• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

notworksafe

D:

tumblr :|
d8LRuxA.jpg

somedevil

galvatron

Damn the reaction Cena gets when he beats JBL. Everyone loves him. If Reigns wins I don't see that kind of reaction happening.

I'm wondering if they might go with bodying Reigns in order to set up Rock vs Brock, if he re-signs, for that reason. Ending 'mania on boos would be tragic and a Rollins cash in wouldn't be enough of an event...maybe they have the cash-in wrecked via RKO after a Reigns win?

I had last Wrestlemania on lock, aside from the streak break, but I've got no clue on this year...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So let's see WWE have pushed

Youtube
Tout
Twitter

over the last several years. Have any of those services helped WWE expand?

Youtube and Twitter especially have yes. And they were late to capitalize on that, as well.

WCW had a segment with Carson Daly on it when Carson Daly was relevant.

WWE had that dude from Entourage that can't get work anywhere else.

...Jeremy Piven? From Judgment Night? Great movie.

Plus, their ratings are not going up, in fact, this Mania had quite bad rating patterns so far. All this "mainstream attention" is legally not moving the needle at all. Jon Stewart in particular didn't do anything for ratings, even underperforming from last week, despite getting pushed on his very popular own show.

Ratings? Are we now pretending that ratings are indicative of a product's impact? Back in the day, sure, but now it's all about what kind of social media influence a product has. Especially now that WWE would like people to jump to the Network. It's tough because there's so many ways to alternatively watch the Network, but the live PPVs are important more than ever to keep people paying.

I think twitter is useful for 'grassroots' movements gaining support and awareness, but multinational businesses? I have no idea, I can't think of any of them using twitter successfully as a marketing tool, but then I'm no expert.

Youtube and Twitter especially have yes. And they were late to capitalize on that, as well.

In what way?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think twitter is useful for 'grassroots' movements gaining support and awareness, but multinational businesses? I have no idea, I can't think of any of them using twitter successfully as a marketing tool, but then I'm no expert.

No borders, brother. Ain't nothing stopping the Twitter Machine.

I love seeing the #zayn hashtags during NXT. People get worked into a shoot thanks to a convenient shared name.

Sephzilla

twitter hashtag shit for something like WWE at best serves as a very brief 'shot in the arm' when it comes to getting eyes on the product. Someone might see #WWERAW trending on twitter and go "huh I wonder what's going on" but if the actual product they tune into is dogshit they wont stick around. The Royal Rumble and #CancelWWENetwork are pretty indicative of that considering it got mainstream coverage, people were saying "all news is good news", and yet ratings are down.

Twitter, Youtube, and all of that stuff has a minimal impact if your actual product you're pimping out through those outlets sucks.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Also, show the the receipts on the twitter exposure being identical to last year
Do you think they have a heavier presence on twitter now or last year? Honestly don't know, just that a bunch of trends have always been on there regardless. Now even NXT trends when they do their big shows. Either way they are a dream for some other marketing agencies because they get a lot of that exposure for free, to key demographics to boot.

I have no idea on facts for this, but just from personal feeling the most exposure WWE has had on twitter lately from wrestling fans and pop culture involved canceling the WWE Network, Give Divas a Chance & Bill Demott. All of those are what I'd consider to be 'Grassroot' movements, something organic that have grown indirectly out of WWE's control. That's how I feel twitter is in general, it's a public forum and the things that gain interest are usually 'people stories' that capture the imagination and attention of other people, not stories about businesses. Sure, you can get that flash in the pain top trends about TV shows, but the trends that hang around are always the personal ones, the people ones.

Sting was shoved down your throat in every print of WCW's merch catalogues.

Told yall Sting=Cena. That Rude shirt is disappointing.

Now all I can see is that advert where Sting promotes the WCW Magazine.

I find myself wondering if professional wrestling was always destined to decline after it's boom or if stupid ass creative decisions killed that boom before any inevitable decline.

Sephzilla

I find myself wondering if professional wrestling was always destined to decline after it's boom or if stupid ass creative decisions killed that boom before any inevitable decline.

in the case of wwe it's a bit of both. the end of wcw resulted in a natural decline for WWE's quality and then the stupid creative decisions came as well.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ratings? Are we now pretending that ratings are indicative of a product's impact? Back in the day, sure, but now it's all about what kind of social media influence a product has. Especially now that WWE would like people to jump to the Network. It's tough because there's so many ways to alternatively watch the Network, but the live PPVs are important more than ever to keep people paying.

And yet their PPV's feel more like episodes of Raw with (potential) title changes than ever. They even dropped the Elimination Chamber this year.

Still ratings are falling, mainstream buzz is mweh, with most top stars having next to none mainstream recognition, especially worldwide. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing in WWE. They have the talent, definitely. But they lack the creative direction to actually turn their talent into gold due to the way they choose to run their business. Even Steven booking, not allowing people to stay over, allowing backstage politics to influence who gets a push, or more importantly doesn't, despite what the audience wants. And actively making sure both the crowd and talent knows that all the wrestlers are dumb geeks that are dependant on WWE paychecks to survive. It all contributes to none of their talent getting over in any significant way, making it impossible to usher in any kind of boom period.

I think we'll peak again at some point, if only because of the lull/stagnant period we've been in/are in. There was a peak and dip in the 80s, 90s, 00s. Maybe our 'peak' was last year?

Botching the invasion plus becoming a sterile product. All the content wwe produces decrease,the quality of the product

Sephzilla

I honestly do think there's truth behind the idea that Bryan doesn't really care about his spot, which is why I've gotten less upset about him getting shoved out of the title picture despite how over he is. I don't think i've read a single report about Bryan legit getting upset backstage or talking to Vince. He strikes me as the type of guy who's too much of a good soldier.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This one issue of the WCW magazing is hyping an interview with Johnny B Badd and Van Hammer inside.

Yeah, that'll put butts in seats.

I mean, you could say wrestling in general is currently having a peak - Japan and Britain are doing some of the best shows they've done in a long time.

I honestly do think there's truth behind the idea that Bryan doesn't really care about his spot, which is why I've gotten less upset about him getting shoved out of the title picture despite how over he is. I don't think i've read a single report about Bryan legit getting upset backstage or talking to Vince. He strikes me as the type of guy who's too much of a good soldier.

Yeah, I think I've sort of accepted him as the modern Owen Hart who just wants to work hard in the ring and entertain people.

When the hell have you read about ANYONE making a stink backstage? All we get are reddit scoopz about how the boys and the back want to out do nxt and ziggler whining on twitter

Sephzilla

I mean, you could say wrestling in general is currently having a peak - Japan and Britain are doing some of the best shows they've done in a long time.

yeah, i could agree with this. i'd add that i think WWE is holding the industry back with its bad product.

When the hell have you read about ANYONE making a stink backstage? All we get are reddit scoopz about how the boys and the back want to out do nxt and ziggler whining on twitter

punk?

Top Bottom