• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Madness 2017 |OT| The Committee Doesn't Know What They're Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

I feel like Kentucky has that, "We're Kentucky so we'll win" mentality and it causes them to underestimate teams.

I honestly think it's less about that and more about Cal's rejection of giving players scouting reports and such. He believes that with the kind of young players he has, it makes them get in their heads too much so he just focuses on what they should do, not what the opponent is going to do.

It means there are always in game adjustments that need to be made. Even the best most dominant teams he has had have had those moments where you just scratch your head.

Not sure it's always the right decision, but I'm not going to argue with the level of post-season success he has had over the past few years.

lt519

Refs finally calling a game well and letting the players play. Nothing worse then teams getting rewarded for putting their heads down and bulling their way to the basket and getting bailed out by the refs.

I've got stake in Wichita St here, hope they start hitting a little from the outside.

I honestly think it's less about that and more about Cal's rejection of giving players scouting reports and such. He believes that with the kind of young players he has, it makes them get in their heads too much so he just focuses on what they should do, not what the opponent is going to do.

It means there are always in game adjustments that need to be made. Even the best most dominant teams he has had have had those moments where you just scratch your head.

Not sure it's always the right decision, but I'm not going to argue with the level of post-season success he has had over the past few years.

I never knew that about Cal, anyway I was speaking generally about UK teams and not necessarily this specific one.

For a half where the bench was in for half of it and Wichita having a LOT of great shots that didn't drop, I will take being up by two.

Everyone so focused on the smaller conferences getting a little piece of the pie, they forgot about the ACC being total shit.

But this is the darkest timeline.

We'll get a Duke/UNC final.

nillapuddin

what an odd, odd, odd game

weirdly even

8U5qxJk.png

nillapuddin

How can anyone be enjoying this game from a casual perspective?

Super low scoring, bad shooting (good defense tho)

Idk, we havent played like this all year, no me gusta at all. We only scored below 70 twice all year I think.

iamblades

Why do we ever run iso plays for briscoe.

Why WHY WHY!

If he gets an opportunity in transition fine, but he should not be trying to break guys down off the dribble.

LionPride

Banned
How can anyone be enjoying this game from a casual perspective?

Super low scoring, bad shooting (good defense tho)

Idk, we havent played like this all year, no me gusta at all. We only scored below 70 twice all year I think.

If you're watching MM from a casual perspective, you like wanna see buzzer beaters and upsets, so people can root for a team like the Shockers over Kentucky

iamblades

If you're watching MM from a casual perspective, you like wanna see buzzer beaters and upsets, so people can root for a team like the Shockers over Kentucky

Wouldn't be that much of an upset actually(it's statistically a coinflip game, UK has a 51% chance to win according to kenpom), just the NCAA is garbage at seeding.

nillapuddin

yeah, fair enough

just explained the seeding of WSU to my fiancee, she is baffled by how that happened.

if WSU run ends today it would be a shame, marshall is a great coach

Kusagari

The NCAA's garbage seeding impacts both teams. Villanova and Kentucky should not be stuck playing teams like the Shockers and Badgers in round 2. What the hell kind of reward is that?

The NCAA's garbage seeding impacts both teams. Villanova and Kentucky should not be stuck playing teams like the Shockers and Badgers in round 2. What the hell kind of reward is that?

It's the post-season tournament for the national championship. Should they get cupcakes until the final?

Kalnos

Banned
I just don't get what "rewards" should be there in a tournament like this. Many of the teams being faced are going to be good by design.

You're rewarded with a high seed and thus shouldn't have to play underseeded teams. No real argument that Wisconsin was underseeded.

iamblades

It's the post-season tournament for the national championship. Should they get cupcakes until the final?

If they are going to have a seeded tournament, they should at least make sure their seeds reflect reality to some degree.

The changes coming next year where they are going to consider the computers instead of basing everything off the godawful RPI may help a bit, but we shall see.

You're rewarded with a high seed and thus shouldn't have to play underseeded teams. No real argument that Wisconsin was underseeded.
I get that in the first round. But you're getting into a bit of forecasting once the tourney starts and are trying to predict the second round and Sweet 16.

If they are going to have a seeded tournament, they should at least make sure their seeds reflect reality to some degree.

The changes coming next year where they are going to consider the computers instead of basing everything off the godawful RPI may help a bit, but we shall see.

Computers worked brilliantly in college football. There just isn't going to be a perfect seeding system for a field of 68 teams.

iamblades

I get that in the first round. But you're getting into a bit of forecasting once the tourney starts and are trying to predict the second round and Sweet 16.

Computers worked brilliantly in college football. There just isn't going to be a perfect seeding system for a field of 68 teams.

No one is asking for perfect. We are asking for a system that makes any degree of sense whatsoever.

Also statistical analysis has a much better track record of success in a sport like basketball than in football because there is a larger sample of data. Kenpom and Sagarin have a pretty damn good track record of judging relative quality of teams going back many years at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom