of the spirit in some capacity, but shikai still being around and functioning? Something funky is going on there.

Angry Grimace

His powers were waning. He had to go back to his shadow world. Besides he was concerned about the arrival of the royal guard.

Uh, because none of those cases involved the use their Bankai and their Shikai at the same time as separate entities?

Actually stealing it implies it's distinct from the zanpakutou somehow, not just a state of it. Supressing or manipulating a state is one thing, but a bankai existing as its own entity, separate from the shikai? That in particular is something we've never had hinted, especially when Zangetsu changed forms in Ichigo's inner world when he became Tensa Zangetsu, rather than being a totally different person. It's not like the zanpukutou minus the bankai is just an empty dead sword, that could've been understood, total theft of the spirit in some capacity, but shikai still being around and functioning? Something funky is going on there.
Its possible it could be explained later (e.g. they're just copying it and sealing at the same time), but if it works as advertised its a consistency issue.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
After seeing 2 of you constantly talk about it I decided to try out this Kingdom manga.

Chapters 1 + 2

Solid as fuck start wow, but then suddenly WTF Piao just right t here? This is too sudden my body wasn't ready!

wonzo

Banned
Stephen Hawking may have an incredible understanding of space, time, and the universe; but could he possibly hope to understand the nuances of Bleach?

Angry Grimace

Stephen Hawking may have an incredible understanding of space, time, and the universe; but could he possibly hope to understand the nuances of Bleach?

Maybe he can explain how bankai can exist separately of the sword itself

G.ZZZ

Bach may be a mastermind, but is he smart enough to appreciate the depth of Bleach?

The narrative of Bleach is essentially Aizen, and Aizen is smarter than Bach, so my answer would be no. Also if i'm not mistaken, Bach never showed the "deep eyes" that make characters smart in this manga as far as i understand, so he gotta be pretty dumb.

EDIT: this is the second image in google for "deep eyes Bleach" i don't know if i should be amazed that someone made the same connections that i did and is metatrolling me, or if someone really believe this shit lmao

Bleach417Ichigo-resolve.jpg

The narrative of Bleach is essentially Aizen, and Aizen is smarter than Bach, so my answer would be no. Also if i'm not mistaken, Bach never showed the "deep eyes" that make characters smart in this manga as far as i understand, so he gotta be pretty dumb.

EDIT: this is the second image in google for "deep eyes Bleach" i don't know if i should be amazed that someone made the same connections that i did and is metatrolling me, or if someone really believe this shit lmao

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/tbdimension/Bleach/Bleach417Ichigo-resolve.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Deep eyes, pretty hair.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Maybe he can explain how bankai can exist separately of the sword itself

I mean.. I do think it'll be explained eventually. They'll probably go into how they created the stealing devices. Some hidden truth about zanpakutou. But the fact is that as of right now, yes, it goes against what we know. Which is kinda the point, the shinigami wouldn't have been so totally shocked by it otherwise.

bigkrev

Sometimes, i'm happy I stopped reading Bleach in 2006.

Shokugeki no Soma

Dad seems like a real badass. Nice foodgasim moment as well.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I personally think Bleach is deep. It's sad that most of you can't understand its true depth and instead turn to shit manga like whatever you're reading that's not Bleach. I would write 3-post analyses per chapter, as they warrant them, but I am too busy actually analyzing the chapters that I don't have the time. Give it a try sometime, but if you don't look hard enough it'll fly right over your head.

Hey guys this isn't Wednesday anymore.

Anyways I see no point in getting into the discussion this time around.

Beelzebub

Strategist Furuichi is best Furuichi. #TeamStrategist!

Aoi please appear more! Need another adventure to the demon world again. Been too long in the human world imo.

Angry Grimace

I personally think Bleach is deep. It's sad that most of you can't understand its true depth and instead turn to shit manga like whatever you're reading that's not Bleach. I would write 3-post analyses per chapter, as they warrant them, but I am too busy actually analyzing the chapters that I don't have the time. Give it a try sometime, but if you don't look hard enough it'll fly right over your head.

I remember when you used to try.

Angry Grimace

Speaking of inconsistent powers in manga, didn't they say only like 10 chapters ago that its really hard to just "transfer" chakra and that its a special power that Kurama (and Naruto by extension) has? How the fuck is Sasuke doing that right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom