• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Cagey

Banned
Charity is good, no matter how you feel about who gets awarded. WWE being charitable is a win-win situation.

Given Warrior wanted to acknowledge and honor the ring crew and lighting technicians and costume designers and the like with awards at the Hall of Fame ceremony, it's a pity the WWE has ignored that request for a generic feel-good-story award instead of doing both.

Both can and should exist.

Charity is good, no matter how you feel about who gets awarded. WWE being charitable is a win-win situation.

As I've said before, I don't have issue with companies being charitable. I do have issues when companies boast about how charitable they are to improve their standing, and with WWE being no good down and dirty wrasslin, they seemingly go above and beyond with their bragging.

Again:
Do-Gooders-Dont-Need-to-Brag-Is-Brand-Philanthropy-Sincere-Or-Just-Another-Marketing-Strategy.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
Except the part where Susan G Komen is one of the more sleazy charities out there. Even NFL dropped them.
Given Warrior wanted to acknowledge and honor the ring crew and lighting technicians and costume designers and the like with awards at the Hall of Fame ceremony, it's a pity the WWE has ignored that request for a generic feel-good-story award instead of doing both.

Agreed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Agree

As I've said before, I don't have issue with companies being charitable. I do have issues when companies boast about how charitable they are to improve their standing, and with WWE being no good down and dirty wrasslin, they seemingly go above and beyond with their bragging.

Why? They're helping people. Let them help.

Except the part where Susan G Koman is one of the more sleazy charities out there. Even NFL dropped them.

I've had two people I know have their lives saved due to them. They don't FEEL sleazy to me based on personal experience. Both people were able to afford surgery they would NOT have ever been able to get previously that saved their lives. I won't hate em, because they kept people in my life.

Agree

Why? They're helping people. Let them help.

I've had two people I know have their lives saved due to them. They don't FEEL sleazy to me based on personal experience. Both people were able to afford surgery they would NOT have ever been able to get previously that saved their lives. I won't hate em, because they kept people in my life.

My apologies, Vince, as I didn't know. Very glad to hear it, though.

Anyway, surprised that there's no celebrity inductee this yeah, I guess Joan Lunden sort of counts, though. Maybe Regis declined?

kiguel182

WWE distorting the words of someone's last wish is gross no matter the purpose. They can give to charity AND honor his wish, they are not exclusive things. This award situation is gross all around.

Mahonay

Banned
That's awesome to hear Sunny. No doubt they still assist and help people that are in need. Lives still get saved and that's the whole point of any of this.

They put a curiously high percentage of their funding towards "awareness" which doubles as advertising campaigns for the foundation. Also their executives earn quite a bit. Never sat right with me. It's the business side of them that I dislike. Obviously they still do good work though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's awesome to hear man. No doubt they still assist and help people that are in need. Lives still get saved and that's the whole point of any of this.

They put a curiously high percentage of their funding towards "awareness" which doubles as advertising campaigns for the foundation. Also their executives earn quite a bit. Never sat right with me. It's the business side of them that I dislike.

Believe me, I was on the other side of the fence just going off of what people had said - basically advertising and their salaries they pay out felt excessive. But personal experience ended up, well, "trumping" everything else in the end. Ended up with a "Well, they can't be all bad, because they came through in the most clutch of ways for two people that absolutely needed it" so I won't decry them too much.

Now if you wanna talk United Way, I've still got a hate-on for them...

Mahonay

Banned
Believe me, I was on the other side of the fence just going off of what people had said - basically advertising and their salaries they pay out felt excessive. But personal experience ended up, well, "trumping" everything else in the end. Ended up with a "Well, they can't be all bad, because they came through in the most clutch of ways for two people that absolutely needed it" so I won't decry them too much.

Oh man United Way has an all sorts of shady history.

And yeah, I sure as hell wouldn't put down Susan G Komen after that either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man United Way has an all sorts of shady history.

And yeah, I sure as hell wouldn't put down Susan G Komen after that either.

Did the NFL ever drop the United Way? My childhood spent watching tons of football saw tons of United Way ads.

Any large charity organization will have stuff going on like that unfortunately. It's especially hard to hit that scale without paying people a good wage to handle all the overhead that comes with it. I like to think these execs are making less than average, but who knows.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, this whole thing is even beyond Meltzer speculation levels of internet craziness.

We have a guy who runs a low level wrestling podcast who has broken some stories and claims to have set on others make some tweet on his personal account "not knowing the reach it would have" about a major story in wrestling, then he backtracks and says he wants nothing to do with it and wasn't looking for twitter followers or clickbait.

At this point, I'm willing to accept that he thinks there is a story there that could ruin some reputations of people currently in the industry. But it's likely of a personal nature like someone struggling with an addiction or someone being racist or something of that nature and when you look at it, it's not really "newsworthy". It might be worth a story in someone's shoot interview, but that's about it.

I bet if we hear about it, we'll likely know that it was this, roll our eyes and keep on with our lives.
Dude wants attention without any of the downsides. Shit or get off the pot.

Mahonay

Banned
Any large charity organization will have stuff going on like that unfortunately. It's especially hard to hit that scale without paying people a good wage to handle all the overhead that comes with it. I like to think these execs are making less than average, but who knows.
United Way has a history of legit corruption and fraud. I wouldn't give them a hand waving kind of pass.
Dude wants attention without any of the downsides. Shit or get off the pot.
So, the majority of Reddit.

MC Safety

Susan Koman also spends a lot of time and money instigating lawsuits against rival charities. It's got its turf and it protects it vigorously.

Susan Koman also spends a lot of time and money instigating lawsuits against rival charities. It's got its turf and it protects it vigorously.

Aside from totally ignoring the actual intentions of the Warrior (honouring backstage folk who never get proper recognition), both recipients of the "Warrior Award" seem to be especially self-serving.

The optics are bad, nobody could really criticize the choice of Connor, but Susan G Komen is a closely affiliated partner of the WWE and awarding one of their people appears more of a smart cross-promotional strategy than actually recognizing the good deeds of someone from the community.

Fox318

I don't know if its a smart idea to name the charity good will award after somebody traveling college to college trying to spread his word that gay people are evil.

Everything about the award, the company giving the award, the man the award is named for , and the original purpose of the award being ignored feels wrong.

This is the same company that used death by drug overdose in an angle last year.

kiguel182

I don't know if its a smart idea to name the charity good will award after somebody traveling college to college trying to spread his word that gay people are evil.

Everything about the award, the company giving the award, the man the award is named for , and the original purpose of the award being ignored feels wrong.

This is the same company that used death by drug overdose in an angle last year.

Pretty much what I feel about all of this.

Mahonay

Banned

Yeeeeep. Naming if after Warrior is immediately a problem for me.

Kaladin

If you're going to have a charity award, is it too much to ask to make the recipient wrestling related? Most other things tend to at least associate their business with the charity they're helping.

You could understand Conner as he was a big fan and made an impact on them when he had his Make-A-Wish moment.

This year, there is nothing. No connection to wrestling or Warrior. Just a minor connection in that WWE works with SGK to show that they are charitable.

Could this woman embody the spirit of a warrior? Sure....but you could say that for all breast cancer survivors, and I'd bet if you dig you can find one with a wrestling connection.

Fox318

Wouldn't DDP getting an award be a good example of a cross between charity and wrestling?

Or even Chris Nowinski? Though there is a pretty big conflict of interest there.

People holding on to this "big news " is so dumb. Ether report it or don't saying anything.

Crying wolf about a big scoop Is dumb(by all about s its real)

JavyOO7

Its probably like any other big news. Just gotta verify with several people. Though the way that dude handled it was rather silly, I agree.

As for the discussion about Seth's theme from a day or two back, I'd love for him to come out to this. Construct the set exactly how it is in the video, have the same announcers, everything. So many buys, god dammit. And this is coming from someone who really likes the CFO$ themes.

kiguel182

Breaking someone's leg because they didn't sell long enough? Wrestling's politics are the worst.

EDIT: Shit, Cade died at 30 years old.

This weeks WOR news

TNA found an investor but Dixie refused to sell because the invested wanted a majority stake

LU season 3 debuts
AR fox, Sami Callahan and bestia 666

Also FENIX got a broken nose,Mao idea if it's major

Tom Nook

This weeks WOR news

TNA found an investor but Dixie refused to sell because the invested wanted a majority stake

LU season 3 debuts
AR fox, Sami Callahan and bestia 666

Also FENIX got a broken nose,Mao idea if it's major

Dixie, GTFO of the wresting business. Please!

You'll never succeed in this. :(

JTG's new book is out

CeooKUfWQAAokGl.jpg

According To cagematch the opponents were Cade and murdoch
I just finished reading his first book and it really pissed me off. Shad was an idiot, his parts pissed me off. Lance and Trevor were pricks. I learned nothing new about Triple H. The story about Vince was hilarious. I'll pick up the new book probably tonight.

Reigns, the former college football star, framed boos from the typically vocal males and cheers from the typically family-oriented fans as “away” and “home” crowds. In a comment that points to a lot of vocal males’s frustration with the current WWE product, Reigns said he’s not worried about the “away” fans because WWE is a “kids show.”

“Typically if you hear the boos, it generally is grown men my age and I’m not really in this business for the grown men,” Reigns said. “I’m in this business for the families. That’s what we are; we’re a PG product. We’re a family-based product. We’re here to entertain families and give them enjoyment. If you’re a 30-year-old man and you want to flip me off at a kids show, then, hey, like I said, you paid your money but just be careful because you could get kicked out.”
http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2016/03...m32-lack-wwe-off-season-ring-entrance-change/

Dr Dre made a song about this cry baby. It's track 13 from 2001.

Mr powder puff, your bark ain't loud enough.

Top Bottom