• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Mahonay

Banned
You would need another Vince to rise form the ashes.
Agreed. That's why I estimate about 10 years for it to fully get back to where it is now. That guy/woman needs to come along again.

Even though HHH and Steph ARE that next Vince level power in wrestling, they're obviously a part of the McMahon dynasty. This theory involves none of that existing anymore.

RP912

Banned
The problem with the NWA is that it's owner is the only interesting person they have

Not necessary true lol...there's still Ron Conway. As time progress, I see the promotion rising back on top...if not top...then at least on the radar like back in the day. They already doing youtube shows of past matches over the course of the month. At least there's some type of effort rather than it being a shell of it's former self.

TMZ is disgusting.

Via OSW Review

B_SChk1WsAAuxEu.jpg:large

RIP Romans quads :(

It also proves that trending worldwide on twitter means jack shit

Correct. Most trends are due to highschoolers talking about boy bands. No one gives a shit about Twitter trends.
Fuck, even gaming news hits worldwide trends every now and then.

Cagey

Banned
And WWE earned that value through having a good wrestling product. Another company would eventually become the "next WWE" and earn that value.

WWE earned that value through having a good product based on pro wrestling when pro wrestling was accepted by society at-large.

That time has passed. Pro wrestling is an incredibly niche entertainment product. The WWE brand as a weekly episodic television show with monthly special events is what draws people in. It's the soap opera spectacle involving wrestling matches affixed with the WWE brand which symbolizes Best of the Best, high production values, etc. That's the key: the WWE brand.

When that goes away, all that's left are a bunch of minuscule companies fighting yesterday's war: running a wrestling promotion in a world that's not interested in wrestling.

jmdajr

WWE earned that value through having a good product based on pro wrestling when pro wrestling was accepted by society at-large.

That time has passed. Pro wrestling is an incredibly niche entertainment product. The WWE brand as a weekly episodic television show with monthly special events is what draws people in. It's the soap opera spectacle involving wrestling matches affixed with the WWE brand which symbolizes Best of the Best, high production values, etc. That's the key: the WWE brand.

When that goes away, all that's left are a bunch of minuscule companies fighting yesterday's war: running a wrestling promotion in a world that's not interested in wrestling.

Absolutely. And it would still exist like Black Metal still exists. Someone will watch it.

right?

edit: Vince really worked hard to get the masses to watch this carny ass business. Really he did.

Paracelsus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrOwFrF01kM&t=521

Cagey

Banned
Absolutely. And it would still exist like Black Metal still exists. Someone will watch it.

right?

edit: Vince really worked hard to get the masses to watch this carny ass business. Really he did.

Exactly. It'll never become extinct, but it'll become much smaller and insignificant.

jmdajr

Boxing and Wrestling used to be the most watched sport on television back in the day. Hell, it was the easiest thing to shoot with one camera.

Mahonay

Banned

You act as if pro wrestling isn't still deeply engrained in pop culture.

Pro wrestling is not even close to dying off even if we're not in a boom period. WWE disappearing wouldn't suddenly erase wrestlng from the public's mind.

I understand being pessimistic about mainstream wrestling in it's current form, as I am as well.

Anyone here ever been to Korakuen Hall?

While its not confirmed just yet, I may be going in April. I asked a friend of mine who lives in Tokyo if he could get me a ticket for a New Japan Pro Wrestling Event taking place in Korakuen Hall on Friday the 17th of April. Pretty excited. Tickets go on sale over there this Saturday so I'm hoping he does manage to come through and get me a ticket. Been quite impressed with the NJPW product as of late, and I've always wanted to go to Korakuen Hall...it's been one of those "dream" things to do while in Tokyo. So, has anyone been and if so thoughts?

If WWE went under American professional wrestling would die, simple as that.

It would die in the sense of being a profitable way to make a living, but I doubt indie feds would cease to be. There is still a niche to be filled. But yeah, WWE ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

jmdajr

You act as if pro wrestling isn't still deeply engrained in pop culture.

Pro wrestling is not even close to dying off even if we're not in a boom period. WWE disappearing wouldn't suddenly erase wrestlng from the public's mind.

I understand being pessimistic about mainstream wrestling in it's current form, as I am as well.

When people think of wrestling they think WWF/WWE.

At one time people thought of video games simply as Nintendo. "Do you play Nintendo?" It took a loooooong ass time but it became "do you play Xbox or Playstation?"

WCW almost became that company for wrestling but..nope.

The NFL were once two separate leagues. AFL and NFL. No more. NFL is here for life. Too much history, too entrenched.

Personally I think WWE is the NFL. It's here for good. But people are entitled to their WWE death fantasies.

The only way WWE is in serious trouble is when Vince goes. Investors will probably start dumping stock when that happens. Lucky for them Vince is a beast and will still be there when he's 90-100.

Sou Da

At one time people thought of video games simply as Nintendo. "Do you play Nintendo?" It took a loooooong ass time but it became "do you play Xbox or Playstation?"

The NFL were once two separate leagues. AFL and NFL. No more. NFL is here for life. Too much history, too entrenched.

Personally I think WWE is the NFL. It's here for good. But people are entitled to their WWE death fantasies.
I was going to say something but you got it.

galvatron

At one time people thought of video games simply Nintendo. "Do you play nintendo?" It took a loooooong ass time but it became "do you play Xbox and Playstation?"

WCW almost became that company but..nope.

The NFL were once two separate leagues. AFL and NFL. No more. NFL is here for life.

I agree, in as much as any corporation is here for good.

I think the biggest contender for the WWE spot in terms of pop culture acceptance might be some sort of worked MMA (insert UFC match making jokes here). Still, really hard to keep anyone who becomes a huge star from leaving to make movies since its a job that doesn't take as large a physical toll for higher pay...then you're back to trying to invent the next star.

Those who think Brock is going to Bellator still, think again. From the Observer:

Although most feel that even though he could make money and beat lesser heavyweights in Bellator, that they are not in the running, because Lesnar only wants to be with the top organization. The idea is if he’s going to compete in a sport, he’s competing to be the best, and he can’t be that in Bellator.

Also, Rousey is a huge draw, even by herself.

While it’s too early to get PPV numbers, early indications based on the DirecTV numbers blew away even the most optimistic expectations. The early numbers were said to be far ahead of any Rousey singularly headlined fight in the past. It’s virtually a lock this will break the all-time record for a show headlined by a woman’s fight that the Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche fight did (450,000 buys), and could double the majority of pre-show estimates. I was told DirecTV numbers were roughly identical to the 1/31 show and Google searches for the show, which in most cases is an amazingly accurate predictor of PPV numbers, were four percent ahead of Silva vs. Diaz, and 26 percent below Jones vs. Cormier.

More on Brock

It is also believed that there is still a good chance he will sign his new deal with WWE. Only he knows how serious his idea of having unfinished business in UFC as being a reason he’s looking at leaving. Or whether he is saying that to use MMA as a leverage move to get a better deal for wrestling.

More on Joe, and a note on Balor's pay

In some form, Joe is WWE-bound. Whether it’s a short-term tryout type deal, an NXT deal, or NXT with the idea of moving him quickly to the main roster isn’t clear. One would think, given what A.J. Styles earned independently this past year, that Joe isn’t going anywhere for any length of time based on the kind of money offered to people in developmental, although Finn Balor came in with a significant deal and is still working developmental, so they’ve changed how they pay at least some of the guys they sign who they know have options to make money elsewhere and they have to be competitive to get them.

WWE wants ROH talent

There is a significant amount of current ROH talent that WWE has interest in right now, because they are both a lot more open-minded about smaller faster-paced indie style wrestlers and because they are interested in expanding NXT into a nationally touring group, and to do so, they need more guys who are poised enough to be headliners.

Brock will make close to 5 million his first fight back for UFC. Why would he want to go anywhere else?

So he is leaving..............I knew it.

Dana was going to pull out all the stops.

And Vince and WWE are left holding their ding a lings....................................again.

somedevil

From the Observer:

There is a significant amount of current ROH talent that WWE has interest in right now, because they are both a lot more open-minded about smaller faster-paced indie style wrestlers and because they are interested in expanding NXT into a nationally touring group, and to do so, they need more guys who are poised enough to be headliners.

If this is true ROH is probably real nervous right now with Sinclair not giving them the money to prevent this.

ROH could be number 2 but Sinclair doesn't want to give them any money to make this happen.

edit: Beaten

Punk update

C.M. Punk has been doing more live training with other fights as opposed to just skill drills. The extensive training has led to him dropping weight and the belief is now he’ll fight at welterweight. Originally it was thought he would fight at middleweight, or possibly welterweight. The plan right now is that around July, the UFC and his coaches will get together and figure out where he stands, and then think about scheduling a fight for him and the caliber of opponent they feel would be a fair debut fight. He did a public appearance in Chicago over the weekend and had a crew filming him for a documentary. We don’t know this, but it would make sense for UFC to produce a documentary on his training and quest to fight for FS 1 and air it prior to his debut. Punk will walking Anthony Pettis to the cage in the main event of the next UFC show.

Side story about boxing and the stupid amounts of money

While not yet official, this is the word going around on Mayweather-Pacquiao on 5/2. It is believed the PPV prices will be either $89.95 (SD) and $99.95 (HD), or $99.95 (SD) and $109.95 (HD), that Mayweather will earn $120 million and Pacquiao will earn $80 million. They are projecting $400 million in revenue, which would be a $40 million live gate, and the rest from PPV, sponsors, overseas rights, and rights fees to broadcast at establishments, including projecting 3 million buys on PPV. There is talk that the tickets at the MGM Grand will range from $250,000 for the front row down to $3,500 for the cheapest seats, but that is just rumored at this point. They say there will be no comps, whether you are a former world champion or an A-list movie star. Las Vegas hotels, as soon as the fight was announced, were quadrupling usual weekend room rates.

Hall of Fame update

There are reports that for whatever reason, that the Ray Stevens Hall of Fame induction was canceled. One would think that if it’s not done this year, it will never be done. When I asked about it, it was said to be about “Card Subject to Change” and the fact this is about speeches with living people and with Savage, the big star, not being alive, they didn’t want anyone else who wasn’t alive this year so they changed their minds on Stevens. There is a WrestleMania magazine that hit the newsstands that listed the Hall of Fame class with Kevin Nash as the one person left that hasn’t been announced, and he is the only person we’ve been told is yet to be announced. They are reported to be going with Nash last, not Savage, because Nash is still alive, with Shawn Michaels inducting him. I guess with a few weeks left they can always change it back, but it seems unlikely. The fact they didn’t want anyone else who wasn’t living this year because of Savage was also why Elizabeth wasn’t inducted as many hoped. Plus, with Elizabeth, she died a typical wrestling death and those are the kinds of deaths they don’t like to call attention to, and if they were put in at the same time, it’s hard to avoid the divorce, and the divorce wasn’t part of the Savage/Elizabeth fairytale storyline WWE had.

Mahonay

Banned

Damn. This makes a lot of sense.

notworksafe

WM22 kicking off with Carlito/Chris Masters vs Big Show/Kane

This seems like a one sided match in terms of popularity for the time.

I made an attempt to watch some Dragon Gate through the daily motion app on the Xbox 360 but the stupid thing wouldn't play anything I chose. Really want to see the Uhaa farewell.

Anyone here ever been to Korakuen Hall?

While its not confirmed just yet, I may be going in April. I asked a friend of mine who lives in Tokyo if he could get me a ticket for a New Japan Pro Wrestling Event taking place in Korakuen Hall on Friday the 17th of April. Pretty excited. Tickets go on sale over there this Saturday so I'm hoping he does manage to come through and get me a ticket. Been quite impressed with the NJPW product as of late, and I've always wanted to go to Korakuen Hall...it's been one of those "dream" things to do while in Tokyo. So, has anyone been and if so thoughts?

I don't have any feedback for you but I am insanely jealous if you pull this off. Please keep us informed on if you get to go and post a crap ton of pix from the show.

Big One

Banned
If they're going to tour with NXT with some ROH talent they GOT to get AJ Styles. he could headline small indie shows by himself in the main event and draw a decent amount of money.

somedevil

Well this news will probably not make people happy here:

Ticket sales for WrestleMania 31 have picked up since the Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar main event was made official after Fastlane. Comped tickets are well down from 2014 and the pace of ticket sales is said to be slightly ahead of WrestleMania XXX at this time.

I don't have any feedback for you but I am insanely jealous if you pull this off. Please keep us informed on if you get to go and post a crap ton of pix from the show.

If Yoshiki pulls through and manages to score me a ticket, then yes, I will indeed be posting a ton of photos here. Really hoping he does pull through.

Big One

Banned
WWE dying at this point would be the only thing to save pro wrestling. The number of independent wrestlers would increase drastically. Guys that people don't want to see anymore like John Cena will stop wrestling.

Someone else would get a TV deal cause USA wants wrestling in that timeslot cause it draws viewers.

You'd probably see the return of regional enterprises.

Wouldn't be such a bad thing either.

It is a bit of a stretch to say that if WWE dies than American Pro Wrestling would die as well. It would be dead in the eyes of the mainstream, but Indy feds would still thrive. Their niche market wouldn't just go away over night because the big promotion disappeared.

Again, in the eyes of the mainstream who has no interest in watching Indy promotions than yes, Wrestling would be dead...but for the devoted audience, it would still exist.

Who knows? Maybe from the ashes rises a new phoenix that changes the business?

But again, this is completely hypothetical as in reality the WWE isn't going anywhere. Despite how I feel about their main product, that company is not just going to die over night...then again, weirder things have happened.

Top Bottom