• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

miserable

The fact that Wyatt lost to Cena on multiple occasions means little

cm-punk.gif

Pretty interesting article on Bray Wyatt's recent troubles:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/03/09/deconstructing-bray-wyatt/

Definitely recommend reading the whole thing.

Ultimately the blame must be laid at the feet of the storyteller, Vince McMahon, for losing faith in the character, or more accurately put, for being afraid to let the character succeed.

So....booking / writers? Same old shit everyone has been saying.

The time to elevate the Wyatts was the Taker feud and they just ....didn't.

The whole "wins and losses don't matter" narrative is something that really needs to die

Wins and losses shouldn't matter if you're champ though, especially if you book it right. Champ lost? Big deal, title wasn't on the line. Go ahead and have your win. Why should the champ put in the extra effort?

thefro

Speaking of the Shockmaster

Bruce Prichard said on Flair's podcast a couple weeks ago that Vince's original plan for Wrestlemania VII was Tugboat turning heel on Hogan and becoming "Shiek Tugboat" and an Iraqi sympathizer.

Vince was all gung-ho about it "it'll be great, he's huge!" until the bookers talked him into using Slaughter instead.

Fox318

Wins and losses shouldn't matter if you're champ though, especially if you book it right. Champ lost? Big deal, title wasn't on the line. Go ahead and have your win. Why should the champ put in the extra effort?

For a heel champ yes.

Babyface champ wants to defend the belt and get the glory.

Bruce Prichard said on Flair's podcast a couple weeks ago that Vince's original plan for Wrestlemania VII was Tugboat turning heel on Hogan and becoming "Shiek Tugboat" and an Iraqi sympathizer.

Vince was all gung-ho about it "it'll be great, he's huge!" until the bookers talked him into using Slaughter instead.

Lol,someone needs to compile all of Vince unused ideas.

Never forget chilly Mcfreeze

Sephzilla

Heel champs shouldn't be taking non-title losses because it ultimately undercuts the audience satisfaction of seeing that heel eventually lose for the title. Face champs shouldn't even be in non-title singles matches, because your typical babyface will want to be a fighting champ

Heel champs shouldn't be taking non-title losses because it ultimately undercuts the audience satisfaction of seeing that heel eventually lose for the title. Face champs shouldn't even be in non-title singles matches, because your typical babyface will want to be a fighting champ

Heel champs having losses doesn't matter though. Hell they could walk out of the match and it wouldn't matter until the belt is on the line.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

Say that to seth who lost every match as champion apart from ppv shows which he only won due to cheating / help from others etc.

Sorry, I meant losses where the heel is actually taking a pin or submission. Heels walking out on matches is a classic heel staple.

Again, that doesn't matter. Hell, if I were champ and I had to take on Scrubzilla in a non-title match, why would I bother putting in effort when a loss isn't going to cost me the belt? I'd just lay on the mat, let you pin me, and make you famous. My belt ain't going anywhere. You'd get excited for a win, but for me it'd be a tuesday monday.
Say that to seth who lost every match as champion apart from ppv shows which he only won due to cheating / help from others etc.

Exactly my point!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For all the whining about how much Seth Rollins was booked like a chump, I was personally here watching y'all get heavily invested into every match where he could have conceivably lost the title.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seth was always booked as the chickenshit heel. Never had an issue with his individual booking that other people seemed to have. It'd be worse if he was Triple H and was 'the corporate's trophy but also teh best wrassler who is cool and a badass and is cool'

It's the booking of 'they can't build a feud to save their lives' and 'seth has a microphone' and 'seth means more authority promo time' that was the issue i had

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not ringing any bells. Should I just google it?

Someone's probably typing it all out, but basically once Vince exploded in the limo, his plan was to come back with an army of hobos as the Hobo King and wrestle or something. It sounds great.

Heel

An award-winning professor of journalism is discussing ethics and undue intrusiveness, completely burying Gawker. This is delicious.

Jesus.........................That's what today's product has to fight on a weekly basis.

I enjoyed Russo PT 2 on the SC podcast too this week.I agree with so much of what he said.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Sheik Tugboat could have also been awesome. Both work well. I wish we had both.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know if its just that they keep a better lid on it, but I feel like I hear a lot less about carny politicking these days (in terms of doing the job and what-not).

Jamie OD

Tell me more.

The story came from a 2012 F4W interview Bryan Alvarez did with an ex WWE writer. I'm just going to paste what I found on Google to save myself some time.

Apparently after Vince thought of this, the next week he thought of some storyline that involved him going away for months from the public eye. Not even attending stockholder and business meetings. They were going to put this on wwe.com to make it a huge deal, and eventually Vince was going to return with a HOBO ARMY. Can't make this up. (Of course this wouldn't of worked because they're a public traded company and something like this would nearly kill the company)

I don't know if its just that they keep a better lid on it, but I feel like I hear a lot less about carny politicking these days (in terms of doing the job and what-not).

Maybe all of the backstage politicians have more or less died out and the wwe roster is full of dudes who are ok with what they get.

number47

It's that superstars have power levels. Vince shows Wyatts as a demi god. Yet loses to Cena

Rusev was a russian? Brute. Speed and power.
Loses to cena

So vince, what does it take to beat cena. If ko did it clean on his first shot,should we pay attention to KO?

Vince bookING is ass. I'm crazy enough to think vince wants people to buy wwe stock just to rise it to the point we have more say of power than he does.

Punk/Austin was in the stars. But vince dosent like brass reachers so there wasn't going to be a story line good enough for them.

Bryan did take alot of beatings between the Wyatts jumping him every other week. Then that series between him and randy was ecw lite. Great,but vicious bumps.

I don't think hbk and rock were really there at the same time.

HBK wanted Triple H to fight Austin instead of The Rock at Wrestlemania 15??? WHAT????

I heard HBK was behind taking Foley out of the proposed Austin/Foley/Rock triple threat at WM15. (Russo said it so take it with a grain of salt). It does lend some credence though, Foley was trading the title with Rock in early 99...

Top Bottom