• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

It's taken a decade for the UK Scene to build itself to how it is, since it felt like it fell on it's arse. 1PW, Real Quality Wrestling, Irish Whiplash all seemed to suddenly scale back their shows. I think there was some fallout from one of the Owners/Promoters being a con artists and pocketing money he owed people. I think The Wrestling Channel hurt Real Quality Wrestling and the London Promotion they aired. I can imagine FWA's caused issues too.

Alucard

Banned
Why the fuck DO you guys get so bent out of shape about WWE printing stuff on the backs of their shirts?

medium.png

"Hey, I'd buy that!"

DYBXmis.png

"Uhh, nevermind."

Wyatt_shirt.0.jpg

"Pretty cool t-shirt...oh wait, nope. Scribbled shit on the back."

Mind you, there are actually some really nice t-shirts available right now.

W08574.jpg
W08986.jpg

bjork

See now, I would wear that Goldust shirt and I'd be minding my business, and some fucking guy would come up like, "HEY BRAH YOU LIKE GOLDUST I LIKE GOLDUST TOO REMEMBER WHEN HE WANTED TO BITE BOOKER T'S WEINER HA HA THAT WAS FUNNY DUDE FFFFFFFFFFFFFF" and start biting the air at me and shit.

I once had a dude follow me through best buy asking me if I was from Giant Bomb and what are the guys really like, because I had a giant bomb shirt on.

99% of the time I roll with just an all-black t-shirt. Goth kids are too soft to come get up in my grill about how much they like black.

See now, I would wear that Goldust shirt and I'd be minding my business, and some fucking guy would come up like, "HEY BRAH YOU LIKE GOLDUST I LIKE GOLDUST TOO REMEMBER WHEN HE WANTED TO BITE BOOKER T'S WEINER HA HA THAT WAS FUNNY DUDE FFFFFFFFFFFFFF" and start biting the air at me and shit.

Haha I just saw that one the other day! Goldust/Booker & The NWO are pretty damn funny.

Please tell me that says WWE 00 on the back.

There were three options

* McMahon 1
* WWE 4 Life
* Network 999

I hope this turd thing backfires really, really hard: I hope Roman Reigns is bombarded with "you're a turd" chants at WM and I hope they follow him through his entire career. It would be unfortunate to ruin a promising talent like that, but maybe WWE would learn an important lesson.

It's taken a decade for the UK Scene to build itself to how it is, since it felt like it fell on it's arse. 1PW, Real Quality Wrestling, Irish Whiplash all seemed to suddenly scale back their shows. I think there was some fallout from one of the Owners/Promoters being a con artists and pocketing money he owed people. I think The Wrestling Channel hurt Real Quality Wrestling and the London Promotion they aired. I can imagine FWA's caused issues too.

LDN was the London promotion and, yeah, they scaled back too - TWC going down the pan didn't help anybody involved. Also, the UK scene has been notoriously rife with scumbags and con-artists over the years. I find it funny that those same people shit on promotions like PROGRESS & ICW for being run by 'non-wrestling people' or 'money marks', when those promotions are doing a better, more professional job than every promotion left standing from the last 'boom' in British wrestling. There's a lot of jealousy, especially when they see something like ICW on the BBC, or PROGRESS on Sky Sports News.

Alucard

Banned
You really question why you watch modern WWE if you watch a good New Japan show and any Lucha Underground episode back-to-back.

LDN was the London promotion and, yeah, they scaled back too - TWC going down the pan didn't help anybody involved. Also, the UK scene has been notoriously rife with scumbags and con-artists over the years. I find it funny that those same people shit on promotions like PROGRESS & ICW for being run by 'non-wrestling people' or 'money marks', when those promotions are doing a better, more professional job than every promotion left standing from the last 'boom' in British wrestling. There's a lot of jealousy, especially when they see something like ICW on the BBC, or PROGRESS on Sky Sports News.

LDN that was it! What happened to the Asian guy who was on RQW and LDN, I remember thinking he was a sort of entertaining manager. All I remember from the last boom within the UK was that all the promotions had the same 7 people involved, and even at their best could only manage book smokey Workmen's Clubs or Sports Halls. I can't remember any real WWE Talent coming over other than D-Lo and Raven.

This current boom feels a lot more organic, and like you said WAY more professional. Each promotion has their own style and feel to it, and there's a general sense of 'territories' to it all, but then I see promotions working together to get shows on in each others' area too.

bjork

You really question why you watch modern WWE if you watch a good New Japan show and any Lucha Underground episode back-to-back.

I think I'll cancel my subscription if Reigns, Cena, and Undertaker all win. I'll just have to watch NXT on Hulu.

You guys should all be using my method: read the reports, look for a clip on youtube if something sounds interesting enough to actually spend time watching, and use the time you saved not watching wrestling, sitting in here reading posts bitching about how bad the show is from people who did sit through it. It really is freeing.

LDN that was it! What happened to the Asian guy who was on RQW and LDN, I remember thinking he was a sort of entertaining manager.

The Director? Can't remember his name, but he managed the Bollywood stable.

All I remember from the last boom within the UK was that all the promotions had the same 7 people involved, and even at their best could only manage book smokey Workmen's Clubs or Sports Halls. I can't remember any real WWE Talent coming over other than D-Lo and Raven.

There was a lot of young talent who were promising, but not quite there yet, guys like Haskins, Marty, Ligero, etc, so yeah it was mostly the same small group of guys getting booked up and down the country. Doug, Johnny Storm, Fleisch, Sheamus, Johnny Moss, and so on.

This current boom feels a lot more organic, and like you said WAY more professional. Each promotion has their own style and feel to it, and there's a general sense of 'territories' to it all, but then I see promotions working together to get shows on in each others' area too.

Definitely, I feel like this boom is the real deal, as well - plus, with the internet and whatnot, there's so much more international interest in British wrestling. It used to be that all fans Stateside knew of wrestling in Europe was the 16 Carat tournament and that FWA/ROH show.

I'm not sure El Ligero has stopped in 15 years or so, he really deserves all the attention he's getting in the UK (and more).

As soon as you mentioned the Bollywood Stable memories came back, I found that pretty entertaining.

Also at the time people should have known 1PW was on borrowed time, since they were booking out Doncaster Dome on a near weekly basis...

So I looked at a comic thread here. Comic threads are insane.

Oh yeah, if you think this place is crazy about booking decisions... Are they going mental about ANOTHER Marvel Reboot?

bjork

Oh yeah, if you think this place is crazy about booking decisions... Are they going mental about ANOTHER Marvel Reboot?

There's some batman cover with art that's very clearly a reference to an older story, and people are arguing over what it's trying to say, etc. I kinda miss the old days of the internet, when about 5% of the people who have it now, were actually online.

Jamie OD

The thing that blew my mind was before Progress came along nobody (at least among the people I was familiar with) in the UK wanted to run wrestling shows in London. And when Progress attempted it all of the veteran promoters thought what they were doing was suicide. In hindsight that is incredibly out of touch. Imagine nobody wanting to run in New York.

There seems to be a better balance between accepting new ideas and looking at what worked in the past. Progress is a British PWG and ICW is a British ECW while still coming off as fresh products with their own identity. As much as everyone seems to be embarrassed by the legacy of Big Daddy, that kind of big (excuse the pun) over the top character is definitely needed and does still work. Hence why Grado has become a big deal. Zack Sabre Jr is to me what a modern top British technical wrestler should be. Also Jimmy Havoc and Marty Scurll are both great heels.

THERE IS SO MUCH GOOD WRESTLING OUT THERE NOW. We've got AAA and New Japan on weekly TV, ROH, TNA back on track to some degree, and lots of other good stuff going on with Suzuki-gun in NOAH.

Gonzalez

Banned
There's some batman cover with art that's very clearly a reference to an older story, and people are arguing over what it's trying to say, etc. I kinda miss the old days of the internet, when about 5% of the people who have it now, were actually online.

We need another extreme era, and I'm not just talking about comics. I mean all over pop-culture. An extreme era that would wash away all this BA Star, PC, looking for outrage bullshit that has been plaguing all media for the last few years.

Alucard

Banned
THERE IS SO MUCH GOOD WRESTLING OUT THERE NOW. We've got AAA and New Japan on weekly TV, ROH, TNA back on track to some degree, and lots of other good stuff going on with Suzuki-gun in NOAH.

Agreed. Almost too much sometimes. I don't even follow NXT. Kind of go through cycles where I watch what's hot and getting good buzz. Right now, that's Lucha Underground and NJPW. ROH is okay, but really missing Adam Cole. And this KRD angle is doing nothing for me, which is a shame because it will likely result in Adam Cole revealing himself as the mastermind behind it.

notworksafe

That's fucking horrid. I'm amazed at WWE's inability to produce a shirt I'd actually wear - if they stopped printing dumb shit on the back, that'd be a start.

http://shop.wwe.com/WWE-Junk-Food-Apparel/junk-food,default,sc.html

These are pretty nice looking and have nothing on the back. I nabbed the Ambrose one and it's very good quality.

As far as WWE shirts attracting weird fans, it's only happened twice for me. Both times was my DBrine shirt. One was a pizza delivery guy that wanted to get into deep conversation about why it's unfair people don't like Cena. The other was a ~8 year old girl in the grocery store that saw my shirt and started chanting "Daniel Bryan! Yes Yes Yes!", which was pretty cute.

bjork

We need another extreme era, and I'm not just talking about comics. I mean all over pop-culture. An extreme era that would wash away all this BA Star, PC, looking for outrage bullshit that has been plaguing all media for the last few years.

It's not an extreme era we need, people just need to quit being bitches about everything ever. I don't know what will make it happen, but man does it need to.

scabro

http://shop.wwe.com/WWE-Junk-Food-Apparel/junk-food,default,sc.html

These are pretty nice looking and have nothing on the back. I nabbed the Ambrose one and it's very good quality.

As far as WWE shirts attracting weird fans, it's only happened twice for me. Both times was my DBrine shirt. One was a pizza delivery guy that wanted to get into deep conversation about why it's unfair people don't like Cena. The other was a ~8 year old girl in the grocery store that saw my shirt and started chanting "Daniel Bryan! Yes Yes Yes!", which was pretty cute.

you should have told Bionic to get back to work

That's at what, 17 or so pages now?

It sucks that people are so short sighted and territorial about their products. Anyone who watches ICW is much more likely to be interested in local wrestling than the average consumer. I assume that a local promotion could book some of the guys on those shows and then that tv show basically becomes promotion for you.

Vylash

somehow the fact that you want an era where people don't try to discourage bullying and being general assholes to each other doesn't really shock me

somedevil

Some TNA spoilers from last night:

The wolves gave up the titles because of Edwards heel injury and it looks like from the spoilers they don't have an explanation of Joe's sudden disappearance.

Plus Drew has his own faction now made up of
Shaun Ricker and the former Camacho

lol at the second person in the group

So the house show was fun last night

QStIC7W.jpg

4NJrCFU.jpg

OfFrDbY.jpg

Card was
Fandango vs Eric Rowan (Rowan win)
Fandango vs R- Truth (R-truth win)
Goldust vs Stardust (goldust win)
Lucha dragons vs Tyler breeze & Bo-Dallas
(Lucha dragons win)
Summer Rae & sasha banks vs Natalya & Emma
(Natalya & Emma win)
Daniel bryan vs Luke Harper (bryan win)
Dean Ambrose vs Wade Barrett (Barrett win)
Main event street fight
Roman reigns vs Kane (roman win)

So it was weird during the start of the show R-truth had the intercontinental title after he won stardust attacked him and stole it.
Then after stardust lost dean ambrose attacked stardust and stole it then finally the belt ended up back with Barrett it was corny as hell.

So abbotsford is mark city it's still real to them dammit!

so couple of notes.

-fandango had the most heat out of all the heels crowd HATED him

-bryan had the biggest pop of the night and crowd was hot for bryan

-lots of women and girls with roman reigns merch & signs he also got the 2nd biggest pop of the night crowd was hot for reigns

-Natalya got a huge reaction from the crowd divas match was pretty long to boot crowd was into it

-Bo-dollas got booed when he came out but as the match went on more and more of his supporters were being vocal and he had some of the loudest chants of the night
"We BOlieve We BOlieve"
"BO,BO,BO" "We want BO!"

-wwe asked the location that no drinks be served in bottles or can and had to poured in a cup in fear of people throwing stuff at the wrestlers

-there is NO merch only decent shirt last night was the macho man one which sold out pretty quick LOTS and LOTS of cena merch

-speaking of cena he had the most merch worn by a country mile then followed by dean ambrose,daniel bryan,roman reigns,dolph Ziggler

-crowd was bored during Barrett & ambrose and chanted cm punk . . .

-Barrett and fandango were the only two to cut promos

All in all a fun night of pure wrestling reminded me of wrestle kingdom with back to back matches I also recommend anyone going to a house show but floor seats there's no kids it's great

notworksafe

somehow the fact that you want an era where people don't try to discourage bullying and being general assholes to each other doesn't really shock me

People are still general assholes to each other all the time now, especially on the internet. Only difference is now it's if you're on the "wrong" side of the outrage of the moment.

Guess I'll finish WM28 today at some point. Good thing I'm almost done with this marathon. I'm running out of steam near the end haha

I need to finish Day 3 of NJPW Cup....the video player always goes to crap for me.

The third show on NJPWorld is just a house show full of multi-man matches so its not really required viewing. I've noticed they have a lot of buffering issues at peak times in Japan but if you wait until its mid-day or night there it works much better.

Alucard

Banned
I need to finish Day 3 of NJPW Cup....the video player always goes to crap for me.

Really? Been perfect for me for the past month. Had some hiccups initially when they switched to the new player, but been great since that first week of the changeover.

RP912

Banned
Really? Been perfect for me for the past month. Had some hiccups initially when they switched to the new player, but been great since that first week of the changeover.

It depends on what video I watch. I was trying to watch a January 4th show with Jado/Gedo as a tag team and the buffering was insane (which was a given since they suck), but still it's an annoyance.

RP912

Banned
Think I'm going to have a Bullet Club timeline viewing today. Is there like playlist to watch on NJPWorld with all of their matches/segments?

So last night I watched the only 2003-2005 Raw that is avaliable on the Network. That is the 2005 first draft night, when Cena debuts on Raw.

My god, the pop that Cena got was huge. How did WWE fucked this up? Maybe it is true that avoiding Bryan as the top guy and Vince running him is saving him.

Anyway, I wish there were 2004 Raw's. It's a missing void.

Top Bottom