• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

miserable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYQW3blPf2g

Can someone make a gif of Big E's dead stare from the beginning of this video? :lol

bigeeersd.gif

Roman turns at mania

Arrives at raw after mania in a limo... With Eva Marie

NUCLEAR HEAT
But that man has a loving family, we've seen them!

Oh...OH, we can work that into this as well, he disowned his baby girl and left his wife because he's all about All Red Everything, Believe that.
(Tumblr heat?)

Vince McMahon just referred to Kane and The Undertaker as "two putrid pussies" on this episode of RAW I'm watching.

So that was something.
I'd only ever heard this censored which made it sound like he was going to say "two putrid poofters".
Yeah I suppose that's not exactly slang in Vinny Mac's region, my life is a lie.
HHH's speech about hope worked this guy into a shoot so hard he quit his job

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/general-wwe/#/forumsite/20544/topics/1937993?page=1

This Internet era booking is crazy, dude is going to debut on the Raw After Mania and enter a program with Trips.

Zach

Wrestling books....

Any good ones? Ideally about the industry itself rather than a specific biography.
I've read The Death of WCW, Flair's book, Foley's first book, and Heenan's book. They were all mostly enjoyable, but it sounds like The Death of WCW is what you're looking for.

Mahonay

Banned
Is the Death of WCW as one sided as the Monday Night Wars doc?
Fuck no. Nothing is as one sided as that horseshit. Flair's book is a lot more honest than that. And actually tells the story well.

Although there's Dusty's book where ain't nothin' ever fail in the history of mankind because of the American Dream babeh.

Zach

Is the Death of WCW as one sided as the Monday Night Wars doc?
I thought they exaggerated at times -- actually, I know they did because I remember comparing some segments on YouTube to what they wrote -- and it gets a little numbers-heavy at times (attendance, ratings), but it's nothing like WWE-sanctioned, McMahon-endorsed, Triple H-focused revisionist history.

I'm more of a WCW guy and I still enjoyed it quite a bit overall.

Barrage

Guys, there is fucking zero need for heat if the motherfucker can't put on a good match. Goddamn it, they even had to cut that bayley /asuka / nia jax/ Eva match short because there is only so much you can do with shit. Think about it: asuka and Eva in the same ring and asuka got one spot in.

Yay heat. So fucking what?!

You're right. Fuck Andre the Giant. Fuck Junkyard Dog. Can't put on a good match you're SHIT. It's all about the snowflakes brother!

bjork

I bet he'd be happy to trade the money and not have everyone know he's a raging racist idiot.

If someone came to me and went, "here's 115 million but we're going to out you as a racist that murders and eats babies and is into scat" I would accept it, smiling the entire time.

klonere

Banned
“That was a tragedy in itself. I mean, it was 3 years out of a man’s life. So who knows? You just can’t mess around with women, man, you can’t trust ‘em.” – Ric Flair on Mike Tyson being arrested for rape.

I bet he pitched the kissing Becky spot.

Wrestling books....

Any good ones? Ideally about the industry itself rather than a specific biography.
Gary Hart's book is THE book, lots of good insight on the process of booking/preparing a show. Agree with Death of WCW. Titan Sinking and Titan Shattered cover WWF in its complete shit "New Generation" days, good to read to get an insight on some of the asanine booking ideas from back then.

Been reading Bill Apter's book lately, some good one-chapter stories in there, nice light read.

Lothar

Banned
I want another Brawl For All. Which of the soft millenials in the company now do you think would be brave enough to try? Who would win?

Lothar

Banned
It was a really good speech. (And I hate HHH) If that guy is feeling abused at his job, he should quit. But not before having another job lined up. That's the only dumb part.

Zach

Wrestlemania IV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PncfEXPUpXM

It might be his greatest promo ever.

So delightfully stupid.

So the Brawl for All caused Savio to aggravate an old am injury and leave the wwf. Holy shit

Are you saying I'm post-Savio Vega?!

Yesss!

Gary Hart's book is THE book, lots of good insight on the process of booking/preparing a show.

Still need to read that. I think I have it on my laptop...

Speaking of raging racist idiots

Go on.

I want another Brawl For All. Which of the soft millenials in the company now do you think would be brave enough to try? Who would win?

I wish. The Brawl for All -- while obviously just as bad an idea today as it was in 1998 -- was super entertaining.

Cagey

Banned
Yes, it's the opposite.

I mean, I don't know what to think anymore, Tom. One reoccurring defender of hers admitted to not even watching the program. There is no debate in this discussion and yet people keep projecting her to be this meta/deadpool character. We shouldn't be having this discussions but I guess because people need to find a way to deflate their balls, we will. Absurd
It's not about her being some meta character. Her mannerisms in the ring make her a fun, detestable, arrogant and cowardly heel. Blowing kisses at the corner tag opponent, the smug smirks, flailing about to tag her partner in any way when she has to confront an opponent. That's what I praised and rightfully so. Give her a rich or famous character so there's more motivation for large bodyguards to stick with her and away you go.

It's kinda obvious. There's room in the women's division for a mid card type heel.

bjork

I like Eva. I've seen half of one match ever, but I don't care.

Also she was dope in SuperCard.

So team eva or fuck off imo

cheers

Zach

It's not about her being some meta character. Her mannerisms in the ring make her a fun, detestable, arrogant and cowardly heel. Blowing kisses at the corner tag opponent, the smug smirks, flailing about to tag her partner in any way when she has to confront an opponent. That's what I praised and rightfully so. Give her a rich or famous character so there's more motivation for large bodyguards to stick with her and away you go.

It's kinda obvious. There's room in the women's division for a mid card type heel.
I think the concern is that she's not going to be a mid-card heel. The goal is for her to be an eventual champeen, and that rubs people the wrong way. Because she is really, really bad.

Ithil

I think the concern is that she's not going to be a mid-card heel. The goal is for her to be an eventual champeen, and that rubs people the wrong way. Because she is really, really bad.

But she like raised her arms a bunch of times.

Same here. Obviously they'll stop lesnar from entering as it wouldn't be fair.

Wade would enter, Sheamus would, R-Truth probably, and Show as well. Just a few I can name as there aren't many 'tough guys' in the new era.

Gary Hart's book is THE book, lots of good insight on the process of booking/preparing a show. Agree with Death of WCW. Titan Sinking and Titan Shattered cover WWF in its complete shit "New Generation" days, good to read to get an insight on some of the asanine booking ideas from back then.

Been reading Bill Apter's book lately, some good one-chapter stories in there, nice light read.

I will check this out when I can.

klonere

Banned
If Eva's heat can transfer over to the main roster it will be an interesting sign on how WWE has turned the women's division around to an extent.

Eva is hated in NXT because she supposedly represent all the negatives in the WWE "Divas" concept - negatives that the women in NXT have been actively working to erase from the audiences minds. While I'm not going to be some sort of idiot and say that women aren't judged and employed on their looks anymore, Eva was brought on in an environment where it was clear exactly what the requirements for being a women's performer in WWE, with physical appearance being an overbearing force in the hiring process. In an NXT fans eyes, she is the most egregious example of the excesses of the "Divas" concept. Her character revolves entirely around her look and the fact that yes, she is an arrogant, self-absorbed, vacuous, self-interested model.

Now there is nothing wrong with those personality attributes in a single character but when the entire roster of WWE women once possessed at least two or three of those attributes, we get the "all women are crazy bitches!!!" classic WWE booking. Again, the women in NXT were being marketed as not being like this at or at least attempting to along with a greater emphasis on actually wrestling instead of being trained to "fight like Divas". So Eva's hatred in NXT stems from her being a poor wrestler but also being a relic of an era of WWE women's wrestling that NXT prided itself on looking back with disdain.

So, Eva works in NXT as a heel, meta or not. The question is, has the perception of women on the main roster shifted enough that Eva Marie will instantly be as hated as she in NXT for reasons that have nothing to do with her wrestling. While we have seen the crowd get firmly behind people like Becky, Sasha and Charlotte pre-turn, a lot of the "Divas Revolution" storylines have revolved around "Divas" tropes: out-of-nowhere heel turns because "I got jealous", backstabbing, bickering and bitching amongst each other, extreme, unnecessary and classless personal attacks. The matches have gotten longer and the time dedicated to the women overall has definitely increased but is this enough?

When Eva pops back up on Raw, will your average arena fan recognize her as someone that they hate simply because of what they represent, a Diva in the midst of a new, refreshed roster of compelling, wrestling women? Or will she just be another arrogant, self-absorbed, self-interested, vacuous model and thus, receive cursory boos and mild indifference.

makes u think doe

Something Teddy Long mentioned often in one of his shoot videos after he left the company.
Flair a racist? Wow, I never imagined that. I'm not even being sarcastic. He seemed like a genuine person but the period be grew up and where he grew up, I wouldn't put it past him.

I will check this out when I can.
Gary Hart is probably the only person to speak badly about Sting. As you know wrestling is about politics, he criticized him for letting shit blow past him. I may be wrong but someone hit him in the face and he just turned the other cheek. Gary basically couldn't respect him after that.

This nation dx fight is like a racial war almost. Fucking ridiculous.

It's already bad enough they paint nod as the bad guys and made the fight 3 on 5. Kama was knocked out and Owen left.

Why couldn't they have someone who has beef with dx help nod? This is bullshit

Fuck Jarrett but I'm glad he and southern Justice have come to help

Droz almost knocked himself out getting blocked

Bart and Bradshaw. I may see if I can go next week

Jr. He'll comment on Sable's body but ignore Jacqueline's. The crowd will cheer for sable but not Jacqueline. Fucking conspiracy theory. These people are picky.

Top Bottom