• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story of Liu Bei throwing his baby son to the ground is actually a fabrication. The intent of the fabrication however is to show how Liu Bei valued a loyal and strong man more than family. But it's bad because he's literally throwing an innocent baby on the ground. In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, this toss is used to explain why Liu Shan is an idiot (Liu Bei dropped him on his head!) even though the real guy wasn't that much of an idiot. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms author should have stuck to the other fabricated story, where Liu Bei threw an axe at a guy who suggested that Zhao Yun ran away (technically not a more flattering portrayal of Liu Bei though).

Real life Liu Bei definitely valued his family quite little for sure. I think there's at least one incident in which he abandoned his family to save his own hide. Lady Mi was captured like three times. She was never actually confirmed dead and Liu Bei married two other women (actual marriages, not just taking the other women as consorts) while he was still married to Lady Mi. (One of them is famously Lady Sun who scared him all the time since she basically brought an army of female warriors with her.) He also had an adopted son that he took care of as his son until he had a real blood-related son, and then he was like, I don't want that adopted kid inheriting my throne, so Liu Bei killed his adopted son. Great dad.

Shows that Wu's the best.

And yeah, it's pretty funny how heroic Liu Bei is in ROTK compared to real life.

bigkrev

And yeah, it's pretty funny how heroic Liu Bei is in ROTK compared to real life.

My first exposure to R3K was the Magic set, where Shu was White (and thus the good guys), Wei was Black (and thus the bad guys), and Wu was Blue (way more cunning and probably more evil than black)

I wonder if we wont get either new series in viz jump (after week 3).
CELV9CmVEAE8XO4.png:large

Zweizer

Banned
My first exposure to R3K was the Magic set, where Shu was White (and thus the good guys), Wei was Black (and thus the bad guys), and Wu was Blue (way more cunning and probably more evil than black)

There's a Romance of the 3 Kingdoms Magic set??

Makes sense, given that one of the golden rules of magic has always been "fuck the dick that's using that BS blue deck".

Arabesque

Oh wow, it seems the negative reaction to E-Robot had killed any chance a series that focuses on fan service ever making into Jump Start.

Not that I cared much for Lady Justice given how the one shot looked like.

Cao Cao always have thing of wresting others, whether they are general or wife from other men.

Yeah, that is a quirk of his alright. His constant attempt to get men of valour directly under his control is usually his best quality and worst enemy.

That and his over the top brutality.

The story of Liu Bei throwing his baby son to the ground is actually a fabrication. The intent of the fabrication however is to show how Liu Bei valued a loyal and strong man more than family. But it's bad because he's literally throwing an innocent baby on the ground.

Obviously I was talking about how the story was depicted here ^_^

the intent was obviously to show Liu Bei, Lady Mi and Zhao Yun in a positive light which is why it was placed in that context (and why the baby wasn't thrown into the ground but into the arms of a nearby soldier).

In any context, throwing a baby is a terrible thing to do ... but this is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, so it was meant to be a dramatic way to show how much Liu Bei respected and treasured Zhao Yun (and wanting to focus on the issue at hand, in this version).

In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, this toss is used to explain why Liu Shan is an idiot (Liu Bei dropped him on his head!) even though the real guy wasn't that much of an idiot. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms author should have stuck to the other fabricated story, where Liu Bei threw an axe at a guy who suggested that Zhao Yun ran away (technically not a more flattering portrayal of Liu Bei though).

To be honest, I think this was the only way to show this event without making Liu Bei (the fictional manga character) a complete monster, since he does mention that he didn't want to feel relieved that his son was safe or be sad over his wife's death at that moment.

I mean, cutting the entire thing wasn't an option since this was one of Zhao Yun's most famous and legendary acts in the war, and the ax throwing ... Yeah, wouldn't match with the character the author had shown of Liu Bei thus far.

Real life Liu Bei definitely valued his family quite little for sure. I think there's at least one incident in which he abandoned his family to save his own hide. Lady Mi was captured like three times. She was never actually confirmed dead and Liu Bei married two other women (actual marriages, not just taking the other women as consorts) while he was still married to Lady Mi. (One of them is famously Lady Sun who scared him all the time since she basically brought an army of female warriors with her.) He also had an adopted son that he took care of as his son until he had a real blood-related son, and then he was like, I don't want that adopted kid inheriting my throne, so Liu Bei killed his adopted son. Great dad.

Oh absolutely. If we bring in the actual, historical Liu Bei into the discussion, we might as well be talking about a completely different person from how he is shown here. The actual Liu Bei was closer to being a "better" Warlord who was more successful than a lot of his competitors at the time but wasn't really all that honour bound or attentive to his subjects (in particular his family) like the fictional Liu Bei is.

The actual Three Kingdoms war is just as fascinating as the fictional ROTK, but once we get down to it its clear there is a lot of fabrication going down in the famous story about the central characters.

The best at being early achievers maybe.

Gotta have some heroic figure in the story, otherwise it is just a really depressing story with no one to root for in those dark times.

Not that others don't get heroic moments as well. Typically people close to Cao Cao or Liu Bei, for sure, but you also get side characters with a some rare heroic moments in face of certain doom.

Ah the fuckry that are Blue Decks in MTG.

Makes sense I suppose for Wu.

I wonder if we wont get either new series in viz jump (after week 3).
CELV9CmVEAE8XO4.png:large

I'm expecting the YOKO series to be the success here since I don't think a gag series like Devily Man (if it remains the same as in the one shot) being a hit in English Jump.

I honestly think this might be the first round where nothing gets picked up, but if Straighten Up is good ... we will see.

The title is a mouthful however, Jesus Christ. I know that it is the same length in Japanese, but yikes at LN long title.

Arabesque

I seem to remember a lot of special Magic sets being made for specific regions and events at the high point of its popularity, but I hadn't played the game for years now.

Seraph of the End 33
Wow really emotional chapter. The backstory scene will be sad to see animated cause the way Yu just breaks down and needs Guren there to go to sleep. Additionally how they seem similar.

Wonder why I didnt even expect him to go Seraph of the End mode due to a member of his family being captured. Will Crowley be strong enough, i dont think so.

The best at being early achievers maybe.

Wu just had chronic die early just when it was getting good syndrome.

And they lasted the longest before Jin wins.

Sure, it was cause no one cares about Late Wu.

Was it made to capture the Asian market? So weird.

Well ROTK is pretty popular in Asia, you don't see many other games getting the lets localize this into Chinese with every new entry!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait, only two Jump Start series? What's up with the third one?

*reads that How To Start a Manga... manga*
... That was weird. It also hurts me to see "Zolo" leak into other comics. Fuck you Viz.

Arabesque

Wu just had chronic die early just when it was getting good syndrome.

And they lasted the longest before Jin wins.

Sure, it was cause no one cares about Late Wu.

The late Wu Kingdom was in such a sorry shape getting conquered was an improvement. It doesn't hold a candle to what the kingdom could've been.

Which is what the Wu in the Three Kingdom ended up being, early achievers. Sure, it looked like they would've gone places higher than they started ... but they never did.

Wait, only two Jump Start series? What's up with the third one?

I suppose after the reception E-Robot had, they decided to go "why bother" with Lady Justice.

Not that I blame them, given how the one shot turned out like.

Lain

If 10$ was the low end of the prices I had to pay for manga, I'd change hobby, though maybe after paying what I paid for the Obata Artbook, probably I shouldn't talk.

The more episodes of Blood Blockade Battlefront I watch, the more excited I am for the first 6 volumes of the manga I ordered. On the other hand, Seraph of the End is killing my hype for the debut of he manga over here in the coming months. It's a bit too slow and the budget doesn't seem to be there. I hope the manga will have better pacing or something.

Rhapsody

Banned
Is the reputation of Japanese manga/anime industry has been so damaged to the general public that we actually have someone vehemently claim that this art:

http://i.cubeupload.com/VmRMlj.png

Is a work that is sexually motivated or suggest naughty sexual lewd intentions by the author?

Good God

It's why I avoid entering a discussion on some parts of GAF. I get more out of chatting with people in certain threads like mangaGAF or on twitter.

Nothing's going to change GAF's minds about stuff like that.

The more episodes of Blood Blockade Battlefront I watch, the more excited I am for the first 6 volumes of the manga I ordered. On the other hand, Seraph of the End is killing my hype for the debut of he manga over here in the coming months. It's a bit too slow and the budget doesn't seem to be there. I hope the manga will have better pacing or something.

I definitely been enjoying B^3 from the anime and manga.

Both just feels different but great in their own way.

lol at Seraph of the End

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yuureitou 60-66
Holy Shit, holy shit, everything went fucking down, Amane outsmarting and killing Shibanmushi in cold blood and thus gaining the treasure, Tetsuo claiming to have lost her virginity to pedo-incest inspector guy. Amane declaring straight up war on hetro-normative society and starting a fight for LGBT rights. Tetsuo is Pedo-inspectors daughter.

That swag

Check out that Kingly stare.

Zweizer

Banned
It's a big enough to be a trope to make fun of. In Otome Historic manga, the "History Study Group" is really just a bunch of girls writing historical BL fanfic

Huh. You learn something new every day.

I mean generally pretty boys (especially in current games) with little or few girls (depending on the series).

Add in action, drama, etc

That's something prime for pairings

Seen under this angle, it does make sense. I mainly underestimated their popularity lol

bobohoro

That's the source of my confusion! I thought it was a jest!

Now my mind is blown.

How could you even arrive at that conclusion? Prison School is the most realistic depiction of anything real life.

And I like the ROTK posts, I never get around to tackling that material myself but am always interested in knowledgable people discussing that stuff, be it fiction or actual history.

Is slapping a ROTK skin on something really enough to sell stuff? I didn't expect it to be that popular.

Well there's this card game called Bang! that's a pretty good cardgame. I presume it sells pretty well all across the world.

Someone in China copy+pasted the mechanics onto an ROTK skin and called it Sanguosha, and it made like TENS OF MILLIONS of dollars. Easily the most popular card game by a tremendous margin in China for a few years. So yeah, sometimes what you need to sell something is a pointless ROTK skin.

Gangsta. Vol.04

Fy6y4Npl.jpg

Before we talk about how quickly things escalated in this volume, let's talk about Marco, the sharp dressed guy in the cover. He's normal, no special powers, yet managed to go toe to toe with hunters in this volume. His weapon, regular kicking and wire that come out of his watch. Super cool.

But back to things escalating. Alex's brother suddenly being talked about, of course, that's how it would turn out. I'm still surprised there hasn't been any important character deaths yet in this series where everyone minor seems liable to suddenly get killed in a fight here, so waiting for this series to prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom