• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_n2pn6tt0C41rxzb6jo2_250.gif

Hulk Hogan hitting my pops with a chair. My dad said earlier that day Vince and Hogan asked him if he would be interested in being part of a spot during their match and also if he minded “getting some color”. I popped like crazy when this happened. Very cool moment.

spindashing, you worked yourself into a shoot, brother. HH.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's just moronic to think the WWE is about to fall apart. WWE is on the cusp of another boom period, mark my words.

Lucha underground tonight

*Mil Muertes vs. Fenix
*Big Ryck vs. Sexy Star
*El Texano Jr. vs. Alberto El Patron

I'm very into LU as a whole but how does Big Ryck vs Sexy Star make any sense at all? The size difference is so huge that its not believable and I have a hard time imaging that this will be a good match.

galvatron

I would love a show where Vince puts on a fake mustache and everyone acts like they don't know its him.

So the hurricane's gimmick? Loved watching him do interviews with the press pass in his hat. Wonder how they're feeling about watching Mizdow kinda take off with a similarly silly, in-joke...

It's just moronic to think the WWE is about to fall apart. WWE is on the cusp of another boom period, mark my words.

It's not going to fall apart at the seams and be snuffed out quickly like WCW, but, if they continue on their current trajectory, we sure as fuck aren't getting another boom period. The death of WWE will be a slow, long, drawn out process, just like the still on-going death of TNA.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Last cusp of a boom period didn't make me not want to watch the wrestling TV show, though. Quite the contrary actually.

WWE's current product is pretty great. Opinions, though - but I legitimately feel like it's a worthy show to watch. Not ALL of it, of course. Raw, NXT, and PPVs are important. The outlying stuff is fantastic as well. Total Divas is amazing. The WWE Universe.

So, because I didn't become a WCW fan until late 1996, through the power of the WWE network, I've decided to go back and watch every PPV and every Clash from 1983 to when I started watching (as well as every Nitro when I get that far). I just got into mid-1990. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. The Midnight Express has to be the most underrated tag team of all time, ever. They always seem to get lost in the shuffle when talking about the great tag teams but I dare say Bobby and Stan could work any other team under the table.

2. I love how in the old Clash intros they would show the Western States Heritage title up to 1989 despite the belt having been retired the previous year.

3. Man, I love the concept of having United States Tag Team champions, and the NWA did a great job of keeping both titles prestigious. If HHH really wants to boost the tag division when he takes over, having enough teams and adding an Intercontinental Tag Team championship would be a cool idea. Same thing with a six-man tag team title.

4. Man, this company has some serious identity issues. There's clear wording and banners denoting the company as WCW even until 1990, but Jim Ross keeps calling the company "the NWA". Old habits die hard I guess.

5. Starrcade 89 is the stupidest piece of crap I've ever seen. I want to rip on Jim Herd for it but it was apparently Ric Flair's idea so WTF?

Anyway, apparently the crap starts to kick into high gear this year which is making me nervous. Can't wait until 1992 when Kip Frey takes over and he still manages to make the product watchable even without Luger and Flair.

notworksafe

I agree. I think they're on the edge of something big, they just have to not fuck it up. But I only watch Raw, PPVs, and the NXT events. I'm sure that helps.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, because I didn't become a WCW fan until late 1996, through the power of the WWE network, I've decided to go back and watch every PPV and every Clash from 1983 to when I started watching (as well as every Nitro when I get that far). I just got into mid-1990. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. The Midnight Express has to be the most underrated tag team of all time, ever. They always seem to get lost in the shuffle when talking about the great tag teams but I dare say Bobby and Stan could work any other team under the table.

2. I love how in the old Clash intros they would show the Western States Heritage title up to 1989 despite the belt having been retired the previous year.

3. Man, I love the concept of having United States Tag Team champions, and the NWA did a great job of keeping both titles prestigious. If HHH really wants to boost the tag division when he takes over, having enough teams and adding an Intercontinental Tag Team championship would be a cool idea. Same thing with a six-man tag team title.

4. Man, this company has some serious identity issues. There's clear wording and banners denoting the company as WCW even until 1990, but Jim Ross keeps calling the company "the NWA". Old habits die hard I guess.

5. Starrcade 89 is the stupidest piece of crap I've ever seen. I want to rip on Jim Herd for it but it was apparently Ric Flair's idea so WTF?

Anyway, apparently the crap starts to kick into high gear this year which is making me nervous. Can't wait until 1992 when Kip Frey takes over and he still manages to make the product watchable even without Luger and Flair.

1. Absolutely, and I didn't appreciate them enough when I was younger.
2. That is a nice touch.
3. Oh, I dunno, we've got so much going on though...
4. The NWA stuff was complex and a pain in the ass.
5. LOL

Curious what you think of the upcoming stuff.

Bandini

This looks like some stupid fuck on Reddit's wet dream creation. I bet the person who made this shit also made Anime Music Videos.

Wait, what the heck is wrong with anime music videos. You get to see cool stuff without sitting through hours of terrible dialogue and drawn-out bullshit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nothing in the current WWE is 'on the cusp of something big.'

96 Austin getting big reactions as a heel was 'on the cusp of something big,' hogan turning heel was 'on the cusp of something big', nothing about the completely safe current wwe booking and roster is anywhere close to something big. also wrestling will never have another boom period.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what the heck is wrong with anime music videos. You get to see cool stuff without sitting through hours of terrible dialogue and drawn-out bullshit.

I guess it depends on what you think is "cool stuff" though

they were on the verge of something big with Bryan vs Brock and then they fucked that up

That shit ain't big

Nothing in the current WWE is 'on the cusp of something big.'

96 Austin getting big reactions as a heel was 'on the cusp of something big,' hogan turning heel was 'on the cusp of something big', nothing about the completely safe current wwe booking and roster is anywhere close to something big. also wrestling will never have another boom period.

I don't feel it has anything to do with booking and their level of talent, but instead their market penetration and use of social media and social channels in general. They're working hard to get back into pop culture. TMZ reports on Rusev and Lana's home. Jon Stewart and Seth Rollins. A focus on creating giffable moments so they can be shared easily. They have the power to make it bigger than a lot of other smaller spots and keep people interested.

Alucard

Banned
I'm very into LU as a whole but how does Big Ryck vs Sexy Star make any sense at all? The size difference is so huge that its not believable and I have a hard time imaging that this will be a good match.

It's definitely a weird match, but it makes sense in storyline. I think Star and Ryck will end up getting jumped by The Crew, and then they'll face them in a tag match the following week.

RBH

galvatron

Truth!
Bobby's singles match with Flair is pretty hype, too. I still refer to a top rope leg drop as an "Alabama Jam".

I try not to think of the fact that the Midnight Express AND the Freebirds didn't get into the hall of fame before the Bushwhackers...

Sephzilla

I personally cant see how anyone could believe WWE is on the verge of something big if you watched the last 6 months of WWE programming.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Truth!
Bobby's singles match with Flair is pretty hype, too. I still refer to a top rope leg drop as an "Alabama Jam".

I try not to think of the fact that the Midnight Express AND the Freebirds didn't get into the hall of fame before the Bushwhackers...

I'm kinda torn on that, I'm all in favor of keeping Hayes out, but Gordy needs to be in...

WWE's revolutionary use of social media?
IFWT-TOut-Logo.png

not surprised you can't keep up with the times, WWE hasn't pushed Tout in some time

I don't feel it has anything to do with booking and their level of talent, but instead their market penetration and use of social media and social channels in general. They're working hard to get back into pop culture. TMZ reports on Rusev and Lana's home. Jon Stewart and Seth Rollins. A focus on creating giffable moments so they can be shared easily. They have the power to make it bigger than a lot of other smaller spots and keep people interested.

That's so backwards though, trying to become Pop Culture by feeding news sites and social media? They became Pop Culture back in the day due to their product on TV, not because they were feeding news channels behind the scenes stuff. It sort of sums up current WWE - they're trying too hard to become popular that it's strangely counter productive.

As far as I'm concerned, the amusement more comes from the WWE's usual revisionism being applied to them today.

Pretty much!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's so backwards though, trying to become Pop Culture by feeding news sites and social media? They became Pop Culture back in the day due to their product on TV, not because they were feeding news channels behind the scenes stuff. It sort of sums up current WWE - they're trying too hard to become popular that it's strangely counter productive.

Totally don't agree, they worked hard with MTV getting their product in front of a lot of faces. Hogan and Mr. T's Mania tour was so huge, and Lauper, and all sorts of other things. Rock n' Wrestling. Important shit man.

So let's see WWE have pushed

Youtube
Tout
Twitter

over the last several years. Have any of those services helped WWE expand?

Totally don't agree, they worked hard with MTV getting their product in front of a lot of faces. Hogan and Mr. T's Mania tour was so huge, and Lauper, and all sorts of other things. Rock n' Wrestling. Important shit man.

30 years ago.

Sephzilla

Pretty much this.

Both Rock-n-Wrestling and Attitude Era WWF focused on having a solid main product and then all of the new sites / pop culture shit immediately followed. If the on-air product was better WWE's social media footprint would be massive and WWE Network would have hit a million subscribers a long time ago. And then WWE wouldn't have to desperately claw for attention with "9.99" shit everywhere and wouldn't have to tell people every 5 minutes to go on twitter because it would happen naturally.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WCW had a segment with Carson Daly on it when Carson Daly was relevant.

WWE had that dude from Entourage that can't get work anywhere else.

Aiii

So not worth it

Plus, their ratings are not going up, in fact, this Mania had quite bad rating patterns so far. All this "mainstream attention" is literally not moving the needle at all. Jon Stewart in particular didn't do anything for ratings, even underperforming from last week, despite getting pushed on his very popular own show.

For someone who's been a fan for years, it's shocking wwe never reached out to stewart before. Would've been a great guest host when that was a thing.

Instead we get Jeremy Piven and Al Sharpton

ggnoobIGN

Banned
So let's see WWE have pushed

Youtube
Tout
Twitter

over the last several years. Have any of those services helped WWE expand?

30 years ago.
Almost certainly when the top trends in the world are hogged every Monday by WWE. Free advertising every single week to hundreds of millions of people.

Top Bottom