• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Fox318

I'm not seeing any problem here. Remember, you can get Hulu, which cuts out all commercials and a little bit of Raw!

If you don't like network TV with commercials, consider not watching it on TV

It would be interesting to see a chart like this from programming from the 70s 80s 90s and say smackdown 2002-4.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It would be interesting to see a chart like this from programming from the 70s 80s 90s and say smackdown 2002-4.

I believe most shows have shortened for more advertisements. Live sporting events (or entertainment if you wheel) is a different beast, though, and has many more.

Browny

Banned
Ok, question time. Best big man / little man tag team.

Go!

yokozunalegdrop.gif87sai.gif

Fox318

I believe most shows have shortened for more advertisements. Live sporting events (or entertainment if you wheel) is a different beast, though, and has many more.

Those products have a much larger sample size to pick from and the changeover from people creating shows is high.

Different people are producing shows.

WWE is like if the people producing all of tv were the same people behind cheers in 2016.

Plus WWE can make a show sport based or entertainment based on a whim. Most other products don't have that flexibility.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, question time. Best big man / little man tag team.

Go!

I'm sure someone will say Jason Jordan and Chad Gable since they're new to wrestling

I honestly do enjoy Enzo and Cass a lot due to their interplay together, but they are having a hard time making Cass SOMEONE. Same with Jordan. I have hope, though.

Mahonay

Banned
When's WWE gonna go 4k I wanna see this misery in Ultra HD. Im surprised we haven't gotten a 3D episode yet.
There's no good reason for them to get the equipment to broadcast 4K yet. A very small number of homes with compatible TVs. Probably pretty low on their list of to-dos at the moment.

rrc1594

Watching Austin's last title run as a heel. Man after some matches he look like he can hardly walk. Vince really had everyone put Brock over, but I guess Austin was like fuck that.

There's no good reason for them to get the equipment to broadcast 4K yet. A very small number of homes with compatible TVs. Probably pretty low on their list of to-dos at the moment.

Your right I mean the announcers still watch the entire show in those bulky 240p monitors ringside. I bet they get scanlines on those things.

Last night I noticed my TiVO recording TNA Impact (automatically records based on viewing habits). This morning when I went to look for it I noticed it was gone. I guess TiVO saved me two hours.

Sephzilla

Watching Austin's last title run as a heel. Man after some matches he look like he can hardly walk. Vince really had everyone put Brock over, but I guess Austin was like fuck that.

Even though walking out on the company was wrong, I don't disagree with Austin's reasoning. Austin losing to Brock needed to be a bigger deal.

Browny

Banned
Last night I noticed my TiVO recording TNA Impact (automatically records based on viewing habits). This morning when I went to look for it I noticed it was gone. I guess TiVO saved me two hours.
Ha ha - yeah my box has that habit (random suggestions recording in the background). But if you had got it, you could have fast forwarded through, well, all of it...

Even though walking out on the company was wrong, I don't disagree with Austin's reasoning. Austin losing to Brock needed to be a bigger deal.
The funniest part about all of that is they had JR call him in the middle of the night to give him the finish.

Yeah that's not how you treat your top guy for last 4 years smh Vince. Gave him that Phil Jackson treatment
Vince always trying to rib on someone even though they bust their asses for him. For instance, Taker should said no and kept it going. Austin, while very unprofessional made a good choice. You gotta protect your investment especially when your boss os half doing it. He doesn't think out the full picture and he just doesn't understand that Austin v. Lesnar at a ppv was BIG money.
Did Vince tell JR to do that or was that Jim doing it on his own?
Not exactly sure but Jim was like, you can call Vince Vince and Austin proceeds to do it. The rest is history.

Zach

I watched Goooldberg Goooldberg Goooldberg beat Hogan this morning during coffee time. Still great. Such electric atmosphere.

And this brings us back to comeuppance.

I'm looking at the Monday Night Wars wiki and Nitro hadn't won in the ratings for ten consecutive weeks at this point. But on the night that Goldberg went up against Hogan, WCW won decisively (4.8 to 4.0). Even with RAW being knee-deep in Austin vs. McMahon (the final segment of RAW saw both Austin and McMahon on commentary during what was supposed to be Undertaker vs. Kane vs. Mankind).

Overall, the Nitro wasn't anything out of the ordinary really, from a content standpoint. The atmosphere of being held in a packed Georgia Dome probably helped a bit with the rating, but logic dictates that people tuned in to see the unstoppable Goldberg beat the conniving Hogan. Hogan would undoubtedly get his comeuppance. And that's a draw, brother.

Just saying. I'm sorry for saying "comeuppance" again.

Cagey

Banned
To pass time on the morning commute, I popped on Austin's podcast with Russo. Somewhere in the ramblings of a Grand Central Station homeless panhandler, there was a point made about how wrestling matches in the Attitude Era (and wrestling in Japan today) came across to the viewer as a fight. An actual fight.

Whereas today, American wrestling feelings like Cirque du Soleil or ballet: a choreographed performance piece filled with stunts and tricks.

And the argument being that it's much better when it's "sloppier" if they're portraying a fight than a "cleaner" style of wrestling that comes off like a dance routine.*

I think the homeless guy is right.

*with one wacky lunatic of a notable exception

I'm looking at the Monday Night Wars wiki and Nitro hadn't won in the ratings for ten consecutive weeks at this point. But on the night that Goldberg went up against Hogan, WCW won decisively (4.8 to 4.0). Even with RAW being knee-deep in Austin vs. McMahon (the final segment of RAW saw both Austin and McMahon on commentary during what was supposed to be Undertaker vs. Kane vs. Mankind).

I know booking Mondays then versus now is way different, but I wonder if the E cut down on PPV if it would help make RAW bookings more meaningful and exciting.

daemissary

I know hating on TNA is always the cool thing to do but they are currently better than WWE. They were hot garbage on Destination America last year but have been solid since switching to Pop.

jred2k

To pass time on the morning commute, I popped on Austin's podcast with Russo. Somewhere in the ramblings of a Grand Central Station homeless panhandler, there was a point made about how wrestling matches in the Attitude Era (and wrestling in Japan today) came across to the viewer as a fight. An actual fight.

Whereas today, American wrestling feelings like Cirque du Soleil or ballet: a choreographed performance piece filled with stunts and tricks.

And the argument being that it's much better when it's "sloppier" if they're portraying a fight than a "cleaner" style of wrestling that comes off like a dance routine.*

How many times did Austin mention selling or the DDT?

joelseph

Thanks to the "LU on iTunes" post yesterday on Reddit, I have learned you can watch LU on Xfinity even if you don't have a cable package.

I only have Comcast for internet and I am able to log into Xfinity TV and watch Season 2 of LU! They only keep the last 3 sadly but thankfully EP1 was free on iTunes. I will be caught up tonight. This show is amazing.

I know booking Mondays then versus now is way different, but I wonder if the E cut down on PPV if it would help make RAW bookings more meaningful and exciting.
Considering every ppv is basically a Raw now? Of course.

Watch a Raw from the 90s thrn watch a ppv and see the difference. Production wise.

Raw has allbthe stories and builds. The ppv is to blow off steam with maybe 2-3 backstage segments.

Ppvs now are glorified Raws. We don't want that 3 hour garbage.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to the "LU on iTunes" post yesterday on Reddit, I have learned you can watch LU on Xfinity even if you don't have a cable package.

I only have Comcast for internet and I am able to log into Xfinity TV and watch Season 2 of LU! They only keep the last 3 sadly but thankfully EP1 was free on iTunes. I will be caught up tonight. This show is amazing.

Enjoy, I know you will. Ep1 of S2 was faaaantastic.

Zach

I'll have to check it out, even though that Vince Russo fellow sounds like he's full of it a lot. Not because that's the general consensus. I didn't really know much about the dude when I started watching wrassle again. But I remember hearing him previously on Austin or JR's podcast and he emphatically stated that during his time writing RAW, they never went to commercial mid-match. He gave his guarantee that that did not happen. But I've seen it happen many times. So he's a bit of a fibber. And if he's just misremembering, he shouldn't be so adamant.

Anyway, back to what I was going to say: yeah, wrestling is overall better when it feels natural/organic/whatever. It needs spontaneity. It has to have some semblance of legitimacy and logic. When it just becomes a dance routine, it's not quite as fun.

Cagey

Banned
Anyway, back to what I was going to say: yeah, wrestling is overall better when it feels natural/organic/whatever. It needs spontaneity. It has to have some semblance of legitimacy and logic. When it just becomes a dance routine, it's not quite as fun.

There's a time, place, and space for all types of matches, including the technical showcases that clearly feel orchestrated. But those should be the exception.

An entertaining pro wrasslin product shouldn't earn golf claps too often from its audience.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Well scripted and thought out storylines and writing and match planning should be indistinguishable from spontaneous and organic feeling motivations and reactions. It's rare, but possible!

I feel the "sloppiness" of attitude era wrestling comes from the fact that most of the performers came up in the territories after getting the donkey shit kicked out of them from a "wrestling school". The guys with good match psychology or could work the crowd with a promo rose to the top.

The WWE is currently cultivating a very specific, choreographed style.

Zach

There's a time, place, and space for all types of matches, including the technical showcases that clearly feel orchestrated. But those should be the exception.

An entertaining pro wrasslin product shouldn't earn golf claps too often from its audience.

Well scripted and thought out storylines and writing and match planning should be indistinguishable from spontaneous and organic feeling motivations and reactions. It's rare, but possible!

[politely nodding]

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
[politely nodding]

I can't tell if it's a shitty nod or legit!

Like, Steamboat/Flair at Mania 3. HIGHLY choreographed but most people would never think twice.

Zach

I can't tell if it's a shitty nod or legit!

Like, Steamboat/Flair at Mania 3. HIGHLY choreographed but most people would never think twice.

?!

Edit: And it was a legit nod. I enjoy listening to and considering the opinions of others, without judgment or furious retaliation, Aiii.

Zach

LOL I meant Steamboat/Macho

I figured. And I see what you're saying. And I agree to an extent. But it is my understanding that Macho's matches were always heavily choreographed, and I feel that they suffered for it, especially in WCW. It really should be the exception.

Top Bottom