• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

MisterR

I meant for faces, but point taken.

In the case of Dean and Roman, I think their ring work is close enough that the other aspects are the deciding factor. Dean gets a lot of flak for his bad looking punches and goofy style, but the man always turns it up for big matches.

Roman is much better in the ring than Dean.

Fox318

Lil Naich was pretty good on the podcast.

Also kinda shows how producers and even Vince Fuck around too much.

They don't even know what rules are going on one week or the next.

RBH

tumblr_o461e4CCmy1snmvb8o1_400.gif

Jumped out of my seat when that occurred.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Dean has a shit moveset, but he is in a lot of good to great matches. Given, a lot of that is due to working with Rollins and Owens, but there are a lot of Dean matches I've watched multiple times. Roman Reigns has one I have watched multiple times, and thats because of how happy I was when Rollins cashed in on him.

Has Reigns had a match with Owens or Rollins 1v1 yet? Maybe working with someone better might put him on Dean's level for me.
Roman had a great match with Daniel Bryan last year.

Roman is much better in the ring than Dean.

I'm not even hating half as much as most people on Roman. I think it's unfortunate he's being pushed to a level where he shouldn't exist and I almost feel for him in that regard because he must be aware.

But Dean is far more entertaining to watch in the ring. He does so many weird little things to sell stuff and has a more interesting and kinetic presence.

MisterR

I'm not even hating half as much as most people on Roman. I think it's unfortunate he's being pushed to a level where he shouldn't exist and I almost feel for him in that regard because he must be aware.

But Dean is far more entertaining to watch in the ring. He does so many weird little things to sell stuff and has a more interesting and kinetic presence.

To each his own. I don't find Dean's weak ass slap punches and clotheslines entertaining or kinetic. His warmed over Roddy Piper impression isn't great either. Basically a lot of people like him because he's not Roman.

Mahonay

Banned
A guy's a legend if he can make any fight seem exciting

Dean Ambrose is not now, nor will he ever be, a legend
No one has ever been able to make Braun look good. He's too green and too fucking big. The only exciting thing that has ever happened with him was at the Rumble, Brock stiffing the living fuck out of him when Braun was barely selling his offense.

Barrage

Lol he was fighting Braun Strawman. Of course that's what happened.

HHH had crowds on the edge of their seat against Taka Michinoku.

And Eugene.

Ambrose ain't even the guy when it comes to crowd reaction. And other then that (for the moment), Reigns is head and shoulders better in the ring right now.

Mahonay

Banned
HHH had crowds on the edge of their seat against Taka Michinoku.

And Eugene.

Ambrose ain't even the guy when it comes to crowd reaction. And other then that (for the moment), Reigns is head and shoulders better in the ring right now.
Not the same, at all. You can do regular wrestling moves with those guys.

Also what? Ambrose usually gets pretty big pops.
Zandig, 9th Wonder of the World.

Fox318

Only thing I'm not a big fan on Ambrose is his outfit and his promos with regards to pushing a program.

Main eventers should dress like a main eventer. Leave the street clothes and cosplay vests at home.

Barrage

Not the same, at all. You can do regular wrestling moves with those guys.

Also what? Ambrose usually gets pretty big pops.

"usually gets pretty big pops." Well then shit, give Titus O' Neil a run.

Da fuck? The excuse is he's too big? Then you work small. See: Bret Hart. Shit, Reigns managed to have a good match with the Big Show.

I'm not saying Ambrose is horrible. I'm saying that the only reason Smarks want him as "the guy" is because he's not Roman. Which isn't a good enough reason.

Mahonay

Banned

Da fuck? The excuse is he's too big? Then you work small. See: Bret Hart. Shit, Reigns managed to have a good match with the Big Show.

I'm not saying Ambrose is horrible. I'm saying that the only reason Smarks want him as "the guy" is because he's not Roman. Which isn't a good enough reason.
Big Show is like 10 times the wrestler as Braun. Come on now.

Also I'm not really thinking about comparing Ambrose and Roman either in the ring. I agree that Reigns is actually better in the ring in several areas.

When it comes to the whole package, I think Ambrose has it more than Reigns at this given moment. That can quickly change. And no, I do not think Ambrose deserves the top spot right now. Just like Reigns doesn't on his current trajectory.

No one has ever been able to make Braun look good. He's too green and too fucking big. The only exciting thing that has ever happened with him was at the Rumble, Brock stiffing the living fuck out of him when Braun was barely selling his offense.

I'm going to have to do a rare thing and agree with Barrage here. HHH was able to do a pretty great surprise match with the fucking Brooklyn Brawler. Even the Brock/Braun Rumble exchange was memorable.

Ambrose won't ever be able to do that. I'm sorry. I know a lot of you want him to be A Guy, or The Guy, or even just A Legend. The latter's just never going to happen. Reigns is up for debate, although he admittedly hasn't gotten off to a good receptive start.

Fox318

I was never a fan of Roman but I don't think his i ring work was completely the issue with him.

He is essentially Johnny B Badd. He can be over using specific moves sets and working matches but if you ask him to do anything different he is lost out there and his act gets old after 18 minutes. That;s why they removed him from the Rumble like they did. As a face champ they wanted him out first for the entrance and the fighting champion factor but he isn't as good as a HBK or Benoit to seem believable out there for 50 minutes.

Roman's promo ability, his scripting, his presentation, and outside factors (backlash at creative over perceived squandering of Daniel Bryan's career, Cena having his best year in a long time while Roman is booked as Cena's replacement, stale presentation and a commentary team featuring 0 talent or trust with the audience).

Plus Reigns was never in a feud in the past year with a good worker that would make him shine. Notice how Seth can work super flippy dippy as a face but as a heel he sticks to ground attacks and less flashy stuff.

Closest person who probably could work a match like that with him is Cesaro or Seth Rollins and both of those probably would have overshadowed him with fan support.

Bottom line is last years Rumble should have been won by somebody with momentum coming into the rumble and the only 2 that would have made sense were Bryan, Ambrose, and Ziggler (coming off good matches at TLC and survivor series.

Roman didn't have any steam because of shit creative and his injury.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm going to have to do a rare thing and agree with Barrage here. HHH was able to do a pretty great surprise match with the fucking Brooklyn Brawler. Even the Brock/Braun Rumble exchange was memorable.

Ambrose won't ever be able to do that. I'm sorry. I know a lot of you want him to be A Guy, or The Guy, or even just A Legend. The latter's just never going to happen. Reigns is up for debate, although he admittedly hasn't gotten off to a good receptive start.
Lol it has zero to do with me wanting to Ambrose to be the top guy, BECAUSE I DON'T.

I honestly think Braun is worse than all of the jobbers you guys are listing. Braun's wrestling ability is embarrassingly low. Like the dude should not be on the main roster on TV, he should be spending another year at least in development.

Also the only reason the exchange he had with Brock at the Rumble was exciting because Brock decided he was going to just stuff him because Braun's grasp on the concept of selling is very loose.
Saying dean is bad for having a bad match with stroman is like saying Flair/taker suck for having bad matches with el gigante
FUCKING THIS.

Fox318

Saying dean is bad for having a bad match with stroman is like saying Flair/taker suck for having bad matches with el gigante

That's part of the problem.

Despite HHH creating this place for guys to learn their craft and become capable workers they still bring up dudes base on their size.

I mean looking back The Giant was a better booked and better ring worker than Braun was at this point.

Barrage

Despite HHH creating this place for guys to learn their craft and become capable workers they still bring up dudes base on their size.

I mean looking back The Giant was a better booked and better ring worker than Braun was at this point.

Noone said Dean was bad for having a bad match, but if your argument is the guy's connection with the crowd then the crowd should be excited to see him, even against a stiff.

As for Giant, the Giant when he was young was a one-in-a-generation prospect. if Braun had the tools Big Show had then he'd be main eventing. The problem is the Giant got lazy and complacent (as well as not politicing to defend his character, a problem Reigns also has.}

MG310

Yeah, I'd honestly recommend stopping watching his run at all after that event. There's no really positive or happy part that comes next, with or without hindsight

There's his title feud consisting of him being scared by Kane and then headbutting him off a fucking forklift, causing him to be gone for months
Him coming back, saying he's going to be in the Rumble, and getting eliminated in 10 minutes by Bray Wyatt and walking up the ramp sad while Goldust's "Shattered Dreams" tron plays
Him raising Reigns' hand
Him playing keep away with Barrett's belt for 5 weeks
Him winning Barrett's belt in a ladder match with headbutts, having one more match with headbutts, getting hurt again and having one last tag match (with no headbutts! so at least an improvement!) to end it all

Don't forget that match with Harper where he took at least one ridiculous suplex onto his neck and Harper's snake-eyes variant which never looks like it won't kill somebody.

True.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Guy is Seth Rollins, he's just hurt. I mean, he already had his moment so there's nothing to exploit there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A guy's a legend if he can make any fight seem exciting

Dean Ambrose is not now, nor will he ever be, a legend

He's popular enough he'll eventually get a title run. His in-ring work being mediocre at best is probably why they're trying to turn him into some kind of Mick Foley character.

He's popular enough he'll eventually get a title run. As an in-ring guy you're right that he's unlikely to just randomly become great though which is why they're trying to turn him into some kind of Mick Foley character.

The way they are doing that and the promos with Funk, etc. are we expecting a bloody or ECWish match at WrestleMania? What was up with the way Dean went and stood next to Heyman sort of eyeing him down at the end of the most recent Raw?

Also, he's fighting Lesnar who has bladed in the past, if I'm not mistaken.

Fox318

Noone said Dean was bad for having a bad match, but if your argument is the guy's connection with the crowd then the crowd should be excited to see him, even against a stiff.

As for Giant, the Giant when he was young was a one-in-a-generation prospect. if Braun had the tools Big Show had then he'd be main eventing. The problem is the Giant got lazy and complacent (as well as not politicing to defend his character, a problem Reigns also has.}

Giant also got a cool ass jumping choke slam and didn't dress like a jockey.

Booking and the presentation got him over and they used that to work for him.

Braun's finish is supposed to get everyone to say "Look how tall he is"

Dean does suck, all his good matches is him really get carried. His match against ramen in the tournament was also terrible. The only thing he does in matches is bring down the quality of the matches, with his sloppy punches, stupid moves, the way he runs like an clown in the ring and making dumb faces because hes such a crazy lunatic. Most overrated guy on the roster tbh.

Son Of D

The way they are doing that and the promos with Funk, etc. are we expecting a bloody or ECWish match at WrestleMania? What was up with the way Dean went and stood next to Heyman sort of eyeing him down at the end of the most recent Raw?

Also, he's fighting Lesnar who has bladed in the past, if I'm not mistaken.
It's safe to assume that Lesnar/Ambrose will be the most violent match on the card. The Foley/Funk promos, Dean's character being crazy, Lesnar being brutal plus Dean's CZW background.

As for the Heyman ending, I'm guessing that's a "Look what I did to Strowman. I'll do that to Lesnar" kind of thing.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
The Guy is Seth Rollins, he's just hurt. I mean, he already had his moment so there's nothing to exploit there.

Rollins is definitely the man right now. His injury is by far the worst injury for fucking up Mania. I've said many times his absence in the HHH/Roman feud is the biggest problem with it. Ideally it wouldn't even be HHH/Roman but rather Rollins/Roman or HHH/Rollins/Roman.

Top Bottom