• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Nekofrog

Banned
The only thing I can say to that is that Chyna was very high up on the card in 1999.

A program with Chyna means you're probably just treading water at that point in his career.

It's the exact same story that Chyna had with Jeff Jarrett so far, beat for beat, but "darker".

Pikma

Banned
This just gets a lot funnier when you realize that Kofi Kingston's Sheamus impression just makes him sound like a Jamaican pirate.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOjaRTOA5Y0
Holy shit these videos keep getting better

Ithil

Don't understand the reticence myself. I like to see a chick get slayed by an accomplished swordsman. Hell, I take mental notes.

Can't agree. There are some pretty dumb finishers out there, but using your ass to give somebody a concussion isn't one of them. And I'm gonna be real, Asuka doesn't get anywhere near as much elevation on hers as Naomi does. In comparison, you could say Asuka's are "half-assed."

Probably because Asuka actually jumps at the opponent, as opposed to Naomi jumping up in the air while the opponent slowly runs into her.

BFIB

Having watched Jericho in WCW, the stuff he was doing there was fantastic. He then goes to the WWF, gets a HUGE reception during his debut and dueling Rock promo. Then he proceeds to get jobbed out to almost everyone, including Chyna. Right now where I'm at, he kidnapped Chyna, tied her up to a chair and crushed her hand with a hammer. I don't remember where it goes from here, but it was a really dark sequence that was uncomfortable to watch on a wrestling program.

What a waste. I know the official WWE line from the company and Jericho in all the docs is "Jericho came and didn't have any fire for a long time and puttered around because he wasn't trying hard enough" but the crap they're having him do is insane.

What's even more insane? Jericho's STILL getting huge face pops when he's supposed to be the heel. He's constantly berating the crowd, doing abhorrent things, and the crowd cheers it. His segments aren't nearly as entertaining as they were in WCW because they're just having him do horrible TV. It's like, you guys just stole one of WCW's most entertaining guys and the crowd is bursting at the seams to cheer this guy on because they know what he CAN do and the WWF is doing these awful things with him.

luckily they smartened up with him eventually but man, what a waste 1999 was for Jericho so far.

Yeah, Jericho '99 after his debut was pretty disappointing. Heck, I think after his debut, two months later he's not even on a PPV. Some will argue its Vinny Mac making him "pay his dues", but Jericho said on repeated occasions that Vince really does keep the mindset that what you carried in the past, doesn't hold squat once your in his company.

Nekofrog

Banned
AE Podcast has good conversations about this; the short version is Vincent wanted him to pay his dues. Which he did very well, given his late 99 and 2000 work.

I should listen to this thing sometime. My thoughts are based purely on the rewatch my wife and I are doing right now.

Out of nowhere my wife started reciting the rock's jelly donut promo, word for word,as it was playing on our tv. Apparently her and her brothers had it memorized as kids because threy found it so funny and I didn't even remember it. It was weird.

Zach

Having watched Jericho in WCW, the stuff he was doing there was fantastic. He then goes to the WWF, gets a HUGE reception during his debut and dueling Rock promo. Then he proceeds to get jobbed out to almost everyone, including Chyna. Right now where I'm at, he kidnapped Chyna, tied her up to a chair and crushed her hand with a hammer. I don't remember where it goes from here, but it was a really dark sequence that was uncomfortable to watch on a wrestling program.

What a waste. I know the official WWE line from the company and Jericho in all the docs is "Jericho came and didn't have any fire for a long time and puttered around because he wasn't trying hard enough" but the crap they're having him do is insane.

What's even more insane? Jericho's STILL getting huge face pops when he's supposed to be the heel. He's constantly berating the crowd, doing abhorrent things, and the crowd cheers it. His segments aren't nearly as entertaining as they were in WCW because they're just having him do horrible TV. It's like, you guys just stole one of WCW's most entertaining guys and the crowd is bursting at the seams to cheer this guy on because they know what he CAN do and the WWF is doing these awful things with him.

luckily they smartened up with him eventually but man, what a waste 1999 was for Jericho so far.

Even as a WCW Jericho superfan, I am still surprised that Jericho entered the WWF going after The Rock. Jericho was a mid-card guy in WCW. It seemed weird. I don't really remember what happened after his debut, so I look forward to reliving the change from WCW to WWF. Should be fun.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even as a WCW Jericho superfan, I am still surprised that Jericho entered the WWF going after The Rock. Jericho was a mid-card guy in WCW. It seemed weird. I don't really remember what happened after his debut, so I look forward to reliving the change from WCW to WWF. Should be fun.

Jericho's final WCW gimmick though was that he thought he was a main eventer.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still assume every new guy has to pay their dues no matter how established they were elsewhere, even now.

I mean, unless you look like Brock Lesnar or something.

Nekofrog

Banned

Yeah it was pretty surprising that his debut would be with the rock, but it makes sense. The big show and Jericho were two major acquisitions mostly because it was usually wcw picking up wwf guys instead, so they might as well show it off big time. It's like they were super proud of themselves to finally be stealing talent instead of having it stolen from them, but they didn't actually care about the talent they were stealing

I think people were 100% ready for Jericho to come in and be an upper tier mid carder or lower tier top of the card player, but vince wasnt ready to give that exposure to another companies mid carder

I still assume every new guy has to pay their dues no matter how established they were elsewhere, even now.

I mean, unless you look like Brock Lesnar or something.

According to his book, Jericho was acting like an ass just because he had mild success in WCW and Vince gave him a reality check. He was having matches that didn't meet expectations for how much they brought him in for, etc.

Rev Pro has an On Demand now: https://rpwondemand.pivotshare.com/

Unfortunately, their YouTube show will be moving to it, it'll be free for 24hrs then subs only, like ICW's weekly show.

Still, if you want to check out some Ospreay before he debuts in New Japan, there you go (Or just get Demand Progress).

Look up his match with Okada, apparently after that, Okada's been the one pushing for him to get signed.

Striker

Bits of this, I believe.

https://youtu.be/JkkLo-Us5-4?t=5m40s

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why am I not surprised to hear Bret Hart call one of his own matches the best of all time? Have some modesty, motherfucker.

I mean, sure. He's excellent. He's one of the GOATs. He's the best Hart. Owen ain't shit compared. But man I wonder if I could get him to talk for an hour about someone else.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If it is negatively... Sure you could.

Someone who hasn't been an opponent of his, also.

Man, that 2 hour sitdown with Shawn for the DVD/Blu-Ray must have been like mana from heaven for Bret.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pollock needs his own fuckin' shitty entertainment podcast where he can talk about Fuller House. Fuck. Two shows in one week he wastes my time talking about other TV. He wasted a half hour before on that Making a Murderer shit. For fuck's sake, Pollock, start an entertainment podcast.

NastyBook

Trying to give someone a concussion with what is, generally, the softest part of your body seems pretty dumb to me.
Naomi's ass is gigantic, though. To me, that's what takes the move from standard wrestling repertoire, to finisher territory. It's like if a wrestler with tree trunk legs missile drop kicked me. I would take that 3 count.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naomi's ass is gigantic, though. To me, that's what takes the move from standard wrestling repertoire, to finisher territory. It's like if a wrestler with tree trunk legs missile drop kicked me. I would take that 3 count.

Except that's why people think its dumb: its pandering lowbrow titillation that's done in a hamfisted way to accentuate Naomi's most prominent secondary sexual characteristic. It would be like if Nikki Bella's finisher was a submission hold where she strangled people with her implants.

I mean, sure. He's excellent. He's one of the GOATs. He's the best Hart. Owen ain't shit compared. But man I wonder if I could get him to talk for an hour about someone else.

"Owen ain't shit compared" is a bit of an exaggeration, Sun O' Mac. In ring it was pretty close IMO, but I concur Bret was better overall.

Actually, just talking about it reminded me of the Hart Foundation run where the Harts were heel in the States but faces everywhere else. It was so good and they would never pull something like that off today.

And much better than DX, whatever the revisionist stuff on the network may say. It was too brief. And three of them are dead, which is pretty depressing.

Angry Grimace

Sephzilla

Owen was just as good in the ring and better on the mic than Bret ever was.

#TeamOwen

Owen was really good in the ring but Bret could run circles around him. I think Owen had the potential to be better than Bret but never realized it. Mic wise, sure, I can see a case for Owen being better. But truthfully Owen repeated the same shit a lot, almost Stephanie McMahon tier. Bret's a bit underrated on the mic and his heel work at the end of his WWF run was fucking great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"Owen ain't shit compared" is a bit of an exaggeration, Sun O' Mac. In ring it was pretty close IMO, but I concur Bret was better overall.

Actually, just talking about it reminded me of the Hart Foundation run where the Harts were heel in the States but faces everywhere else. It was so good and they would never pull something like that off today.

And much better than DX, whatever the revisionist stuff on the network may say. It was too brief. And three of them are dead, which is pretty depressing.

DX is terrible and always was. That's some shit I'll never buy.

It's not that Owen was terrible. Bret shone SO brightly on every level.

Owen was really good in the ring but Bret could run circles around him. I think Owen had the potential to be better than Bret but never realized it. Mic wise, sure, I can see a case for Owen being better. But truthfully Owen repeated the same shit a lot, almost Stephanie McMahon tier. Bret's a bit underrated on the mic and his heel work at the end of his WWF run was fucking great.

Bret is DEFINITELY underrated on the mic. He stood out a LOT in the WWF era. He always backed it up in ring. Owen was more of a comedy character. I think he would have hit his stride in his 40s, but he never got that chance. Owen isn't on Bret's level, not even close.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Owen never had anything on Bret's heel run despite his own heel turn being quite good.

It took me about twenty years to come around to it but I do buy into the idea that Bret was the best ever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In terms of setting up a match, performing the motions, coming up with spots, bleeding the line between reality and fiction for entertainment and just strictly in-ring action and storytelling, no one is better than Bret Hart. So it's ok if you're not as good as Bret. Because no one is in-ring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Owen never had anything on Bret's heel run despite his own heel turn being quite good.

It took me about twenty years to come around to it but I do buy into the idea that Bret was the best ever.

Yeah. I used to be an Owen stan. The truth is that Bret was actually better.

In terms of setting up a match, performing the motions, coming up with spots, bleeding the line between reality and fiction for entertainment and just strictly in-ring action, no one is better than Bret Hart. So it's ok if you're not as good as Bret. Because no one is in-ring.

Pretty much. Looking back it's so clear.

Sephzilla

As a life long Bret Hart mark, these last few posts make me very happy :)

I think there's a legit case to say that Bret Hart and Steve Austin are probably 1 and 2 on the all-time-greats list, which is why their feud was so goddamn good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah. I used to be an Owen stan. The truth is that Bret was actually better.

Pretty much. Looking back it's so clear.

Being a younger brother myself I'll always find a little of myself in Owen Hart...but Bret is better. Having seen the 1997 stuff for the first time ever cements that. I went from 1995 Bret to 1998 WCW Bret and still thought he was among the best ever...but a self centered braggart. Now though?

Remember when Owen reappeared at the end of the Michaels/Shamrock match and attacked Shawn? I remember thinking he was finally going to get a title run. He was over huge at the end of the match, the crowd loved it.

The Blackhart!

Then... uh.. jobbing to Triple H at Mania (I think), weird singlet with 'danger do not cross' shit all over it, sore thumb member of the NOD, tagging with JJ, Ill-fated Blue Blazer... EDIT - oh yeah, 'Nugget'.

Why was that? Vince being a bitch post Montreal? Shawn working some Clique magic?

Whatculture's WWE coverage is so good, I'm surprised they aren't talked about more in here.

It'd probably suck, but it'd be fun for them to actually get involved with them properly for some form of comedy angle.

Edit: Even if they're website has a lot of click bait based articles, it's still typically well written and researched.

Sephzilla

Why was that? Vince being a bitch post Montreal? Shawn working some Clique magic?

Honestly, a little bit of both. Sadly, I think Owen Hart would still be alive today if Vince would have stuck with Bret over HBK.

Edit - Thinking about the alternate reality where Vince sides with Bret instead of HBK is a really interesting rabbit hole to enter

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when Owen reappeared at the end of the Michaels/Shamrock match and attacked Shawn? I remember thinking he was finally going to get a title run. He was over huge at the end of the match, the crowd loved it.

The Blackhart!

Then... uh.. jobbing to Triple H at Mania (I think), weird singlet with 'danger do not cross' shit all over it, sore thumb member of the NOD, tagging with JJ, Ill-fated Blue Blazer...

Once Bret left, Owen was in a weird spot. I doubt it was Vince being shitty to him, though. Owen didn't have to stay, but he did. That goes a long way.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I always heard Russo hated Owen so that could be part of it as well.
There was also supposedly that WCW didn't want him at all and WWE knew it.

Top Bottom