• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Today's haul:

2015-05-05%2020.54.50.jpg

I also met MikeHatsu and his imouto

Very nice pick up.

Oh nice, I'll be meeting with him (and I guess his imouto) and other gaffers in a week or so, looking forward to it.

dani_dc

There'll be JapanGAF meet up?

Yeah, sort of anyway, might be a travelersJapanGAF meet up.
This was posted on both Japan Travel and "I live in Japan" threads:

Tokyo Meetup, May 12th

So, we're having a Tokyo meetup on May 12th, mostly tourists, but anybody living in Japan are welcome to join us too if they want.

Details

1. We meet up a little before 17:30 and get all you can eat shabu-shabu at Mo Mo Paradise (unless it's fully booked, then we find another place).

Map:
    https://goo.gl/maps/T1mDx

2. We go to Robot Restaurant at 19:00 and check out the show at 19:10.

You need to book tickets to the show yourself.
    Here's the Japanican booking link for the correct time, remember to choose May 12th:
    http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/DIN1G1950A/

3. After the show ends at about 21:30 we either go check out an arcade or do karaoke. Depends on how many people wants to join either activity.

People who's shown interest in joining so far:
Axispowers
dani_dc
MikeHattsu (+1)
scogoth
TatteredHat
Zyzyxxz (+1)

Yuureitou 60-66
Holy Shit, holy shit, everything went fucking down, Amane outsmarting and killing Shibanmushi in cold blood and thus gaining the treasure, Tetsuo claiming to have lost her virginity to pedo-incest inspector guy. Amane declaring straight up war on hetro-normative society and starting a fight for LGBT rights. Tetsuo is Pedo-inspectors daughter.

That swag

Check out that Kingly stare.

This art looks really great and it sounds interesting, the killing and outsmarting part that is.
Gonna check this out.

So, when can we except Jump Mangas to drop by?

nobody knows :/

Thursday is a safe bet but the spoilers came out for Toriko,Naruto,and OP on the weekend and Bleach spoilers went online today..... No RAWS yet but the spoilers usually don't come out until the day before the translated release

maybe Wednesday if we're lucky

dani_dc

You should asked Jintor to come along!

He can still join if he wants to, but I was under the impression he was a bit too far from Tokyo to come specifically for this gather, particularly because it's during a a week day.

So, when can we except Jump Mangas to drop by?

I'm guessing at the "regular scheduale", as Shengar said, maybe tomorrow if we're lucky.

New Mix soon.

Make sure to read it and catch up if you haven't before!

Feels like it's been too long since the last one, isn't it a monthly?

Nightbird

nobody knows :/

Thursday is a safe bet but the spoilers came out for Toriko,Naruto,and OP on the weekend and Bleach spoilers went online today..... No RAWS yet but the spoilers usually don't come out until the day before the translated release

maybe Wednesday if we're lucky

I'm guessing at the "regular scheduale", as Shengar said, maybe tomorrow if we're lucky.

Okay then. it was just weird that we had Spoilers since the Weekend, and even the TOC already, but still no Raws

Yu Yu Hakusho 1-30

Realized i'd never read the manga. Decided to fix that.

Now wondering how in blazes this thing didn't get cancelled during the first 20 weeks.

Mandelbo

I have a very pressing question which is irritating me to no end: why does it seem like half of Asano Inio's works don't get an English release but yet get translations in other European languages? For example...

All of Goodnight Punpun has been released in French, German and Italian, but not English.
His(?) artbook has been localised in Italian, but not English.
A Girl on the Shore is out in Italian, but again not English.

Is this just a licensing issue or something? Solanin's been released in the UK, as has It's a Wonderful World, but the lack of Punpun is something that distresses me greatly as I really would like the full collection in English... maybe it'll be released over here later...?

Lain

I have a very pressing question which is irritating me to no end: why does it seem like half of Asano Inio's works don't get an English release but yet get translations in other European languages? For example...

All of Goodnight Punpun has been released in French, German and Italian, but not English.

Is this just a licensing issue or something? Solanin's been released in the UK, as has It's a Wonderful World, but the lack of Punpun is something that distresses me greatly as I really would like the full collection in English... maybe it'll be released over here later...?

Because his works don't sell as well in English speaking countries as they do in non English speaking countries is my guess. License cost plays a role too for sure, because if a license is expensive and the publisher believes sales won't be enough to justify licensing an Asano work instead of something else then the Asano work will take a back seat.
Also publishers seem to hate working on long series that are ongoing for a while or that are old.
Btw A Girl by the Sea has been licensed now by... Vertical? so there's that.

Mandelbo

Because his works don't sell as well in English speaking countries as they do in non English speaking countries is my guess. License cost plays a role too for sure, because if a license is expensive and the publisher believes sales won't be enough to justify licensing an Asano work instead of something else then the Asano work will take a back seat.
Also publishers seem to hate working on long series that are ongoing for a while or that are old.
Btw A Girl by the Sea has been licensed now by... Vertical? so there's that.

Yeah, it makes sense if the sales won't justify the costs... but it's still frustrating!
At least I've got Solanin on the way!

G.ZZZ

Toriko 322 spoilers

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is so fucking epic, that
acacia
shot
happytears.gif

bobohoro

It's something that saddens me as well, since I'd love to have a full English collection (+both tomes of French Solanin I bought mistakenly and never returned because of the beautiful cover) but will probably settle with Gute Nacht, Punpun in the end. Haven't seen or heard any news on an English release yet and don't have high hopes for it. :/

And I don't think it is that big of a licensing/cost issue and more market conditions making Punpun less attractive for publishers. Smaller, more dedicated markets have higher potential for the weird stuff, for the big english sector it makes more sense to prioritise popular, easy to sell material and there's lots of that before someone will think of poor Punpun.

And:

Keijo!!!!!! 1

This seems to be my kind of manga.

And no, I'm totally not running away from reading further into Punpun. Well maybe a little bit. Will start it back up tomorrow I think.

Early YYH is glacial

Understatement.

Seems that at some point after the little granny tournament, his editor bust his balls over pacing and made him write faster chapters.

On chapter 50 now. Saddest bit about this whole ordeal is reading it along with HxH, which i hadnt read in years, and realizing just how vastly superior the art in YYH is.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket: Extra Game 3

The US team was shocked about the play in the 1st quarter by the GoM. 2nd quarter however we see one of the main antagonists (Jason Silver) show why he is special. Last chapter they said he is faster than Aomine, more powerful than Murasakibara and more jumping power of Kagami. He showcases all three while owning the first 2 mentioned. Now we wait for the counter attack with Kuroko and Kagami joining Aomine, Kise and Murasakibara on the court.

Resentment 1

7538642357z9uzp.jpg

Horror manhua about a loving couple who're being haunted by a very unloving ghost, with presumably murderous consequences. Has the feel of a good 'n' uncomplicated horror movie, with decent art and a side order of fanservice. Curious to see how it develops.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yu Yu Hakusho 1-30

Realized i'd never read the manga. Decided to fix that.

Now wondering how in blazes this thing didn't get cancelled during the first 20 weeks.

Beginning arc is definitely strange. The anime made the right choice only making it 5 episodes.

Maybe not as interesting as how Yugioh did the story before it went all Duel Monsters, but I did get some enjoyment out of the beginning of YYH still.

Subtle Disaster

For those who live in apartments, there is nothing worse than having noisy neighbors that dont let you have a peaceful day.

This webtoon takes this concept and turns up the volume to the max. Crazy neighbors and so much ANGER. Pretty entertaining read with some neat art.

bigkrev

Isn't that the LTTP series that was published in Nintendo Power, so wouldn't it have been left to right to begin with?

Yes, but it was originally published in Japan (there are translator credits, a note that mentions it was originally published by Shogakukan, ect). It was flipped for the original run in Nintendo Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom