• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabesque

The Naruto spinoff is only a mini.
Even if it is a mini series, it doesn't change the fact it'll be included in the magazine. They are probably worried about having 11 (or if they add another Jump start, 12) regular manga every week when they might not have the money to do so.

In other related news, looks like the early spoilers for the ToC is out and the Naruto spin-off will be starting on the 27th of April (Issue 22/23). Obviously it'll be leaked much earlier (probably on the 23rd) but now we know when it'll start.

Vito

Banned
newspapers stealing from other newspapers is a time honoured tradition since the jazz age at the very least!

Yeah, except ANN watermarks the copies articles and publishes them before the magazines are even out. The thing is though, ANN staff has in the past called leakers destructive psychopaths and sent out C&D letters, lol.

dani_dc

Is there any similar event to anime Japan but focused on mangas?

Boku Girl 41

That was really lewd.
I can't see anything stopping this pairing at this point.

Yeah but half a Comiket? Has there been some precedence to this?

Aw that's a shame. Well, the anime ought to increase readership if it's decent at least.
I honestly have no idea, that's pretty crazy. At least it's less things for me to check. Is it both days?

It was a true shame about Prison School, but I guess it's still not a particularly famous series.

Turok_TTZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157234663]I don't care about where the money goes, I don't think translating pirated material is work that deserves to be paid for to begin with.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I agree. I never asked for donations when I was active.
But fools are easily parted from their money.
It's a regrettable reality.

Zweizer

Banned
Mangaf I need quality yuri asap.

Complete series if possible.

You seem to have read most of them already.

• LOVE/DEATH (3 chapters translated, ongoing.)
  • Comprehensive Tovarisch (the series is over but not completely translated yet.)
  • Anko-san of the Deep-Sea Fish (8 chapters translated, ongoing.)
  • Legally Married Yuri Couple (3 chapters translated, though technically they're a series of one-shots.)

That's all I can think of for now.

Puruzi

Banned
Have you read these?:

• Prison School
  • Monster Musume
  • Yurika's Campus Life
  • Okusan
  • Oddman 11
  • Nana to Kaoru
  • Tsugumomo
  • My Balls
  • Minamoto-kun Monogatari
  • Boku Girl
Reading Prison School, Musume, and Okusan. Yurika's campus Life was too short. Will check out the others, thanks.

Vito

Banned
CA3v_6vUUAAJnxH.jpg:orig

Zweizer

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157264981]Prison School isn't smut, it's the comic equivalent of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia ^_^

Plus smut.[/QUOTE]

You're contradicting yourself, grandpa.

Quixzlizx

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157264981]Prison School isn't smut, it's the comic equivalent of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia ^_^

Plus smut.[/QUOTE]

Just drop the snobbishness and admit you're into a smut series. You won't be judged here.

Just drop the snobbishness and admit you're into a smut series. You won't be judged here.
The art is so good. I started reading it way back because Hiramoto Akira's perspective drawings are insane, and stayed for the comedy. As someone who draws for a living, I'm a huge fan of Prison School.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I see Prison School 159-160 are translated, then I see the next chapters skip to about 166. Are translators just refusing to translate those missing areas or is it just too intense to host anywhere? Lol.

Turok_TTZ

I see Prison School 159-160 are translated, then I see the next chapters skip to about 166. Are translators just refusing to translate those missing areas or is it just too intense to host anywhere? Lol.
Its all been translated already. /a/ surprisingly plentiful in translators, but lacking typesetters and editors to make scanlations.

Yes, whats missing is punks firing up photoshop or gimp, editing out the japanese text and replace with english.

edit: saw this on 4chan..

......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAH!
Utter stupidity at its finest.

^groups fighting each other is some of the stupidest bullshit I've ever seen. My experience with scanlation groups has been almost universally negative. If we're gonna do this illegal thing for fun, stop trying to turn it into some deranged community or worse, a job. Scanlators are basically internet rum-runners, except the things we're taking are legitimately morally wrong to spread around.
Its all been translated already. /a/ surprisingly plentiful in translators, but lacking typesetters and editors to make scanlations.

Yes, whats missing is punks firing up photoshop or gimp, editing out the japanese text and replace with english.

I used to do cleaning for a lot of different groups doing comics I didn't even care about because redrawing backgrounds is surprisingly fun. Editing is also fun because a lot of translations come from people whose first language is Japanese and you get to throw your own twist into the dialogue to make it read well.

After the first chapter of typesetting, I wanted to die.

Turok_TTZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157281427]^groups fighting each other is some of the stupidest bullshit I've ever seen. My experience with scanlation groups has been almost universally negative. If we're gonna do this illegal thing for fun, stop trying to turn it into some deranged community or worse, a job. Scanlators are basically internet rum-runners, except the things we're taking are legitimately morally wrong to spread around.[/quote]
This is truth.

After the first chapter of typesetting, I wanted to die.
Said every typesetter in fansub and scanlation crews ever.
Tell me about it man. I had to deal with quite some shit in my time.

Try being the only guy in a fansub crew who not only does translation checks, but typesets and times in Aegisub, and having to do quality checks plus encoding (filtering in Avisynth to remove shit). by myself. with no help, on a pentium 4 pc. god fucking damn it.

I recall helping a few scanlations though I asked not to be credited. Much politics in something that is morally wrong. why scanlators and fansub crews even bother?

hopefully as time goes by, the publishers and distributors wise up and end both scenes with digitial distribution.
I like Mangabox, Crunchyroll efforts for example. Viz seems to be doing okay job.

I find it amusing as fuck to see fansub crews handling Jojo's bizarre adventure when Crunchyroll is doing fantastic with it.

Also UQ Holder! Mangastream was on it but eventually backed down for w/e reason. Crunchyroll doing a fantastic job with UQ Holder! no need for scanlation crew to pick it up.
I hope for similar futures with other series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a self-renewing sub to everything I can legitimately buy. Granted, there's some stuff where I'm not even aware of a way to buy it in paper, online or anything.

Turok_TTZ

Can't wait for prison school to hit the states. I'll buy 2 copies of the first volume. one that i can read, the other i can seal the fuck up and store along with my collection.
I must always have perfect back ups.

Li Kao

Bleach 1-2 / Toriko 1-2

Hmm, say what you want about the quality of Bleach, I just reread the first two episodes and it's quite a solid and fun read. Well, as I never made it past the first volume, I totally can imagine the quality dropping like a rock afterwards.

Now Toriko on the other hand... It was readable, so that's that. But upon finishing the second episode I can't help but ask myself why the fuck I would read that. Maybe it's a target audience issue, maybe a cultural issue, maybe I'm just too harsh, but that awfully looked like some wasted reading time.
I will insist but man did it not catch me.

Turok_TTZ

Bleach 1-2 / Toriko 1-2

Hmm, say what you want about the quality of Bleach, I just reread the first two episodes and it's quite a solid and fun read. Well, as I never made it past the first volume, I totally can imagine the quality dropping like a rock afterwards.

Now Toriko on the other hand... It was readable, so that's that. But upon finishing the second episode I can't help but ask myself why the fuck I would read that. Maybe it's a target audience issue, maybe a cultural issue, maybe I'm just too harsh, but that awfully looked like some wasted reading time.
I will insist but man did it not catch me.

didn't I say Bleach actually started out pretty well? it's after ichigo goes to soul society is where it starts to fall and never recover.

Yamada whatever

I'm curious enough to see where the plot goes, but I think trying to actually read this hurts my brain. Will skim from now on.

UQ Holder 73

Tota and Kuromaru confirmed OTP

Hmm, but is the Soul Society arc verrryy early in the series ? Is it really shit onward ? (' T_T)

After that point it literally becomes endless battles between characters you don't care about with very little plot. Of course that's when its popularity exploded...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You two realize you're directly admitting to piracy in a thread that runs on a don't ask don't tell policy, right? And then you go on about talking on about morals...

Please leave the rules lawyering to the mods.

We're not mentioning any names or linking to anything. It's just an open discussion on our past experiences with and feelings about scanlation. You don't get banned for mentioning illicit activities.

That'd be like getting banned for making a thread where you tell stories from when you used to run a gambling den.

Man, that would be a great thread, too.

Angry Grimace

Its a totally technical complaint that isn't the rule and completely runs on the meaningless distinction between directly admitting to something and indirectly admitting to something.

1/2 of the thread reads Prison School and doesn't know Japanese, yet the series isn't licensed anywhere. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Arabesque

Hmm, but is the Soul Society arc verrryy early in the series ? Is it really shit onward ? (' T_T)

I suppose it will depend on how disappointed you will be in learning all the promise of better things to come after the Soul Society ended up being a gigantic waste of time.

The Arrancar arc and the Lost Agent Arc's are pretty bad on that front since they, at multiple times, give you a small sample of what could really be an awesome story ... before switching to fights, fights, fights, fights, fights. Oh and needless plot twists about arrogant wannabe masterminds trying to outsmart a 15 year old.

UQ Holder 73

Tota and Kuromaru confirmed OTP

Akamatsu finally having a Motoko expy be the primary love interest?

Something's fishy.

Turok_TTZ

Its a totally technical complaint that isn't the rule and completely runs on the meaningless distinction between directly admitting to something and indirectly admitting to something.

1/2 of the thread reads Prison School and doesn't know Japanese, yet the series isn't licensed anywhere. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Ding... Though in my defense, I can actually read japanese a little bit. Some things you never forget.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157292974]We're not mentioning any names or linking to anything. It's just an open discussion on our past experiences with and feelings about scanlation. You don't get banned for mentioning illicit activities.

That'd be like getting banned for making a thread where you tell stories from when you used to run a gambling den.

Man, that would be a great thread, too.[/QUOTE]
...and ding. That would be a great thread indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom