• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Ce06luUUMAAb09T.jpg

WrestleMania match against Mr. Gail Kim, Robert Irvine.

robert-irvine-vs.-kevin-alexander-fit-men-cook-off-1.jpg

Guy Fieri will join the Bullet Club and headline Wrestle Kingdom 12.

guy_fieri.jpg

klonere

Banned
Harper is believed to have suffered a torn ACL. For whatever reason, his injury is being kept secret but that is the story going around and that he will be out of action for about six months. This is not confirmed, but I believe he has already had his knee surgery which, for whatever reason, maybe because of the nature of his character, has not been reported

Six months. IT JUST

KEEPS

HAPPENING.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They did a marketability study among current fans and Reigns was the highest ranking regular guy (other than Cena). The problem to me is that I find it unlikely whatever appeal he has goes away as a heel.

Owens did horrible in the same study; Styles was high again.

From the latest Observer -

I saw the results of a marketability study regarding the top WWE characters and it's probably one of the reasons they are strong on Reigns. And this was a current fan-based study and not a general public study, which saw Reigns as the fourth highest ranking wrestler on the roster, trailing Cena (who scored much higher than anyone else), Undertaker and Lesnar. Others faring strongly among the active wrestlers were Orton, HHH and Styles, the latter of which probably surprised people. Ambrose also did well, but was far behind the guys mentioned and Owens didn't fare well at all. That may be why they are reluctant to listen to crowd reactions and think they should push someone else.

One major retailer noted that, in order, the top five selling T-shirts at their national chain for 2015 were Cena, Bryan, Reigns, Rollins and Ambrose, in that order.

Zach

How do marketability studies work? How do they pick who to study? And then are folks just asked questions? Or does this involve actual face-to-face meetings with groups of people? Like, a focus group sort of thing?

I just find it intriguing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still think Owens is already a big star and probably going to get a run at the title within a couple years. Dude does his job well and does everything he can to sell merch. The only people working harder to shill random shit are the New Day.

How do marketability studies work? How do they pick who to study? And then are folks just asked questions? Or does this involve actual face-to-face meetings with groups of people? Like, a focus group sort of thing?

I just find it intriguing.

I remember in late era WCW, they handed out surveys to fans at house shows and TV shows. (Then promptly ignored what the fans told them.) So, probably that, plus focus groups and Internet surveys.

From the latest Observer -

Reigns is obviously going to rate highly in polls like this. He's one of the only guys who gets a real push. He's fucking everywhere. On every poster. Every magazine. Every ad promotion. When you tell your casual audience for so long "hey, this is the guy you should care about", eventually they'll take to it. The problem for them is that the audience going to TV tapings aren't taking it.

The situation with King Cuerno is up in the air right now. What we know is that he was offered a spot in the WWE’s Global cruiserweight tournament and wanted to go, but neither AAA nor LU would allow it. That explains his cryptic tweets from a week or two back. He has the seven season deal. He hasn’t worked for AAA since 3/4 and wasn’t at the tapings for season three
:[

Reigns is obviously going to rate highly in polls like this. He's one of the only guys who gets a real push. He's fucking everywhere. On every poster. Every magazine. Every ad promotion. When you tell your casual audience for so long "hey, this is the guy you should care about", eventually they'll take to it. The problem for them is that the audience going to TV tapings aren't taking it.

Is that actually a problem if the people still pay hundreds of dollars and fill up the arena to boo Roman when on the other three nights a week, Roman gets heavily cheered at house shows in Corpus Christi and Tulsa?

klonere

Banned
Is that actually a problem if the people still pay hundreds of dollars and fill up the arena to boo Roman when on the other three nights a week, Roman gets heavily cheered at house shows in Corpus Christi and Tulsa?

No. It's not. WWE aren't receiving the negative feedback that counts for Reigns.

Marks will just pay hundreds of dollars to sit down at Mania and boo Roman. It's a win win for WWE. Fucking idiot marks. We could have the final shot Mania be an unprecedented amount of booing from the HIGHEST GROSSING WWE EVENT OF ALL TIME. You think they care? You think Roman's going heel or being pulled back on? He's the guy because he's not turning anyone away.

So is the audience taking to Reigns or rejecting him? The narrative is getting hard to follow, friends.

The "real" fans are rejecting, Reigns. You know, young men in black t-shirts.

No. It's not. WWE aren't receiving the negative feedback that counts for Reigns.

Marks will just pay hundreds of dollars to sit down at Mania and boo Roman. It's a win win for WWE. Fucking idiot marks. We could have the final shot Mania be an unprecedented amount of booing from the HIGHEST GROSSING WWE EVENT OF ALL TIME. You think they care? You think Roman's going heel or being pulled back on? He's the guy because he's not turning anyone away.

Yup. Vince. Always. Wins. If you pay $9.99 to watch Nakamura on Saturday, that's a reason to push Reigns. You spend $50 to go to RAW to cheer Kevins Owens, that's a reason to push Reigns. If you want to stop Reigns from being a top guy, you have to stop giving Vincent K. McMahon money.

Wins and loses don't matter! Oh but Cena and Reigns can never be pinned or submitted. Unless by HHH

If it's not a problem this year, then why was it a problem last year, or the year before that? If the narrative is "fans chanting or booing doesn't matter, only sales and polls do" then why did they pull the rug out from under Reigns last year, and why did they pull away from the Orton/Batista main event?

Obviously they think the audience reaction matters to some degree, otherwise the last two years wouldn't have had plans change.

klonere

Banned
So is the audience taking to Reigns or rejecting him? The narrative is getting hard to follow, friends.

It appears that the audience is rejecting Reigns by paying lots of money to the shows where he is a very prominent part of the action! Definitely an interesting way of rejecting a talent, we'll see if it works in the long run.

GunBR

The reasons why Reigns got a great position (WWE pushing him to the moon for over a year) doesn't matter
They will look to the results and keep the plans with the Roman Empire. Let's hope that Seth can save us when he returns

And Roman don't need a heel turn.
The kids, women and the people who buys merchs love him, while the internet fans and most of the crowds hate him.
He's a "real" heel and a "storyline" face at the same time.

If it's not a problem this year, then why was it a problem last year, or the year before that? If the narrative is "fans chanting or booing doesn't matter, only sales and polls do" then why did they pull the rug out from under Reigns last year, and why did they pull away from the Orton/Batista main event?

Obviously they think the audience reaction matters to some degree, otherwise the last two years wouldn't have had plans change.

Because they got cold feet, incorrectly. I'm the person who thinks Batista should've won at WM30 and Reigns should've won last year.

Kaiterra

Banned

They still had other people around back then that fans had a reason to care about, like Daniel Bryan. Now the only ones they have left are injured or further devalued.

Kaiterra

Banned
Wait why would that be correct for roman and especially batista to win anything?

Because being a proper wrestling fan isn't about supporting the performers that resonate with you or who you think are the most talented, it's about supporting the performers for whom doing so will make you feel like you know the most about the business.

The reasons why Reigns got a great position (WWE pushing him to the moon for over a year) doesn't matter
They will look to the results and keep the plans with the Roman Empire. Let's hope that Seth can save us when he returns

And Roman don't need a heel turn.
The kids, women and the people who buys merchs love him, while the internet fans and most of the crowds hate him.
He's a "real" heel and a "storyline" face at the same time.

It's really weird.

Heel

I just think this should be used as a friendly reminder that adolescent to...adult males that start chants at wrestling shows almost always align with the majority opinion of WrassleGAF, yet absolutely do not represent the audience as a whole. You should in no way allow that to represent a universal or even majority opinion, yet it's often passed off as such around here (e.g. "the audience thinks..."). You feel me, friends?

Caderfix

Because they got cold feet, incorrectly. I'm the person who thinks Batista should've won at WM30 and Reigns should've won last year.

In my opinion, they are afraid of stuff like "#cancelwwenetwork", because it has the potential to hurt the company. It's not unusual for the internet to form opinions and attract followers, then people who are potential buyers might stay away and people that currently buy might stop doing so.

People can say it's just whining, that it doesn't do anything, doesn't matter, etc, but I strongly believe it does, as bad press is always a bad thing.

I'm the person who thinks WWE did the right thing when they gave the belt to Bryan at 30 and then to Rollins at 31, so you're totally going to disagree with me lol

Because being a proper wrestling fan isn't about supporting the performers that resonate with you or who you think are the most talented, it's about supporting the performers for whom doing so will make you feel like you know the most about the business.

Well, thankfully, along with being Best for Business, I would've throughly enjoyed Hollywood Star Batista as a champion and I also would've loved one of the best five or ten workers in the company being champion last year instead of a guy who can't talk or know how to work as a heel wrestler because he has to get all his flippy shit in.

Top Bottom