• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Whatculture's WWE coverage is so good, I'm surprised they aren't talked about more in here.

It'd probably suck, but it'd be fun for them to actually get involved with them properly for some form of comedy angle.
The only thing I hate about them is clicking next over and over then my fucking browser crapping out. They have any newer ones?

Sephzilla

Lets go down the "Vince chooses Bret" timeline
  • HBK goes to WCW instead of Bret. HBK likely goes nWo
  • Hart Foundation takes over as the top stable in WWF instead of DX
  • The GOAT feud of Austin vs Hart continues into WrestleMania 14
  • Mike Tyson becomes Anti-American with the Hart Foundation instead of a DX rebel
  • Austin beats Bret Hart for the title - probably a much better match than beating HBK
  • HBK doesn't lose 4 years of his career due to the Undertaker casket match
  • Austin still goes on to feud with McMahon - that feud started before Montreal
  • Bret Hart doesn't get concussed by Goldberg to end his career
  • Bret Hart possibly doesn't have a stroke
  • Owen Hart doesn't get relegated to the Blue Blazer gimmick and doesn't die
  • HBK probably burns out in WCW due to drug use and politics

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
HBK would get fired from WCW in the first year because Hogan would immediately get rid of him and Shawn doesn't have the star power to contest it.

Which would be the best timeline.

• Mike Tyson becomes Anti-American with the Hart Foundation instead of a DX rebel
  • Austin beats Bret Hart for the title - probably a much better match than beating HBK

I'm fine with this. 1 I miss Owen, and 2 fuck Shawn and HHH

Sephzilla

In an alternate storyline, you don't get the true Austin era imo.

I think the Austin era still happens. They laid the seeds for the Austin/McMahon storyline before the Montreal screwjob ever happened, Montreal just escalated the hate for Vince faster. Austin was already stunning authority figures well before all of that and was white hot for it. Bret would have eventually given the reigns to Austin because, if I remember right, Bret has said numerous times that he knew Austin was the future (and also pegged The Rock to be a big thing).

I'm fine with this. 1 I miss Owen, and 2 fuck Shawn and HHH

In the "Vince chooses Bret" timeline, HHH probably loses a fucking ton of his backstage power due to not having HBK anymore, probably never marries Steph, and (maybe) never reaches the top of the card.

I don't think Austin/McMahon would have happened, at least not on the level it did. The screwjob was the genesis of the Mr McMahon character.

somedevil

Some interesting possible news from Rob Naylor who put up the nxt pilot stuff:

Rob Naylor
‏@davemeltzerWON Although I believe there are 2 matches yet to be announced if deals get done that will blow people's minds equivalently.

WrestleCon and EVOLVE. If 1 thing in particular gets done.... JESUS CHRIST is all I can say.

So Evolve and Wrestlecon are working on two big matches. Dave asked if Ibushi might be coming in to him but people can guess away what might happen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Your normal history still happens if Vince kept Bret. Not a huge deal. Austin era still would have happened, Rock would have happened, on and on. Only thing you'd miss is HBK's "legacy" near the end.

I think the Austin era still happens. They laid the seeds for the Austin/McMahon storyline before the Montreal screwjob ever happened, Montreal just escalated the hate for Vince faster. Austin was already stunning authority figures well before all of that and was white hot for it. Bret would have eventually given the reigns to Austin because, if I remember right, Bret has said numerous times that he knew Austin was the future (and also pegged The Rock to be a big thing).

In the "Vince chooses Bret" timeline, HHH probably loses a fucking ton of his backstage power due to not having HBK anymore, probably never marries Steph, and (maybe) never reaches the top of the card.
Nah Vince wouldn't be the ultimate heel. That's the way I see it.

klonere

Banned
Another New Day video about the LoN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOjaRTOA5Y0

It's pretty incredible that they happened upon a far better storyline than the actual LoN on TV has - Sheamus as a massive intimidating bully, somehow keeping these other men in line because he kayfabe wise has done the best out of them recently. Not only does it give a far more interesting group dynamic, it gives Sheamus great heel credibility and hateability and opens up the chance for a breakout babyface or even babyfaces once the group finally implodes.

Instead the real LoN are Corporate Kane with J&J with the heights evened out and levels of HGH vastly increased.

NastyBook

Except that's why people think its dumb: its pandering lowbrow titillation that's done in a hamfisted way to accentuate Naomi's most prominent secondary sexual characteristic. It would be like if Nikki Bella's finisher was a submission hold where she strangled people with her implants.
But Naomi's ass is real...

Anyhoo, I'm not titillated only by the move, as it looks pretty devastating from a good sell and Naomi's elevation. I've yet to be convinced like that by Asuka's, regardless of the differences in how it's done.

BFIB

As a life long Bret Hart mark, these last few posts make me very happy :)

I think there's a legit case to say that Bret Hart and Steve Austin are probably 1 and 2 on the all-time-greats list, which is why their feud was so goddamn good.

I'm a Bret mark for life. Sat w/ him for about 10 minutes at an event he was invited to. I asked him if there was one night after he left WWF if he could go back to and he pointed out the Raw in St. Louis after Owen's death. Said that he teared up when he saw the "Long Live Owen Hart" sign. He said he didn't watch that Raw for a long time, but popped it in one night since he did record it and teared up when he saw it. He said Owen would have loved it, because he always complained that no one made signs for him.

Didn't even tell him, but that sign was actually me and all my buddies that made that. Bret was my favorite as a kid, and he'll always be my favorite all time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Except that's why people think its dumb: its pandering lowbrow titillation that's done in a hamfisted way to accentuate Naomi's most prominent secondary sexual characteristic. It would be like if Nikki Bella's finisher was a submission hold where she strangled people with her implants.

Why do you think it's pandering? Umaga had a big ass and used it to crush peoples heads with. Just because you sexualize it doens't mean Naomi or the trainers thought, 'hey use your ass because it's hot and sexy~' it's not a fucking stinkface.

the funny thing is Kana did WAY more sexual creepy shit in the ring than Naomi has ever done.

Sephzilla

If Shawn went to WCW and completely burned out, I honestly wonder if he would be alive today.

I honestly don't think he would be. That injury against Undertaker that sidelined him kind of saved his life. If Shawn went to WCW

1) He wouldn't get that injury and would never be sidelined.
2) He'd get massively stressed out over WCW's backstage politics
3) His drug problems would get worse
4) WCW wouldn't fucking know what to do with him

I don't think Austin/McMahon would have happened, at least not on the level it did. The screwjob was the genesis of the Mr McMahon character.

I think it still would have. The anti-authority mindset of the mid/late 90s was still pretty strong, McMahon eating a stunner first happened before Montreal, and the Mr McMahon character would have become a massive heel simply for opposing Austin at the peak of his over-ness. Honestly there's a bit of revisionist history applied to Montreal and the impact it had on the Mr McMahon character. Yeah, it made smarks at the time hate Vince a lot more but to the (growing) general fanbase most people hated the Mr McMahon character simply because he was a big rich boss figure who was trying to stop the hero - not because he was the guy who screwed over Bret Hart.

Nekofrog

Banned
Damnit! He was not a nugget!

We had to skip that episode. Got as far into the tribute as Jeff Jarrett coming out for a match or promo or whatever, tears uncontrollably streaming down his cheeks from his red eyes, saying "owen was NOT a nugget" on the mic to a deafening response and we had to turn it off. I still remember seeing it live and I can't go back to it. 20 years later and it's still a raw nerve.

Zach

Owen was just as good in the ring and better on the mic than Bret ever was.

#TeamOwen

Pfft, no. Owen was the drizzling poops on the mic. Sometimes -- sometimes -- he would strike awkward, stupid gold. Like that time he randomly yelled "Canada!" in the background of a Hart Foundation promo.

That being said, while Bret was a consistent 10/10 in the ring, Owen had moments of just gah dang beautiful execution in the ring -- an 11/10, if you weeeell (and I weell). Still, Bret gets the nod in this department, too. He had rarer valleys.

Jesus Sunny screamed into the microphone. Shit was so unbearable.

Along with DOA, this is one of the very few instant-fast-forwards on my chronological journey. She is atrocious.

I see you've put a lot of thought into this. Very interesting.

HBK would get fired from WCW in the first year because Hogan would immediately get rid of him and Shawn doesn't have the star power to contest it.

Which would be the best timeline.

Oh myyy.

Sephzilla

HBK would be in the Syxx position. He'd have a mini feud with Flair and then get fired due to backstage politics.

Nah, I think HBK would be protected by Nash and Hall more plus HBK was a former WWF Champion and a main event-er, meaning he'd probably have a much bigger contract for WCW to swallow if they'd fire him. Syxx wasn't shit compared to Shawn.

Aiii

So not worth it
"Dance for me, Nate. Dance. And don't look me in the eye when you dance!"

McGregor remains the best heel promo in the business

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"Dance for me, Nate. Dance. And don't look me in the eye when you dance!"

McGregor remains the best heel promo in the business

He's such a fuckin' idiot. Disgrace. He should be working as a face.

Zach

You guys are too negative. Michaels would've cleaned up his act in WCW and gone on to have all-time great feuds with Eddie, Malenko, Benoit, Jericho, etc.

We had to skip that episode. Got as far into the tribute as Jeff Jarrett coming out for a match or promo or whatever, tears uncontrollably streaming down his cheeks from his red eyes, saying "owen was NOT a nugget" on the mic to a deafening response and we had to turn it off. I still remember seeing it live and I can't go back to it. 20 years later and it's still a raw nerve.
I watched it last year and finally figuring out the full details between he and Austin, it made sense why it was a silent tribute for him.

klonere

Banned
If Shawn goes to WCW and Hogan kicks up a fuss like Data posits, does that mean the NWO never forms as Hogan/Nash/Hall because Nash and Hall go to bat for their buddy, with Hulk getting all pissy about it.

Maybe WCW dies even faster then with no heel Hogan and even more backstage strife.

Nekofrog

Banned
I watched it last year and finally figuring out the full details between he and Austin, it made sense why it was a silent tribute for him.

I was just too big of an owen fanboy as a teenager to ever revisit the episode. I'll do documentaries about him, I'll do dvd collections, but that episode just takes me back to being 15 again when it happened and being a broken mess. The raw display of emotion from the people who knew him is just too much humanity for me to deal with.

:(

Ccp6nmHWoAAzRYj.jpg

Rhyno runnin for office! (srsly)

I was just too big of an owen fanboy as a teenager to ever revisit the episode. I'll do documentaries about him, I'll do dvd collections, but that episode just takes me back to being 15 again when it happened and being a broken mess. The raw display of emotion from the people who knew him is just too much humanity for me to deal with.

:(
I was 7 at the time and at times, I didn't know what the hell was going on. But I knew it was very out of the ordinary. I didn't have the feelings at the time but I could feel that they were completely torn. Obviously I was confused with everyone saying good things about him such as HHH since he was in DX. With the advertising Austin throughout the show it was weird. Idk. I thought the next week it would be the same but it was normal.

While, I didn't watch the ppv live, I was able to follow it live. I tutned to channel 31(the ppv channel) and just listened. I was like.... Huh? Hearing JR say this is real, was mind blowing to me.

As noted, The Undertaker will be appearing on the overseas WWE tour scheduled to take place following WrestleMania 32.

The Undertaker is scheduled to be at the Smackdown tapings on April 19th in London, but it is not yet known if he will be wrestling at the tapings or who he will face if he does wrestle.

For the entire tour other than April 19th, Undertaker will be teaming up with Big Show to face Erick Rowan and Luke Harper. Below are the dates for which Undertaker is being advetised:

-April 19th: SmackDown in London at the O2
-April 20th: in Newcastle at The Newcastle Arena
-April 21st: in Brussels at Forest National
-April 22nd: in Paris at Accorhotels Arena
-April 23rd: in Malaga at Palacio de Deportes José María Martín Carpena

Blue, the ending of Owen/Austin match still puzzles me. Owen really cared about his Co workers by the pin.

Also anyone else having problems with the network not showing raw/SD episodes between 05-10?
I wanna revisit the Orton/HHH feud buildups but nothing on there.

Blue, the ending of Owen/Austin match still puzzles me. Owen really cared about his Co workers by the pin.

Also anyone else having problems with the network not showing raw/SD episodes between 05-10?
I stopped watching from 2004-2013. So there's quite a few things I want to see.

Sephzilla

If Shawn goes to WCW and Hogan kicks up a fuss like Data posits, does that mean the NWO never forms as Hogan/Nash/Hall because Nash and Hall go to bat for their buddy, with Hulk getting all pissy about it.

Maybe WCW dies even faster then with no heel Hogan and even more backstage strife.

The nWo formed well before Montreal though, right? I'd kind of assume HBK going to WCW would happen around the same time as Bret leaving WWF in the alternate timeline, so the Hogan/Hall/Nash nWo would already be there.

I do kind of agree with you on one thing though. HBK going to WCW would escalate the backstage bullshit a fucking ton and probably accelerate WCW's downfall a bit in the process since the backstage power grabs would happen a lot faster.

Bret put Austin over to the next level in one of the greatest Wrestlemania matches of all time, Owen broke his neck and shortened his career.

#TeamBret

No lies detected

Which parts are you confused about?

Top Bottom