• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
fuck the young fuckboys
tumblr_nicfl0or911qkmus5o1_400.gif

put em in the octagon with yoshiko

I think he looked at it as just a fun bit of trivia, but once it became something of value he thought about paying it forward. I think the long list of people he was willing to give it to just underscores how little ego he had wrapped up in it.

Yeah, pretty much the same view I had about it all. I kept on hearing for years from people about how The Streak should never be broken because of how important it is to Undertaker's legacy, and it always felt kinda wrongheaded to me. I mean, with how much they've built it up over the years and how important it had become, it seem almost criminal to not pay that all off with someone finally breaking it. Plus, considering all that The Undertaker has done, I don't think he needed to keep The Streak in tact for the sake of his legacy. Just feels like fanboys being insecure about Undertaker's place in history, when, thankfully, he himself wasn't.

Sephzilla

They just worked so well together. I think it was some of the best work either of them did. They both helped each other so much in that program.

Yep. Undertaker basically made the Mankind character and in turn Mick Foley pretty much revived Taker's career.

Bo kicked out of it when they had their rematch after Arrival. That's the only time Neville ever did the Imploding 450.

Ah, I completely forgot about that.

But yes, I love that finishers are ultra protected on NXT. I swore we were going to see Sami kick out of the Arrow or Neville survive a Helluva Kick during their REvolution match. I was legit shook in a good way when Sami ended it.

Ah, I completely forgot about that.

But yes, I love that finishers are ultra protected on NXT. I swore we were going to see Sami kick out of the Arrow or Neville survive a Helluva Kick during their REvolution match. I was legit shook in a good way when Sami ended it.

I like that too, 'Super Finishers' that you rarely see unless the wrestler is REAAAAAAAAAALLY struggling.

That Imploding 450 was so beautiful too.

BewitchedShortFanworms.gif

Sephzilla

I like that too, 'Super Finishers' that you rarely see unless the wrestler is REAAAAAAAAAALLY struggling.

Yep, I love stuff like that. ABA Taker's Tombstone became a bigger deal during that run too because it was rarely used since the wedgie powerbomb was his primary finisher.

Things I'm enjoying about 2002 (currently up to May)

- Hulk Hogan's resurrection
- Kurt Angle
- The Undertaker's 'Biker Gimmick'
- Randy 'Generic CAW' Orton
- Diva Division
- Booker T & Goldust
- CM 'Indie as hell' Punk

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was just thinking about Hogan's WWE second run just today.

He was so insanely over. Like you would have thought it would die down after people were like 'ok he's back in WWE.' Nope. they were so loud for him during Brock/Hogan, and that's also when he had the standing ovation that went on for like 6 minutes.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't believe WWE is doing their "R-word" campaign right as the DeMott stuff is going on, talk about the worst timing lol.

Damn 10 years ago Cena looks so young. Maybe Rusev is right. Cena is too old.

Yup!

2002 sees Orton, Cena & Lesnar debut and Cena is the one who looks like he's aged the most.

He was so insanely over. Like you would have thought it would die down after people were like 'ok he's back in WWE.' Nope. they were so loud for him during Brock/Hogan, and that's also when he had the standing ovation that went on for like 6 minutes.

Yeah, it's totally insane and I've enjoyed every moment of it. It's totally turned me into a Hulkamaniac again, also he looks as good as he's ever been physique wise. It's odd watching 80s Hogan and 2002 Hogan, as somehow 2002 Hogan sort of looks younger and healthier haha
The whole NWO return, the match and turn during the feud with The Rock. Hogan winning the title again, McMahon hating on him (planting those seeds for the feud a few years down the line). It's a really good 'come back' run. Again The Undertaker plays a part in this too.

Yep, I love stuff like that. ABA Taker's Tombstone became a bigger deal during that run too because it was rarely used since the wedgie powerbomb was his primary finisher.

Yes!

Sephzilla

Yeah, it's totally insane and I've enjoyed every moment of it. It's totally turned me into a Hulkamaniac again, also he looks as good as he's ever been physique wise. It's odd watching 80s Hogan and 2002 Hogan, as somehow 2002 Hogan sort of looks younger and healthier haha

The whole NWO return, the match and turn during the feud with The Rock. Hogan winning the title again, McMahon hating on him (planting those seeds for the feud a few years down the line). It's a really good 'come back' run. Again The Undertaker plays a part in this too.

Yeah, Hogan's WWE return run was pretty good and I was also kind of surprised how over he got.

Hogan's hulk out against Rock at WM18 is still maybe the hardest I've ever marked out. Hogan did everything short of explode into the red and yellow DBZ style for that moment.

Hasney

That's because even tombstones were banned with the great piledriver ban. Taker just pulled it out now and again because what the fuck were they going to do?

Yeah, Hogan's WWE return run was pretty good and I was also kind of surprised how over he got.

Hogan's hulk out against Rock at WM18 is still maybe the hardest I've ever marked out. Hogan did everything short of explode into the red and yellow DBZ style for that moment.

Yeah, it was awesome even watching it for the second time around I still marked out haha there's just something about it that rekindles all those Childhood memories. It also sort of washes the last moments of Hogan's WCW career from the memory too. Those Red & Yellow attempts towards the end of WCW never felt right.

notworksafe

Yup!

2002 sees Orton, Cena & Lesnar debut and Cena is the one who looks like he's aged the most.

I dunno, Orton almost looks like a different person.

In fact I was watching Evolution vs Rock and Sock at 20 last night and my girlfriend said "Who's that? Does he still wrestle?" when she saw Orton.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He also took some crazy bumps too.

asew7.gif

Love me some Mania 19
d.gif

e.gif

In fact I was watching Evolution vs Rock and Sock at 20 last night and my girlfriend said "Who's that? Does he still wrestle?" when she saw Orton.

IC champion Orton is the best he's ever been, and he's been nowhere CLOSE to it since. IC Orton is the only time I thought 'yeah, he does deserve the push he's getting'

Actually, you're probably right. He looks like a total CAW Jobber in 2002 with his gel hair and silly short pants.

Love me some Mania 19
d.gif

e.gif

That match was really fun considering the distinct lack of 'wrestling ability' between the two involved! It's matches like that that really put over how important storytelling is for the WWE Product.

notworksafe

To cut Cena a little slack, the entire company has basically been foisted onto his back for the last decade. That'd take a toll on anyone.

Sephzilla

If Hogan was just a tad younger I'd love to see Hogan hulk out of an AA.

Yeah, it was awesome even watching it for the second time around I still marked out haha there's just something about it that rekindles all those Childhood memories. It also sort of washes the last moments of Hogan's WCW career from the memory too. Those Red & Yellow attempts towards the end of WCW never felt right.

The crowd absolutely going apeshit for that moment is obviously what makes it. My second favorite part of that moment in WM18 is Rock's face, it's a face that legitimately looks like Rock never in fact contemplated what he would do should Hulkamania run wild on him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That match was really fun considering the distinct lack of 'wrestling ability' between the two involved! It's matches like that that really put over how important storytelling is for the WWE Product.

A strong character can carry a mediocre wrestler. A strong wrestler can not carry a mediocre character. Not on a weekly show.

Finally watching the G1 Climax day 1 from last year! The entire 1st match I kept thinking that at some point WWE is going to come calling for Bad Luck Fale. He just screams random big schlub like a Big Show type to me.

A strong character can carry a mediocre wrestler. A strong wrestler can not carry a mediocre character. Not on a weekly show.

Yeah, totally. I mean take Axel over the last few weeks with his Royal Rumble and Axelmania crack.

The crowd absolutely going apeshit for that moment is obviously what makes it. My second favorite part of that moment in WM18 is Rock's face, it's a face that legitimately looks like Rock never in fact contemplated what he would do should Hulkamania run wild on him.

Another great in-ring storytelling example. Man, I'm going to watch it tonight.

Top Bottom