• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mann vs. Machine (Team Fortress 2 Co-Op) |OT| Robot Parade

Vamphuntr

I find that the people who bitch about class selection are typically just terrible at this mode.

In my last game in Mann UP mode I had a player like that complaining that someone was playing Sniper and that we had no heavy but we won anyway in the end.

I think it's winnable with any team as long as you work in team and that your team is diversified.

Javaman

In my last game in Mann UP mode I had a player like that complaining that someone was playing Sniper and that we had no heavy but we won anyway in the end.

I think it's winnable with any team as long as you work in team and that your team is diversified.

I'd say pyro and eng are pretty vital to the game, especially on advanced. The former is the eng's only defense against sentry busters. I've only got about a 1/4 chance of getting away from the bomb intact. Sometimes its easier to just grap the dispenser and run/rebuild further back.

Yeah, Spies get an AoE Sapper and super backstabs for the big enemies. Really need to spend time with him.

The Sapper is really good when max upgraded. Health on kills and faster melee attacks are good upgrades too imo.

But, you should get Armor Penetration.

Edit: I went as Spy on an advanced mission yesterday, and we got waves and waves with pyros. I was reduced to use Sapper and collect money.

Nome

Really, really unimpressed with this.

It feels like something slapped together by a small team in their spare time (and it probably is). Lacks the usual Valve polish... and that's an understatement. I can't think of a buggier TF2/Valve release in recent memory.

Also, as a spy main, this mode is pretty painful. Shoulda made the Pyro a support unit or something :(

Owensboro

Finally completed an Advanced mode mission!

Thanks to BlackIce, Owensboro, Leon Trotsky, Flipyap, [one more don't remember name]!

Hell yeah! Don't forget to mention that the map timer was out for the last 3 waves, meaning if we lost it was game over. We freaking ROCKED it though. Kritz Medic engage!

corn_fest

Pyro is really fun in this. Unlike in the typical game where you need to be sneaky and use secondary/melee weapons, simply maxing out flamethrower damages and resistances is a perfectly viable strategy. Throw in a couple ammo upgrades, and you can pretty much just run headfirst into hordes and do immense damage.

After not playing TF2 for almost 2 years, I was shocked I still remembered how to play the game. Will definitely be playing this more.

What's a decent build for scout ?
Gun/shotty upgrades only ?

you're going to want to be a support player. Scout can't really take on huge crowds easily, so he defaults back to being a great support.

You heal with money collection and have a high radius of money collection, so you should always have health. Mad Milk can be upgraded to have a ~3 second recharge and slow on hit, so you can slow down entire groups of bots. Sandman can cause mark of death, and stun, and you can upgrade to have multiple balls.

I'd say get the health+ upgrade for your primary and stick with that to finish off enemies other players are attacking.

You also instantly respawn, so if there's an enemy that snuck back to spawn, you can just kill in console and instantly teleport back to base.

Thoraxes

Man, I got an awesome Mann Up group last night.

We did 1-2, 3-1, and 3-2.

And the dudes liked the team so much that for two of them they bought us all Surplus Vouchers. I've been rolling in items.

Also, got the robo Medic backpack and robo Scout Hat.

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah, as a guy who pretty much only plays sniper, I have gotten shit from random people a few times. Then we actually play and they realize that most of their kills are coming from jarate'd bots.

There are people who think it's smart to have like 3 heavies at a a time. I find that, like you say, if the team isn't diversified, it's a losing scenario.

Angry Fork

Finally completed an Advanced mode mission!

Thanks to BlackIce, Owensboro, Leon Trotsky, Flipyap, [one more don't remember name]!

I'm Trotsky, the soldier rockets are so annoying lol. Especially the giant rapid fire soldier I don't know how a team would beat that. It was fun though cheers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You get an achievement for that!

Krit Heavy and Krit Demoknight are actually the two I've seen do the most damage. Have a Medic charging Kritz really fast and he can allow one class to easily do it all himself.
I can attest to the effectiveness of Krit Heavy tank mutilation.

No need to rub it in.

T3RBb.jpg

2MF

I have a linode server which isn't too busy so I'll try to create a UK dedicated server for this mode... Wish me luck.

I find that the people who bitch about class selection are typically just terrible at this mode.
It's flat out annoying. I tried to get into. Mann Up game and one guy just kept bitching about someone playing as a sniper. It's ridiculous to me. Let people play whatever the hell they want to play.

Setero

Neo Member
Multiple heavies with Natasha are much more effective at slowing the horde than Mad Milk\Jarate, I really don't know why people don't use bonk with scout to just collect money.

likeGdid

Won my first Mann Up mode on Decoy. Took around 4 hours, and played with randoms most of whom would drop out. Luckily on the last wave we were all pretty well coordinated.

For scout, besides the obvious maxed Mad Milk with slowdown, I liked the Soda Popper for primary. Quick reloads + upgrades in clip size + quick hype with speed upgrades = cheap, high firepower.

Besides that, my main strategy was staying on the bridge and constantly spamming mad milk on Super mercs to slow them down.

Extra Tip: Don't forget your damn resistances, and try not to get below a B on each wave.

I'd say pyro and eng are pretty vital to the game, especially on advanced. The former is the eng's only defense against sentry busters. I've only got about a 1/4 chance of getting away from the bomb intact. Sometimes its easier to just grap the dispenser and run/rebuild further back.
Of the 6 mann up missions I've won, none of them had a pyro or needed one. A trick I've seen engies use is to run towards the bomb with their stuff, then run back when it starts to explode. Also, if you have a good scout on your team he'll mad milk it which will slow it.

You an pretty much make it through any mission with a variety of classes, there's no one class where you NEED to have it.

Sciz

Multiple heavies with Natasha are much more effective at slowing the horde than Mad Milk\Jarate, I really don't know why people don't use bonk with scout to just collect money.

Natasha's comparatively low damage output hurts against giants and tanks, and scouts gain so much health from collecting fields of cash that Bonk is overkill.

KarmaCow

With a couple of resistances and overheal from cash pickups, scouts don't even have to bother with bonk.

Uncle AJ

Is there a way to join a Mann Up game from the server browser? I'm seriously tired of waiting forever just to join a match where someone quits after the first wave.

Berordn

Is there a way to join a Mann Up game from the server browser? I'm seriously tired of waiting forever just to join a match where someone quits after the first wave.

The matchmaking is where the backend handles tickets and passes, so unfortunately not. You can play the advanced maps in a community server, though.

Uncle AJ

The matchmaking is where the backend handles tickets and passes, so unfortunately not. You can play the advanced maps in a community server, though.

Thanks. Then is there a way to tell which servers are running Advanced? So far I've only been able to pick out one or two because they have Advanced in the server name.

Berordn

Thanks. Then is there a way to tell which servers are running Advanced? So far I've only been able to pick out one or two because they have Advanced in the server name.

Aside from the server browser, the only way to check (that I'm aware of at least) is reading what mission is active in the score window. You can call a vote to change the difficulty at any time, though.

Sentry busters are still whooping my team's ass. What's the best way to deal with them? Crits?

Stand next to sentry. Pick up sentry when buster comes close. Run like a madman when it arms itself. If you really must kill it, then crits or juggling it with explosions works occasionally.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea. A Pyro pushing it back while people concentrate fire on it, helps out a lot. The only problem comes in when there are a boatload of them and a lot of stuff going on.

One thing I did by mistake was to pick up my sentry to early. The sentry buster ran past me and straight to the other engie's blindside and blew his entire setup up.

Scumbag engineer.

I'm Trotsky, the soldier rockets are so annoying lol. Especially the giant rapid fire soldier I don't know how a team would beat that. It was fun though cheers.

I ended up getting projectile destruction on my heavy, it really cuts down on some of the rain from the rapid fire giant soldiers. So worth it.

Proven

I'll be up for games tonight.

Edit: Ok, so I just went through the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/X07u1Sn0

The only servers that seem to be working are Shadowhaxor's Outerhaven #1 and #3. I removed two servers, and will be removing two more by tomorrow. I PM'd Shadowhaxor at least, but I'm guessing the other people are taking down their servers for good.

Fill your canteen with Ubercharge. Uber when the buster is about to blow and you and your sentry will live. Other buildings will die.

In that case, pick up your dispenser!

Once you're in a server, you can call a vote to up the difficulty.

2MF

I have a mvm_decoy server running at 109.74.204.218:27015

Password is quad_damage

Server is located in London. Join in, I'm in there now!

It's my first TF2 server and I just finished setting it up, so I don't guarantee it will be stable. I will learn how to set up the map rotation later, for now I guess it will stay in this map...

Top Bottom