• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece:
Doflamingo is a boss. This is mostly confirming stuff which has been speculated about for years, but he's still looking fabulous while doing so, and this cements his status as one of the biggest power players in the world of One Piece. He's pretty much completely outsmarted everyone.

Detective Conan:
New case is centered around Sonoko, so it's guaranteed to be awesome. Makoto has been really cool in these last few chapters, and I'm hoping that he'll be able to get the better of Kid somehow.

Hajime no Ippo:
Ippo's new opponent seems like a pretty nice guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how this fight is going to turn out. It will be nice to have Ippo as the challenger again and really having to work hard to beat a high skilled opponent.

Naruto:
Who gives a shit?

Kurita

AKB49 23

FPND5x3.png

nd5lEUo.png

I can't hold all these feel goddamn

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Naruto

This needs to end.

You think this is bad? Try being an anime-only watcher, Madara still hasn't even been summoned. They've been padding the war out with EVERY off-panel battle there could have ever conceivably been, and then yet more.

Though to be fair, some of it is kind of interesting. As they bring people back from the dead to fight, they go into their backgrounds more, and insert non-manga material. Like they made some backstory where Shino was wanted by Danzo for Root, but Torune, who was being raised by Shino's father in an adoptive sense, inserted himself instead. And another one where the pre-Bee 8-tails Jinchuriki was actually poisoned by Orochimaru, who then released the seal, explaining why the 8-tails escaped and didn't really remember much of his rampage. And then Orochimaru stole the horn that Ay cut off, and Kabuto used it to insert 8-tails chakra into an Edo-tensei'd version of the previous Jinchuriki.

STUFF!!! But what I wonder is how much of that stuff Kishimoto actually has to approve. Like modern-day filler episodes whatever, but this backstory stuff? Inserting Orochimaru as the catalyst for that 8-tails rampage is kind of a big thing. Does he even know they're writing content like that before it airs? How much does he have to give his graces to ahead of time? Do you think he actually came UP with any of it? HMMM!!!

PK Gaming

While point A is just speculation, point B I think has some merit. Kakashi puts his fingers up as a challenge, effectively "come face me now in single combat." Obito stands for a second, then returns the signal, agreeing to the challenge. It may not be an explicit "I'll beat you cause of our kid shit," but it was at least "I accept your challenge to fight you like this." And it's not like Obito has fought other fights with nuclear blasts as his first attack, he's done plenty of drawn out stuff. He wasn't handicapping himself here, he was just gonna fight Kakashi, and he did. Is the core issue that people have just that he didn't try to fire off a shinra tensei or gigantic wood dragon as his first attack?

Because it's not like Obito got hugely overwhelmed here or anything like that. They fought for like 10 seconds. Obito shot a fireball. They clashed weapons. Obito got kicked. They stabbed through each other. There was no "weak" Obito here, it was just a quick skirmish where the shared stabs ended up more damaging on one end than the other. It was a quick fight, but it maybe it ended sooner than people wanted. You can have all of the huge amazing techniques in the world, but if you hastily find yourself in a shared chest-stab early on, they don't count for much. Not all fights require the participants to go down their jutsu checklists and mark them off in order. Maybe if Obito felt like he was being overwhelmed he would have moved on to larger attacks, but things just moved too fast to even get to that.

[Edit] Also, Obito ended the fight with "you can have this victory, but I won't let you win the war." That sounds more in keeping with his character, with his actual priorities. Maybe he could've kept fighting, maybe he could've used more chakra to heal that hole, since he has a Zetsu body. Maybe he woulda bust out all his crazy shit then. But he said "you can have it." And he left. Because he had more important shit to do. And then Madara fucked him up.

Ok fair enough.

Your explanation does make me feel a little better, I guess I was blinded by my bias towards Obito (second favorite character). I'm still miffed that he lost, but I can live with it. I'm hoping he doesn't completely get screwed over by that hack called madara though.

akame ga kiru - 38 (raw)

massive spoiler - http://i.imgur.com/8Ow7NrN.jpg

RIP in pieces, Justice

tumblr_lwcoc8Brp51qly06uo1_500.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
People complaining about Obito...

Think about how many times Obito would have died already if it wasn't for his kamui. He's not that great a fighter.

Since Kakashi can follow Obito in and out of the real and kamui worlds, the kamui is useless. Besides, Obito's abilities were always inconsistent.

Also, Kishi always does this thing where he powers down the antagonists. See: Sasuke vs Orochimaru, Sasuke vs. Itachi, Naruto vs Nagato.

I mean, each Pain Naruto fought had 1/6th of Nagato's chakra. In addition, Nagato had been battling everyone in the leaf village and levelled the entire village prior to Naruto's arrival... so he must have used up significant levels of chakra. Even then, he divided his chakra into sixths. Yes, Naruto himself had split his chakra into 3rds, but while in Sage mode, his own chakra reservoir doesn't really matter, since he's able to freely manipulate the chakra of nature instead.

So you have nagato handicapping himself arbitrarily and draining his stamina by fighting the whole damn leaf village, versus naruto, who has given himself a power boost.

This is how Kishi works. Power levels are BS to him :p

Daingurse

I really love how much Doflamingo has been hyped up ever since Punk Hazard by Oda. This dude was always OG, the hints were always there. I mean really, look at this glorious motherfucker!

Manga_Doflamingo_Infobox.png

Wiseblade

You think this is bad? Try being an anime-only watcher, Madara still hasn't even been summoned. They've been padding the war out with EVERY off-panel battle there could have ever conceivably been, and then yet more.

Though to be fair, some of it is kind of interesting. As they bring people back from the dead to fight, they go into their backgrounds more, and insert non-manga material. Like they made some backstory where Shino was wanted by Danzo for Root, but Torune, who was being raised by Shino's father in an adoptive sense, inserted himself instead. And another one where the pre-Bee 8-tails Jinchuriki was actually poisoned by Orochimaru, who then released the seal, explaining why the 8-tails escaped and didn't really remember much of his rampage. And then Orochimaru stole the horn that Ay cut off, and Kabuto used it to insert 8-tails chakra into an Edo-tensei'd version of the previous Jinchuriki.

STUFF!!! But what I wonder is how much of that stuff Kishimoto actually has to approve. Like modern-day filler episodes whatever, but this backstory stuff? Inserting Orochimaru as the catalyst for that 8-tails rampage is kind of a big thing. Does he even know they're writing content like that before it airs? How much does he have to give his graces to ahead of time? Do you think he actually came UP with any of it? HMMM!!!
If Kishimoto was actually putting legitimate effort into anime filler and carting out this garbage for the original work... That'd be totally ridiculous.

Kurita

Tensai Family Company vol.1
4yJYH29.jpg

Katsuyuki, a gifted, petty and egocentric high schooler, intends to work in the high financial world. His well regulated life explodes when his mother remarries his worst nightmare: a traveller writer, unproductive, nice and completely unpredictable... and father of a son who looks like him. All his opposite... Consequently begins the subtle contamination of his entourage by their terrible joie de vivre. Even Nagasawa, "the female brain of the high school", the only one for which he had respect for ... Decided to find anew his peace, Katsuyuki feverishly seeks a way for returning these aliens on their planet. And he's not sparing with spite!

Soooo good. Seriously, the first volume is like 350 pages long but I couldn't put it down.
As expected from a Tomoko Ninomiya manga it's really funny and absurd but still grounded in reality. Great interaction and chemistry between the characters and hilarious situations.
The premise might sound quite basic, yet it manages to be unique thanks to the good cast of characters.
The art is pretty bad, but when the writing is this good it really doesn't matter.

And now I have to find the other volumes, it'll be hard...

Shouta

Naruto

What the hell is the point of pulling the "it was only an illusion!" trick if you're only going to do the exact same thing at the end of the chapter anyway, Kishi? The final pages are made irrelevant by the foolishness that precedes them.

I thought it was a bit of a throw back to the usual Uchiha MO. They try to trap their opponents in Genjutsu when possible to avoid combat and fight when they need to. Kakashi realized this and executed a genjutsu to clash with it and it resolved after they both got stabbed.

Veelk

Banned
Can someone explain to me what the big deal about what Doflamingo did was?

Despite Law working for him in the past, he somehow never figured out that he has higher connections, but why would 'lying to the entire world' require being on the level of the Celestial Dragons?

Imagine if Doflamingo wasn't a noble or whatever and instead just a regular shichibukai. "Hey, listen guys, you know those 11 supernovas that have been fucking with you for the last few years? I am going to take two of them out. I just need you to run a false story of me quitting the shichibukai for a day." I don't see why the WG would say not to that. The printing error could be blamed on the news organization and the WG would be rid of two of it's worst problems.

I guess I just don't see why Doflamingo lying just never occurred to Law.

Wiseblade

Yeah, work is a good excuse. But hopefully I'll soon have some "look at the giant stack of volumes I bought!" pictures in the future! Who knows, they might even be taken with something better than a 3DS camera!

Khezu

Naruto

Um... wut?

IF he can't use his cheap nonsense in the box dimension, why even fight there? He is handicapping himself for no reason.

He also has the rinnegan, and mokuton. The hell.

Also Minatos eyes keep changing, when he first went into KCM, his eyes turned normal, then next chapter they were black like a edo, now they are normal again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can someone explain to me what the big deal about what Doflamingo did was?

Despite Law working for him in the past, he somehow never figured out that he has higher connections, but why would 'lying to the entire world' require being on the level of the Celestial Dragons?

Imagine if Doflamingo wasn't a noble or whatever and instead just a regular shichibukai. "Hey, listen guys, you know those 11 supernovas that have been fucking with you for the last few years? I am going to take two of them out. I just need you to run a false story of me quitting the shichibukai for a day." I don't see why the WG would say not to that. The printing error could be blamed on the news organization and the WG would be rid of two of it's worst problems.

I guess I just don't see why Doflamingo lying just never occurred to Law.

They aren't just going to go along with a plan just because he brought it to them, he's still a pirate above all else. Plus he's in charge of an entire country from the looks of it. No matter how bad they want Luffy they won't double cross another warlord and destabilize another country causing a huge panic in the world. Fuck with the entire world order just to get Luffy? It just wouldn't pay off.

Just a huge day for manga today. With the return of manga superstars Toriyama and Amano. A new Jump. And there were some backgrounds in Bleahc this week. Your move Morishima.

El Sloth

Banned
Water Polo Smut: 15-16

I predict a smutty training arc with new girl. I'm getting tired of the rest of the team. Dead weight, the lot of them. Here's also hoping they find new dudes for the team.

Veelk

Banned
They aren't just going to go along with a plan just because he brought it to them, he's still a pirate above all else. Plus he's in charge of an entire country from the looks of it. No matter how bad they want Luffy they won't double cross another warlord and destabilize another country causing a huge panic in the world. Fuck with the entire world order just to get Luffy? It just wouldn't pay off.

But this is literally what they pay him for as a Shichibukai. And Luffy isn't just any pirate, since he's not only Dragons son but also has King's Haki. They made such a big deal about what a huge danger he was in the Marineford arc. They'd be beyond stupid to pay Doflamingo to hunt down pirates and when he bring one of their biggest to their doorstep, and then refuse him because "Fuck you man, you're trash". And a single day's confusion is going to 'destabilize' an entire country? The world was confused for a day about what was going on, then everything went back to normal. We know this because that's exactly what happened in the manga. People went 'Huh? What?' for a few hours then they called it a printing error, and everything went back to normal. The WG would be ridiculous to refuse for those reasons.

You do bring up a good possibility about him being a Shichibukai, but I don't think it pans out either. Remember, Law wasn't shocked that the WG was willing to doublecross him, just that they were willing to lie to the world, so I don't think they'd be unwilling to backstab him. They were willing to screw Moria, Crocodile, Jinbei when they no longer was useful. So it's definitely the lie itself, not who they're backstabbing, that they are unwilling to do unless for extremely powerful people like the Celestial dragons. That's the part that confuses me. Why wouldn't they? They have no problem destroying an entire islands without so much as an investigation, even if it's their own (Enies Lobby), killing hundreds of innocent lives. Why would they be shy about fibbing, especially when it's about something ultimately so minor, despite the large scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom