• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Cagey

Banned
christian-spear-o.gif

#GreatestSpear

He's delivering a diving clothesline to Orton's abs =/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When you hit someone and basically bounce off them with a spear, it makes you look weak as fuck. Like you can barely knock the dude over unlike Goldberg or Rhyno who just ran through people.

Hasney

I always thought Christians spear worked great as a tribute to his friend Edge.

By making his look good by comparison

Alucard

Banned
So, we're gonna put an offer down for a house this week. Super excited.

Seriously, first time buyers...GET A BROKER. Massive help with setting up house viewings and helping to understand paperwork and the overall process.

So, we're gonna put an offer down for a house this week. Super excited.

Seriously, first time buyers...GET A BROKER. Massive help with setting up house viewings and helping to understand paperwork and the overall process.

Good luck with it all! We had a guy help us out too, it was all totally free too, which I never understood. Helped us find the best mortgage for us and explained how it would all work.

I love seeing dudes get speared.

Biggest problem with Roman Reigns' spear isnt really the spear himself its just his trademark move and finisher have the same damn set up.

I'm a bit bored of setups, trademark moves, finishers and 'Get Up Taunts' in general at the moment. It makes things a little too 'predictable'.

Hasney

Good luck with it all! We had a guy help us out too, it was all totally free too, which I never understood. Helped us find the best mortgage for us and explained how it would all work.

He takes a commission from the mortgage lender. It's a pretty nice system since they all pay about the same so they're unbiased still.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm a bit bored of setups, trademark moves, finishers and 'Get Up Taunts' in general at the moment. It makes things a little too 'predictable'.

Yeah I agree with this. Watching old stuff on the network and its really interesting seeing people actually lose on random shit like a body slam or fading to a sleeper hold.

Also lots of dudes kicking out of pins just after the 3 count which is something you never ever see these days.

galvatron

The Streak didn't really become the streak until....well. I don't know actually. The first ten years had to be all coincidence.

Taker said in an interview (maybe Larry King or something? it was forever ago) when asked what he wanted his legacy to be and he said he didn't really have much in mind, but it would be nice if he could retire having never lost at Wrestlemania and have that be it. It was years before they started talking about the streak.

Yeah I agree with this. Watching old stuff on the network and its really interesting seeing people actually lose on random shit like a body slam or fading to a sleeper hold.

Also lots of dudes kicking out of pins just after the 3 count which is something you never ever see these days.

Stardust vs Goldust ? :)

I agree though. There are some old Samoa Joe matches in ROH where he beats Christopher Daniels while going for quick pins after some non-finishers when the muscle buster didn't get it done. Really nice touch.

Taker said in an interview (maybe Larry King or something? it was forever ago) when asked what he wanted his legacy to be and he said he didn't really have much in mind, but it would be nice if he could retire having never lost at Wrestlemania and have that be it. It was years before they started talking about the streak.

Kinda funny that, after The Streak did become a thing, there were stories about how Taker wanted it to be broken by[insert wrestler name here] (usually Orton) before he finally gave it to Lesnar.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I agree though. There are some old Samoa Joe matches in ROH where he beats Christopher Daniels while going for quick pins after some non-finishers when the muscle buster didn't get it done. Really nice touch.

The Punk and Joe shoot they talk about their matches and how Ricky Steamboat said not to spam finishers because it's dumb and ruins the impact once you hit your finisher.

...I guess Punk forget about that when he went to WWE a la Cena/Punk.

The Punk and Joe shoot they talk about their matches and how Ricky Steamboat said not to spam finishers because it's dumb and ruins the impact once you hit your finisher.

That's how I feel about WWE matches at the moment, like a match isn't going to end until all wrestlers have done their trademark pose/taunt, set up, and finisher.

Sephzilla

Real talk - I'd rather have finisher spam than watching one wrestler dish out multiple finishers only to get beaten by one. Remember that Ziggler/Cena cage match where Ziggler hit every finisher known to man and then lost from one AA? Or Daniel Bryan doing a couple of finishers but then losing to one spear from Reigns? That shit infuriates me.

galvatron

Kinda funny that, after The Streak did become a thing, there were stories about how Taker wanted it to be broken by[insert wrestler name here] (usually Orton) before he finally gave it to Lesnar.

I think he looked at it as just a fun bit of trivia, but once it became something of value he thought about paying it forward. I think the long list of people he was willing to give it to just underscores how little ego he had wrapped up in it.

Real talk - I'd rather have finisher spam than watching one wrestler dish out multiple finishers only to get beaten by one. Remember that Ziggler/Cena cage match where Ziggler hit every finisher known to man and then lost from one AA? Or Daniel Bryan doing a couple of finishers but then losing to one spear from Reigns? That shit infuriates me.

I don't mind it when it's built into a story, sort of like the CHIKARA SPECIAL.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bruce Pritchard wanted Roadkill to be one of Undertaker's WM opponents. I'm telling you guys. You NEED to watch Simon Dean's RF shoot. It is full of 'holy shit, really?' moments.

I think he looked at it as just a fun bit of trivia, but once it became something of value he thought about paying it forward. I think the long list of people he was willing to give it to just underscores how little ego he had wrapped up in it.

I never thought about it The Undertaker's amazing attitude towards putting people over until Siber mentioned it the other day. He really DOES make other people look good constantly. In 2002 he wins the title against Hogan, and then the next night on Raw he's loses to RVD in a title match (only for Flair to over rule the decision). Even the work the brief work he did with Maven was fun, and instantly made Maven 'famous' for that Elimination.

Sephzilla

I never thought about it The Undertaker's amazing attitude towards putting people over until Siber mentioned it the other day. He really DOES make other people look good constantly. In 2002 he wins the title against Hogan, and then the next night on Raw he's loses to RVD in a title match (only for Flair to over rule the decision). Even the work the brief work he did with Maven was fun, and instantly made Maven 'famous' for that Elimination.

IMO Undertaker also propelled Mick Foley into the status he's in today.

Alucard

Banned

Thanks, man. It's been all free for us too, but she explained that the bank will end up paying her. I guess because she's bringing clients to the bank who are paying interest to them with their mortgages? Maybe.

galvatron

I agree with that, but I think the main reason you can just fall back on finisher spam is that the crowd nowadays really doesn't seem to pick up on subtly. I remember face palming while Punk, Heyman, or Del Rio would be sarcastic when using a line that might get a pop from a face, but was supposed to get booed only to find the crowd singing along...or when they didn't know that the double turn was happening in Del Rio vs Ziggler.

The matches are basic because a large portion of the audience isn't really able to keep up with more...

That's one thing I love about NXT. They really protect the finishers. Instead of spamming them, they just don't hit them if they aren't supposed to win. Only one person has ever kicked out of the Red Arrow, for example.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Stardust vs Goldust ? :)

Yeah along those lines. Only it wasn't a "bad finish" back then, thats how most matches actually ended. Dudes kicking out right after the ref finished the count. It actually makes sense unlike now where a dude either kicks out at 2.5 or stays on the mat for 10 seconds.

And a lot of tag matches ending with the partner trying to run into the ring to make the save but not actually able to break the pin before the 3 count.

notworksafe

Roddy Piper can't keep up with Austin tossing him all these beers, Jesus.

Now there's a sumo match? What?

IMO Undertaker also propelled Mick Foley into the status he's in today.
They just worked so well together. I think it was some of the best work either of them did. They both helped each other so much in that program.

Yeah along those lines. Only it wasn't a "bad finish" back then, thats how most matches actually ended. Dudes kicking out right after the ref finished the count. It actually makes sense unlike now where a dude either kicks out at 2.5 or stays on the mat for 10 seconds.

And a lot of tag matches ending with the partner trying to run into the ring to make the save but not actually able to break the pin before the 3 count.

I've noticed Hogan did this a lot if he was ever pinned, he'd always kick out just after the 3 and look totally shocked. haha

Top Bottom