• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Cagey

Banned
The only problem I have with it is that they've squared off something like 4 or 5 times already. What's making this one any different? Would have appreciated something to spice it up, some stakes, anything.

Agreed, something to spice it up would have been nice, but that's a problem with WWE on the whole given how much television there is to fill each week (I skipped the Charlotte/Becky/Sasha part of Raw and that 6 man Intercontinental part in full because I don't need to see it again before Sunday). I'm sure they didn't want to make it a gimmick match and take away from their wrestling ability.

I don't know what people reasonably expected Styles would do within his first two months in WWE. He wasn't winning the world championship.

Sephzilla

Chris Jericho is a loser hasbeen in his midlife crisis who was never that great to begin with. Styles should've been a world title contender from the get go, he paid his dues, people know who he is. He's in a non-title match in the undercard of WM, against some fucking loser he's already fought 3+ times, this is the darkest timeline

this is not 1994 Jericho, this is not WCW

He paid is dues in TNA and Japan. You know that means shit to Vince.

Kaladin

I think of this era of Y2J as an extended retirement run. He's putting over everyone in hopes of being that launching pad for the next big star. So far he's put over....

Daniel Bryan
Fandango
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
The Shield
Curtis Axel
Bray Wyatt
Randy Orton

I might have missed a few.

Penguin

Friends, a new buddy of mine invited to a show/party/fundraiser this Saturday night that he's throwing on a boat. I feel like an obligated to go since he's been pretty keen on me going. Said friend is also likely going to be a new part-time coworker of mine since I hooked him up with my boss. I really wanted to watch TakeOver live on Saturday, but I'm trying to break my habit of always bailing on event invites here in Brooklyn. Been missing a lot of easy networking opportunities. I have a WrestleMania day planned anyway with my girlfriend which should be fun, and I can just watch TakeOver with her in the afternoon. I'm just going to stay out of this thread and off of Reddit until I catch up.

TLDR;
I'm missing TakeOver for an attempt at a social life
But it's on Friday?

Browny

Banned
I don't know what people reasonably expected Styles would do within his first two months in WWE. He wasn't winning the world championship.

Weirdly though, he managed exactly that in NJPW...

I just wish he hadn't faced Jericho every single week since the Rumble. There is enough people on the roster that Styles could have faced. Hell, have him face person a) one week on Raw, then have Jericho face the same person on Smackdown. Make it a game of oneupsmanship. Job done.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friends, a new buddy of mine invited to a show/party/fundraiser this Saturday night that he's throwing on a boat. I feel like an obligated to go since he's been pretty keen on me going. Said friend is also likely going to be a new part-time coworker of mine since I hooked him up with my boss. I really wanted to watch TakeOver live on Saturday, but I'm trying to break my habit of always bailing on event invites here in Brooklyn. Been missing a lot of easy networking opportunities. I have a WrestleMania day planned anyway with my girlfriend which should be fun, and I can just watch TakeOver with her in the afternoon. I'm just going to stay out of this thread and off of Reddit until I catch up.

TLDR;
I'm missing TakeOver for an attempt at a social life

Good plan, honestly. Wrestling is nice but needs to take a backseat.

EDIT: You'll miss the HoF. Good riddance. WWE's HoF always sucks. Terrible that they let fans in. Disgusting. Or...DISCOOSTIN

Mahonay

Banned
Takeover is actually on Friday Night at 10pm EST.

I work till 9pm on Friday so thanks to CST I get to watch it live.
Damn that's pretty late but works for me since I don't work until around 11PM. Also my lady gets home around 9PM so she'll get to watch. Sweet.

Sephzilla

And that's fucking infuriating. He's under 6ft too so you can pretty much forget about him after mania

My prediction : his next opponent will be Ryback, mark my words

I think Styles will have a mini feud or a few one-off matches after WrestleMania, and then I have an idea of who his next feud will be against

c49fhgW.gif

Mahonay

Banned
Good plan, honestly. Wrestling is nice but needs to take a backseat.

EDIT: You'll miss the HoF. Good riddance. WWE's HoF always sucks. Terrible that they let fans in. Disgusting. Or...DISCOOSTIN
Hahah yeah well now it's moot now that I know TakeOver is Friday and not Saturday. And yeah fuck the HoF. I watched the whole thing once and never again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How has NXT managed to drop the ball so hard building Takeover? Coasting on the names only, the show has been really bad lately.

miserable

I think of this era of Y2J as an extended retirement run. He's putting over everyone in hopes of being that launching pad for the next big star. So far he's put over....

Daniel Bryan
Fandango
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
The Shield
Curtis Axel
Bray Wyatt
Randy Orton

I might have missed a few.

yea, because people need to be put over by none other than fuckin' Jericho

Sephzilla

I would be okay with fans being at the Hall of Fame ceremony, but only if WWE would straight up tell people to not chant or be obnoxious during speeches and have security toss anyone out who starts yelling.

Considering how beat up the roster is, especially at the top of the card, at least putting Styles into the world title picture would have been a better idea than having him work with Jericho.

You think WWE fans will do that? They're so bad.

They simply need to enforce a dress code for fans so they will treat it better.

I think they'd do it if they saw security tossing people out left and right. Although I do like the idea of a dress code.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would be okay with fans being at the Hall of Fame ceremony, but only if WWE would straight up tell people to not chant or be obnoxious during speeches and have security toss anyone out who starts yelling.

You think WWE fans will do that? They're so bad.

They simply need to enforce a dress code for fans so they will treat it better.

Mahonay

Banned
How has NXT managed to drop the ball so hard building Takeover? Coasting on the names only, the show has been really bad lately.
They've been in rebuild mode since a bunch of talent moved up. But yeah it's been boring as fuck lately. I think starting at TakeOver though it's going to speed back up. And the Cruiserweight Tournamanet is definitely going to build a bunch of excitement.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They've been in rebuild mode since a bunch of talent moved up. But yeah it's been boring as fuck lately. I think starting at TakeOver though it's going to speed back up. And the Cruiserweight Tournamanet is definitely going to build a bunch of excitement.

I'm expecting that to give them a chance to write some compelling stuff. Like, no joke, Eva Marie and Nia Jax have been the most interesting characters on there from a storyline perspective. As much as I enjoy American Alpha they're not DOING anything.

They've made me not care about one of the best wrestler in the world. 2016 Jericho is a fucking travesty, I can't believe this shit is even real

Vince fucking ruined him because he was a TNA guy, fuck everything

Jericho gets kayfabe injured at the start of the match. Stephanie comes out in a panic about what to do, she gets caught on an "open mic" saying "whatever, just send someone out for a match!" Cue up "Subconscious" (which does not get played in Dallas) and Nakamura comes out with a typical batshit crazy entrance.

Chris Jericho is a loser hasbeen in his midlife crisis who was never that great to begin with.
Oh shut up, Jericho was a great wrestler in his prime. This Team Tiny Dads blowoff match has some potential for shenanigans as well.
This is not a prediction that Makabe will interfere, which should be obvious. It is just my favorite Bullet Club thing ever.
It has no chance at being match of the night, but guess what that's because

NEW

DAY
ROCKS

And that ladder match.

I'm excited to be going to Wrestlemania. I can't say that it's going to be as great as it could be, because ultimately Daniel Bryan should be there and it's just too soon to be over that. But I love a lot of the talent that's going to be there and I know they can put on a good show, of which Roman Reigns will be only a part.

imBask

Banned
Jericho gets kayfabe injured at the start of the match. Stephanie comes out in a panic about what to do, she gets caught on an "open mic" saying "whatever, just send someone out for a match!" Cue up "Subconscious" (which does not get played in Dallas) and Nakamura comes out with a typical batshit crazy entrance.

and as the ThreePiMatt tell his idea that to Vince, Vince interupts with a loud "WHO?" after the name Nakamura is mentionned

Ryback is sent to the ring instead

klonere

Banned
The huge gap between London and Dallas hurt the show a lot. Nothing of real importance has happened for 4 months now and totally has been coasting. Very disappointed that they didn't find anything good to do in those months though. We are legit getting a 2/3 week build for a lot of these matches - Crews/Drifter, Aries/Corbin, Asuka/Bayley, Zayn/Nakamerica all have had very very short builds. Everything else those people were involved in beforehand was boring and/or inconsequential. The tag team build has been good and the Balor/Joe build has been fine. The show itself will be great I'm sure.

I'm hosting my first wrestling viewing party for Takeover on Friday, seeing as I can't watch Mania. Wouldn't be a good idea to turn up to my first day of work with 2 hours sleep, if even that.
I probably wouldn't have watched live either if I could have tbh

I'll let you guys know what a bunch of either totally unfamiliar or the classic "watched for 2 years during the AE" fans think of the super indie that is NXT.

klonere

Banned
I'm expecting that to give them a chance to write some compelling stuff. Like, no joke, Eva Marie and Nia Jax have been the most interesting characters on there from a storyline perspective. As much as I enjoy American Alpha they're not DOING anything.

I think winning all the time and looking great after the coming out performance at the Dusty Classic is a pretty nice, subtle sports story. Please tell me you saw the excellent video package from last week's NXT about them. That's what we need more of on NXT and Raw.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The huge gap between London and Dallas hurt the show a lot. Nothing of real importance has happened for 4 months now and totally has been coasting. Very disappointed that they didn't find anything good to do in those months though. We are legit getting a 2/3 week build for a lot of these matches - Crews/Drifter, Aries/Corbin, Asuka/Bayley, Zayn/Nakamerica all have had very very short builds. Everything else those people were involved in beforehand was boring and/or inconsequential. The tag team build has been good and the Balor/Joe build has been fine. The show itself will be great I'm sure.

I'm hosting my first wrestling viewing party for Takeover on Friday, seeing as I can't watch Mania. Wouldn't be a good idea to turn up to my first day of work with 2 hours sleep, if even that.
I probably wouldn't have watched live either if I could have tbh

I'll let you guys know what a bunch of either totally unfamiliar or the classic "watched for 2 years during the AE" fans think of the super indie that is NXT.

Heel, a friend of ours needs your advice on #deadgiveaways and #safe

RBH

They've made me not care about one of the best wrestler in the world. 2016 Jericho is a fucking travesty, I can't believe this shit is even real

Vince fucking ruined him because he was a TNA guy, fuck everything

I don't agree with this.

I think the WWE has mostly done a good job overall of featuring AJ Styles and making him seem like a big deal. He debuts in the Rumble to go 1-on-1 with Roman Reigns (thus casting a huge spotlight on him from the get-go), he's put into a feud with Jericho (who is still a upper mid-tier guy currently) that gets prominent airtime on TV on a weekly basis, he's been put in the main event on Smackdown multiple times already (to help boost up Smackdown and make more people tune into USA on a consistent basis), and he's getting a singles match in his first WrestleMania, barely over two months from his initial debut in the company.

There have been some booking decisions here and there that I don't agree with (having Jericho win despite Styles' distraction last week, not having their WM match be the 5th match in their series of matches or putting some sort of real stakes on their WM match), but overall, I'm pleased. I didn't expect Styles to challenge for the world title from the get-go (because they rarely do that for new guys in the WWE, despite the currently injury-depleted roster). I always expected him to start around the IC Title-level and work himself up from there.

Aiii

So not worth it

Careful now, you're not supposed to like anything Eva Marie.

I feel like Mankind vs Undertaker (96 - 97) was the unofficial start of the Attitude Era. It was the first time you saw a change to a more aggressive story telling format and the story they told with those two was different from anything you got elsewhere on the show.

Even if you go back a few months prior to Goldust's debut and Diesel flipping the bird to Undertaker you can tell they were slowly heading in the direction. There would be an Attitude Era even if Hall & Nash never defected

Kaladin

Even if you go back a few months prior to Goldust's debut and Diesel flipping the bird to Undertaker you can tell they were slowly heading in the direction. There would be an Attitude Era even if Hall & Nash never defected

I don't think it would have been as successful though. Without Hall and Nash leaving, I don't think you'd have Triple H or Stone Cold as the major stars they became.

Mahonay

Banned
Ospreay in that Bryan Danielson spot right now. Facing all of the best wrestlers in the business.
I don't think it would have been as successful though. Without Hall and Nash leaving, I don't think you'd have Triple H or Stone Cold as the major stars they became.
I mean Trips would have at least since he was a part of that crew.

Kaladin

I mean Trips would have at least since he was a part of that crew.

Maybe, but I doubt he would have had the spotlight like he did. Vince putting him in the doghouse after Hall and Nash left lit a fire under him and he came out of that for the better.

Stone Cold got the KOTR push because of Triple H going into the dog house and the rest was just Stone Cold taking the ball and running with it.

Could it have happened without that catalyst? Sure, but it wouldn't have been as strong as it was.

bjork

Maybe, but I doubt he would have had the spotlight like he did. Vince putting him in the doghouse after Hall and Nash left lit a fire under him and he came out of that for the better.

Stone Cold got the KOTR push because of Triple H going into the dog house and the rest was just Stone Cold taking the ball and running with it.

Could it have happened without that catalyst? Sure, but it wouldn't have been as strong as it was.

Then Test would be COO right now. HHH would've been off with Stacy Keibler or whatever. Someone needs to make "What if?" comics for wrestling, if they haven't already.

Fox318

If the WWE wanted to do an actual hall of fame it wouldn't be in an arena.

It would be a closed door banquet on the network.

They want to sell tickets, beer, and merch.

I know they actually want the HOF to be real but its a promotional vehicle for them

Jamie OD

Lol Austin and Waltman airing their deep displeasure with the constant distraction roll ups going in WWE matches right now.

I wish there was at least more variety in the roll ups. There needs to be more Sunset Flips, Backslides and La Magistral Cradles and less School Boys.

100%. WCW would have been a bust and WWF would just be coasting with slightly edgier content. WWF needed WCW to elevate the popularity of wrestling back than. Stone Cold would have happened, but who knows just how successful he would have been without that KotR win. If Hall & Nash never left, HHH would have been KotR and we may have never gotten DX

Top Bottom