• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

You guys remember Hogan/Piper? Age in the Cage?

Shane and Taker are a combined 9 years older than Hogan and Piper were when they had that

This is going to be legendary

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meltzer keeps getting carny-upset about stolen finishers.

Meltzer all but said that the Rock is showing up in the New Day match
Yeah, he's been saying for a while now that New Day/LON exists for a very particular reason. The numbers advantage gives it away pretty easily.

I thought it may have been for the introduction of Balor and his crew, but they're more likely to do that on the follow-up RAW.

a6a8d728_o.png

We'll never get another man like this.

Really. He was perfect in his prime. Even in his older years, he still had a shine to him.

As far as I'm concerned, no one can make an elbow drop from the top rope look as good as he did. It was a work of art.

Fake Edit: Found a really old promo of his against Lawler in Memphis-land.

"Jerry Lawler's dad is dead. He ain't healthy, man!"

sora87

I like that the US title holder is a wrestler recently spotlighted for a major ladder spot (and slammy award!) but defends his title against Ryback in what looks like the most dubious match up on the card.

Meanwhile the actual multi man ladder clusterfuck inserts itself into a potentially strong singles outing between Owens and Zayn.

Ah well.
I'm of the mindest that New Day/LoN was a good idea, they just executed it like booty as New Day would say.
It hurts knowing that the members of the League of Nations could easily match the comedic chops for some actual fun back and forth between the teams but instead get no promo time and just stand around glaring.

well okay, maybe not ADR.

Yeah, the ND and LoN thing just seemed to come out of nowhere and the build up has been rubbish when it could have been real good if done well.

They've also built up the reigns/HHH and Lesnar/Ambrose feuds for let down when they aren't as brutal as it's been lead to seem, both trips and reigns bleeding on raw and ambrose getting barb wire and chainsaws, the matches at mania won't be anything like that i think

bjork

Tomorrow will be a month since I quit drinking soda. I'm down 10 pounds. Only about a billion to go, but at least it's something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Has Meltzer said anything about the last match of Wrestlemania? Are they really going with Trips vs. Reigns to end the night?

He just said "well it should, it has the most interest." To me that says he doesn't actually know, although they did not that Jericho called it the main event like 4 times on Raw.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I sort of understand why they do it, but the whole "everyone needs to be in WrestleMania" thing is pretty detrimental.

I mean, I can see exactly why they do it: its to reward everyone on the roster for their work, but it just dilutes to fuck out of shit like the ladder match to have Zack Ryder in it.

jmdajr

I mean, I sort of understand why they do it, but the whole "everyone needs to be in WrestleMania" thing is pretty detrimental.

I mean, I can see exactly why they do it: its to reward everyone on the roster for their work, but it just dilutes to fuck out of shit like the ladder match to have Zack Ryder in it.

Can't disagree.

Triple H is in the main event / last match of WM. Come on son.

UNLESS the Untertaker is legit retiring here in which case he would still probably ask to stay on the undercard because he doesnt need to stroke his ego saying he retired in the main event of WM like HBK,

bjork

what if he wins

Fox318

Triple H is in the main evnet / last match of WM. Come on son.

UNLESS the Untertaker is legit retiring here in which case he would still probably ask to stay on the undercard because he doesnt need to stroke his ego saying he retired in the main event of WM like HBK,

Taker might be the one person who HHH would never have the pull to make him job.

There was no reason why Taker had to win at 17.

Angry Grimace

And as jmdajr mentioned, there were L's to Roman in there too. Plus if I remember right he needed an exploding LCD TV in order to beat Dean Ambrose. The last major feud that Bray Wyatt actually won was against Chris fucking Jericho in 2014. While Bray needs to win some feuds, he's also a solid case for why jobber matches need to come back.

I could see a good fit for Wyatt in Sami Zayn. That's a feud where he can go over in a series and make both guys look good and you can prevent them from

what if he wins

I would be highly surprised if the finale of that match is anything other than a few Zayn/Owens spots with Owens retaining the title because the match is comprised of one guy that is completely over, one guy who is semi-over, and 5 other guys who haven't been particularly popular since ~2011 and are currently contributing to the heat death of the WWE Universe.

Triple H is in the main event / last match of WM. Come on son.

I think they was Vince's call to have hbk retire in the main event due to the match at WM 25. Basically Hunter was like, how in the fuck are we supposed to put on something similar to that(he and Orton) so they let them have the main event.

Angry Grimace

Taker might be the one person who HHH would never have the pull to make him job.

There was no reason why Taker had to win at 17.

Taker's pretty carny, though. You guys always forget that a lot of these guys are very much about the BUSINESS and take it totally seriously. Sting signed a contract with a company he'd long been fantasized to work for to do the job to HHH at WrestleMania. That does not happen if Sting objects to it. Putting over the company or another guy when you leave has always been a thing.

E: goddamnit Alvarez brought up the "Vince dies" theory yet again and Meltzer finally told him that's dumb.

Lmfao Billy mad at slaughter for trying to check on Road Dogg. Told him don't even think about it. I'm glad he finally showed some character.

Had to edit, Swift key fucked up my sentence

bjork

I would be highly surprised if the finale of that match is anything other than a few Zayn/Owens spots with Owens retaining the title because the match is comprised of one guy that is completely over, one guy who is semi-over, and 5 other guys who haven't been particularly popular since ~2011 and are currently contributing to the heat death of the WWE Universe.

Wrasslin is about swerves, especially at big events. I wouldn't be surprised if neither Zayn or Owens come out a winner. Let them feud and use the title to prop up someone else, even if it's basically meaningless at this point.

Angry Grimace

Wrasslin is about swerves, especially at big events. I wouldn't be surprised if neither Zayn or Owens come out a winner. Let them feud and use the title to prop up someone else, even if it's basically meaningless at this point.

I don't see it.

Angry Grimace

This is why you'll never be on the booking team. You're thinking logically. Don't do that!

Everything they've done at WrestleMania in the last couple years has made sense, e.g. audibling into a cash-in, Bryan getting throw in the main event, etc. The only thing that seemed unlikely was Sting losing, but my guess is that Sting intended to go over later on.

Zach

Cagematch.net ratings update (through 1994):

JLl2nXI.png

P.S. I am disgusted that two people have given Survivor Series '94 a 10 out of 10. Look at this card:

Survivor Series Ten Man Tag Team Elimination Match
The Bad Guys (Fatu, Razor Ramon, Sionne, The 1-2-3 Kid & The British Bulldog) (w/Afa & Captain Lou Albano) vs. The Teamsters (Diesel, Jeff Jarrett, Jim Neidhart, Owen Hart & Shawn Michaels)

Survivor Series Eight Man Tag Team Elimination Match
Clowns 'R Us (Dink, Doink, Pink & Wink) vs. The Royal Family (Cheesy, Jerry Lawler, Queasy & Sleazy)

WWF World Heavyweight Title Submission Match
Bret Hart (w/The British Bulldog) (c) vs. Bob Backlund (w/Owen Hart)

Survivor Series Ten Man Tag Team Elimination Match
Guts And Glory (Adam Bomb, Bart Gunn, Billy Gunn, Lex Luger & Mabel) (w/Oscar) vs. The Million Dollar Team (Bam Bam Bigelow, Jimmy del Ray, King Kong Bundy, Tatanka & Tom Prichard) (w/Ted DiBiase)

Casket Match (Special Enforcer: Chuck Norris)
The Undertaker (w/Paul Bearer) vs. Yokozuna (w/James E. Cornette & Mr. Fuji)

Cagematch.net ratings update (through 1994):

JLl2nXI.png

P.S. I am disgusted that two people have given Survivor Series '94 a 10 out of 10. Look at this card:
Chuck Norris automatically means perfect.

Enough is enough and it's time for a change

*NoD theme*

So awesome

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just got WWE Network again. Any specific PPVs or programs you guys recommend outside of Attitude Era WWE?

Everything, really. Fuck the Attitude Era!

I highly recommend Legends of Wrestling Roundtable if you like to hear about ye olde dayes. Very good show. Also really enjoyed the Wrestlemania Rewind series, and I can't look away from Total Divas. That show is a mess and incredible.

bjork

Everything they've done at WrestleMania in the last couple years has made sense, e.g. audibling into a cash-in, Bryan getting throw in the main event, etc. The only thing that seemed unlikely was Sting losing, but my guess is that Sting intended to go over later on.

Bolds are rare exceptions where it was basically forced by audience reaction in the lead-up. Looking at everything else, does it really seem that it all made sense? The general tone of the thread about WWE product would be pretty different if that were the case.

Anywho, bedtime for this fella. My weekend is over now. :(

Chuck Norris automatically means perfect.

fuck that asshole, he dared to kick Double J

Kaladin

People love to put on rose tinted glasses for those traditional Survivor Series match-ups.

However, you know that Yokozuna vs Undertaker feud was hot.

People love to put on rose tinted glasses for those traditional Survivor Series match-ups.

However, you know that Yokozuna vs Undertaker feud was hot.
The way they kept Taker and Yokozuna away from each other until the first casket match was awesome. And how they made Taker lose, he was still credible! Even though the Casket match is HIS match. Then the two stayed away from each other again until this match. That was great booking.

UberTag

Crazy idea... but maybe they should give the entire roster a Mania bonus regardless of whether they're inserted into a nothing match for a 30-second spot or not. Like, does Tyler Breeze deserve a Mania bonus because he spends a hiccup in the ARMBAR before The Ascension eliminates him? No. It's an arbitrary thing. Just give them the bonus without fucking up the card of your biggest show of the year. Did they go out of their way to give The Brooklyn Brawler a spot on the Mania card back in the early 90s so he could get a Mania bonus? No, they didn't.

kiguel182

Crazy that we are two weeks away from what they call the biggest Wrestlemania of all time and this is the Raw we got. Abysmal stuff.

The crowd couldn't care less for Roman. He got boos or no reaction. Him being all psycho on HHH didn't made me more interested for that match.

Styles and Jericho repeated their Smackdown segment and are going to face each other for the fourth time in like 1 month. They also failed to get the audience chant AJ Styles. Sad.

The IC ladder match. I don't even. They are just doing it to stick as much guys as possible at Mania. Zayn vs Owens would be a better match in every way possible.

Women's triple threat is going to be great and I think that's it. That's the only match I'm not "meh" at.

Mania itself might be fun (parts of it always are) but the build and everything is abysmal. Low effort across the table.

Top Bottom