• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We don't need any sort of split. We just need to do better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. What do you suggest glorious leader

Do we have any Mania week events planned this year? Maybe mix in some indy stuff in those?

Nothing really. Just stop saying racist and sexist things and I'm happy as a clam

The Paul Heyman promos are solid yet it bugs me that he himself is the one man doing his damnedest to build up beyond the current lukewarm reception to the WM main event and they sometimes veer off in odd directions. He's cutting these heel promos where he effectively manages to build up Reigns and Lesnar at the same time, like sure he finishes with the underlying point of no one beating his client BROOOOCK LESNAR but throughout he's peppered in points to elevate Reigns as well like he's pulling double duty here, it sometimes feels a bit jarring.
Basically it's a shame that Heyman has to really try and sell this himself much more than the actual wrestlers in the main event match. I might get a better match out of Paul just narrating the booking of the match in the middle of the ring at WM.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I still like Wyatt and Heyman promos, but it's not the only game in town. I like Cunt promos too.

I must have missed that in the raw discussion i skimmed through

Don't go back in there, it's gross.

FyreWulff

Well that's what you do, build the other guy and talk him up so your guy in theory is given more of a rub if he were to beat him.

Also, they could totally just go ahead and book Cena as a heel and all the kids would just assume he's a face as long as he doesn't attack other faces. The character cheats to win more than the damn heels do!

klonere

Banned
When I was lurking the thread it always struck me how many people posted during Raw about Raw. Of course the thread is full of a myriad of folks talking about wrasslin promotions from one side of the world to the other but the one topic that everybody gets together for "appointment TV" is. I suppose that WWE by killing domestic competition in their space is the only show of its kind on TV, big production, touring around the country, some semblance of feeling "yes this is a big thing that lots of others like and I feel comfortable watching it" rather than the dirty, dingy indie flippy shit that Stro used to go off on or some foreign stuff that I can't 100% appreciate.

I'd like to think that if LU was on an easier to access network more people would talk about it. Hell I was pretty surprised at the low number of people live chatting NXT every week - if you put yourself through 3 hours of Raw every Monday I dunno why you'd skip on NXT.

Is it a simple habit at this stage? The 3 hour smoke break you just can't shake? Cos its easy to just flip to USA when its on?

this is a lot of navel gazing bullshit

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's what you do, build the other guy and talk him up so your guy in theory is given more of a rub if he were to beat him.

Also, they could totally just go ahead and book Cena as a heel and all the kids would just assume he's a face as long as he doesn't attack other faces. The character cheats to win more than the damn heels do!

I remember a fun article about faces being shitheads. Hulk Hogan's treatment of Iron Sheik was referenced heavily. It sucks. Good article though.

When I was lurking the thread it always struck me how many people posted during Raw about Raw. Of course the thread is full of a myriad of folks talking about wrasslin promotions from one side of the world to the other but the one topic that everybody gets together for "appointment TV". I suppose that WWE by killing domestic competition in their space is the only show of its kind on TV, big production, touring around the country, some semblance of feeling "yes this is a big thing that lots of others like and I feel comfortable watching it" rather than the dirty, dingy indie flippy shit that Stro used to go off on.

I'd like to think that if LU was on an easier to access network more people would talk about it. Hell I was pretty surprised at the low number of people live chatting NXT every week - if you put yourself through 3 hours of Raw every Monday I dunno why you'd skip on NXT.

Is it a simple habit at this stage? The 3 hour smoke break you just can't shake?

this is a lot of navel gazing bullshit

I usually find myself never looking at the thread during Raw because it honestly moves too fast for me, and I don't watch Raw in full usually either. It's weird, lots of people just show up for Raw and nothing else.

RP912

Banned
Advice to avoid last nights doozy...

Watch something else at 8pm.

For a minute I was watching CSGO streams and trying to finish my backlog, the results were positive.

jmdajr

I diagnose this thread with a case of watching Raw live induced insanity. Having 10 minutes of watchable content out of 3 hours cannot be good for ones psyche.

They managed to kill my interest in pretty much all of the WM matches so far.

- IC Belt is now actually been properly acknowledged as comedy foil. All the great talent in that match is getting shit on from on high.

- Kidd Cesaro are going to be in some multi man tag which won't be good and probably on the pre show

- No singles match for the feud that gets the biggest reaction every week

- No singles match for my personal favorites the Dust Brothers

- Sting/Undertaker feuds are both very difficult to care about where the most important members of the feud are missing.

- Seth has been made to look like a complete idiot

- Roman Reigns main event Wrestlemania.

Pretty confident I'll be skipping out on the show in my first year of watching lol. Roll on the next NXT special and LU episodes.

You'll be here.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Brock Lesnar is the only person who makes me think wrestling is still real.
I think he's the last man who honors kayfabe and makes his wrestling look like a shoot when it's a work that's he's shooting and it's working me over. Makes the jabroni in me mark.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
We don't need any sort of split. We just need to do better.
tumblr_nkyztzZk011rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

Good god almighty that Raw was a long, tedious nightmare to slog through. I feel like Alucard when I say that I actually enjoyed watching last weekends ROH tv more and hey it was only an hour.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good god almighty that Raw was a long, tedious nightmare to slog through. I feel like Alucard when I say that I actually enjoyed watching last weekends ROH tv more and hey it was only an hour.

"It only wasted my time for an hour instead of three. Pretty good!"

We're all dying inside. Who wants to attend a Nitro Party?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever happen to Rawternative... I catch a show a few Monday nights ago and it was actually ok.

Boots has you covered. The Bootaaayest Rawlternative:

Watched the SHINE iPPV over the weekend, pretty solid event, nothing spectacular and a few duds but the Neveah vs Mia Yim 2/3 falls match was pretty good. Move of the night was this cartwheel kneedrop from Crazy Mary Dobson;

nGs4G5L.gif

Watched some random matches while everyone was watching RAW last night as well, an Ishikawa vs Ikeda war from '97;

ruGy16w.gif

Kanemoto almost murdering Kaz Hayashi from the '98 BoSJ;

YOENQlT.gif

And Baba vs Gene Kiniski from 1967;

pG7oyJk.gif

The crowd were crazy in that match, totally went mad when Gene was beating Baba bloody. Notice in the gif above the fan that jumps on the apron and tries to shake Gene off the ropes, the whole place was going nuts, especially when he started to lock in a claw hold on Baba's throat. Incidentally, Gene was the NWA World Champion at the time, but the match was being fought for Baba's NWA International title which he retained. JWA wanted to raise the stock of the international belt and having Baba beat the NWA World Champ did just that.

Lots of good shit in this post, I need to watch that SHINE iPPV but I don't know if I can afford it at the moment. With SHINE I like to support it so I won't turn to piracy.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I usually defend Raw and am entertained but yeah last night was bad.

how do you not bring out Reigns when Lesnar is there? Heyman is carrying two guys. It's really impressive but at the same time not working because it's impossible without any help from the 2 men actually involved.

RP912

Banned
Boots has you covered. The Bootaaayest Rawlternative:

Lots of good shit in this post, I need to watch that SHINE iPPV but I don't know if I can afford it at the moment. With SHINE I like to support it so I won't turn to piracy.

thanks...will keep it in mind next Monday.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lesnar can hold his own in the promo department and he doesn't even have to say anything significant, he just has to be himself.

Never forget the COME ON OUT HERE, BABY night. Got people excited. Real Ass Bork Laser.

Penguin

Advice to avoid last nights doozy...

Watch something else at 8pm.

For a minute I was watching CSGO streams and trying to finish my backlog, the results were positive.

I usually watch Gotham, but it had to go on break for Mania season.

Was flipping back and forth between Raw and Jane the Virgin though.

Also totally Ziggler doing the Sting voice-over curious why they couldn't get Sting to do it himself.

Sephzilla

I still don't know. I saw someone say something shitty and then get called a GamerGoober by everyone while skimming Raw chat, but I think I missed something really bad.

This wouldn't be the first time a WrassleGAFer got falsely called a GamerGater in order to make him/herself look holier than thou.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly though, I have no interest in Rawlternative because I enjoy Raw this time of year. It's a shame because most of the appeal is what MAY happen, but I enjoy WWE's programming right now. I just can't find time to watch it live enough.

This wouldn't be the first time a WrassleGAFer got falsely called a GamerGater in order to make him/herself look holier than thou.

qHWYx1k.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
besides their tits, what else do you like about the Bellas?

Sephzilla

Seriously though, I hate the Bellas. They're good looking girls (Nikki more than Brie) but that's about it. They're horrible on the microphone, Brie sucks in the ring, and while Nikki is a competent ring worker it unfortunately gets negated by the fact that Brie is always at ringside screaming C'MON NIKKI the entire fucking match. And they hog the womens division spotlight as much as Cena hogs the main event and as much as the Usos hog the tag division spotlight.

scabro

Seriously though, I hate the Bellas. They're good looking girls (Nikki more than Brie) but that's about it. They're horrible on the microphone, Brie sucks in the ring, and while Nikki is a competent ring worker it unfortunately gets negated by the fact that Brie is always at ringside screaming C'MON NIKKI the entire fucking match. And they hog the womens division spotlight as much as Cena hogs the main event and as much as the Usos hog the tag division spotlight.

would you even say theyre like a cancer to the divas division?

RP912

Banned
I dunno...Nikki Bella been on some juggernaut shit with her wrestling lately. She's approving despite being a Bella. I would love to see her going against Bae in NXT.

There, there, everybody.

baymax_and_hiro_hugging_by_candygirlblanc23-d89l29j.jpg

Also, I feel like this gif has potential for uses in a number of situations, from describing Big Show or Kane to the next time an AssBiz or Thickie James pic is posted.

IbSMUcj.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Still way too many restholds. This is a WWE overall issue, but the women especially should be booked way more like cruiserweights, especially considering they never get more than 10-12 minutes. Just keep it high paced and play to the women's smaller stature, instead of the default WWE style bs of two minute rest holds.

Top Bottom