• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Anth0ny

There are some promising talents in NXT that could get elevated and deliver some fresh and promising new feuds and matches. Even Reigns' time in the main event should be better once he's free of the anchors that are The Big Show, Kane and being overshadowed by Heyman's promo skills and the hyperfocus of a Mania spot he's not ready for.

It'll be a great weight lifted off his shoulders and his program with Rollins should be solid... especially if Seth's not booked so much like a comedy act. Curious as to who his 2nd title program will be against although top candidates right now would appear to be Rusev, Wyatt and Sheamus.

omg this optimism

1. Balor will probably make his debut on Raw after Mania... in a loss against his good buddy Sheamus. Sheamus will shake his hand afterwards and they will become a tag team. Charlotte will also make her debut at this show, beat AJ for the title, and settle into the divas division where 2 minute matches ending in DQ are the norm and nothing means anything.

2. Free of the anchors that are Big Show and Kane? I can honestly see him feuding with those two from Mania to Summer Slam, where he'll take on Rollins. At the very least he's gonna be fighting them on fucking Raw and Smackdown every week.

3. I can see a Rollins program happening, but not before Rollins cashes in on new champion Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania, only to lose after taking a superman punch to the face. Balee dat.

4. Rusev will be 2015's Bray Wyatt after losing clean to Cena at Mania. After losing to Taker at Mania, I guess you can pair Wyatt up with Roman, though I personally have no interest in that pairing. Sheamus will be the same old babyface as he's always been, and probably be a part of the various 6 man tags on Raw every week alongside Cena and Reigns to face Kane, Big Show and Rollins.

ahh there we go

DMczaf

tumblr_nkxsfgU5mT1tmi2lvo1_400.gif

Paracelsus

So they work the crowd at a house show with something that they could desperately use on live tv since Rollins is as hot as antarctica right now.

Toki767

i predict new wwe champion roman reigns enters a grueling two month feud with the big shoe after wrestlemania

There is no chance that they'll do that. They want to avoid giving Reigns the Bryan treatment so he'll probably be facing Rollins, then Rusev, maybe even Triple H by SummerSlam.

ghostmind

For those of you with NJPW World, the NJ Cup house show from yesterday wasn't anything special. The most entertaining match was Tetsuya Naito, Tomoaki Honma and Manabu Nakanishi vs Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows and Cody Hall.

Paracelsus

It depends on what they want to do with their big new supestahr. Austin lost 5 months later, Cena didn't lose the title for 8, Batista was supposed to drop the belt after a year without getting pinned, Rock was pseudo-buried at WM but won at Backlash and lost the title 6 months later.

If they really want to go with the program that Reigns actually beats Lesnar, they have to try harder with writing, like that Reigns wins but he's a mess, possibly bloody, and Rollins pins him, then you set some big rematch for not-Backlash, have him take back the title (the way Edge lost at the Royal Rumble 2006) and then maybe insert Ambrose in the thing for a shield triple threat at Summerslam. I don't think they hate Reigns the same way they hated Bryan, so they won't put him in "interest killer" feuds like Kane or Big Show.

I'm curious about Rusev. Oomanga was still a believable monster heel after putting Cena over, because they made him lose twice in a row in fancy ways (fluke schoolboy and choked out).

Jesus, what the hell happened in this thread?
Raw happened.

Honestly nothing in the two hours I watched was compelling. And that fake commercial bit was so fucking cringe worthy along side Rollins being so fucking oblivious to Randy's threat. It's okay to have a chicken shit heel, just don't compound that with stupidity, make him conniving. His beat down at the end was incredibly boring, and he's one of the two dudes I currently like of the main roster. I don't feel compelled to watch because I'm not excited about this match.

Same with Rusev, the dude is on point but working with Cena is like working with a wall. Cena is so flat, he's the same character no matter how he acts... Seriously he's been more of a heel than anyone, yet he's suppose to be the super hero.

And Reigns? Dude is just not being used correctly no one is excited to see he him outside of maybe some fan girls and kids.

Bryan was a no show for the last parts of the show.

And what the fuck was up with the lame concert with Wiz, they didn't implement any story bits, any sensible side entertainment with it. Dude looked like he was half asleep (I know he's high, but even then show some energy).

I'm listening to the LAW review of Raw, and they think that the voice over in the Sting video was Dolph Ziggler, with the pitch altered.

UberTag

There is no chance that they'll do that. They want to avoid giving Reigns the Bryan treatment so he'll probably be facing Rollins, then Rusev, maybe even Triple H by SummerSlam.
The big question is who they'll have Reigns lose the title to and when.
I doubt he loses the belt before Night of Champions (Seth won't be successfully cashing in on him) and it seems likely he'll face Cena at Mania (although they could always hold that off until Mania 33).
Would be shocked if this reign is any less than 6 months and it'll probably run longer than that. Seems most likely that Sheamus takes the belt away from Reigns than anyone else.

So like are they ever gonna have Brok and Reigns in the ring face to face, fight it out at least once before Mania?

Heyman's great but he can only do so much.

So... how many times in the last year has Brock appeared on RAW and done nothing except stand next to Paul?

Its a pretty sweet gig he has landed himself.

Toki767

So... how many times in the last year has Brock appeared on RAW and done nothing except stand next to Paul?

Its a pretty sweet gig he has landed himself.

It's pretty ridiculous considering I'm pretty sure he is required to actually do stuff if Vince or creative wanted him to.

Brok is pretty much robbing Vince blind.

They supply him a private jet to take him to and from Raw and all he does is stand in the ring and smirk, the man has the best job in the world right now.

Recall

It's pretty ridiculous considering I'm pretty sure he is required to actually do stuff if Vince or creative wanted him to.

So you think Brock just standing there was Brock's idea and not Vince's?

These recent WWE shows have all been terribly booked and this is in line with their terrible booking so seems less like Brock standing his ground but more that creative just don't know how to do anything.

Watched the SHINE iPPV over the weekend, pretty solid event, nothing spectacular and a few duds but the Neveah vs Mia Yim 2/3 falls match was pretty good. Move of the night was this cartwheel kneedrop from Crazy Mary Dobson;

nGs4G5L.gif

Watched some random matches while everyone was watching RAW last night as well, an Ishikawa vs Ikeda war from '97;

ruGy16w.gif

Kanemoto almost murdering Kaz Hayashi from the '98 BoSJ;

YOENQlT.gif

And Baba vs Gene Kiniski from 1967;

pG7oyJk.gif

The crowd were crazy in that match, totally went mad when Gene was beating Baba bloody. Notice in the gif above the fan that jumps on the apron and tries to shake Gene off the ropes, the whole place was going nuts, especially when he started to lock in a claw hold on Baba's throat. Incidentally, Gene was the NWA World Champion at the time, but the match was being fought for Baba's NWA International title which he retained. JWA wanted to raise the stock of the international belt and having Baba beat the NWA World Champ did just that.

Toki767

So you think Brock just standing there was Brock's idea and not Vince's?

These recent WWE shows have all been terribly booked and this is in line with their terrible booking so seems less like Brock standing his ground but more that creative just don't know how to do anything.

The opposite. Him standing there has to be Vince's idea.

This is the same company that doesn't advertise him for appearances because they don't want him to have leverage that he's a draw.

Nekofrog

Banned
as a casual observer/poster of this thread

this thread has ups and downs. the downs are really really really down because they usually consist of the usual gimmick posters who try to drive home their gimmick in ridiculous ways that just make the thread not fun to visit

theres like (get ready for numbers from my ass) 10% interesting and valuable conversation, 60% gimmick posters (you know who you are) who do dont contribute anything of note, and 30% goofy but fun shit (arn anderson talk. don't beat me up, arn sempai).

i'm not going to name names, but there are several people who seem to make it their job to make this thread miserable

Toki767

as a casual observer/poster of this thread

this thread has ups and downs. the downs are really really really down because they usually consist of the usual gimmick posters who try to drive home their gimmick in ridiculous ways that just make the thread not fun to visit

theres like (get ready for numbers from my ass) 10% interesting and valuable conversation, 60% gimmick posters (you know who you are) who do dont contribute anything of note, and 30% goofy but fun shit (arn anderson talk. don't beat me up, arn sempai).

i'm not going to name names, but there are several people who seem to make it their job to make this thread miserable

Art imitating life basically. Just like WWE, people do a bunch of stupid stuff and wonder why others on the outside don't take them seriously.

bjork

So like are they ever gonna have Brok and Reigns in the ring face to face, fight it out at least once before Mania?

Heyman's great but he can only do so much.

I would actually prefer it if they didn't. Back in the good old days, you'd tease it and then it wouldn't happen, but then when it finally did, people went apeshit. Like when Macho finally got his hands on Jake back in 91, forget about it. No story generates a pop like that any more*.

*dickhead smarks yes chanting because they think they're part of the show doesn't count

[edit - taken from the "saddest extinction" thread:

That's right.

I would actually prefer it if they didn't. Back in the good old days, you'd tease it and then it wouldn't happen, but then when it finally did, people went apeshit. Like when Macho finally got his hands on Jake back in 91, forget about it. No story generates a pop like that any more*.

*dickhead smarks yes chanting because they think they're part of the show doesn't count

[edit - taken from the "saddest extinction" thread:

That's right.
that kind of build does not work here, holding back to that extent works when the heel is truly hated and despicable and the crowd is invested in the story.

Brock/Reigns have no story with each other and Brock is damn near the face in this feud, they need to do something to give this shit some heat.

and they aren't even teasing confrontations, they flat out ignore each other when they're on the same show.

Hasney

I like how all the tools crawl back into the darkness when I wake up.

Dayman (ah-ah-ah)
Fighter of the Nightmen (ah-ah-ah)

bjork

that kind of build does not work here, holding back to that extent works when the heel is truly hated and despicable and the crowd is invested in the story.

Brock/Reigns have no story with each other and Brock is damn near the face in this feud, they need to do something to give this shit some heat.

So let's say you're the booker, what do you do? I'm honestly curious.

So let's say you're the booker, what do you do? I'm honestly curious.

Making Roman vs Brock a superhot fued would likely require going back to the beginning and I don't care nearly enough to play armchair booker for this shit friend, that's WWEs job not mine.

bjork

Making Roman vs Brock a superhot fued would likely require going back to the beginning and I don't care nearly enough to play armchair booker for this shit friend, that's WWEs job not mine.

So you know what won't work, but don't know what will. You should apply to be a writer! :)

bjork

I'n sending in my resume as we type.

All joking aside, I'm expecting something as close as they can get to a double turn. Roman seems like he'd fare better as a heel, and I think people would appreciate seeing Brock clobber Show and Kane, maybe even retire them.

Couldn't Cena have offered a career vs title match to rusev? Rusev could have been shown as the man to put Cena out and accepted just on that and then still have him be a badass till mania, but no, they made him look shitty.

bjork

Couldn't Cena have offered a career vs title match to rusev? Rusev could have been shown as the man to put Cena out and accepted just on that and then still have him be a badass till mania, but no, they made him look shitty.

One thing I dislike is the mixed messages WWE sends. They talk about all this Be a Star shit, but then a top good guy like Cena gets his way by being a bully.

Top Bottom