• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burritos are so tasty though.

hYzT7QU.png

Erigu

I think the goal was to adapt "Saraswati"/"Sharada" into a Japanese name, which ended up being in this case as "Sarada".
Like I explained over in that Boruto thread, I simply don't buy it. Even ignoring the "sharada -> sarada" jump (Japanese transcriptions of Sanskrit can indeed be a bit funky, and I wouldn't pretend I'm particularly familiar with them), I can't even find a single reference to that "Sharada" name on the Japanese web. Saraswati herself isn't particularly well-known in Japan in the first place (they're more about Benzaiten).

Or maybe her name is just "Sara"/"Sala" and the -da is just a verbal tick or something.
Nah.

I mean, sure, Kishimoto came up with something as stupid as "Boruto" as a name
It's actually kinda clever, especially for a series like Naruto.

360pages

Law ability is far too OP to join the Straw hats. I expect someone more obscure that no one really thinks about. Like Baby 5 or something if anyone does join after this arc.

Like how everyone expected Vivi to join but we got Robin.

The very fact he even would put this red herring in front of is us maximum jerk though. Watch it turn out to be true and we all feel sorry for Sakura. =(

I firmly believe that the Karin thing is a fake out. I'm more pissed that Kishimoto just has Sakura as some broke house wife. The woman that fought on the front lines of the war, surpassed Tsunade and old lady Chiyo in medical ninjutsu,The new Slug summoner and master of the 100 healing technique. A woman that punched a god in the face...

Is just doing laundry that faints because of a loan?

Really Kishimoto?

Shengar

Law ability is far too OP to join the Straw hats. I expect someone more obscure that no one really thinks about. Like Baby 5 or something if anyone does join after this arc.

Like how everyone expected Vivi to join but we got Robin.
Damn, I remember how unique looking and OP Robin's DF ability was during the Arabasta Arc. It's sad to see gow Robin agency and power as character degrade so much after Skypea.

360pages

It's weird, but honestly. A lot of characters have that happened to them. Ussop is supposed to be the weakest member of the crew. But honestly, I would put him above Nami and Even Chopper most of the time.

Am I the only one who dislikes Boruto with passion. I mean the little fucker is spoiled as fuck and he complains that his father doesn't give him enough attention when Naruto is Hokage. The fact he complains for no good reason and acts like a brat even though he's living the good life makes me detest this brat. Like Naruto actually had a good reason to be like that as a kid because he had no one, but this kid has everything and he still acts like a shitty brat. At this point Boruto is basically Naruto 2.0 who's a spoiled brat. Sheesh even Salad has more of a reason to act like him considering her family, with Sasuke being a shitty father.

I don't want to be a cynical jerk but Naruto should just end rather than rehashing shit and this is coming from a person who liked Naruto in the beginning.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird, but honestly. A lot of characters have that happened to them. Ussop is supposed to be the weakest member of the crew. But honestly, I would put him above Nami and Even Chopper most of the time.

I'd put it

Luffy
Zoro - Sanji
Brook
Robin
Chopper - Franky
Usopp - Nami

360pages

Am I the only one who dislikes Boruto with passion. I mean the little fucker is spoiled as fuck and he complains that his father doesn't give him enough attention when Naruto is Hokage. The fact he complains for no good reason and acts like a brat even though he's living the good life makes me detest this brat. Like Naruto actually had a good reason to be like that as a kid because he had no one, but this kid has everything and he still acts like a shitty brat. At this point Boruto is basically Naruto 2.0 who's a spoiled brat. Sheesh even Salad has more of a reason to act like him considering her family.

I don't want to be a cynical jerk but Naruto should just end rather than rehashing shit. Fuckin Burrito.

There is actually a lot of subtle differences between Naruto and Boruto. Sure he can be bratty, but it seems he still has respect for most of his teachers and what not. Only acting out for his dads attention. He also seems to have mutual respect for his classmates as well as vise versa. He more calm and he seems to understand the situation, (He knows that his dad is busy. Which is why he didn't really care if it was a shadow clone chasing after him or the real one. Just the fact that his dad was there was enough)

Am I the only one who dislikes Boruto with passion. I mean the little fucker is spoiled as fuck and he complains that his father doesn't give him enough attention when Naruto is Hokage. The fact he complains for no good reason and acts like a brat even though he's living the good life makes me detest this brat. Like Naruto actually had a good reason to be like that as a kid because he had no one, but this kid has everything and he still acts like a shitty brat. At this point Boruto is basically Naruto 2.0 who's a spoiled brat. Sheesh even Salad has more of a reason to act like him considering her family, with Sasuke being a shitty father.

I don't want to be a cynical jerk but Naruto should just end rather than rehashing shit. Fuckin Burrito.

Christ dude. He's a kid that wants to spend more time with his dad. Give the kid a break. We haven't seen nearly enough of Boruto to know anything about him yet.

I honest have no ideal where all this Boruto hate is coming from.

360pages

I'd put it

Luffy
Zoro - Sanji
Brook
Robin
Chopper - Franky
Usopp - Nami

Really, I would put Franky above Robin and Brook. Chopper being equal to Usopp with Nami at the bottom.

Pretty much

Luffy
Zoro
Sanji
Franky-Brook
Robin
Usopp-Chopper
Nami

Christ dude. He's a kid that wants to spend more time with his dad. Give the kid a break. We haven't seen nearly enough of Boruto to know anything about him yet.

I honest have no ideal where all this Boruto hate is coming from.

Yeah I know he wants to spend time with his father, but at least his father isn't dead or just left like Salad's father. I mean he's just spoiled and causing trouble even though his life isn't shit. He literally has a perfect family compared to Salad's. It's like Naruto all over again but with Boruto parents alive and well.

Arabesque

Like I explained over in that Boruto thread, I simply don't buy it. Even ignoring the "sharada -> sarada" jump (Japanese transcriptions of Sanskrit can indeed be a bit funky, and I wouldn't pretend I'm particularly familiar with them), I can't even find a single reference to that "Sharada" name on the Japanese web. Saraswati herself isn't particularly well-known in Japan in the first place (they're more about Benzaiten).

I missed the discussion on the Boruto thread, so I'm sorry if we are treading ground already crossed.

I think even if Saraswati herself isn't a popular or well known deity in Japan (being that they associate with her as Benzaiten), I think it is entirely possible that much in the same way certain other writers had incorporated non-Japanese myths/names/terminology into their stories when they had little to no full understanding of them, but decided to do some measure of research, Kishimoto might have done the same and did a bit more than just type in too Google and see a list of Hindu/Sanskrit gods and go with them.

By that token, I think that Kishimoto might have actually went outside and read a book about the origin of Buddhism in Japan, and through that rudimentary "research" decided to add some elements from it into his work. Now I'm not saying he went ahead and thought about how it all ties into his greater narrative or that the amount of "research" he did was plenty (A series about Ninja's with one named Sarutobi Sasuke clearly in its history and a main lead wearing an orange jumper and named after ramen toppings was clearly not well researched about historical ninja's) but it was enough for him to stumble on the name and decided it would be a good fit for Sasuke's daughter (and potentially Sakura's).

Maybe I am trying to see some sense in madness when I'm trying to argue its "Sarada" instead of "Salad", and Kishimoto really did name her after food because why not. Maybe I am giving Kishimoto far too much credit (most likely). But if the name is really "Salad", I'll just have to swallow my complaints and keep on calling her that.

She isn't the first character who got a ridiculous name in a manga before.

It's actually kinda clever, especially for a series like Naruto.

That means it's not really that clever with such a low par lol

I suppose it does work for what it is suppose to do, but I think having 3 kids each named after a certain theme (So one to follow the -to naming, another named after Neji, and another after the Hyuga) would've made it make more sense but eh.

The Adventures of Bort and Salad!

Coming soon to Nickelodeon.

The crossover no one was expecting or even wanted; The Simpsons and VeggieTales, together at last.

They really will air anything on Nickelodeon these days.

Erigu

Kishimoto might have done the same and did a bit more than just type in too Google and see a list of Hindu/Sanskrit gods and go with them.
I seriously doubt he did. He hasn't made many references to Hindu lore, and the few that are there are both fairly superficial and kinda awkward (ninja using a energy called "chakra"? sure, everybody else uses "ki" so I guess that's "original", but there's a good reason for that! and after "Kaguya" and "Hagoromo", we suddenly switch to Hinduism? and instead of going with "Indra/Asura" or "Taishakuten/Ashura", we end up with some weird mix of the two?), so to think he'd know about the name "Sharada" and its meaning...

Maybe I am trying to see some sense in madness when I'm trying to argue its "Sarada" instead of "Salad", and Kishimoto really did name her after food because why not. Maybe I am giving Kishimoto far too much credit (most likely). But if the name is really "Salad", I'll just have to swallow my complaints and keep on calling her that.
Oh, the official spelling might well end up being "Sarada" (even if she's named after the food). I imagine they'll release a guidebook for that Boruto movie, and we'll see then, if not sooner.

Arabesque

I seriously doubt he did. He hasn't made many references to Hindu lore, and the few that are there are both fairly superficial and kinda awkward (ninja using a energy called "chakra"? sure, everybody else uses "ki" so I guess that's "original", but there's a good reason for that! and after "Kaguya" and "Hagoromo", we suddenly switch to Hinduism? and instead of going with "Indra/Asura" or "Taishakuten/Ashura", we end up with some weird mix of the two?), so to think he'd know about the name "Sharada" and its meaning...

I was in the middle of writing a response when I remembered that Kishimoto had a villian named Pain who was using Hindu terminology for his jutsu, at which point I realised you were right. I really can't argue with that. You are most certainly right here.

Kishimoto only names stuff cause it sounds cool rather than it making perfect sense in his world, rather than focusing on whether it makes sense or not with his other established mythos. In this case, that makes Sasuke's daughter unlikely to be named after a goddess that needs actual research for Kishimoto to know about.

Ugh. This manga.

Oh, the official spelling might well end up being "Sarada" (even if she's named after the food). I imagine they'll release a guidebook for that Boruto movie, and we'll see then, if not sooner.

I will honestly flip a table if she was name after a salad and yet it's spelled "Sarada"

The guidebooks always had really strange romanisations (in particular with "Indra" being "Indora") so I'm sort of dreading what they'll come up with for "Sarada".

His hair looks a lot longer and he looks older. Then again I believe this issue is a special because its a crossover. I saw world trigger characters in the raws lol.

Compare the pic i showed you earlier to this.

There are 2 chapters of Shougeki no Soma in this issue of Weekly Shonen Jump

In one it is a special in which
Erina is serving food to the Jump heroines that are staring in in an anime or will be soonish (which will be One Piece, Nisekoi, HQ, Assanation Classroom, World Trigger and Gintama. It's similar to the special we got last year with Erina going to the pool with Alice over the summer.

In the other,
we only know that it is happening after Stagiaire Week is done. Whether this is the new year and Soma is about to start his 3rd term of his first year, or he just graduated into second year is still unknown. Hence why it isn't so much a time skip in the strictest sense, but similar to what happened when Soma came back to the tournament after his summer break.

Edit:

@SASAKI_Hisashi: NARUTO exhibition will open tomorrow! naruto-ten.com I was at the preview and it was WAY BEYOND expectation!
@SASAKI_Hisashi: If any of you are visiting Japan, I strongly recommend this exhibition. I am sure you can enjoy it even if you don`t know NARUTO.

Kakashi'so face reveal I suppose. Anyone going there?

Burritos are so tasty though.

That Naruto x Hinata panel is damn adorable.

And yeah, that thing about Sarada is trolltastic. Sakura stays taking the L left and right. I bet all the super invested Sasu x Saku shippers who were popping champagne in the streets are currently planning some serial killer-like murder rituals for Kishi after that. XD

One Piece 784

Well I've defended Oda's designs before...but not this one. The power is cool but do you think it could've been not so fucking lame looking?

I do think that there are multiple models, and that's why he said "Boundman" as a variation. Kind of like Chopper. This is still probably the most exciting thing to happen to the series since the timeskip.

That would be cool if he reveals other variations. I'm still feeling iffy with his design though.

Witchcraft Works Vol.04

jw3Vwd9l.png

So many sides of Kagari seen in this chapter. Always nice to see that Honoka does want to fight but never seems to get the chance to actually to.

The look into the past is pretty nice and looking for the super long weekend.

jbug617

Banned
Are the three on the left supposed to be anyone?

I believe it's:

I think the first one is
teacher from Assassination Classroom
. 2nd is
Kiyoko Shimizu from Haikyuu
and 3rd is
Chika Amatori from World Trigger.

Actually looks like the story about Tosh drawing Shounen Jump heroines.

Cause that's Ms. Bitch, the girl manager from Haikyuu and someone from World Trigger?

Is it a side story? There is also pics of some of the foodgasms featuring some of those characters.

Lain

All this talk about possible Sakura NTR has made me want to go back and re-read some canon Naruto story as told and drawn by Sahara Wataru, because Sakura's forehead is too good to be NTR'd!

Arabesque

This is like the third time the Soma spoilers are brought up lol guess it's better to just drop the spoiler tags and just say it in the open.

Thanks its just hard to find the raws for Soma. My main to go site is down atm who usually post legit spoilers.

Np. I think I know what you are talking about. Yeah it's been down for a while now. Should be up soon though.

IIs it a side story? There is also pics of some of the foodgasms featuring some of those characters.

It's a special chapter that in addition to the regular chapter for this issue. It will have Erina serving food to the Jump female leads who have are going to be (or are already in) and anime.

Characters are
Bitch Sensei from Assanation Classroom, Kiyoko from HQ, Chika Amator (RIP Kitora)i from World trigger, Kagura from Gintama, Chitogie from Nisekoi, and Nami from One Piece.

We are getting this chapter in similar fashion to the one we had about Erina going to the public pool with Alice a year ago. Except this time it's non-canon.

Who in the Hell is Josuke Higashikata AKA JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8 JoJolion 42

So there are multiple stone people/pillar men, and Aishou is one.

Ending to the fight was very weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom