• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi 87

I think I'm going to stop starting romcom manga where the mangaka's storyboard consists of "Make shit up every week until I get cancelled." I already have KnIM for that.

Unless it has Food-orgasms.

AV Gokko 1
tumblr_msb3bq1c7D1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Kurata has the best faces all the time, and even better caught on camera too (nsfw?). He had good feelings and getting Tsukijo to finally express his true emotions was worth it. Only unfortunate thing was it just ends. Hopefully 2 is a continuation of sorts.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Shit now I'm scared to read Aunt Tits... she fucked it up and they didn't do it right? :(

Nope, they did it. She's just about to friend-zone him at the end of their month of pretending to be dating is all.

hajime no ippo -

So I'm probably way old on this, but (raw spoilers)
Itagaki got knocked the fuck out? Yesssssssssssssssss

spoiler mentioned above > http://i.imgur.com/S8tjsaS.jpg

I know, it's about damn time. Dude is getting absolutely rocked in this fight. Chapter after chapter of beat downs.

IHaveIce

Banned
Nope, they did it. She's just about to friend-zone him at the end of their month of pretending to be dating is all.

I know, it's about damn time. Dude is getting absolutely rocked in this fight. Chapter after chapter of beat downs.

Well I'm fine with this, now he finally should get it on with the cousin or the friend of the cousin.

And what is up with Yamada and the 7 witches.. on break?

...Obito is currently the Juubi jinchuriki.

LOL I have literally nothing invested in Naruto these days so I'm not surprised I forgot. At least I don't have to look at that terrible design ever again.

Besides Oda always tries to cram as much stories as possible within an arc that make it long, badly paced, just boring.

That's only been a problem in Fish-Man Island/Punk Hazard, and even then it's nowhere near boring or long; if anything, it's that the pacing can be too rushed/quick and there's not enough time to fully digest what's going on (I wanted to see more of Vergo and Monet).

I mean, no offense, but how you possibly criticize One Piece for its pacing yet be chill with Bleach even though it's often criticized (and rightly so) for having pacing the speed of molasses (not to mention the inane plot developments since the "0 Espada" bullshit)?

The way Oda treats female characters in one piece is disgusting. They are largely useless, and need male protection.

You sure you're not thinking of Naruto?

That was very evident last arc, when Tashigi was fighting Snow harpy, and needed Zorro to one shot the harpy.

Tashigi still defeated Monet in the end. Did you really expect her to solely defeat a Logia at her level? Take a closer look at the themes associated with the character since her introduction in Loguetown.

While is why Bleach is great. It gives time to side characters to shine instead focus on 4-5 characters.

You're acting like as if the likes of Chad and Orihime managed to accomplish anything in years.

Bleach has way too many characters for its own good.

Luffy was fighting alone in Impel Down and the war. The SH were not seen for over a year, so yeah, there was zero concentration about them. Hell, the SH reunion was so damn jarring. After 2 years off not seeing each other they react like nothing has happened, and they were the same people from before. That´s bad writing about characters and their development.

If they took the time to catch up on what they were up to within the past two years, that would've absolutely killed the pacing. It's not like they're going to ignore Robin's time with Dragon or w/e. It'll come when the story calls for it. Also, this was from a while ago, but Oda's stated that he wants characters to carry certain traits and weaknesses over the course of story. Even then, characters like Zoro and Chopper have clearly undergone changes that don't violate their development (unless you want to get into the case of sexism for the former, I guess).

The only recent examples of bad writing in One Piece are mainly introducing characters that only end up being plot devices (Vander Decken) or the occasional case of character inconsistencies (in Fisher Tiger's flashback, Arlong rails at Jimbei for nearly killing a human yet has no qualms doing the same thing in the next chapter), and as far as I remember that was just solely within the mess of that arc. Oda just needs to chill with the pacing. I don't blame the guy considering the awesome crap he keeps introducing, but I don't want arcs like Fish-Man Island end up being sloppily paced for the sake of getting us to the New World

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well I'm fine with this, now he finally should get it on with the cousin or the friend of the cousin.

And what is up with Yamada and the 7 witches.. on break?

The translators are slow and decided to work on old volumes of Yankee-kun and subtitling the live-action Yamada drama instead.

Angry Grimace

LOL I have literally nothing invested in Naruto these days so I'm not surprised I forgot. At least I don't have to look at that terrible design ever again.

That's only been a problem in Fish-Man Island/Punk Hazard, and even then it's nowhere near boring or long; if anything, it's that the pacing can be too rushed/quick and there's not enough time to fully digest what's going on (I wanted to see more of Vergo and Monet).

I mean, no offense, but how you possibly criticize One Piece for its pacing yet be chill with Bleach even though it's often criticized (and rightly so) for having pacing the speed of molasses (not to mention the inane plot developments since the "0 Espada" bullshit)?

Tashigi still defeated Monet in the end. Did you really expect her to solely defeat a Logia at her level? Take a closer look at the themes associated with the character since her introduction in Loguetown.

You're acting like as if the likes of Chad and Orihime managed to accomplish anything in years.

If they took the time to catch up on what they were up to within the past two years, that would've absolutely killed the pacing. It's not like they're going to ignore Robin's time with Dragon or w/e. It'll come when the story calls for it. Also, this was from a while ago, but Oda's stated that he wants characters to carry certain traits and weaknesses over the course of story. Even then, characters like Zoro and Chopper have clearly undergone changes that don't violate their development (unless you want to get into the case of sexism for the former, I guess).

The only recent examples of bad writing in One Piece are mainly introducing characters that only end up being plot devices (Vander Decken) or the occasional case of character inconsistencies (in Fisher Tiger's flashback, Arlong rails at Jimbei for nearly killing a human yet has no qualms doing the same thing in the next chapter), and as far as I remember that was just solely within the mess of that arc. Oda just needs to chill with the pacing. I don't blame the guy considering the awesome crap he keeps introducing, but I don't want arcs like Fish-Man Island end up being sloppily paced for the sake of getting us to the New World
The "all the chicks are useless" trope hardly stops with any popular manga.

Angry Grimace

Was sure the ones that are doing it are having issues with it so it wont be for awhile.

Nope, they just don't have a proofreader, apparently. Which makes no sense to me, but maybe I don't know the ins and outs of the system. It seems like you could just proofread it yourself.

Interesting.

I honestly have no idea which group is doing it LOL (don't tell me either because of the rules here)

I don't think any of the series being done by Soma's group are licensed.

R.I.P

Toriko

Cool set up chapter, shit is going down next week!

Beelzebub

Seems like this arc is finally over, though we might get to see Zenjurou fight next week. Hopefully after that it's back to the usual shenanigans and not a new battle arc.

Kaibutsu-kun 44

Whew, Yamaken is finally backing off, that plot point had started to drag on a bit. Looking forward to the final volume now, glad that the author decided to end this before the manga grew stale.

The only problem? How about shitty boring villains that presented no challenge for the SH. The Fishmen island arc was long and boring, and as always there was a sappy back story like every one that Luffy meets and helps. It´s the same old thing. Luffy hears a sappy story then gets more will power and destroy the enemy. It´s so unoriginal and boring, even in one piece since it happens almost in every arc. Did i mention that it had one of the most uninteresting villains i have ever read.

As far as punk hazard, the children story did not serve anything or do anything besides waste time, which Oda seems to be great at.

Rightly so? Bleach has a much faster pace than one piece. It took 600 chapters to explain basic thing as haki. The whole story pace move at a snail speed. It has been going on for 15 years with no end in sight. Oda keeps padding on the manga, that there is still so much to explain. The Devil Fruit which a corner stone in the manga have not been explained. All i keep hearing is wait for this and that. Yet after 15 years such a basic thing should have been explained already. Besides one piece feels disjointed, like Skypia has nothing to do with Thriller Bark or punk hazard, and Impel Down has nothing to do with Arlong, or Enis lobby arc etc....

As far as zero espada goes, Yammy´s deadly sin is rage and rage is unlimited. The espada are ranked based on riatsu. The more Yammy rages the more he has riatsu. It´s not bullshit, it´s pure logic.

No i am not thinking of Naruto at all. Nami and Robin are useless sticks with tits.

No she did not. Zorro did one shot her. Yeah i expect female characters to actually do something besides being helpless. And yeah Tashigi should have been able to defeat Monet without Zorro interfering.

Except of course the fullbring arc that happened a year half ago where Chad helped Ichigo train with his fullbring by giving him info about how to control it. Chad knows Ichigo so well that his info about Ichigo helped Ichigo with his training. Orihime healing Ichigo when he was training with Ginjou.

No it does not. Bleach is a character based manga, and the rich variety of characters and personalities is what makes Bleach interesting to plenty of people.

And no, one piece has a much larger cast of characters, and almost all of them are under utilized.

How about that Oda actually draws good character interaction for once. The meeting of the SH was such a bad writing that made the whole reunion meaningless. After not meeting each other for 2 years, it would be paramount to ask how everyone´s doing, and how Luffy did cope with his brother´s death etc.... Acting like they have not been separated is bad writing. Instead Oda wasted time on fake SH which served no purpose whatsoever besides what´s Oda famous for and that is adding useless padding to arcs.
No, a chapter where everyone talks about what they have been doing and what happened the 2 years separation would in no way kill the pacing. The pacing was already too slow, and good and somewhat realistic interaction between them would have done a huge service to the reunion. Instead the reunion was crap.

Keeping characters static for the whole manga is bad writing. Luffy should have showed that his brother´s death effected him yet, he still acts the same as ever. Same with the rest of the crew with their own circumstance, except Usoppe. Ceaser came out of no where. Artificial DF came out of no where. I mean seriously Oda needs to explain the DF ASAP, because it´s crap that after 700 chapters one of the most important part of the manga is still unexplained.

The pace should be faster, and the arcs should be concise and be about one or to things at most instead being about 5-6 things that make the arc long and boring.

I think we can discuss groups here but I'm not sure.
What a useless post.

I thought It was more in passing? don't remember

Nope, they just don't have a proofreader, apparently. Which makes no sense to me, but maybe I don't know the ins and outs of the system. It seems like you could just proofread it yourself.

I don't think any of the series being done by Soma's group are licensed.

that also might be the cause (along with not remembering) since I keep forgetting Soma isn't licensed (yet?) and its Jump

Murata sucks.
Maruta is better.

I see what you did there.

Gintamen

Except the power ups that the SH get, that BB gets to steal other DF even though it was established that one man per DF, and the fact that there are artificial DF, that was never foreshadowed or hinted at anywhere IIRC, Cesear was never foreshadowed etc....
Unlike one piece, Bleach´s foreshadowing is to build up and establish things that will happen in the story, unlike one piece that stuff happens just because.

Besides Oda always tries to cram as much stories as possible within an arc that make it long, badly paced, just boring.

The way Oda treats female characters in one piece is disgusting. They are largely useless, and need male protection. That was very evident last arc, when Tashigi was fighting Snow harpy, and needed Zorro to one shot the harpy.

Luffy was fighting alone in Impel Down and the war. The SH were not seen for over a year, so yeah, there was zero concentration about them. Hell, the SH reunion was so damn jarring. After 2 years off not seeing each other they react like nothing has happened, and they were the same people from before. That´s bad writing about characters and their development.
Just because you don't know all the foreshadowings doesn't mean they don't exist.

Bleach was never supposed to be that long, so he can hardly throw crumbs when he had no idea of it becoming so long. He had some fundations and built upon those[by god it took us like 500+ chapters to learn about the origin of both his parents, even though it seemly all circles around that very special origin], just like Oda will have done, but with a concept for the whole manga early on. Oda is a world builder that Kubo will never be capable of being though.

None of those are weak willed, Tashigi will just never be on Zoro's level, Vivi was a princess while part-timing as a jojo-fighter or w/e, Tsuru, Devon, even Alvida, Ms. Doublefinger, Robin, Shirahoshi with her new power, Monet did a good job on Luffy, Baby 5 was pretty strong, Big Mam, Boa and the Kuja's, lots of strong woman in this series. Don't close your eyes.

They've gone through hell in the 1/2-3/4 year they were sailing, they've bonded through their struggle and made a decision showing their determination to win over the seas. Weren't they happy to see each other? Should Oda have spent a chapter on that alone instead of slowing revealing their new quirks and secrets with time?

Acid08

Banned
I sort of understand why people are upset that there wasn't a shitload of fanfare when the Straw Hats got back together but at the same time I feel like it fit the characters better that they just picked up where they left off. It's even a pretty common occurrence in life. You see someone who you were very close to after a long time and everything kind of just naturally falls back into place. They got back together the same way they left, in totally disorder and chaos. It was perfect. But I do understand wanting it to be a bigger deal.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I don't understand how people still like OP now because One Piece is just so monotonous. The same thing happens over and over and over and it's so tired by now. The format hasn't been changed at all and I thought the timeskip was going to do that. The apathy levels skyrocket with all the ridiculous padding and unnecessary bullshit that Oda adds to it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom