• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Can AJ Styles work heel? They don't have much in the way of heels coming out WM as far as I can tell and turning your most popular guy heel in Ambrose seems like a bad idea. Seth might have to come back heel just by default. I'm struggling to think of anyone else on the heel side who would be fresh at all. Orton obviously is gonna be heel again (because he's a pretty terrible face), but that's just the same thing as usual.

He worked heel fine in NJPW, although he didn't really do much besides standard american heel shenanigans due to the audience he was with.

He didn't do so hot when he did the whole "suited up and kind of act like Flair" thing in TNA.

klonere

Banned
There's only so many times you can really have the "Roman Reigns Conversation" which makes it awkward and repetitive listening to pretty much any podcast around now because it seems like the hosts feel like they don't have a choice but to talk about it all the time because that's what the wrestling podcast listening audience is tuning in to hear: there's a big niche market for conversations about how Roman Reigns sucks. Perhaps there's some irony there.

The three guys I'd listen to the most, Pollock, Austin and Meltz all have been recycling the same Roman talking points for a year now, which comprise of

• Clearly talented
  • Great look
  • Horrifically booked (wins a lot but still never feels truly dominant like Lesnar, too much underdog fuckery)
  • Schizophrenic character
  • Poor promo given the current demands of WWE promos
  • Presented in much the same light as Cena, drawing unfavorable comparisons to him, Cena having his best year possibly ever, thus Roman can't compete.
  • Put forward as the conclusive next top guy, where the most successful of those brought on a new era or significant change in how the product looked/felt/was booked. No signs of that with Roman
  • Given awful material
  • Unintentional target of frustration with awful midcard 50/50 booking (why most people want their pet favorite wrestler in the main event, so they can just win...supposedly)
  • HEEL TURN NEEDED (Austin/Meltz/most pro wrasslers podcasts keep egging this on)

And then of course there are the podcasts that just shit on him relentlessly, for the real diehard smarks. But yeah these talking points have been around for about a year and show no signs of being addressed or fixed and in fact seem to just get worse and worse.

What if one day... it does shock the whole universe?
The only thing shocking is that Jeff hasn't decided to just get out of the booking business all together. He couldn't draw a dime and his shows can't either. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow injected himself in Lucha Underground S. 3.

Jamie OD

How was ICW by the way? I saw your rave review of OTT, wonder how the other show stacked up against it?

Nothing to write home about. Action wise it felt like a WWE house show for most of the night. I'd say Galloway Vs Noam Dar was the best match but Grado Vs Joe Coffey was an entertaining comedy bout. Billy Kirkwood was a good host and apparently used as many Father Ted references he could think of on commentary throughout the night. It's funny that for all the reputation ICW has for its rowdy crowds the show in Dublin was actually kind of relaxing. It wasn't a big crowd so there was plenty of space to stand around plus easy access to the bar. A good number of the crowd travelled from Scotland and England for the show so they led the way with the chants. I was still recovering from OTT the night before so I kind of appreciate how this show became my Sunday evening cooldown. Not a bad show and I wouldn't mind seeing them again but OTT blew them out of the water.

Zach

The three guys I'd listen to the most, Pollock, Austin and Meltz all have been recycling the same Roman talking points for a year now, which comprise of

• Clearly talented
  • Great look
  • Horrifically booked (wins a lot but still never feels truly dominant like Lesnar, too much underdog fuckery)
  • Schizophrenic character
  • Poor promo given the current demands of WWE promos
  • Presented in much the same light as Cena, drawing unfavorable comparisons to him, Cena having his best year possibly ever, thus Roman can't compete.
  • Put forward as the conclusive next top guy, where the most successful of those brought on a new era or significant change in how the product looked/felt/was booked. No signs of that with Roman
  • Given awful material
  • Unintentional target of frustration with awful midcard 50/50 booking (why most people want their pet favorite wrestler in the main event, so they can just win...supposedly)
  • HEEL TURN NEEDED (Austin/Meltz/most pro wrasslers podcasts keep egging this on)

And then of course there are the podcasts that just shit on him relentlessly, for the real diehard smarks. But yeah these talking points have been around for about a year and show no signs of being addressed or fixed and in fact seem to just get worse and worse.

[dismisses everything and posts Roman Reigns gif]

The only thing shocking is that Jeff hasn't decided to just get out of the booking business all together. He couldn't draw a dime and his shows can't either. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow injected himself in Lucha Underground S. 3.

I assume he's somehow someway making money, so what's gonna stop the guy? Good for him, I guess.

uKGhzAl.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like Stephanie gets her comeuppance all of the time. It just rarely involves someone beating her up; it mostly involves her booking a really bad idea of a match and having it come out the wrong way. Brie had a storyline like that but putting Brie over even Stephanie seemed pretty questionable, really.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Stephanie gets her comeuppance all of the time. It just rarely involves someone beating her up; it mostly involves her booking a really bad idea of a match and having it come out the wrong way. Brie had a storyline like that but putting Brie over even Stephanie seemed pretty questionable, really.

Correct

Zach

Seriously, I'm dying here. The thought that a heel's comeuppance in wrestling is bumbled matchmaking.

I'm so. I can't even. I'm trying to find the logic, but this one escapes me, guys. I'm sorry. Amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hahahaha, what?

Aaaaaaaaaahahahaha.

This is how every storyline works out with Stephanie:

1) She does something cocky
2) Someone comes out and challenges her authority
3) Bad booking decision is made, e.g. Bryan gets a title shot if he beats HHH, or Roman gets to fight for the title, or Shane will run the company and get rid of Steph
4) It turns out poorly

She doesn't get beat up because all of the people in the company are big muscular men and they've gone out of their way to avoid interaction between the Female and Male wrestlers for a while now. Recently its just been HHH or Vince who gets beat up as a result of Stephanie's actions, or the title gets put on the wrong guy.

Seriously, I'm dying here. The thought that a heel's comeuppance in wrestling is bumbled matchmaking.

I'm so. I can't even. I'm trying to find the logic, but this one escapes me, guys. I'm sorry. Amazing.

I find your bloodlust for Stephanie to eat a fake beating to be a lot weirder than the concept of her getting humiliated as a result of her cockiness and insistence that she's always doing the right thing. They're not going to have one of the dudes go out and beat the shit out of the female chief brand officer in 2016. The attitude era was 15 years ago.

Zach, why did you give KoTR 97' such a low grade. I felt it was pretty decent.

He worked heel fine in NJPW, although he didn't really do much besides standard american heel shenanigans due to the audience he was with.

He didn't do so hot when he did the whole "suited up and kind of act like Flair" thing in TNA.

The one bad thing I can say about Flair is that he is not a very good manager. Its just not in his DNA.

3) Bad booking decision is made, e.g. Bryan gets a title shot if he beats HHH, or Roman gets to fight for the title, or Shane will run the company and get rid of Steph
4) It turns out poorly

She doesn't get beat up because all of the people in the company are big muscular men and they've gone out of their way to avoid interaction between the Female and Male wrestlers for a while now. Recently its just been HHH or Vince who gets beat up as a result of Stephanie's actions.
Correct. She doesn't have to get beat up to get her comeuppance.

Zach

4) It turns out poorly

She doesn't get beat up because all of the people in the company are big muscular men and they've gone out of their way to avoid interaction between the Female and Male wrestlers for a while now. Recently its just been HHH or Vince who gets beat up as a result of Stephanie's actions.

Stephanie has been in matches, so this is moot, I feel. And regardless, I, personally, will never find no physical comeuppance as being satisfactory in professional wrestling. That's just ridiculous. Who enjoys such a thing? I'm baffled and amazed.

And before you guys yell, I'm in no way endorsing dude-on-laday violence. If they don't have a chica who can crush Stephanie, that's on them, though. Not my fault they have no one at that level.

I'm just rambling but I'm in a state of Dean Ambrose Lunacy right now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's a wrap, folks. See you guys in April
3oJx1FT.gif

Caderfix

Stephanie has been in matches, so this is moot, I feel. And regardless, I, personally, will never find no physical comeuppance as being satisfactory in professional wrestling. That's just ridiculous. Who enjoys such a thing? I'm baffled and amazed.

Dude, watch out, they're going to say you hate women...

And before you guys yell, I'm in no way endorsing dude-on-laday violence. If they don't have a chica who can crush Stephanie, that's on them, though. Not my fault they have no one at that level.

Nice save.

I dunno. It probably had something to do with how unimpressive I find Triple H. And I'm guessing there was some sloppy wrasslin' on that show looking at the card.

Gotta cut 'em off, brother.
I think it was dumb that they revealed mankind to make him a fan favourite when they should've just had him win and be the tormented king.

thefro

Can AJ Styles work heel? They don't have much in the way of heels coming out WM as far as I can tell and turning your most popular guy heel in Ambrose seems like a bad idea. Seth might have to come back heel just by default. I'm struggling to think of anyone else on the heel side who would be fresh at all. Orton obviously is gonna be heel again (because he's a pretty terrible face), but that's just the same thing as usual.

I think the Bullet Club is the only interesting option there assuming Reigns is going to stay face. You could make them a threat pretty quickly just due to numbers (assuming they add a couple people to Balor/Anderson/Gallows) and strong booking.

Even if you turn AJ heel he's going to need backup because of his size. Samoa Joe would need a bit of time to get established on the main roster before he goes into the main event.

Toki767

I think the Bullet Club is the only interesting option there assuming Reigns is going to stay face. You could make them a threat pretty quickly just due to numbers (assuming they add a couple people to Balor/Anderson/Gallows) and strong booking.

Even if you turn AJ heel he's going to need backup because of his size. Samoa Joe would need a bit of time to get established on the main roster before he goes into the main event.

Let's face it. There is no interesting option with Reigns as a face.

He's not some underdog and no one believes he's an underdog.

Angry Grimace

I was gonna say Samoa Joe would be a good option. He is one of the few guys they've got that is obviously ready to be a player on the main roster. More so than Zayn or Balor, particularly since he's heel.

Zach

I think it was dumb that they revealed mankind to make him a fan favourite when they should've just had him win and be the tormented king.
What do you mean by "revealed"? Is this when he's doing those interviews with Ross about his childhood and stuff? Because I'm happy with how the Three Faces of Foley business played out, even if the tormented king schtick could've worked.

Angry Grimace

Isn't that the key thing though?

It just keeps happening over

and over

and over

and over

and over

and over

I ask for a moment of catharsis. A time when it feels like it's over and done with.
You're asking for Steph to get fired but she actually owns a lot of the company so it doesn't seem very likely. It's a lot more likely that whenever they get bored of the Authority storyline she and HHH turn into William Regal rather than go away.

Kidani, the owner of Bushiroad and New Japan, is hyping up three announcements coming up on the March 3rd anniversary show. I'm guessing one will be related to njpworld but hopefully one is also about bringing in some new talent to replace all their losses.

Top Bottom