• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

LU season 3 tapings starting

CdENiAbUsAApOJ5.jpg

This Breeze discussion has me thinking:

Would Miz have been given the time of day if it wasn't for his reality show fame? I know he's been able to show himself over the long run, but do you think without his "fame" would they have given him the time of day?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tyler Breeze chat: the problem with NXT gimmicks is that characters show up on Raw as fully-fleshed out characters that the main roster audience will never see any of the development of.

Someone on reddit pointed out how Bo Dallas is an example of it because his NXT run that explained how his character got that way in an entertaining way was completely buried once he showed up on the main roster because all of that had already occurred, and therefore when he arrived on Raw he was just some idiot that immediately got buried on the mic by JBL and Cole for his gimmick (which made no sense without the babyface run that was associated with it).

Ithil

Tyler Breeze chat: the problem with NXT gimmicks is that characters show up on Raw as fully-fleshed out characters that the main roster audience will never see any of the development of.

Someone on reddit pointed out how Bo Dallas is an example of it because his NXT run that explained how his character got that way in an entertaining way was completely buried once he showed up on the main roster because all of that had already occurred, and therefore when he arrived on Raw he was just some idiot that immediately got buried on the mic by JBL and Cole for his gimmick (which made no sense without the babyface run that was associated with it).

This would be where vignettes come in. Or a competent announce team.

FyreWulff

They just announced Monday Night Raw is coming here. May 9th. Radio ad. Cena was nowhere in the ad.

It was messed up how they call out Ryback specifically but it's just "and the WWE Divas!"

The only real unfortunate thing about watching Lucha Underground for the first time ever right now is that there's no S1 thread here on GAF to read through.

Love:
Fenix
Pentagon Jr.
Mil Muertes
Ivelisse, Son of Havoc, Angelico
Pimpinela Escarlata
Mascarita Sagrada
Melissa Santos

Put me to sleep:
Texano
Hernandez
Johnny Mundo
del Rio

Currently on Ep 29, so still have plenty to go before I'm caught up.

MC Safety

Patrick Klepek and Dan Rykert made an amusing video with the help of the New Day. It's on Patrick's facebook site, and I have no idea how to port it over here.

Were I less lazy, I'd hunt on Kotaku or Giant Bomb for it, but that reeks of effort.

Will Sting show up to help Shane? Guy can hit taker with the bat and hit the death drop..

Imagine this playing with the lights out with Mauro on commentary

"When a man's heart is full of deceit, it burns up, dies, and a dark shadow falls over his soul. From the ashes of a once great man has risen a curse, a wrong that must be righted. We look to the skies for a vindicator, someone to strike fear into the black heart of the same man who created him. The battle between good and evil has begun. Against an army of shadows comes a dark warrior. The purveyor of good, with a voice of silence, and a mission of justice. This is, Sting."

https://youtu.be/rCc5em8Ftto

Oersted

Which gimmick/character has Del Rio?

Godking Rusev is still a brute and adds the TV champion gimmick for the hack of it, Sheamus has a irish looking diashow, Barrett is almost gone anyway...

What is Alberto?

Zach

"When a man's heart is full of deceit, it burns up, dies, and a dark shadow falls over his soul. From the ashes of a once great man has risen a curse, a wrong that must be righted. We look to the skies for a vindicator, someone to strike fear into the black heart of the same man who created him. The battle between good and evil has begun. Against an army of shadows comes a dark warrior. The purveyor of good, with a voice of silence, and a mission of justice. This is, Sting."

I wonder who wrote that. Do we know?

Nekofrog

Banned
Please don't think I'm making a direct comparison between the two guys, because I'm not.

If the WWF had decided to treat Kurt Angle like Tyler Breeze after his first 2 months of literal "who the hell is this guy, we don't care" reactions he was getting, look what we would have missed out on.

There are so many guys that fall flat or outright nobody even cares about when they debut that have gone on to do some amazing things. If you're not giving a guy a chance, who has proven by the way, that he can do good work in the past, then why are they even there in the first place?

kiguel182

This is also completely true and something that has harmed a lot of people (like Bo Dallas and Emma).

But, unless they hit a reset button on the characters, I don't know how to solve it. Characters in NXT have development so I guess you could take that away and make the product suffer. I don't know but it's a problem for sure.

Doesn't excuse the poor treatment they get sometimes but it's an issue.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This would be where vignettes come in. Or a competent announce team.

They don't do vignettes anymore and even if they did, I don't think that's the problem. The problem is that gimmicks getting over pretty much requires viewers to watch its evolution happen, e.g. the New Day. The thing is, NXT DOES do that, its just that they don't do it again once the NXT guy gets over enough to be promoted. They just show up as the end character. I don't think people would "get" Tyler Breeze or Bo Dallas just by watching a vignette of what their character does, or even if you recapped the NXT thing. That's not why people watch wrestling.

This is also completely true and something that has harmed a lot of people (like Bo Dallas and Emma).

But, unless they hit a reset button on the characters, I don't know how to solve it. Characters in NXT have development so I guess you could take that away and make the product suffer. I don't know but it's a problem for sure.

Doesn't excuse the poor treatment they get sometimes but it's an issue.

It's just an issue that exists for anyone in NXT that has a midcard-y gimmick. Zayn is lucky because his gimmick is "he's a babyface indie darling who has a longstanding with this other heel," which is an easy gimmick to get over on the main roster even for people who don't know who the fuck Sami Zayn is and/or don't watch NXT. It doesn't really need an explanation.

I don't doubt you'll be seeing Owens/Zayn in increasingly dangerous looking undercard matches for a while.

One day after Vince dies I want HHH to answer some of these creative decisions.

Like what

"So we bring that bearded indy scrub back from injury and have him announce he's gonna be in the Rumble. This way fans can't be mad he's not in!

And then we have him eliminated 10 minutes in after doing barely anything"

Angry Grimace

Say what you want about the 2015 Rumble, but throwing Bryan out to a chorus of boos and then immediately firing up SHATTERED DREAMS on the titantron was pure genius level trolling by Vince.

kiguel182

They don't do vignettes anymore and even if they did, I don't think that's the problem. The problem is that gimmicks getting over pretty much requires viewers to watch its evolution happen, e.g. the New Day. The thing is, NXT DOES do that, its just that they don't do it again once the NXT guy gets over enough to be promoted. They just show up as the end character. I don't think people would "get" Tyler Breeze or Bo Dallas just by watching a vignette of what their character does, or even if you recapped the NXT thing. That's not why people watch wrestling.

It's just an issue that exists for anyone in NXT that has a midcard-y gimmick. Zayn is lucky because his gimmick is "he's a babyface indie darling who has a longstanding with this other heel," which is an easy gimmick to get over on the main roster even for people who don't know who the fuck Sami Zayn is and/or don't watch NXT. It doesn't really need an explanation.

I don't doubt you'll be seeing Owens/Zayn in increasingly dangerous looking undercard matches for a while.

NXT has a tendency to create characters with more depth than that. Depth that is lost when going to Raw both because of the reasons you said and because there's no stories to show that depth.

Raw has very little character development while NXT has a ton of it so the styles clash when making the transition from one to the other.

Shadow780

Do you really want to see Bayley reverted back to a 14 yr girl tho?

kiguel182

Do you really want to see Bayley reverted back to a 14 yr girl tho?

Yeah,you can't do an hard reset.

Better booking and commentary would still go a long way even if the problem would still be there.

Or, make NXT a separate brand and make it mainstream. There, problem solved. Raw vs NXT instead of Smackdown.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah,you can't do an hard reset.

Better booking and commentary would still go a long way even if the problem would still be there.

Or, make NXT a separate brand and make it mainstream. There, problem solved. Raw vs NXT instead of Smackdown.

I think its more likely that NXT invades Smackdown and then challenges RAW.

kiguel182

I think its more likely that NXT invades Smackdown and then challenges RAW.

That could work.

Ending Smackdown and replacing it with NXT (keeping the format) would be a great shot in the arm for the WWE.

And people would stop "graduating" to Raw and coming in as scrubs. Treating talent that can sell out arenas as "little guys" makes less and less sense the more NXT grows.

Top Bottom