• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

kiguel182

WWE is a kids show that is watched mostly by people older than 18 years old according to their demographics.

Also, it's a kids show that is constantly pandering to people who have watched it for 10+ years.

But sure, it's a kids show.

I bet kids were super hyped when Shane returned. That pop was all kids.

Fox318

WWE is a kids show that is watched mostly by people older than 18 years old according to their demographics.

Also, it's a kids show that is constantly pandering to people who have watched it for 10+ years.

But sure, it's a kids show.

I bet kids were super hyped when Shane returned. That pop was all kids.

with storylines about drug overdoses and belittling people based on their size.

Kaladin

It's also a kid's show where kid friendly characters wear dildos on their heads and call everything booty and promote Booty-O's Cereal.

kiguel182

with storylines about drug overdoses and belittling people based on their size.

It's also a kid's show where kid friendly characters wear dildos on their heads and call everything booty and promote Booty-O's Cereal.

I bet kids loved when Foley and Funk gave Ambrose their signature weapons. Two wrestlers who retired from WWE before most kids were even born.

That was totally for kids.

So someone on Reddit made a list of the biggest scum bags in wrestling

New Jack, murdered several people, attempted to attack and kill other wrestlers, general sadist.

Grizzly Smith, father of Jake Roberts, impregnated Roberts' mother while she was twelve.

Fabulous Moolah, longest reigning woman's champion of all time. Aside from Hogan-esque assholery (and being single handedly responsible for women's wrestling being in the state it is), she pimped out women from her training school (which she didn't teach at) to promoters in the territories era to retain her backstage political power. Victims include Sensational Sherri, Sweet Georgia Brown and Luna Vachon. She also intentionally got many girls addicted to drugs to control them, and raped them along with her husband.

Carlos Colon, covered up the murder of Bruiser Brody who was stabbed in a shower backstage at Colon's promotion.

Invader No.1, did the stabbing mentioned above, he murdered Bruiser Brody in a shower and was acquitted under dubious circumstances.

Flawless Jay Phoenix, a smaller indy wrestler, he was caught going into public bathrooms and molesting children.

Buck Zumhoff, a notorious pedophile, he had sex with a minor and was jailed, but while on parole it was discovered he had imprisoned his daughter for twelve years and sexually molested her countless times. He also attempted to escape police custody when arrested.

Jimmy Savile, probably the world's most notorious pedophile, he was a tv host who ran a show called 'Jim'll Fix It' where he would make children's dreams come true (not dissimilar to the make a wish foundation, but the kids weren't dying, most of the time). His crimes only came to public light after his death, and spanned a period of 1955 to 2009, with 214 different criminal cases. He was a professional wrestler prior to his rise to fame, and is more famous for his tv work.

Chris Benoit, I assume you know about this, he murdered his son and wife due to brain damage resulting from years of blows to the head.

La Dama Del Silencio, Juana Barraza was sentenced to 759 years in jail after she was convicted of murdering eleven elderly women, though she's believed to be linked to up to forty deaths. She was possibly Mexico's most prolific serial killer and was also nicknamed La Mataviejitas (meaning "The Old Lady Killer")

So I was reading about X Pac having Hep C on a forum and came across this,

X-Pac isn't the only person still wrestling with a blood borne disease. There was a wrestler from the Midwest who had HIV that wasn't discovered until a WWE medical screening showed it. Plus some wrestlers are hard drug users and perform in death matches. That's one of the dangers of wrestling.

Does anyone know who that wrestler is?

klonere

Banned
Roman says the show is for kids.

WWE tries to present their product as a sport that's competing with the NFL.

Makes sense.

iXuhAdd.gif

Beyond meaningless MAGGLE WE GOT THE TWITTER FOLLOWERS > THAN NFL HAHA they sure as fuck don't present themselves as anything approaching a sport.

kiguel182

iXuhAdd.gif

Beyond meaningless MAGGLE WE GOT THE TWITTER FOLLOWERS > THAN NFL HAHA

That and sending WWE belts to sports dudes.

And being on Sportcenter.

And screaming "ESPN HIGHLIGHTS" every time something more acrobatic happens.

They want to be a sport so badly it hurts.

Sephzilla

WWE wants all of the benefits of being viewed as a sport (social media exposure, ESPN and Sportscenter segments, and wants a TV deal on par with a sports deal) but simultaneously does stuff that reminds you its not a sport constantly like calling everyone SPORTS ENTERTAINERS instead of wrestlers and dodging the world wrestling as much as they can.

Menome

Not sure if Benoit counts as a 'scumbag'. That implies ongoing intent to harm others around you.

What he did was horrendous, but it came out of the blue and is strongly suspected to be linked to a severe medical issue. It's not in the same sort of area as the others in that post.

Luschient

This "potential major news" mess is really distracting me from work today.

Although I'm sure, in the end, I'll be let down by it (whatever it is).

Cagey

Banned
Here's the inconvenient truth for the people annoyed with Reigns: Reigns is right.

WWE sees itself as a product for children.

WWE's perception of itself is its reality.

We're the older cohort driving My Little Pony ratings yet annoyed we're not pandered to.

We're fucking bronies, guys.

klonere

Banned
That and sending WWE belts to sports dudes.

And being on Sportcenter.

And screaming "ESPN HIGHLIGHTS" every time something more acrobatic happens.

They want to be a sport so badly it hurts.

They want the sports coverage that's true but they don't make a concerted effort to present the show like a sporting broadcast or emphasize any sports elements, like say making wins and losses matter, not having people be distracted by an opponents music, champions being the best wrestlers, importance put on mechanics of a match etc etc etc.

Here's the link to the interview: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-roman-reigns-wwe-20160327-story.html

Q: Why do you think you're still getting that negative reaction from some people? It seems like the most vocal people are mostly guys.

A: "I think there's a few different reasons why. You could name a bunch of them. I don't think we could actually put a finger on one and say this is the reason why. Typically if you hear the boos, it generally is grown men my age and I'm not really in this business for the grown men. (laughs) I'm in this business for the families. That's what we are; we're a PG product. We're a family-based product. We're here to entertain families and give them enjoyment. If you're a 30-year-old man and you want to flip me off at a kids show, then, hey, like I said, you paid your money but just be careful because you could get kicked out."

Q: Has it ever bothered you when it comes to the reaction from the fans or it is something you've been able to put aside?

A: "There's nothing to complain about as far as reaction, because we're storytelling here and not everybody is going to have the same opinion about the story. My only concern is you're setting a bad example. I've seen grown men flip me off and there were children right there. There's a guy who got kicked out of one of the shows because I'm pretty sure he was drunk. He's going nuts, screaming and cussing, acting like a fool when there's children right next to him. That's something we have to keep in mind. A lot of times, these pay-per-views and Monday Night Raws, they're on school nights so it is a lot more of a grown-up feel. I think if you pick and choose and just think with logic, everything will be all right. That's just one thing, you have to be concerned with the example we're setting. At a show, I'm not the only role model. These kids are sitting next to these other grown-ups and they're seeing how these people act. That's just a reflection of what they see and they probably act the same way."
He said they're a family based product and they are. "Kids show" was in reference to some 30 year old getting kicked out for flipping him off. I don't see how he said anything wrong here.

Here's the inconvenient truth for the people annoyed with Reigns: Reigns is right.

We're the older cohort driving My Little Pony ratings yet annoyed we're not pandered to.

This is the dark future we deserves.

Bronx-Man

Banned

But it's not. The average Raw viewer is in their mid-40s.

bbd23

it really doesnt feel like mania is happening and this will be the go home edition of RAW

NXT Dallas should be amazing though!

dream

Of course WWE wants to be a sport. They also want to be an entertainment product. Recall that video where Vince said, "we're in the movie business." Think about the bizarre, unnatural, circumlocutious terms, like "superstars," "divas," etc. that are deployed in order to avoid acknowledging what they really are: a professional wrestling promotion.

That's because Vince knows that professional wrestling, much like monster trucks, or--as Cagey pointed out--My Little Pony, is an attraction aimed at children and social miscreants. I don't think Roman is wrong; I think he's being diplomatic.

it really doesnt feel like mania is happening and this will be the go home edition of RAW

NXT Dallas should be amazing though!

Worst build to a Mania I've ever seen. Even when they had horrible stuff like Cole vs Lawler or whatever it was, it had better build. Also celebrity involvement seems non existent this year. It seems like when Cena got hurt they just gave up.

kiguel182

But it's not. The average Raw viewer is in their mid-40s.

I don't think it's hard to see that WWE keeps pandering to old people. If you can't see it then you are either blind or trolling.

WWE says it's for kids and panders to old people at the same time. They are either lying when it's convenient or are stupid. I like to believe it's the first.

WWE is crap, don't get me wrong, but saying a product that keeps referencing 20 year old events is for kids is hilarious.

Bandini

I may have worked myself into some unreasonable expectations for Nakamura/Zayn. If I'm disappointed this weekend, it won't be because of Mania.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I had a dream that I was at WrestleMania and the New Day lost the tag titles

this is odd because the tag titles aren't even on the line

Zach

I'm starting to get excited about going to NXT.

Gable. JJ. Finn. Joe. Nakamura. Sami. Asuka. Bayley!

Man. It's gonna be fun.

Top Bottom