• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Alucard

Banned
Do you often imagine yourself in the mind of a twelve year old, Alucard?

Should we call somebody?

Nah, I was just trying to think how the show compared to my own memories of old Superstars and Main Event episodes. That made me think that kids today are probably enjoying the characters and matches just as much as I did when I was a kid. Kids will be talking about Rusev 15 years from now how I talk about Animal or Hawk or anyone else from the early 90s.

RP912

Banned
Ugh I dunno....

As a kid I really felt like the wrestlers during that time brought out the mark in me. It just seems not the case with the wrestlers nowadays because everything is one big shoot. I wanted to kick the shins of every wrestler that put the Undertaker in the casket at RR94. You can't recreate that same feeling in 2015 with the current WWE roster. WWE has the gimmicks but....that's it. No storylines, no vignettes, no backstage chaos, and etc to make children become marks in a good way.

It's not the same.

RP912

Banned
Did they ever updated Raw at all?

The last time I had the network...The last raw was in late 94/95ish I think...

Xater

Superstars was good this week
tsbn6f8.gif

How long before Vince says she's too fat?

MC Safety

Wasn't it the Onion's AV Club who called R-Truth a modern-day minstrel show?

Dare I say it? There's some truth to that criticism.

krae_man

why did Eddie Guerrero get pushed?

just curious seeing that he was only 5'8 and not a white guy

wasn't he supposed to get another push at WM22 for the WHC?

Lots of hispanics have been WWE champion. Not being white doesn't matter in that case. Also remember for most of that time the WWE title was the B title.

Lots of hispanics have been WWE champion. Not being white doesn't matter in that case. Also remember for most of that time the WWE title was the B title.

somewhat unrelated response but it seemed like both those titles were about equal from WM 19-22ish

they both were defended in about the same number of main events

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Shelton Benjamin just did a front flip off a 20 foot ladder, yeah, is good. Kofee doing some mad shit as well.

Why was Benjamin cut or did he quit? I stopped watching for like 10 years or something.

Cena has never done anything awesome or cool, people need to stop with this. Just say you're 12 years old and we will understand. Not approve, but understand.

Alucard

Banned
Ugh I dunno....

As a kid I really felt like the wrestlers during that time brought out the mark in me. It just seems not the case with the wrestlers nowadays because everything is one big shoot. I wanted to kick the shins of every wrestler that put the Undertaker in the casket at RR94. You can't recreate that same feeling in 2015 with the current WWE roster. WWE has the gimmicks but....that's it. No storylines, no vignettes, no backstage chaos, and etc to make children become marks in a good way.

It's not the same.

You have to keep in mind you're saying this as someone who knows that wrestling is scripted, and as someone who participates in online smark discussions about this stuff. I'm sure you would say "this shit is terrible" to tons of stuff from your own personal golden era if you had the perspective then that you have now.

Cena has never done anything awesome or cool, people need to stop with this. Just say you're 12 years old and we will understand. Not approve, but understand.

In his original run, Hogan done nothing of any real interest. Just had a moustache and spouted catchphrases.

Take out those rose-tinted eyeballs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cena has a bunch of great moments. He also has an equal or greater amount of cringe worthy ones. His main issue as ever is that he's overexposed.

Hogan would show up on Saturday Night's Main Event and the PPVs, and maybe one All American/Superstars/Whatever a year. During the Monday Night Wars he'd be on important Nitros and PPVs.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Old ass Steam Boat is putting on a decent match with Jericho. If I'm completely honest they old ass Steam Boat and Jericho have exactly the same physique, Steam Boat might actually be in better shape here.

Nah, I was just trying to think how the show compared to my own memories of old Superstars and Main Event episodes. That made me think that kids today are probably enjoying the characters and matches just as much as I did when I was a kid. Kids will be talking about Rusev 15 years from now how I talk about Animal or Hawk or anyone else from the early 90s.

Pretty much this. Look online at old RSPW postings and you'll see people bitching about the era of wrestling you first fell in love with.

Alucard

Banned
I just read a Raw review from 1998 that had Steve Blackman vs. Jeff Jarrett, Mankind vs. Val Venis, X-Pac vs. Ken Shamrock, and The Headbangers vs. Droz and Animal. It also had Undertaker vs. Kane and The Rock vs. D'lo Brown.

The reviewer's conclusion:

Overall Rating: B-. This is one of those shows that’s all about drama and storytelling and all that stuff. The wrestling here meant nothing but that was a very common occurrence back then. The Vince/Austin stuff is one of their more famous moments and would of course result in Austin being rehired very soon. I wouldn’t call this show good, but it was certainly entertaining which is the big idea at this point, especially when it was Warrior vs. Hogan over on Nitro at this point.

------

So yeah, wrestling that means nothing was going on in 1998 too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The thing about attitude era WWF is that everyone had a character and storyline. It was way more entertaining and fun to watch.

The non ppv wrestling is awful though until 2000, but the angles were so hype you didn't give a shit most of the time.

Alucard

Banned
I will say that two of the best Raws this year, which include this past week's and the one where they were snowed out, featured very little actual wrestling. (the snowed out one being an exception with the Rumble footage)

why did Eddie Guerrero get pushed?

just curious seeing that he was only 5'8 and not a white guy

wasn't he supposed to get another push at WM22 for the WHC?

WWE didn't have plans for Eddie going that far. Rey got the belt basically for Eddie...and then lost all the time. Hell of a title reign. Eddie was short, but FUCKING JACKED TO THE GILLS and got the title after clearly being too big for his frame and of course dying as a result of that alongside the drug cocktail he'd put his body through for years.

Valentus

Please Vince, for the love of God give a manager to Balor when he gets promoted to the main roster, not because he cant do promos, but his gimnick screams for a manager for the promos and he being a silent menace. Is really awesome what wwe are doing with Devitt.

Top Bottom