• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Striker

Anyone else getting a feeling this Wrestlemania is going to be an Attitued Era esque Mania with tons of spots and forced violence for the sake of WOW
They'll go for a big "surprise" or something as they've almost always do. The only part from the AE that was overly violent for the sake of it was Bossman/Taker's Hell in a Cell match.

I mean, they're doing Shane-Taker and Lesnar-Ambrose street fights essentially.

Wooo! Boooooooo!

I am wondering which match will actually get a positive reaction from the crowd, at least Shane is guaranteed some "holy shit" chants.
AJ v Jericho, new day, whatever spots Sami and Owens do, Bork and Dean destroying each other and triple h beating Roman's ass.

bjork

Is the Roman hate now at the levels of Cena hate 10 years ago?

I want to say it isn't, but I can't remember exactly.

With Roman, it's like you're going to a friend's house to visit, but they have a relative or a pet that keeps pestering you for attention and your friend is too nice to scold them in front of you.

At least with Cena, people were mad because they were being deprived of the greatness that was thuganomics. same old crap.jpg etc

kiguel182

Roman could be a star but not this kinda of star.

He would be a great corporate heel that an underdog face beats down. I mean, he is from a renown family, WWE loves him and he looks like a million bucks. It almost writes itself.

Instead they turned him into an underdog, cool dude babyface and pushed him to the moon. Obviously it backlashed. His reactions to it aren't helping at all.

Anyway, for all the hate Cena got (and gets) the guy had to fight to be where he is today. Roman was just given everything he has gotten. Hard to relate and cheer for a guy like that.

klonere

Banned
Can everyone stop complaining about Roman? Reading through the posts during Raw "oh they have to turn him" "he's ruined" "not the face of the company" "this is the main event face?" etc etc etc.

While Roman is getting negative crowd feedback he isn't getting the feedback that really would force change - financial. Dean Ambrose's wacky ride of hilarious character ticks and oh so crazy segments aren't turning anyone away in disappointment. Sami Zayn's abortion of an introduction isn't keeping the $500 dollar front row seats empty. Ryback/Kalisto isn't making anyone turn their nose up at the travel packages. Sold out Barclay's Center. Gigantic WM gate. Kids at the house shows. Roman's huge in India. Smarks eagerly parting with HUNDREDS of dollars to boo the man. $600+ million in revenue for a fiscal year.

They don't have to change shit. The Raw after Mania could be the biggest shitshow ever, a cavalcade of hijacked matches, shitty chants and smark excess but the fact of the matter is that most of those chants, boos and hate for Roman are emanating from people who payed lots of money to do so. They are probably wearing Balor Club or KO shirts. They might have gone to the HoF and NXT. I bet a ton of people in Brooklyn got on their phones to use that presale code for Summerslam as soon as it flashed up on the big screens.

Of course they are going to go ahead with Roman, of course the midcard will be forever death, of course the NXT pipeline lead straight to the graveyard, of course the writers will continue to script shitty comedy, of course wrestlers will continue to be distracted by entrance music, of course all this and more will remain the same because it's
what
you
want.
Because you keep paying for it. QED.

cXvrxkI.gif

klonere

Banned
Nope, we all have every right to complain about the dude and state our opinion. I can't wait till they get over trying to get him over and have some actual talent chase the title. Seth Rollins can't return soon enough.

But they don't need to do that. Him being in this position isn't affecting business in any meaningful way. Why would they change what they want to do if they aren't making less money doing it?

kiguel182

But they don't need to do that. Him being in this position isn't affecting business in any meaningful way. Why would they change what they want to do if they aren't making less money doing it?

Because it makes for a better product? Money doesn't need to be the only motivation someone has in life. Make a product that your fans enjoy.

Aiii

So not worth it
Since none of you are watching Raw and paying for the Network, stop complaining about what they're doing then.

kiguel182

I'm watching Raw and only talk about it here. I doubt Gaf metrics are something they measure.

Anyway, I'm free to talk about the WWE in the wrestling thread if I'm not mistaken.

kiguel182

I realised WWE has no incentive to change when Brooklyn marked out for the Undertaker in 2016. They were eating out that segment.

Those damn kids.

bjork

Ahmed Johnson's "You're going down" chant has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a crowd chant.

Where does it rank on a list that includes chanting USA when a Canadian wrestlers some guy from Europe, and people chanting Michael Cole and shit after that one WM? It's definitely up there, don't get me wrong.

So you're just pirating it, rather than paying for it? That's even worse!

Do what?

It was difficult, but I managed to stay out of here last night while Raw was on since I have to wait until it's on Hulu to watch. Gonna watch right after work.

It couldn't possibly be worse than last week's, right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why don't you weenies just not watch Wrestlemania

And if you think you haven't given money to WWE think again

You've watched those ads, pal. WWE stays winning. So if you wanna pretend like you're not doing anything for them, well, you are.

It's ok to be addicted to something shitty. But don't pretend like you want it to be different, this is the shit you LOVE. You LOVE this shit. You LOVE IT. And the proof is because you never let go. They can do anything they want to you. Lap it up.

3GzB2FM.gif

Fox318

You've watched those ads, pal. WWE stays winning. So if you wanna pretend like you're not doing anything for them, well, you are.

It's ok to be addicted to something shitty. But don't pretend like you want it to be different, this is the shit you LOVE. You LOVE this shit. You LOVE IT. And the proof is because you never let go. They can do anything they want to you. Lap it up.

3GzB2FM.gif

image.php

Zach

You guys are weird. As the only non-gimmick poster, I gotta say that my least favorite schtick is the "above it all" gimmick. Just so lame. I switch over to the WWE Mafia thread every time it pops up.

:D

I signed up for the free trial and I'll probably keep it for another month at least. I'm getting enough enjoyment out of it and I still want to finish watching all the ECW stuff on there.

It was better than last week for sure.

Nice.

bjork

I wasn't planning to

Not since the last issue of wwf magazine I haven't

I get my news through you goons and sheetz and adblock YT

The only shitty thing I'm addicted to is this community <3

kiguel182

I enjoy discussing Raw more than actually watching. It's fascinating how that company works. I wish the product was good but oh well.

EDIT: NXT is a much better product that unfortunately there isn't enough discussion around and also spoilers. Sucks. The NXT Takeover thread will have some good stuff in it for sure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't planning to

Not since the last issue of wwf magazine I haven't

I get my news through you goons and sheetz and adblock YT

The only shitty thing I'm addicted to is this community <3

You're not gonna watch Mania? Really?
nhlUCXU.gif

I enjoy discussing Raw more than actually watching. It's fascinating how that company works. I wish the product was good but oh well.

Yeah, it's bizarre to see a company who almost sees business as a work. Like sending wrestlers release papers on their birthday. That's like comic book stuff.

EDIT: NXT is a much better product that unfortunately there isn't enough discussion around and also spoilers. Sucks. The NXT Takeover thread will have some good stuff in it for sure.

Yup. NXT Dallas has the hottest American wrestling card I can remember in a long time.

Mahonay

Banned
Mania week podcasts are rolling outl

The first or seven Inside the Ropes WrestleMania podcasts had Teddy Long on it. Dude seemed like an absolute pleasure. It's funny just how self aware he is. Worth a listen. They go over his whole career.

Steve Austin podcast now with Waltman.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mania week podcasts are rolling outl

The first or seven Inside the Ropes WrestleMania podcasts had Teddy Long on it. Dude seemed like an absolute pleasure. It's funny just how self aware he is. Worth a listen. They go over his whole career.

Steve Austin podcast now with Waltman.

Let me know how that SCSA podcast is. I'm sure it'll be alright at worst. Just trying to parse my listening time.

kiguel182

Yeah, it's bizarre to see a company who almost sees business as a work. Like sending wrestlers release papers on their birthday. That's like comic book stuff.

Yup. NXT Dallas has the hottest American wrestling card I can remember in a long time.

Every WWE story seems made up. It's incredible.

Samoa Joe is on fire right now. I would love to see Joe reign with the NXT belt.

Turning Joe into some sort of final boss for NXT would be great.

Top Bottom