• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

honestly, the undertaker was pretty much just the streak after he became a part timer
The streak whould have meant squat if it wasn't own by a beloved wrestler like The Undertaker.

This guy has been having great matches for decades, and we cared not because he was 21-0, but because he had earned the respect and admiration of the fans.

Anyone who thinks the Undertaker isn't an instant sell to even the most casual fan is delusional.

oh don't get me wrong. I know taker can still fill seats and sell the ppv.

criticizing the creative choices and logic behind the match

the guy has been booked for one match once a year for about five years now. that one match being about his WM streak. his career for the last five years has been just about his streak. it's stupid and redundant at this point to continue booking him the same way with his streak over.

wm30 should of been his retirement match.

oh don't get me wrong. I know taker can still fill seats and sell the ppv.

criticizing the creative choices and logic behind the match

the guy has been booked for one match once a year for about five years now. that one match being about his WM streak. his career for the last five years has been just about his streak. it's stupid and redundant at this point to continue booking him the same way with his streak over.

wm30 should of been his retirement match.
I expect this one to be his retirement match, which is why I'm nervous on how the WWE will handle it.

Ithil

Chants are usually started by a single person.

Not in an 80k stadium. In fact watching WM 30 I recall hearing pockets of chants at entirely different sections of the stadium. It could be a thousand people chanting and it's still a minute part of the crowd.

Remember it's like 4-5 regular RAW arenas combined. There's nearly no chants that go to the whole stadium, and if there are they tend to be started by someone in the ring, not in the crowd.

Scott hall in the mustache hall of fame

tumblr_nl2yznNxgt1rg89a6o1_540.jpg

Paracelsus

The last match will obviously be a buried alive match versus Kane, in which Wyatt will interfere to take his revenge against Undertaker and it'll end in a no-contest, as both get buried in dirt and finally retire for good.

Alo0oy

Banned
Not in an 80k stadium. In fact watching WM 30 I recall hearing pockets of chants at entirely different sections of the stadium. It could be a thousand people chanting and it's still a minute part of the crowd.

Remember it's like 4-5 regular RAW arenas combined. There's nearly no chants that go to the whole stadium, and if there are they tend to be started by someone in the ring, not in the crowd.

I'm pretty sure the Daniel Bryan chant at 28 wasn't started by someone in the ring. Sure it's more difficult to start a chant at WM than Raw, but if you chant something everybody wants to chant, they'll chant with you, there are plenty of weird chants that can't possibly be pre-planned, including the DB chant at WM28 considering he came out to crickets prior to WM28.

16BitNova

Guys, who do you think will be the one to really retire The Undertaker? As much as I hate to say this, I honestly feel WWE is gonna go with John Cena.

iMax

CAApB3RVAAAYYDK.jpg

This should be good.

Guys, who do you think will be the one to really retire The Undertaker? As much as I hate to say this, I honestly feel WWE is gonna go with John Cena.

Does he have to lose? I want Sting to win this year and then get crushed by Taker next year.

If he has to lose, I'd probably be alright with Kane.

Aiii

So not worth it

Doesn't really matter anymore, streak is gone and now Taker is just another old guy showing up for a Mania payday. He isn't even bothering showing up for Raw to build this years match, not sure if that's on him or Creative, but whoever thought you could build interest in a match by having one-sided promo's and no actual heat was wrong. Dead wrong.

Seriously, either they should have never ended the streak or made sure it was actually Taker's final match to end it.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly sour about this, but I find it very hard to care about Taker at all, doesn't really help that this feud hasn't connected with me either.

I wish I could stop singing "SAY IT TO MY FACE" to myself. fuk u Riley

Why don't you say it to his face, huh?!

Paracelsus

The times the Deadman (not bearass Undertaker) disappered for considerable amounts of time he did because someone took him out, whether it was in a casket on fire, buried or chokeslammed off the stage.

Usually the send-off means a job, so whoever beats him will clearly be a heel. Cena would have to turn to do it.

16BitNova

Does he have to lose? I want Sting to win this year and then get crushed by Taker next year.

If he has to lose, I'd probably be alright with Kane.

I feel like it would have to be a loss. My recent memory of guys from Takers era retiring have been losses. Flair, Shawn Michaels.

16BitNova

Doesn't really matter anymore, streak is gone and now Taker is just another old guy showing up for a Mania payday. He isn't even bothering showing up for Raw to build this years match, not sure if that's on him or Creative, but whoever thought you could build interest in a match by having one-sided promo's and no actual heat was wrong. Dead wrong.

Seriously, either they should have never ended the streak or made sure it was actually Taker's final match to end it.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly sour about this, but I find it very hard to care about Taker at all, doesn't really help that this feud hasn't connected with me either.

Why don't you say it to his face, huh?!

I would say it still matters. I mean, its the retirement match of one of the biggest star/legends ever in the WWE. Its going to be a huge show of respect to whoever has that match with him. And ever bigger show of respect if whomever it is beats Taker in that match.

iMax

Damn, thinking about it, that would be a great way for Cena to turn heel. Just beat the hell out of the Undertaker.

It actually would.

Nice clean match, Cena pins him: 1, 2, 3. Cena helps him up, applauds him with the crowd, and as he walks off, ADJUSTS HIS ATTITUDE and beats him to death with a solid gold clock necklace.

Re-Introducing, Thug Cena.

joncena.gif

Alo0oy

Banned
It actually would.

Nice clean match, Cena pins him: 1, 2, 3. Cena helps him up, applauds him with the crowd, and as he walks off, ADJUSTS HIS ATTITUDE and beats him to death with a solid gold clock necklace.

Re-Introducing, Thug Cena.

joncena.gif

Thug Cena would be considered a face turn by me.

The streak whould have meant squat if it wasn't own by a beloved wrestler like The Undertaker.

This guy has been having great matches for decades, and we cared not because he was 21-0, but because he had earned the respect and admiration of the fans.

The streak wasn't forged on great matches - that only became a thing in the past decade or so. For the first ten years, it was him in largely awful matches, but with a lot of them being against historic names. He also hasn't really been having great matches for decades - maybe about 15 years, but he's been really inconsistent over the years too. I'd have Taker win at WM and then have him come out on the post-WM Raw and announce that his Last Ride will be at Cowboys Stadium. They've got a big building to fill, he's physically completely shot, and would get a hell of a payday if they could sell the building out quickly with just that advertised.

notworksafe

Yes thanks again for posting that code. I'm just sad I couldn't get floor seats. :(

Still got a full weekend:
Friday - Axxess & NXT
Saturday - SF trip for drinking & seeing friends
Sunday - WM
Monday - Raw

MC Safety

Undertaker should respect the carny code and give back to the sport by putting someone over. A few suggestions off the top of my head are: Ric Flair, John Cena, The Big Show, Kane, Shawn Michaels, or Triple H.

ryuen

Wow those NXT tickets are going pretty fast. Pretty close to a sellout it looks like, but I'm sure that they have some seats stowed away for general release on Monday. Was able to cop 4...so hype!!!

Top Bottom