• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabesque

I mean, Naruto is also food so whatever.
Sarada isn't that bad.

I mean, Sarada is an actual name. Salad might make sense if she was Naruto's kid or named after a character in a novel Kakashi wrote a la Jiraya.

There is just no saving Boruto though. At least Hinata had enough sense to name one of her children with a good name, hopefully the third is named the same as Himawari.

CrazyDude

Salad is mix of various vegetable=So Sarada is the mix of various women.

There is just no saving Boruto though. At least Hinata had enough sense to name one of her children with a good name, hopefully the third is named the same as Himawari.
At least it has meaning in that it's a mix of Neji's name and Minato's move.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece 784

QAFxDt7.jpg

Gear 4th greatness

I can't believe none of us guessed Luffy would turn himself into a superball, it seems so obvious now!

Arabesque

Salad is mix of various vegetable=So Sarada is the mix of various women.

I'm sensing a joke here ...

Seriously though, Sarada is as much a name as Asura(Ashura), Indra(Indora), Sasuke, Sarutobi, Jiraya and Kaguya are names. It's actually reasonable to name her that after the revelation by the Sage (and Sasuke being Indra reincarnated).

Salad makes sense, if Kishimoto was going for the Dragon Ball homage. It's not great, but it works on that level.

At least it has meaning in that it's a mix of Neji's name and Minato's move.

See, this is where it just doesn't work. If he wanted to continue to whole -to suffix naming scheme, that's fine. If he wanted to honour Neji's death, that also fine.

But combining the two in order to get both meanings from one name ended up with a ludicrous result where it is spelt as one thing but pronounced as another (and the pronunciation only works if it is read as if it was a Japanese person saying it, which might be the point)

Just because the name has meaning doesn't make it a good name. They could have had one kid with a -to name, another to honour Neji's, and Himawari instead of this weird amalgamation.

bobohoro

Finally got around to arrange my small physical Manga collection on a shelf in my new room and want to grow it now, but man, buying manga is so darn expensive.
Thought about getting Pandora Hearts, but all in all it would run me somewhere around 280€. Could get it for ~160€ too, but don't wanna read it in german. If you think that you could nearly get yourself a PS4 instead of a complete manga experience, something just doesn't feel right.

Preordered all volumes of Lucifer and the Buscuit Hammer instead.

Also interested in giving Light Novels a spin. Would Sword Art Online be the most obvious and easiest choice there?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sensing a joke here ...

Seriously though, Sarada is as much a name as Asura(Ashura), Indra(Indora), Sasuke, Sarutobi, Jiraya and Kaguya are names. It's actually reasonable to name her that after the revelation by the Sage (and Sasuke being Indra reincarnated).

Salad makes sense, if Kishimoto was going for the Dragon Ball homage. It's not great, but it works on that level.

No matter how you paint it the name Salad is dumb as shit and is in no way comparable to those other names.

I mean Salad, C'mon man...

360pages

I thought Salad was a play off of Sasuke's last name which could sound like Uchi Salad dressing. Which is a salad dressing in Japan.

Arabesque

Also interested in giving Light Novels a spin. Would Sword Art Online be the most obvious and easiest choice there?

I've been reading a few over the past few months, but I can only recommend English ones (don't know if they are translated into German, sorry).

If you are interested in Light novels, I would recommend starting with All You Need is Kill. It's only one volume, a short sci-fi story that's well written and has a nice theme throughout. You'll be able to find it easily since Viz did a reprint of the original novel when the film (Edge of Tomorrow) came out as part of their cross promotion with the manga and the comic (but really the Yoshitoshi ABe cover is the best). Also has an audiobook if your interested.

The first 2 volumes of Sword Art Online are also a good starting point, even if I didn't care much for the story myself. It's decent sc-fi fantasy, and a good place to start with LN reading.

If you want to get into longer novel series, Spice & Wolf is pretty great, and I personally enjoyed the Book Girl novel series and a few of the Fullmetal Alchemist novels Viz put out years ago, but it's been years since I last read them (don't know if you'll be able to find them nowadays though).

There are others like Zaregoto that I enjoyed (book 2 was far better than the first book however) and Gosick (mystery Light Novel series, but the English publisher gave no fuck to quality in the second novel to the point where there are spelling and grammar mistakes in there) but both of those had their English publishers (Delray and Tokyopop) went out of business years ago, so I doubt you can find them at a decent price now online.

For things I'm planning to read soon, The Devil is a Part-Timer (Loved the anime) and finally get around to checking the Haruki Suzumiya novels. Might post my thoughts once I'm done with them.

I heard good things about Log Horizon also, but I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive and didn't see the anime so I don't know if it's any good.

Hope that helps.

No matter how you paint it the name Salad is dumb as shit and is in no way comparable to those other names.

I mean Salad, C'mon man...

If it is Salad, it works if it is a homage to names like Bra, Bulma, Trunks, Briefs, Kakarot, Vegeta etc. Dragon Ball names. It's not great, but it works on that level. The issue comes from that in-universe, it works if she was named the same way Naruto was.

I personally think it's got to be Sarada considering Sasuke realising he is Indra(Indora)'s reincarnation, and fiting with the mythology of the world, and her parents having semi-normal names (one with a regular Japanese name, the other named after a historical figure). But it can work both ways I suppose

LeleSocho

Banned
Toriko 321
I hope Teppei isn't faking him being a bad guy, i would really enjoy a fight with him involved.

Shokugeki no Soma SPOILER
Is that a time skip? Soma looks way more mature... also dayuuuum at the Jump girls.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait till Luffy gets abounty upgrade for beating Doflamingo! I love bounty updates, lol.

Arabesque

Shokugeki no Soma SPOILER
Is that a time skip? Soma looks way more mature... also dayuuuum at the Jump girls.

Probably Winter break? Soma looked different when he came back from Summer Break as well

Unless we skipped to the end of year and we are now at them being 2nd years, but I doubt that

Erigu

[Naruto]
When I see "Sarada", all I can think of is "salad". The other names you gave are clear references to various myths/stories, but "Sarada"...

First thing that came to mind, yes... except Toriyama managed to have the kids' names be related to their parents'. Not sure what "Sarada" has to do with either "Sasuke" or "Sakura". Or "Karin". *cough*

Numb

The Gamer 84

Moving on up in the world. Let's turn this thing into a harem.

Bleach 624

Wise decision in bringing back the man himself.
They better have before this manga ended.

Onepunch-Man 44.5

dat ear wiggle tech

Terra Formars 119-121

This is fuckin stupid.
I also forgot there was a character named Eva paired with one named Adolf, both German. Christ.

I assume they will try to revive Michelle using electric shocks like a defibrillator and it will work, which is typical.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so is this Jump gonna be out next week, or 2 weeks.

It's on break next week, so the next issue will be released in 2 weeks.

Though the issue after Golden Week usually gets leaked a few days early, so the next chapters from Jump might be out by next Sunday or Monday, possibly.

Shouta

I don't think he actually did but it's really funny to accept that as the intended meaning of the scene immediately

Kishi is either trolling or believes that Sakura need to be shitted on even more then she already has

Of course he didn't but only the fact that such a thing is hinted is hilarious.

The very fact he even would put this red herring in front of is us maximum jerk though. Watch it turn out to be true and we all feel sorry for Sakura. =(

Numb

I make not like Sakura much but i would lose all respect for her if she has been doing that for years because of still being after Sasuke.

Arabesque

[Naruto]

When I see "Sarada", all I can think of is "salad". The other names you gave are clear references to various myths/stories, but "Sarada"...

I think the goal was to adapt "Saraswati"/"Sharada" into a Japanese name, which ended up being in this case as "Sarada". Same as Kishimoto did when he made "Asura" into "Ashura" and "Indra" into "Indora". But the transition from Sanakrit -> Japanese -> English lead to funky results, but Naruto (the series) always had strange results when it tried incorporating non-japanese names into the mix.

Like I said, it could also be a Dragon Ball homage. Or maybe her name is just "Sara"/"Sala" and the -da is just a verbal tick or something.

First thing that came to mind, yes... except Toriyama managed to have the kids' names be related to their parents'. Not sure what "Sarada" has to do with either "Sasuke" or "Sakura". Or "Karin". *cough

If "Sarada" is Kishimoto's own variation on "Saraswati", then her name would be related to a season ("Saraswati" being a goddess of Autumnal, "Sakura" being a tree blooming in Spring) and related to a deity from the same or a related pantheon (Sasuke is "Indra"/"Indora").

If it's "Salad" ... I don't know, "Sakura" is a type of plantation and "Salad" is made with different types of plants typically?

I mean, sure, Kishimoto came up with something as stupid as "Boruto" as a name and thought it sounded like a good compromise for naming the kid after Neji and Minato, but even then that connection was far deeper than just here's a food pun.

Unless the implication was that Sasuke really didn't care, and just named her after what he just ate the day she was born. Which if the theory about Karin is true, then that would make sense I suppose *cough*

Wait, so is this Jump gonna be out next week, or 2 weeks.

The Weekly Shonen Jump Issue with the first chapter of the Naruto mini-series comes out on the 27th of April, so what you read should be out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom