• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

So seeing the Youtube clips of today's Raw, wow...this show was ass. Aside from the AJ/Owens match, it was still a complete waste when you had AJ beaten again by KO with a Jericho distraction for the 2nd time in 4 days.

So glad I don't waste 3 hours a night or even 3 hours of DVR storage on this show.

It's starting to become a chore to fast forward through raw. You wanna know what's crazy? I actually really like the current roster but they are brought down by this abysmal booking. At least Styles and Owens got to shine for a little while tonight. Still though, It's a shame that the IC match has turned into a multi man gimmick fest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The point of a battle royale is pitting a number of guys against each other in a free-for-all.
You don't need any setup or prize.

In the case of the Andre Battle Royale, I think it's a nice match to include every year at Wrestlemania.
Theoretically there is a fight purse which is why champions don't just get themselves DQ'd all the time. I just don't think it's been mentioned for 25 years.

MC Safety

Theoretically there is a fight purse which is why champions don't just get themselves DQ'd all the time. I just don't think it's been mentioned for 25 years.

There used to be an element of that. Wrestlers would also put up money in matches.

One of the matches I always wanted to see was Mr. Wrestling I and II vs. the Fabulous Freebirds vs. The Assassins. Misters Wrestling put up tag belts, the Assassins bet their masks, and the Freebirds offered some ludicrous amount of money. I never got to see the match, but I loved the premise. You know, their belts vs. their masks vs. their money.

I guess the Freebirds won the title.

UberTag

So seeing the Youtube clips of today's Raw, wow...this show was ass. Aside from the AJ/Owens match, it was still a complete waste when you had AJ beaten again by KO with a Jericho distraction for the 2nd time in 4 days.

So glad I don't waste 3 hours a night or even 3 hours of DVR storage on this show.
Three hours of crap from a company that doesn't respect their audience or their audience's time and the only half-decent match is the one they should have either built for Mania or saved for a program down the road and ended in the same lame distraction finish booking (we get more of these than run-ins) that works to get nobody over.

The first Nakamura-Styles rematch on the main card will probably be thrown out on a random episode of Superstars or Smackdown and end in a non-finish to push Braun Strowman or The Ryback.

Bayley will be reduced to nothing special and thrown into mixed diva tag matches until her partners turn on her out of petty jealousy.

The Balor Club will feud with the League of Nations and the Social Outcasts until they inevitably breakup for a singles push for Festus. He's a tall guy, you know.

I am enjoying the extreme nostalgia build for Ambrose vs. Lesnar. I think they'll put something special together at Mania because they both know how to work the crowd. If the Mania planners are smart, they'll bookend The Walking Dead with the two spectacle matches - Lesnar-Ambrose on one side (ending at 9pm), Hell in a Cell on the other (starting at 10:30pm).

Adree

So Zack Ryder replaces Neville in the IC ladder match.

I like Zack Ryder, but this isn't even close to a good replacement.

Who would be though? I'd have just left that spot out. I mean they already buried Stardust/Sin Cara/Ryder by them being picked by Owens so he'd have someone he'd easily beat. And Breeze can't do the required amount of flipz.

Wait a minute? Vince said that this would be Undertaker's last Mania if he loses, but if he loses doesn't that mean Vince doesn't have any power and Shane runs the company? So how does he have the power to decide that???????

Probably a contract-binding stipulation. In that event, it's perfectly logical

Adree

Should've just let Owens face Zayn one on one and just put everyone else in the Battle Royale.

Who is even in that thing?

I've never understood the whole "everyone has to be on the card at Wrestlemania so they can get a good payday" thing anyway. Put on the best show you can and also give a bonus to your employees whether they appear on camera or not.

Get as many guys on the card so they get a mania payday

The 'wrestlemania payday' concept is so carny. It's a massive global company now, give everyone a 'wrestlemania payday' regardless of their standing on the card in the way other companies give annual bonuses. The wrasslers all contribute to the build anyway, right? And I presume there's a level of performer where their pay has a low ceiling anyway.

Then concentrate on putting on a great show with great matches. You get more buys, everyone is happy.

I guess having clusterfuck title matches and the battle royal means they can get as many names on the card as possible mainly to grab the big fans of each of the wrestlers rather than give them a payday (why would WWE want to pay them more?).

klonere

Banned
84,000 tickets

Biggest gate of all time by gross

Undoubted record breaking Network sub numbers

Filling one of the biggest stadiums in the nation

Tons of very expensive travel/all-access/NXT/Hall of Fame combine tickets sold

The TV doesn't matter anymore friends, they could shit on a plate, stick the WWE logo on it, book it in the main event of Mania and it would have already sold out months in advance. You can't say "It's a bad build!!!" because they don't have to do anything at all, they aren't selling you on anything, they don't have to change anything.

Browny

Banned
The TV doesn't matter anymore friends, they could shit on a plate, stick the WWE logo on it, book it in the main event of Mania and it would have already sold out months in advance.
They already have...
289jfei.gif

bjork

The 'wrestlemania payday' concept is so carny. It's a massive global company now, give everyone a 'wrestlemania payday' regardless of their standing on the card in the way other companies give annual bonuses. The wrasslers all contribute to the build anyway, right? And I presume there's a level of performer where their pay has a low ceiling anyway.

Then concentrate on putting on a great show with great matches. You get more buys, everyone is happy.

Earlier in this thread, someone was asking "who the fuck is Diego" so idk if Diego should get the same cut as someone who people actually know, whether he's on the card or not.

Earlier in this thread, someone was asking "who the fuck is Diego" so idk if Diego should get the same cut as someone who people actually know, whether he's on the card or not.

Diego's the Matador! I just don't know what his partner's name is. Tito Santana?

Bandini

Wait, it's not going to be Owens / Zayn at Mania? Maybe they want to build it up more first then do it at Summerslam? What a disappointment.

I'm still looking forward to the women's match and Dean vs Brock, but I'm getting less excited the closer we get.

shanafan

Wait, it's not going to be Owens / Zayn at Mania? Maybe they want to build it up more first then do it at Summerslam? What a disappointment.

I'm still looking forward to the women's match and Dean vs Brock, but I'm getting less excited the closer we get.

Zayn should focus on his match with Shinsuke Nakamura first.

And, he really just joined the main roster. The guy doesn't deserve a push into a higher card singles match at Wrestlemania.

50-50 club needs to get some mania time.

Use offer code Heat at check out to get your heat back

Kaladin

I loved the crowd no selling Vince announcing that if Undertaker looses, this Wrestlemania will be his last. There was barely even an audible "oooh" from the crowd.

I loved the crowd no selling Vince announcing that if Undertaker looses, this Wrestlemania will be his last. There was barely even an audible "oooh" from the crowd.

The segment didn't have any meat to it whatsoever. Just Vince standing out there saying shit without the actual opponents being available. Still, I thought that crowd last night as shit anyway.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm confident in saying that Shane will win. I think something screwy will happen.

Also I am sure that someone else here brought up the other /r/squaredcircle 'insider'?

In the thread yesterday about Zack Ryder's big Wrestlemania plans, someone chimed in:
Is this where they announce the 7 man IC belt match with owens zayne zigg sin cara Miz stardust and ryder?

Zayn should focus on his match with Shinsuke Nakamura first.

And, he really just joined the main roster. The guy doesn't deserve a push into a higher card singles match at Wrestlemania.

I don't get why they have him on the main roster at all right now, it's actively hurting him. Instead of having him come in as Owen's blood rival he's debuting as a member of 50/50 club and it's going to get in the way of him getting over with fans who are unfamiliar with his previous work.

Having him focus on the Nak match is perfectly fine. Though why not wait and have him debut on the RAW after mania when the crowd will know who he is, be super hot and Owen's will look strong after a mania defence.

Sami versus Owens should have been building since the tumble with the big blow off at WM. Instead Zayn vanished for a month.

Right now I get that maybe they still want to introduce zayn to the raw audience and this is just setting up a longer frud between the two. Still not how I would have bookrd it but I get it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sami versus Owens should have been building since the tumble with the big blow off at WM. Instead Zayn vanished for a month.

Right now I get that maybe they still want to introduce zayn to the raw audience and this is just setting up a longer frud between the two. Still not how I would have bookrd it but I get it.
They are going to be fueding from now through eternity.

Top Bottom