• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

jmdajr

Still left out the WM3 "93k attendance" myth.

There have been numerous claims since WrestleMania III that the quoted attendance figure of 93,173 which established a world record attendance for an indoor event, was false and that the real attendance figure was only around 78,000. This is based on claims by Dave Meltzer upon receiving information from the events promoter Zane Bresloff, and that wrestling promoters (including Vince McMahon) were known to regularly inflate attendance figures to make things look better. While the WWE and Silverdome management have always maintained that the 93,173 figure is correct, debate continues among wrestling fans as to what the true attendance was on the day.[39] In 2008, Bleacher Report correspondent Jason Savage alleged that the information which Meltzer received was flawed.[40] Hall noted that the Silverdome, which at the time had a seating capacity of 80,311 for football games, was able to add approximately 13,000 seats for the event.[40] Hall also stated that a pictorial analysis showed that the stadium appeared to have no empty seats during the event and that it was also reported that Pope John Paul II's visit to the Silverdome a few months later drew a higher crowd attendance of 93,682.[40]

Officially Wrestlemania III ranks as the highest attended event in WWE history, ahead of the 80,676 who attended WrestleMania 29 at the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey in 2013, and the 80,355 who attended SummerSlam 1992 at Wembley Stadium in London, England.

stuffs

Sephzilla

I don't mean to drag ComicsGAF in here but this actually made me openly laugh.

Warner Bros. CEO says DC movies are edgier than Marvels and this fun little quote was in there.

They’re steeped in realism, and they’re a little bit edgier than Marvel’s movies.

Because an invulnerable alien, amazonian from a mystery island, green space power ranger, a guy who's so fast he can run back in time, and a martian need to be steeped in realism. DC movies need a fuckload more FnP in them.

Sephzilla

The Marvel heroes kill people all the time. Captain America mows down folks in his movies.

Those characters don't have pre-established no kill rules (or in Superman's case, avoiding it at all costs). I'm more accepting of a superhero like Cap or Iron Man who's established at the very start as being willing to off someone in order to get the job done as apposed to shit like Batman where they try to portray him as someone who's above killing but then totally dance around the fact that he just killed someone.

Watched AIW's show from December - a bit on the long side (3 1/2 hours is an hour too much, imo), but there were some fun matches, highlighted by Uhaa Nation vs Josh Alexander and a goddamn slobberknocker between Chris Hero & Eddie Kingston. First time these dudes locked up in over five years and I forgot how much I enjoy seeing them beat the tar out of each other. This match really showed the potential Fat Hero has and Hero is the opponent that brings the best out of Kingston. Awesome stuff.

G4A1OhS.gif

What are some quality Indy promotions you guys could recommend? I'm looking for quality in ring and from a production side of things. Just curious as I enjoyed PROGRESS after all the talk of them in this thread and am looking for something new and fun to watch.

jred2k

What are some quality Indy promotions you guys could recommend? I'm looking for quality in ring and from a production side of things. Just curious as I enjoyed PROGRESS after all the talk of them in this thread and am looking for something new and fun to watch.

PWG is fun. The shows can be hard to watch in on sitting because it as all-out the whole time. It looks pretty good for an indy and the crowd has a ton of energy which really helps the shows.

You'll have to order DVDs, though. If you want a promotion with more of an online presence you can check out Smash Wrestling. They put quite a bit of content on their YouTube channel and I'll always be happy to see someone support a Canadian indy.

Yeah I watch PWG, ROH, LU, Progress, etc but would love to check out some Canadian feds and I honestly prefer dvds but am ok with downloads too. Been thinking of checking out AAW and AIW lately and may drive up to check out a Dreamwave show soon.

cdViking

Totally depends on the scale you're looking for. If you're into super smarky, but really, really, really fun matches, Pro Wrestling Guerilla is unbeatable. Ring of Honor is a more "serious" thing, sort of halfway between WWE and PWG in terms of it's story importance. NJPW is the best in-ring product in the second half of its cards.

Heads up though, that production is pretty bad in most independent events tapings. ROH's sound and replays are awful, commentary can be a mixed bag at best (though I do like PWG's commentary a lot).

cdViking

Despite talking mad trash about WWE for months on end, I just purchased 3rd row ringside for a house show (opposite normal camera view for tv).

Help me GAF, I think I'm a WWE degen (à la gambling, not of the X variety).

jmdajr

Despite talking mad trash about WWE for months on end, I just purchased 3rd row ringside for a house show (opposite normal camera view for tv).

Go. Have Fun. Boo and Cheer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watched AIW's show from December - a bit on the long side (3 1/2 hours is an hour too much, imo), but there were some fun matches, highlighted by Uhaa Nation vs Josh Alexander and a goddamn slobberknocker between Chris Hero & Eddie Kingston. First time these dudes locked up in over five years and I forgot how much I enjoy seeing them beat the tar out of each other. This match really showed the potential Fat Hero has and Hero is the opponent that brings the best out of Kingston. Awesome stuff.

Fat Hero is a great future imho. 3.5 hours for an indie show is tough though, that's pretty long.

Yeah I watch PWG, ROH, LU, Progress, etc but would love to check out some Canadian feds and I honestly prefer dvds but am ok with downloads too. Been thinking of checking out AAW and AIW lately and may drive up to check out a Dreamwave show soon.

AAW & AIW are good, although the venues they run are a bit indie looking (especially AIW). For Canadian feds, check out SMASH Wrestling. The building they run is a bit indie looking, but they have some good production on their shows, nice vignettes and match graphics, etc, plus the product is a lot of fun. One of my favourite things about them is that the shows are always really well paced and never go longer than 2 1/2 hours, which is the sweet spot for an indie wrestling show I find.

So, my wife and I put an offer down for a house last night. Went 16,000 below the asking price, which is equal to the municipal assessment price. Hoping they counter by around 8,000 higher and we'll accept from there. Exciting times, but tons of paperwork and throwing around of money is incoming.

Congrats! Is this your first home?

Edit: Should say good luck.

jred2k

AAW & AIW are good, although the venues they run are a bit indie looking (especially AIW). For Canadian feds, check out SMASH Wrestling. The building they run is a bit indie looking, but they have some good production on their shows, nice vignettes and match graphics, etc, plus the product is a lot of fun. One of my favourite things about them is that the shows are always really well paced and never go longer than 2 1/2 hours, which is the sweet spot for an indie wrestling show I find.

SMASH also treats women's matches like they matter, which is nice. They have an all female show coming up in June and I'm sure Data would be happy to know Portia is on the card.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I saw the GF gold banner while visiting a thread, what does it mean? I always thought it was a joke, is it?

not a joke, it's definitely paid for itself with what's added. easiest sub I've ever made. Gotta PM Evilore about it though if you want it as it isn't publicized.

Inspire Pro's card for the 22nd looks final. If you are a Central Texas wrassleGAFer, you know what to do. (I think front row already "sold out," but they usually release a handful of additional seats when the poster comes out.)

YshuBI6.jpg

Heroman

Banned

House are whack but fun.

AAW is the one that's been on my list of promotions to check out. I hear rumblings about RCCW Wrestling.

SHIMMER and SHINE are still out there doing their thing.

Smash Wrestling, ECCW, and C4 Wrestling from Canada were pretty good for a while.

And don't forget at about wXw; the 16 Carat Gold tournament is always good.

tm24

Wrestlecon just announced that theyre doing Aerostar vs Andrew Everett vs Jack Evans. That's one hell of a match

Toki767

So I guess I'll be going to Mania to witness Reigns' crowning moment before he fail to be a draw.

What do we think the SummerSlam main event is even going to be? I was thinking Reigns vs Cena, but considering the market they'll be in, that might get crapped on pretty badly.

Top Bottom