• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Why America hates long series?!

Just chanced over this Seven Seas answer:
Q: Is there any chance that you could obtain the rights to localize Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple?

A: Not a chance, sorry. It’s from Shogakukan (only VIZ would have access to it) and the series ended at 61 volumes, which is incredibly long. –CC

Shogakukan aside, the fact that a long series is already penalized for being long is always a depressing thought.

Shogakukan aside, the fact that a long series is already penalized for being long is always a depressing thought.

Barrier to entry is scary. Knowing that something is that long is an easy way to dissuade people from casually picking it up because of how much they would have to invest in it.

generally I believe the main reason is that physical bookstores (yes, we still have those) hate having to stock a long series that's why a lot of publishers are shying away from it or releasing stuff in omnibooks

Nordicus

Yesterday wo Utatte 88

Yes, new girl, or old girl that I may have forgotten because this series has gone on 80+ chapters!
Please make Rikuo's girlfriend jealous, or break them up, please! The guy deserves better than what he's getting!

zRR2WFw.jpg

dani_dc

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is not Crash!

Josuke was a good lead, much better than Jotaro, he had an actual personality for once, and his battles usually involved tactics behind "(D)ORAORAORAORA"

On the other hand, Araki self-insert (he can deny it as much as he wants, no one believes him), Rohan was nearly as much of a lead character as Josuke, and I have to say that I quite enjoy his stories.

Some of the side characters felt underused, Yukako for example had two arcs (one as a villain and one as a main character) and was basically not seen during the rest of the story.

In that line, I would say my biggest disappointment was the lack of Joseph, of course he's rather old so we can't go around jumping across buildings, he's not 65 anymore after all, but I really wanted to see more of his relationship with Josuke, such as the arc with the invisible baby. I felt cheated when by the end of the story Josuke was calling Joseph as "Pops", it was as if I missed an entire section of the story.

Okuyasu was somewhat underused as well, but I attribute that to his Stand (The Hand) being ridiculously overpowered if used in any decent fashion, I mean he could erase space and any physical objects in between, how overpowered can you get?

Jotaro was well used, somewhat disappointed that his time stopping abilities seem to have stopped at 1-2 seconds, but the Araki knew not to overuse him too often and to keep him out of the picture for the most part, liked him more as a side character than as a lead.

Koichi got his fair share of focus, but I can't say his character ever engaged me, and his stand got uninteresting when it got to Echoes 3, which basically only had 1 power which you could even reproduce with Echoes 2.

Kira was a good villain, a nice change from the bigger villains, wanting just a peaceful life made him a very related character actually, you know, outside of the whole murdering women's thing. I really liked how we got several chapters focusing on him (as opposed to parts 1-3), for a character that wanted a "peaceful life" I think it was important to let the reader actually see the efforts that he went through to try and achieve that, it made the character all that more interesting.

The small touches of OCD in his personality were also neat to see, I always appreciate when a character has those... Well outside of Soul Eater where it goes to an extreme to the point of being offensive, but that's another discussion altogether.
Plus being themed after Queen is always a positive point.
His upgrade to being able to rewind time felt like an asspull, but it was an asspull that lead to an interesting last arc so I can't really say I see it as a negative.

The "stand of the week" format worked better than in Part 3, mostly due to the fact that, for the most part, every villain added something to the story, be it to the overall arc or to character development.

Additionally the battles were a lot more imaginative, we even had chapters without any real battles (Such as the Italian restaurant and Invisible baby).

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, I could get into more details but then I wouldn't get out of here anytime soon.

Invisible babies, Ghosts, Aliens, what is there not to love about Part 4?

There. Is that better?

You change usernames so quickly, which admin do you have dirt off?

From what I hear Part 5 is the second most popular part after Stardust Crusaders in Japan.
Dat fujoshi market power.

In one hand I understand that Part 5 is popular due to "pretty boys" and female market.
On another hand I find the characters completely horrendous and I don't understand how anyone could find any character outside of Giorno Giovanna as attractive.

You'd think a part with DIO son would be interesting, but no, Giorno manages to be less interesting than Jonathan or Jotaro.

I admit i thought narancia was a girl the first time i saw him...

I still can't wrap my way around Narancia being a male, I honestly thought it was a mistranslation when I first notice someone referring to Narancia as "he's" or "him", even now I still feel like using "she" to refer to her.

Part 5 is the most feminine/fabulous part. Yes, even moreso then Part 6 where most of the cast is women. I thought Narancia was a girl for half of Part 5,

But on average it also has the best fights. Probably not as awesome as DIO vs Jotaro or Highway Star in Part 4 taken by themselves but White Album and Green Day/Oasis are pretty awesome. The fights in Part 6 get pretty messy, but mostly do to the fact that the Stand abilities are really, really hard to convey properly.
But Dragon's Dream just sucks.

The thing about fights is that even if they look awesome, if I don't care about any of the characters or plot chances are I won't be emotionally involved in them, at least in manga.
In animated format I might care more about seeing the fights.

Conan-san

World Trigger

Christ, they should have just called this series "Training; the comic book" and called it a day. We're never going to see one whiff of the other worlds, are we?

Zweizer

Banned
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is not Crash!

-snip-

Glad that you thoroughly enjoyed Part 4. The cast was indeed one of the strongest of the series, and Kira Yoshikage is a fascinating and entertaining villain, though I personally did find the pacing to be a little odd at times (probably due to the slice of life-ish atmosphere). Pearl Jam is one of my favorite stands~

As for Part 5. Well, how far are you in?

Arabesque

We're never going to see one whiff of the other worlds, are we?

We had been getting more and more information about the Neighbour worlds this year than we did previously. I mean last chapter had an entire revelation about the nature of their worlds and why they needed to invade Earth in the first place.

I mean, the stated goal is to reach beyond the gate to save the people kidnapped and figure out a way to stop them being spirited away, so taking the time to set up for the eventual trip is understandable.

Personally, I like that we are taking the time to get to see more of the different characters and having to see the main cast succeed in their battles.

World Trigger

Christ, they should have just called this series "Training; the comic book" and called it a day. We're never going to see one whiff of the other worlds, are we?

Weve seen the four other lands, weve had the action moment with Kuga and the his father on their other world and that mysterious hyper powered Neighbor. I think its clearly suggesting that after this arc we may finally go on an away mission.

If they make it over too fast what will Mikumo do, he already barely survived against Mira and Hyrein.

Zweizer

Banned
Seeking for Death ch16 (End)

Well, that was fucking dumb. The protagonist was worthless and the only saving grace, the yandere girl, got shelved for half of the series because plot, which was stupidly convulted and nonsensical by the way. Still, the epilogue was at least somewhat half decent.

Only character worth saving.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Corruption finale 3.5 (NSFW)
Well, that turn dark...
seeing the main protagonist succumb to her dark side sure is interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

fucking fuck seo, this plot again?

Triangle Tits plan still dumb as dogshit

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal 55 (END)

Pretty lovely ending for one of the best YGO series. Every duel in this manga was a blast to read with many surprising twists and turns. Though we still had the down to 1 life point thing going on at times, the use of counterspells traps and more always kept me surprised at times. I love how the writer makes characters come out of these depressing situations. Era's duel was probably my favorite one due to how large scale it was.

Ill miss Yuma's jetting :(

World Trigger

Considering how the MC barely even survived during the Invasion arc, dumping them into other worlds too quickly could just easily lead to too many asspulls in terms of how he could survive or contribute. On top of that, it's not as if the training is just the main characters by themselves, but also expanding the cast. I'm enjoying it pretty far, although the lack of tension is probably the biggest downside.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is that a fencing manga? Interesting...

She apparently gets her fencing attire from the same place Erina gets her chef's attire. I'm pretty sure neither of these occupations are performed in form-fitting catsuits, though.

Arabesque

I'm enjoying it pretty far, although the lack of tension is probably the biggest downside.

Yeah, I think that had been the flaw of the B-Rank Wars arc thus far. Without an immediate threat, it isn't as exciting as it was during the Invasion where the stakes were much higher than they are here. We got to see Enedora again, and this chapter we are reminded of why they need to win every match they can, but without something more urgent, it isn't as serious as it was.

On the flip side, seeing more of the cast getting introduced and learning more about the agents makes up for that. The manga now feels closer to being a sport series more than anything, and I'm enjoying it going through this phase since afterwards, it will probably be a long time in the Neighbour worlds.

Plus, one of the teams they are meeting up with might end up traveling with them, so getting to know them now would be for the best.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch37

I have no idea whether these physiological differences are true or not, but it's always fun to see more of these butt-related technical stuff.

LKhZxW0.png

Hang in there, Miyata~

Conan-san

We had been getting more and more information about the Neighbour worlds this year than we did previously. I mean last chapter had an entire revelation about the nature of their worlds and why they needed to invade Earth in the first place.

I mean, the stated goal is to reach beyond the gate to save the people kidnapped and figure out a way to stop them being spirited away, so taking the time to set up for the eventual trip is understandable.

Personally, I like that we are taking the time to get to see more of the different characters and having to see the main cast succeed in their battles.
But this is BORING. You know that bit in "Trapped in the closet" where it's looping on 'and he goes to the cabinet!' for about five times? That's this. On loop.

I swear, entire academic years will end in Souma and Hero Academia before we see anything outside a Danger Room in World Trigger.

Zweizer

Banned
Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan ch10

Yeah, I'd imagine that's what'd happen when you have such an overprotective (and scary) brother floating around.

NEO0MJ

Just finished reading the first four volumes of Pluto the past few days.

17105137517_66ca7138a0_c.jpg

Very interesting. I'm liking it more than expected. Those Astro Boy references are so blatant, though. Gotta admit that I was surprised when
Atom was killed so unceremonially, especially after hyping him as the ultimate robot a few chapters before.

Gonna give a more in depth review after I order the other volumes and reread it all.

Edit: One of the things I'm most interested in is this guy. I feel like it's an overdone trope but I can't help but be curious about him.

Zweizer

Banned
Duel! ch1 by Aoi Akira

Our protagonist is a girl whose motto is to always smile, but since she's pretty weak-willed she ends up being perpetually bullied by her peers, until one day she crosses the path of a beautiful fencer.

Not a bad first chapter, though most of the setup is pretty typical for a sports series. The art is nice enough, and the relationship between the two girls could be interesting. Too bad there doesn't seem to be enough interest for a translation of the following chapters.

Dresden

Duel! ch1 by Aoi Akira

Our protagonist is a girl whose motto is to always smile, but since she's pretty weak-willed she ends up being perpetually bullied by her peers, until one day she crosses the path of a beautiful fencer.

Not a bad first chapter, though most of the setup is pretty typical for a sports series. The art is nice enough, and the relationship between the two girls could be interesting. Too bad there doesn't seem to be enough interest for a translation of the following chapters.

Tamako had a hard life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom