• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Lame.

Austin didn't want anyone outside of people like Rock, Vince, etc. to know that it would be his final match, and they respected that wish.

Probably regretted doing so when the buyrate came in, though.
Yea I've heard about that, wonder what his take on it is now. I know that he regrets his heel turn in 2001, which I think would have been way better if he was a ruthless heel and not chicken shit scared.

Were the buy rates that bad for 19? It had a really good card and some good hype going in as I remember.

Anth0ny

Lame.

Yea I've heard about that, wonder what his take on it is now. I know that he regrets his heel turn in 2001, which I think would have been way better if he was a ruthless heel and not chicken shit scared.

Were the buy rates that bad for 19? It had a really good card and some good hype going in as I remember.

It's crazy when you really think about it. All I can think of is... the product was going through a down period. The attitude era was over, and people just stopped watching, even though there was some insane talent on that card.

Also, they really, really pushed Hogan vs. Vince for that show for whatever reason. Meltzer said Vince was never a draw for PPV, and that's what hurt the buyrate. They definitely should have pushed Rock vs. Austin way harder, or at least Angle vs. Lesnar.

As for Austin keeping his final match a secret, I think he just wanted to go out like a badass. I kind of like that about his in ring retirement. No emotional ending. It's just over. Tough shit.

edit: here's some of the buyrates for comparison:

WrestleMania 13 - 237,000 (Lowest Buyrate Record)
WrestleMania XIV - 730,000 (Austin Era Begins)
WrestleMania XV - 800,000
WrestleMania 2000 - 824,000
WrestleMania X-Seven - 1,040,000 (Attitude Era ends)
WrestleMania X8 - 880,000
WrestleMania XIX - 560,000
WrestleMania XX - 1,007,000
WrestleMania 21 - 1,085,000

It's hovered around 1 million buys since.

Attitude Era peaked at X-Seven, took a step down with X8, then fucking cratered with 19 for some reason. Then right back up with 20. What was it about 20 that brought it back to 1 million? Benoit and Eddie? Goldberg vs. Lesnar?

It was an over 300k drop from 18, so definitely considered a big disappointment. I think there's a few widely held reasons for that: ratings dropping considerably during 2002, Vince never being a draw in actual matches (especially when he's clearly being seen as competitive against Hogan), fans had already seen two Rock/Austin matches at WM 15 and this one at the time didn't seem as important, Lesnar and Angle had plenty of encounters in the months leading to Mania so it wasn't all that special, and the Booker T/HHH feud was pretty bad.

A real shame, since it's a top 3 Mania, easy.

Attitude Era peaked at X-Seven, took a step down with X8, then fucking cratered with 19 for some reason. Then right back up with 20. What was it about 20 that brought it back to 1 million? Benoit and Eddie? Goldberg vs. Lesnar?
I do believe WWE began to report international buys with WM 20, which is a big part of why the buyrates have been consistently over 1 million since. Manias also began to get a lot more build up post 19, with things like the sign being introduced for 20 and really pushing it as the biggest event of the year, so that certainly plays a factor too.

Paracelsus

, then fucking cratered with 19 for some reason.

Irrelevant world title (I wonder if people saw Buried T coming) and marquee match (Rock had lost twice in title matches, beating a broken mess of a near-retired Austin meant absolutely nothing). 18 had Hogan and Rock at least.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wrasslemania XII is probably the lowest profile Wrasslemania yet is still treated as the biggest deal of the year.

Starrcade in comparison was not protected at all. Hogan, who only showed up at big shows, actually skipped a couple. It had to fight many years with Halloween Havoc and Fall Brawl for biggest show of the year.

Anth0ny

I do believe WWE began to report international buys with WM 20, which is a big part of why the buyrates have been consistently over 1 million since. Manias also began to get a lot more build up post 19, with things like the sign being introduced for 20 and really pushing it as the biggest event of the year, so that certainly plays a factor too.

so you're telling me 17 did 1 million buys domestic?

bruh

so you're telling me 17 did 1 million buys domestic?

bruh
lol, is that so ridiculous? It was headlined by the two most popular stars of the most popular era of wrestling during that era. I believe Dave Meltzer has stated they sold 50k tickets for 17 on the first day. There's just no question Rock/Austin is the biggest match in wrestling history.

I'm watching The Marine and I wasn't expecting so many random ass gags and jokes tbh. Or Slade from Arrow. Or Robert Patrick to be ridiculous as hell and kinda carry this movie

NYyKubq.jpg

I dont like where this going

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just call me Jpeeples83 because I'm posting a creepshot
UvZuFIJ.png

Irrelevant world title (I wonder if people saw Buried T coming) and marquee match (Rock had lost twice in title matches, beating a broken mess of a near-retired Austin meant absolutely nothing). 18 had Hogan and Rock at least.
You're wrong bruh, the third Austin/Rock was great along with some worthy match ups all along the roster. Sure there wasn't gimmick matches but it didn't feel missing.

But yea 17 will always be my GOAT.

y'know The Marine was not quite as bad as i thought it'd be. I mean, it's bad still, but it wasn't boring, and it was pretty goofy and Robert Patrick is pretty incredible. despite the many flaws (like John Cena when he's doing anything aside from action, good lord). I'll post some gifs later, maybe, but now onto The Marine 3: Homefront

y'know The Marine was not quite as bad as i thought it'd be. I mean, it's bad still, but it wasn't boring, and it was pretty goofy and Robert Patrick is pretty incredible. despite the many flaws (like John Cena when he's doing anything aside from action, good lord). I'll post some gifs later, maybe, but now onto The Marine 3: Homefront
ibs1oU48ox6grG.gif

When does Vylash, lovely ladies and Titus come back???

It's crazy when you really think about it. All I can think of is... the product was going through a down period. The attitude era was over, and people just stopped watching, even though there was some insane talent on that card.

Also, they really, really pushed Hogan vs. Vince for that show for whatever reason. Meltzer said Vince was never a draw for PPV, and that's what hurt the buyrate. They definitely should have pushed Rock vs. Austin way harder, or at least Angle vs. Lesnar.

As for Austin keeping his final match a secret, I think he just wanted to go out like a badass. I kind of like that about his in ring retirement. No emotional ending. It's just over. Tough shit.

Damn at that increase from 13 to 14. I wonder what the buy rate would have been for 31 without the network.

Vylash

More on CureVylash's mysterious absence from NeoGAF, more to the story?

Dave Meltzer noted on the latest episode of Wrestling Observer Radio that there was "more to the story," although he doesn't know what the story is.

"The story is ongoing and still in progress," Meltzer said. "All i know is, somebody snitched, but who that is, I do not know."

Meltzer decided to do a little more digging into the situation: "My search led me to the name draculA, but who that is, i do not know"

Meltzer also noted that he doesn't think that CureVylash's invaluable contributions to WrassleGAF are in jeopardy at all, but that CureVylash is even more embarrased by "weak ass wrestling nerds" than ever before, something he "honestly didn't think was possible"

More on this story as it develops

Anth0ny

lol, is that so ridiculous? It was headlined by the two most popular stars of the most popular era of wrestling during that era. I believe Dave Meltzer has stated they sold 50k tickets for 17 on the first day. There's just no question Rock/Austin is the biggest match in wrestling history.

Oh no, I totally believe it. I'm just amazed. I wonder what the international buys were like that year... why would they only start keeping track of those numbers with 20? Seems a bit strange.

Does Reigns always have this derp face?

Someone on Reddit thinks they blur the background when Roman is cutting a promo because they don't want the TV viewer to see how bored the crowd is.

funny theory

rrc1594

Why did Bret leave WWE again, because I know it wasn't for that Starcade 1997 bullshit. Hogan Vs. Sting was a shit match my god why have him pin legally just to reverse it WTF

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Dave Meltzer noted on the latest episode of Wrestling Observer Radio that there was "more to the story," although he doesn't know what the story is.
"The story is ongoing and still in progress," Meltzer said. "All i know is, somebody snitched, but who that is, I do not know."
"All i know is, somebody snitched, but who that is, I do not know."
but who that is, I do not know."
I do not know.
lZqSeec.gif

Top Bottom