• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Striker

Just a clarification...the problem wasnt having two world titles. There was a point where Batista and Cena were both world champions, and they were both prestigous (the WHC main evented two wrestlemanias in row!)...the problem was having two world titles AFTER the brand split ended.

Then the World Heavyweight Championship became the Intercontinental title in all but name.
The brand split was still around in '08. The briefcase caused too many meaningless and drained opportunities. You go through CM Punk's two WHC reigns, they were awful. He was hardly a true main event guy at the time, but since he's on a show without Cena, Taker is MIA, Edge is out injured, and Batista is on Raw, there's no one else. Then obviously Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, etc. The WHC started becoming weaker I say in '08 and after moving away Edge and Batista. After that they put it on secondary main event guys or ones they wanted to push, yet still weren't going to look formidable against the Raw champion (ADR, Orton, Sheamus).

Besides the glitches, I would really like to see a complete overhaul of the online modes. As it stands now I could give two shits about playing these games online as they don't offer much of anything. It's 2016. I feel like we should have had a well-established E-Fed mode by now with complete stat tracking, GM options and much more. I love the roster and I like that create-a-match is back in but the game still ends up being stale after a couple of months due to the lack of quality competitive multiplayer.
I don't know how 2K doesn't have something like this boiled up yet given their modes and features in the NBA series.

Tom Nook

I can see it might be Rusev and/or Lana but why would "some people will be thrilled to hear this"?

Are they that mad they broke kayfabe?

Titus is already being reported to be leaving when his contract is up. BA wouldn't be cryptic on him. I would think Rusev and Lana would give their notices together.

Barrage

The brand split was still around in '08. The briefcase caused too many meaningless and drained opportunities. You go through CM Punk's two WHC reigns, they were awful. He was hardly a true main event guy at the time, but since he's on a show without Cena, Taker is MIA, Edge is out injured, and Batista is on Raw, there's no one else. Then obviously Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, etc. The WHC started becoming weaker I say in '08 and after moving away Edge and Batista. After that they put it on secondary main event guys or ones they wanted to push, yet still weren't going to look formidable against the Raw champion (ADR, Orton, Sheamus).

2007 was when the Brand Extension ended for PPVs, which is the date I was referring to. This was a "soft" brand extension, and after this pont the two world titles were never portrayed as equal again.

My point was that through 02-06(although in 06 the trouble started) both titles existed and had prestige. But you cant have both if the whple roster is on every PPV.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What do you want us to talk about boss?

I noticed this morning Dutch Mantell was talking a lot about his time booking Puerto Rico and how easy it was for them to pull a packed house. Here's a couple photos he posted:

Sweatin' FallingEdge style in 02 with Rick Steiner
FwcRu8L.jpg

The crowds they'd pull multiple times a week, they sure got packed in.
LLW25L1.jpg

And a few familiar faces, like Mil Muertes and some others.
xJu5Fco.jpg

I don't believe Puerto Rico had much of a TV presence. Anyone who's more of a historian about video (Lookin at you, Boots) - anyone know of the existence of much PR footage and what eras have been preserved?

Striker

2007 was when the Brand Extension ended for PPVs, which is the date I was referring to. This was a "soft" brand extension, and after this pont the two world titles were never portrayed as equal again.

My point was that through 02-06(although in 06 the trouble started) both titles existed and had prestige. But you cant have both if the whple roster is on every PPV.
Fair enough. Losing the stars as time went on didn't help. I've seen some people want a brand split now, and that's a giant reason it can't work. Better option is to just have NXT replacing Smackdown (it won't happen but that is an improved alternative).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of WWC stuff was televised.

Puerto Rico is the only place where the fans still think it's real

From what years really? I really ought to learn more about that area's different eras, if they even have them. It sounds like it's still one big badass thing STILL without much of a shift, and I dig that.

Why would Lana leave? She's about to have a Wrestlemania match
Why would Rusev leave? He's on the road with her now

It's probably Titus

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why would Lana leave? She's about to have a Wrestlemania match
Why would Rusev leave? He's on the road with her now

It's probably Titus

Rusev and Lana are doing great. Anyone thinking they'll be happy to leave are wrong. They're hot right now and WWE is hot on them too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
LU is starting to face the problem AAA has right now. Which is that they keep booking luchadoras but most luchadoras are pretty garbage and that's why Taya has completely dominated AAA's womens division other than Ivellise. So they could bring in Faby, but she doesn't fit the 'look' of all the luchadoras they've brought in and she's getting up there in wrestling years from how long she's been doing it.

Honestly, they either need to bring in girls like Zeuxis or Keira or cut the division entirely because it is by far the worst part of watching LU is when I see Sexy Star or Kobra Moon come out. If it's not how bad of wrestlers they are, it's how awkward their intergender matches are. And how bad it is every time Matt Strike says THE GENDER LINES ARE BLURRED
From what years really? I really ought to learn more about that area's different eras, if they even have them. It sounds like it's still one big badass thing STILL without much of a shift, and I dig that.

just watch The Raging Bull get shoot revenge for Brody

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
LU is starting to face the problem AAA has right now. Which is that they keep booking luchadoras but most luchadoras are pretty garbage and that's why Taya has completely dominated AAA's womens division other than Ivellise. So they could bring in Faby, but she doesn't fit the 'look' of all the luchadoras they've brought in and she's getting up there in wrestling years from how long she's been doing it.

Honestly, they either need to bring in girls like Zeuxis or Keira or cut the division entirely because it is by far the worst part of watching LU is when I see Sexy Star or Kobra Moon come out. If it's not how bad of wrestlers they are, it's how awkward their intergender matches are. And how bad it is every time Matt Strike says THE GENDER LINES ARE BLURRED
If the gender lines were really blurred he wouldn't say anything about the genders.

I saw a lot of WWC back in the day, it was on local TV here sometimes. I remember one bit in particular where some girl (Abriella? The name was odd) came in, fought people, got decked, and then I think Savio Vega came out or some shit

Rusev and Lana are doing great. Anyone thinking they'll be happy to leave are wrong. They're hot right now and WWE is hot on them too.

Yeah, they're kind of past the whole angle botch thing anyway. Rusev's too good.

I do think it's odd that they keep them separate now though

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As much as I enjoy the Mexican crowds of the 90s or the Japanese crowds of the 70s and 80s or the American crowds of the late 90s, nobody is hotter than the Puerto Rican crowds. If you look up any wrestler that worked there, they talk about just how fucking insane it was.

In one of his shoots, Dutch talked about how often real fights broke out between wrestlers and the crowds. It's kind of insane. And ADR's recent trip to Puerto Rico proved it's still kind of insane.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also vampiro's 2003 look is his best look ever. but it's impossible to find pictures of outside of shitty sd compression video stills
8g4MFy7.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_mi4t3z56eO1s2k9fuo1_500.jpg

Recall

Do any books or articles exist that cover the history or trials and tribulations of AJPW and what lead to its eventual split after Baba's death?

Mahonay

Banned
Finishing up my first full week of work in quite some time. Learning the ropes in realty. Also doing a little bartending Sunday night as a side thing, for a new lounge up the block from me. Feels weird to be so productive all the sudden. Looking forward to sitting on my ass and watching Roadblock tomorrow night.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
also vampiro's 2003 look is his best look ever. but it's impossible to find pictures of outside of shitty sd compression video stills

He found his good look in WCW and then added to it there. That is a great look for him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Like, Alvarez's scoop was vague enough to be anyone, but I have no clue whatsoever why you would assume it was Rusev or Lana. That doesn't really make any sense.

Mahonay

Banned
Like, Alvarez's scoop was vague enough to be anyone, but I have no clue whatsoever why you would assume it was Rusev or Lana. That doesn't really make any sense.
He said some people would be thrilled to hear it. Could be referring to people within WWE.

It would make sense if it was Lana putting in her notice, since she has nuclear heat backstage that doesn't seem to die.

He said some people would be thrilled to hear it. Could be referring to people within WWE.

It would make sense if it was Lana putting in her notice, since she has nuclear heat backstage that doesn't seem to die.

And even if it's just "some people" like some fans, don't act like the Lana/Rusev/Dolph/Summer 6 month angle wasn't terrible enough in all aspects that at least some people wouldn't be fine with any of them being gone. Can't be Dolph in that respect because every fan wants him gone

Colocho

Banned

I hear everyone say that Lana has heat backstage, but why exactly? Is it just because she "ruined" the worst angle of the last 5 years?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bryan Alvarez says someone else gave their notice to WWE this week and "some people will be thrilled to hear this".
What a cryptic inside scoop, it's almost as if they're more interested in inciting speculation than actually delivering news, it would've been better to have just said nothing at all.

Top Bottom